• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

popple

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 30, 2013, 02:16:15 PM
Knapp tweeted this:

George Knapp
‏@g_knapp
The master, Art Bell, returning to radio:  http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_23757348/art-bell-returning-radio-sirius-show-about-paranormal …

Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

Class act.

Always liked Knappy. Great to see his support. I do hope he will be the TBA on the Art Bell's Dark Matter schedule  :D

VtaGeezer

Quote from: EvB on July 30, 2013, 02:11:32 PM
I don't have XM radio and don't plan to get it anytime soon, but i sure am interested to see what happens to c2c now. If Art is even 1/2 his old self, this is going to make the quality contrast painfully visible even to the blind.
I think the contrast will be invisible to 90% of Noory's audience who are completely oblivious to Sirius, many to Art Bell in his pre-PRN prime, and quite a few who love Smarmy George and thought Bell was too edgy.

Sardondi

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on July 30, 2013, 02:56:00 PM...You think Snorge would at least have the class and decency to be big enough to say thanks to Art for practically making his career for him, but also wish him luck in his new radio endeavors. I don't know if it's by his choosing or his PR people's choosing not to, but obviously it's beneath him. With The Great Bell finally returning, I officially have no reason to ever listen to a single word breathed out of his hot air filled mouth again!...
Meh, as little as I think of Ol' Dave, I don't hold it against him for not mentioning Art. Even had he wanted to, I assume the corporate policy is, "He's competition: he's embargoed." First, while he told no tales in public, Art made it clear he resented the PremRad policies and the management personalities. Those guys are big business, and they don't have a live-and-let-live philosophy; they play for blood, and they don't give an inch.

Second, regardless of the time slot, Art could hardly be more of a competitor to C2C. He's clearly an alternative, and a very attractive one, to C2C, although I'm guessing PremRad is breathing a sigh of relief that Art went with Sirius XM and not terrestrial radio, because if Art had wanted to go head-to-head and do an overnight show with Cumulus, my feeling is he would have virtually destroyed C2C within a year. Still, Art can bleed off a tremendous part of the C2C audience as it is, and folks aren't going to spend 7 hours a night listening to both shows (although C2C would probably have the upper hand Fri-Sun). They will choose, and a good chunk will choose Art...although not nearly as many as would have if he were on free radio.

So I don't really hold it against George that he didn't call out to the guy who will literally take money out of his pocket. The Yankees don't congratulate the Red Sox on picking up that great lefty reliever; and radio hosts don't send out wishes for success to other hosts in their market.

awguy

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 30, 2013, 11:48:14 AM
Anyone try those code 24.99 for six months
http://m.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/4890850/?c=4890850

Another possible tip. I was a best buy this morning looking at Satellite radios. The basic receiver was 39.99. The next model up was 49.99 But... that one came with 3 months free programming. I haven't bought anything yet, still looking at all the options and price plans.

FortRock

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE SCORPION ARMY:
THE HOUSE OF CAPTAIN NOORY IS TOTALLY SURROUNDED. WE HAVE TOTAL VICTORY IN SIGHT! CAPTAIN NOORY NEEDS TO COME OUT AND SURRENDER NOW! STINGERS HAVE PLENTY OF VENOM FOR THE TOTALLY ERADICATION OF ALL OF NOORYISM! GODDESS SPEED FROM THE DESERT OF THE SEA!

Usagi

I think both MV and Fort Rock should both be guests on the new show.

NOT at the same time... and for totally different reasons...

popple

Quote from: Diabhal on July 30, 2013, 07:12:29 AM
Times like these I wish demonoid was around. Is Sirius just an American service?

Demonoid really had EVERYTHING. And users uploaded new shows within an hour or so of them ending.

Will we have a new thread or sub-forum dedicated to ABDM when it comes out, or will be continue to talk about the new show in this thread?

onan

Quote from: Usagi on July 30, 2013, 03:34:12 PM
I think both MV and Fort Rock should both be guests on the new show.

NOT at the same time... and for totally different reasons...

Now I am going to interrobang.

kf5iwe

Quote from: awguy on July 30, 2013, 03:26:32 PM
Another possible tip. I was a best buy this morning looking at Satellite radios. The basic receiver was 39.99. The next model up was 49.99 But... that one came with 3 months free programming. I haven't bought anything yet, still looking at all the options and price plans.
I guess I will have to make a trip to Best Buy on saturday morning before I do any thing rash. Did they have home units or just for cars?

dan7800

If you want to go the internet only route, get the $25 for 6 months option and then pay the extra $2/month for internet streaming (They will offer you a deal when you sign up)

dan7800

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 03:42:49 PM
I guess I will have to make a trip to Best Buy on saturday morning before I do any thing rash. Did they have home units or just for cars?

My advice is to get the units you can plug into a car friendly unit and then carry to a home boombox.

kf5iwe

I am going to get the premium package so I can get the college and nfl games

Usagi

Quote from: onan on July 30, 2013, 03:38:27 PM
Now I am going to interrobang.

As you should.  Perhaps I'll purchase some cheap, tacky, interrobling for the occasion.

coaster

Not sure if it's been posted, but Art said this on facebook-
"I chose Sirius XM for I think some very good reasons, they cover every inch of North America, well into Central America, Puerto Rico and so forth. They will let me do exactly what I want. Very few if any commercials, Basically Freedom, all the things I told you I would need to cut a deal."

Murder101

To celebrate Art's return I'm gonna listen to Mel's Hole tonight while cleaning house.

