• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Mels-hole1984

Quote from: jazmunda on July 30, 2013, 12:25:58 AM
Hey Mel, Do you like Captain Spalding (referring to your avatar). They are a local Aussie band and I used to see them at many clubs that I frequented in the 90s. They used to play at a lot of the same venues as mates of mine who were also in bands at the time. Fun times.

My avatar is in homage to Art Bell and a movie called House of 1000 Corpses...Sorry to say, I haven't heard of them bro...I am a metalhead though...I live in America...I don't get to the Outback much.

onan

Quote from: Morgus on July 30, 2013, 12:59:06 AM
does Sirius/XM provide such stats to the public about their shows?

Not that I am aware of...

In all honesty some of the programs have to be vanity shows.

Some shows, I doubt, have 200 listeners.

morphiaflow

If it truly is sans commercials, it'll be interesting to see how much of Art's classic music makes it into the show since there won't need to be bumpers.

Wonder if Ross Mitchell will be around for this...if it will conflict with his Cumulus gig. And I really do hope he picks up Knapp and Punnett, if either or both of them are possible. If he gets all three, his show will be Classic Coast in all but name.

As to how, whether and when Art will address the topic of Coast on-air--I think some people want/expect a frontal attack. I think it will be more along the lines of--not evasive, not disingenuous, but he will find a way to be honest and blunt without being catty. He'll maintain a certain level of professionalism about it--"saddened", "disappointed", "diluted", and--yes--"not edgy enough" are all along the lines of what we will hear. I doubt we'll hear him directly say "Dave Noorie sucks." Even if he thinks it. :)

Morgus

Some have posted that Sirius/XM is commercial free and others say Sirius shows have more commercials than AM radio programs.
What will be the case for Art's new 3 hour show?
I assume he will need some break time during the show that he used before on the old shows.

For me, every cent that goes to something besides food means my nutrition suffers.  I wish Art all the best on this endeavor and hope there will be alternative options to stream his show.

Morgus

Quote from: lonevoice on July 30, 2013, 12:55:30 AM
I wonder if we'll have an equivalent of fast blast again.  Hope so.  It gave the live show more of a sense of immediacy to be able to message Art while he was inteviewing a guest.  He'd usually take the time during commercials to read his fast blasts so he could ask his guest about listener questions and comments.
Now that Art Bell has both twitter and facebook he will probably use those in the future for messaging?

onan

Quote from: Morgus on July 30, 2013, 01:02:27 AM
Some have posted that Sirius/XM is commercial free and others say Sirius shows have more commercials than AM radio programs.
What will be the case for Art's new 3 hour show?
I assume he will need some break time during the show that he used before on the old shows.

I haven't heard one talk show without ads. Ever.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ringthane on July 30, 2013, 01:01:01 AM
7/29. Geddy Lee's birthday.

Happy 60th to the "ribster" indeed.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 30, 2013, 01:02:50 AM
For me, every cent that goes to something besides food means my nutrition suffers.  I wish Art all the best on this endeavor and hope there will be alternative options to stream his show.

start taking raw meal from garden of life.  it's cheaper than food, and better for you in most cases.  two problems solved.

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2013, 01:06:12 AM
start taking raw meal from garden of life.  it's cheaper than food, and better for you in most cases.  two problems solved.

I'll check it out.

morphiaflow

Quote from: ringthane on July 30, 2013, 01:01:01 AM
7/29. Geddy Lee's birthday.

Ringthane, I changed my avatar just because you posted this. (It's still me with a famous Jewish Canadian, though. One of these days, I'll get a pic with Lorne Michaels and my triumph will be complete.)

I had already acknowledged Geddy's birthday on my Facebook, but damn, it's awesome you know this. I have a feeling our politics may be a bit different, but you're a fan of Rush and Stephen R. Donaldson--so you're OK in my book.

popple

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2013, 01:00:56 AM
multiple times, i've heard opie and anthony say the company (sirius xm) won't even tell them how many people are listening to their show.  based on that, i'd say it's probably not likely.

Well, that blows.

Quote from: ringthane on July 30, 2013, 12:54:43 AM
If I can't find 50¢ a day to listen to Art, then I deserve Dave Noorie.

I'M CACKLING @ THIS HAHA! But isn't this 20 cents more than the Dave insiders club? + you get special dave time.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2013, 12:58:50 AM
it could be done very easily.  in real time.

It doesn't sound very legal to me.

