• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

HorrorRetro

Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 30, 2013, 12:05:29 PM
But you'll still need an internet subscription for Sirius to use a computer or smartphone, and it's an extra on top of a basic one radio fee.  I stopped clicking thru to see what the cost is; they really try to suck you in.

Sure, I didn't mean to imply it was free if you used an app.  You still need to pay for the internet subscription.  However, I do believe you can purchase an online only subscription.  You don't need to pay for a radio subscription and also an online one, unless you want to. 

teger81

What is Art going to call his new show?  I hope he whips George's behind.

Ravenna

"  That family I was sponsoring in Liberia for the "cost of a cup of coffee a day"
         Change of plans, fuckers! Enjoy that boy soldiering thing, Art's back! "

Coffee came up my nose this time with this comment (it was lemonade last time).  Ouch.  At least my nostrils are getting nice and cleaned out these days.

(This place can be so funny sometimes!  Love it!).   ;D

lava filling

Quote from: teger81 on July 30, 2013, 12:27:38 PM

Art Bell's Dark Matter.   I gotta admit I prefer what that fake promo pic had: Art Bell's Midnight Ride.   8)

morphiaflow

I'm just remembering now how much controversy there was in these parts when Art started up his Facebook page, and a few of us who did the homework and digging verified that it was legit, though some remained skeptical right up until he changed his homepage. Seems kinda quaint now. :)

Ravenna

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 30, 2013, 11:48:14 AM
Anyone try those code 24.99 for six months
http://m.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/4890850/?c=4890850

Wow, six months for $24.99 for SiriusXM?!  That's a great deal.  Hope that works.

Sleepwalker

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 11:54:58 AM
My priorities are right. With what I have leftover I can buy popp tarts. Lots and lots of pop tarts.

I would suggest snacking on pizza rolls while listening to Art.  Just be sure to let them cool a bit after removing them from the microwave.

SultanDrops

YouTube is this magical place where Dark Matter will mysteriously appear, for free, usually within a day. ;)

VtaGeezer

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2013, 12:11:38 PM
i posted this in another thread.  for those of you frothing over the idea of paying for sirius:

my dad already has an account, so i asked him to add an online subscription for my use, which i will pay him for.  came out to $63 for three years, or approximately $1.85 per month.  that's nothing.  i don't know why so many people are freaking out.  there are a number of ways to make this happen without paying $15 per month. 

also, frankly, i'd rather not have to use a conventional radio to hear art's show, anyway.  i'm glad it's on satellite.  i won't have to hear horrible local commercials, audio quality will be better, there's a dedicated app for listening through my phone on the go, there's other content on siriusXM i'd like to hear, art bell will have complete creative freedom, and there will be no signal issues.
Quality sucks and you will hear commercials.  And you'd better watch your subscription roll-over dates or the rates will skyrocket.

Ravenna

Quote from: S. R. Hadden on July 30, 2013, 12:21:18 PM
And the Internet version of Sirius-XM Channel 104 (Indie) is in Stereo.  Art will never have sounded better and the bumper music.... Yesss!!  ;D

Oh, that's great to hear.  I'm picky about sound quality so hearing Art in stereo will be a treat.

Quote from: For Whom the Bell Tolls on July 30, 2013, 06:28:59 AM
It's really not bad. I've got a portable xm which I play on my stereo at home and have a car port to plug it in while driving. Can also record hours upon hours of show. Pretty nice I think and like someone else said, plenty of deals where you not paying much at all. I'm on a tight budget and I don't think twice about. Tons of other nice programs as well.

You're saying it's a feature of Sirius XM Radio that you can record shows?

[attachimg=1]

ringthane

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 11:30:55 AM
I can barely afford it, but I'm going to budget myself tightly so that I can.  For example, buy my toiletries at the Dollar Store instead of CVS.  Seriously, I got some face moisturizer for a dollar at the Dollar Store that works as well as stuff I used to pay $12 for at CVS.

One thing I wonder, and I apologize if this has already been addressed.  To hear Art on Sirius, will I have to buy one of their radios or can you get a subscription to only listen to him via the internet?  Coz I'd much prefer the latter.  Don't like the idea of having to shell out $50 for one of their radios, on top of the monthly expense I'm going to be incurring.

Ravenna, we're in the same boat... I'm not broke, but I'll have to shuffle some things around to make it work so I'm not financially crimped. I'm wanting to go internet-only as well. Either my Macbook or phone are pretty much glued to me 24/7.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: teger81 on July 30, 2013, 12:27:38 PM

He's calling it Dark Matter

Ravenna

Quote from: SultanDrops on July 30, 2013, 12:34:41 PM
YouTube is this magical place where Dark Matter will mysteriously appear, for free, usually within a day. ;)

I really wonder if that will happen.  Won't SiriusXM be shutting down those YouTube links to audio of the shows nearly as soon as they appear?