FortRock

URGENT ART BELL LISTENING TIP FROM THE PROPAGANDA MINISTRY OF THE SCORPION ARMY:
"TO THE COASTGAB SQUADRON OF THE SCORPION ARMY, DID YOU KNOW THAT SIRIUS RADIO IS AVAILIBLE AS A SUBSCRIPTION INTERNET RADIO SERVICE? GO HOME FROM THE ELECTRONICS STORE, AND FIRE UP THE PARTY BBQ! JUST LISTEN TO ART BELL ON YOUR COMPUTER! ALL YOU NEED IS FLASH PLAYER VERSION 11.1 OR GREATER, AVAILIBLE FREE FROM SIRIUS'S WEBSITE!!"

http://www.siriusxm.com/internetradio

SR-71

Quote from: FortRock on July 30, 2013, 03:49:30 PM
URGENT ART BELL LISTENING TIP FROM THE PROPAGANDA MINISTRY OF THE SCORPION ARMY:
"TO THE COASTGAB SQUADRON OF THE SCORPION ARMY, DID YOU KNOW THAT SIRIUS RADIO IS AVAILIBLE AS A SUBSCRIPTION INTERNET RADIO SERVICE? GO HOME FROM THE ELECTRONICS STORE, AND FIRE UP THE PARTY BBQ! JUST LISTEN TO ART BELL ON YOUR COMPUTER! ALL YOU NEED IS FLASH PLAYER VERSION 11.1 OR GREATER, AVAILIBLE FREE FROM SIRIUS'S WEBSITE!!"

Hey fort rock when you type can you NOT type in all caps.  Fort Rock I see the klingons did not get you yet.

SR-71

Quote from: FortRock on July 30, 2013, 03:49:30 PM

Hey fort rock when you type can you NOT type in all caps.  Fort Rock I see the klingons did not get you yet.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: coaster on July 30, 2013, 03:48:21 PM
"I chose Sirius XM for I think some very good reasons, they cover every inch of North America, well into Central America, Puerto Rico and so forth. They will let me do exactly what I want. Very few if any commercials, Basically Freedom, all the things I told you I would need to cut a deal."
Dunno about his statement on "very few...commercials". I listen to Sirius talk channels while driving and the commercials breaks are long, not infrequent, and often obnoxious. I hope he had better advice this time than when he naively signed his show away to Clear Channel for a pittance.  Some would call this  pimping the fan base.

heater

can he? YES

will he? NO!

MINOR SCORPION ARMY UPDATE.  WE HAD SUCH A LOW TURN OUT AT LAST NIGHTS MEETUP THAT WE WILL BE DOING ANOTHER TONIGHT.  WE ARE PLANNING TO ACT OUT THE NEW PLAY WRITTEN BY NONE OTHER THAN FT. ROCK TITLED "MY FLOWER, YOUR BLOOM"  IT IS A SPECIAL STORY ABOUT HOW AN ONLINE COMMUNITY GREW TO SEE THE BEAUTY...WELL YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO WATCH TO FIND OUT THE REST!

Morgus

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 03:46:12 PM
I am going to get the premium package so I can get the college and nfl games
the best deal for that appears to be they have a $199/year (equiv to $16.50/month) for an everything all-channels package including internet.

onan

I just found out my car package also includes internet and mobile... imma derp.

Morgus

Quote from: coaster on July 30, 2013, 03:48:21 PM

What about Europe, South America and Asia?
Art used to get calls from all over the world and some great guests like Stan Deyo started out as a caller in Perth, Australia.

Morgus

Quote from: SR-71 on July 30, 2013, 03:56:10 PM
Hey fort rock when you type can you NOT type in all caps.
obviously fort rock's old keyboard has a stuck caps-lock key that broke off?  8)

Ravenna

Quote from: onan on July 30, 2013, 01:10:29 PM
I am not one to talk about money all that often. But I spend $60 a month on 20oz mtn dews... looks like Pepsi is gonna take a hit.

I've found the store brand sodas really aren't that bad.  Safeway makes a very good store brand soda:  you can hardly tell it from the name brands and it's much cheaper.  And, Onan, I'm going to email you an article about Mountain Dew (reportedly of all canned sodas, that one is particularly bad for you because of the ingredient in it used to make the soda look "cloudy" is a known carcinogen).  Do yourself a favor and switch to another of the lemon-lime sodas that's not as bad for you.  Sierra Mist, for example:  "natural" ingredients instead of chemicals that can cause cancer when drank often, esp. drank often daily.

This board is rolling so fast I don't know if it was broadcast yet, but Art Bell posted this on Facebook about an hour ago:

QuoteI chose Sirius XM for I think some very good reasons, they cover every inch of North America, well into Central America, Puerto Rico and so forth. They will let me do exactly what I want. Very few if any commercials, Basically Freedom, all the things I told you I would need to cut a deal.

onan

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 04:11:08 PM
I've found the store brand sodas really aren't that bad.  Safeway makes a very good store brand soda:  you can hardly tell it from the name brands and it's much cheaper.  And, Onan, I'm going to email you an article about Mountain Dew (reportedly of all canned sodas, that one is particularly bad for you because of the ingredient in it used to make the soda look "cloudy" is a known carcinogen).  Do yourself a favor and switch to another of the lemon-lime sodas that's not as bad for you.  Sierra Mist, for example:  "natural" ingredients instead of chemicals that can cause cancer when drank often, esp. drank often daily.

Thanks, I appreciate the concern.

Quote from: onan on July 30, 2013, 04:13:22 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the concern.
I drink about 6 diet mountain dews a day. You make choices and you live with them.

kf5iwe

I will have to clean off the old stero to put my sxm on top and plug it in. I used to plug my xm into it back in the day. Have to clean off the old computer desk as well. I like to read, it has a lot(lot) of books on it. Need to clear out a lot of stuff around here.

BELL IS BACK!!!!