Mels-hole1984

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 30, 2013, 01:02:50 AM

Well fuck! I'm out of work right now, and even I will find a way to hear the new Art Bell show.

coaster

Quote from: ringthane on July 30, 2013, 12:54:43 AM

For the "I won't pay for radio" crowd. I understand, but I don't. I made rockstar money up until 2008 or so... now... heh. Ouch. But even though I'm in Mac-and-Cheese mode, I still find the money to pay for superfluous bullshit like World of Warcraft, etc. Budgets can be adjusted. If I can't find 50¢ a day to listen to Art, then I deserve Dave Noorie.

If there was a way to just pay for Art's show and not all the other bullshit, I'd gladly pay. But it's like paying a hefty cable bill for one good channel and a thousand infomercials. Fuck that.

onan

I am not a SiriusXM spokesperson. I listen for maybe an hour a day, mostly to comedy.

I have not heard an ad free channel. I am sure they are there. But all the talk... ads. Art will be the same.

popple

Quote from: coaster on July 30, 2013, 01:08:49 AM
If there was a way to just pay for Art's show and not all the other bullshit, I'd gladly pay. But it's like paying a hefty cable bill for one good channel and a thousand infomercials. Fuck that.

I think you can buy the shows on iTunes for like $1.99... but of course they wont be live and in the end you'll end up paying more.

Eddie Coyle

That family I was sponsoring in Liberia for the "cost of a cup of coffee a day"

Change of plans, fuckers! Enjoy that boy soldiering thing, Art's back!

ringthane

Quote from: morphiaflow on July 30, 2013, 01:07:06 AM
Ringthane, I changed my avatar just because you posted this. (It's still me with a famous Jewish Canadian, though. One of these days, I'll get a pic with Lorne Michaels and my triumph will be complete.)

I had already acknowledged Geddy's birthday on my Facebook, but damn, it's awesome you know this. I have a feeling our politics may be a bit different, but you're a fan of Rush and Stephen R. Donaldson--so you're OK in my book.

Indeed, Morphia!

re: politics, I'm a blithering idiot full of sound and fury, signifying not a whole hell of a lot. Despite my leanings I can't listen to right wing radio anymore. I detest echo chambers of any sort. Diogenes would have a fucking field day if he were alive today.

Which is why Art's return is such a welcome respite.

Just heard the news! Holy shit! Time to get a Sirius internet subscription! Can't wait to go through the posts I've missed and catch up on all the analysis and speculation.

Also,
BRING BACK THE MULTICOLORED EXCLAMATION POINTS PLS

Mels-hole1984

"Vicariously, I watch while the whole world dies...much better you than I."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc6TY5_Nk8k#

No new posts in the past ten minutes?

Is Dave that captivating tonight?

ringthane

We need a pre-debut party here on the 16th. I may weep openly.

Mels-hole1984

Quote from: ringthane on July 30, 2013, 01:30:28 AM
We need a pre-debut party here on the 16th. I may weep openly.

I think the anticipation has died down...Most people don't give a fuck,... others will listen...I know I'm a new subscriber to xm...oh well.

HMC

I'm, at the very least, getting the 30 free trial to hear the first show. Ya gotta hear the first show, people!

elbee

let me get this straight? Hes doing a satellite ONLY show? Can other normal stations syndicate the new show? How will UK people like me listen to this new show?

Larkin

Quote from: onan on July 30, 2013, 12:14:42 AM
I may start a site... members only. And it may well offer some sound files that are unique... if you get my meaning.

I would like to be a member, please.

onan

Quote from: El Bee on July 30, 2013, 01:46:45 AM
let me get this straight? Hes doing a satellite ONLY show? Can other normal stations syndicate the new show? How will UK people like me listen to this new show?

http://www.start-vpn.com/blog/2012/06/21/sirius-outside-us-how-to-listen-to-sirius-xm-from-abroad-633081/

How to bypass the restriction for Sirius XM web radio?
You just have to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network). This app allows you to connect to a special server that gives new IP. Once it’s done, you browse behind the identity of the server.

The Sirius website isn’t able to detect the change, your access is granted. However be careful of connecting to a U.S. VPN server, in order to appear as an American user.

Larkin

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 30, 2013, 12:19:51 AM
I wish Art well, but I'm not about to pay a dime to listen to the radio.

Pretty disappointing. But then, I really wasnt expecting much :-\

As someone pointed out, the shows will likely be available on torrent sites.