Although, I do note the almost all of the recent c2c shows appear on YouTube, with the music stripped out of them to avoid copyright infringement issues.  I haven't noticed them being pulled down by Clear Channel, but Sirius may feel differently about the matter.

kf5iwe

I am goning to get the Edge radio with the boombox. They are available as a package for $199.00. Can get a year of premium programing for another $199.00. I used to have xm years ago. So I already know what it is like. The package comes with a car kit. So my car will be covered as well. You can record 30 minutes with the edge radio.

Ravenna

Quote from: ringthane on July 30, 2013, 12:39:26 PM
Ravenna, we're in the same boat... I'm not broke, but I'll have to shuffle some things around to make it work so I'm not financially crimped. I'm wanting to go internet-only as well. Either my Macbook or phone are pretty much glued to me 24/7.

People can usually budget tighter to scrounge up $12.50 or so a month.  I'm going to start drinking Safeway brand diet coke instead of the "real thing," and just with buying my moisturizer at the Dollar Store instead of at CVS I save $11, but that's just a one time $11 not a monthly $11 (as the moisturizer lasts me at least 6 months).

Did you know, you can buy Snyders brand pretzels,... my faves,... at the Dollar Store?  I'd pay nearly $4.00 for the exact same thing at Safeway.  So, right there, I save $3, and that's a twice monthly $3 so up that savings to $6.  There are ways to budget, people.  You just have to get creative and do a bit of research.

kf5iwe

I have to work the 16 and 17 ,so I will be taking vacation days. I will be here for the pre and post show parties  ;D ::)

kf5iwe

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 12:54:05 PM
People can usually budget tighter to scrounge up $12.50 or so a month.  I'm going to start drinking Safeway brand diet coke instead of the "real thing," and just with buying my moisturizer at the Dollar Store instead of at CVS I save $11, but that's just a one time $11 not a monthly $11 (as the moisturizer lasts me at least 6 months).

Did you know, you can buy Snyders brand pretzels,... my faves,... at the Dollar Store?  I'd pay nearly $4.00 for the exact same thing at Safeway.  So, right there, I save $3, and that's a twice monthly $3 so up that savings to $6.  There are ways to budget, people.  You just have to get creative and do a bit of research.
I can go to Baton Rouge to Plank road and sell my ass, but it will take a lot of selling for $20.00 a month

Foodlion

Most likely the hook and sinker that caught Art was the uncensored aspect of broadcasting. He doesn't need a 15 person team and a makeup artist to run his show. Just a Microphone, a cigarette, and of course, his loyal listeners beating their drums.

Who wants to place a wager that George mentions nothing of this in tonites show until someone sneaks their way onto the screened lines?

VtaGeezer

Just tweeted by George Knapp:

"The master, Art Bell, returning to radio:  http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_23757348/art-bell-returning-radio-sirius-show-about-paranormal …"

Good move George...I retract my earlier post inferring PNR intimidation.

kf5iwe

I wonder if Art is going to restart his after show ham radio net? If anyone gets through on the phone that would be a good question to ask. There is a call in number posted for the channel on the sirius website. I will get it and post it here, and put it in my phone ;)

elbee

Ok guys,  foe all us non us listeners,I'm happy to pay the monthly costs. Not a problem. However, obviously I can't stay up till 4am to listen to the show. I'm in the UK. Is there a podcast option? Is that included in the Internet only package? Please help :(

As usual
knapp is the man

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 11:27:42 AM

So are there as many commercials on Sirius as there are on AM radio?  I'm disappointed about that, if so.

Not even close. They do promotions of other Sirius shows, and there are brief commercial promotions, but nothing like C2C.

Some posts have been speculating that Art's going to lose listeners, but I respectfully disagree. Yes, he may lose some of his listeners from C2C days, but SiriusXM has a built in audience that includes Art's old devoted trucker audience as well as people like myself who listen to a wide variety of channels. There are no other shows on SiriusXM like Art's which gives him a nice, tidy niche, and he has the Indie channel which gives him a diverse audience.

That article circulating said SiriusXM is building a setup for Art to broadcast from home, which means they think he will bring and attract an audience worth investing in him. Far from being a sedate show, Art will have the freedom to speak his mind. I've been listening to the channels for several years, and believe me, hosts and guests can and do say exactly what they want.

Usagi

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 12:54:41 PM
I have to work the 16 and 17 ,so I will be taking vacation days. I will be here for the pre and post show parties  ;D ::)

My problem is that 7-10 pm Pacific is more or less prime "family time" for me, so I'm doubting my ability to listen for more than an hour or so live on any given day, which pretty well sucks.  But, I'll be damned if I'm not listening to all of the first show.  I don't care if I need to ship la familia off somewhere for that week.  Or shove some cash in their hands to go see a superhero movie or something.  Priorities.

Usagi

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 30, 2013, 01:02:51 PM
As usual
knapp is the man

Awesome.  Do I ever hope he jumps ship and joins for weekends.

BattyBrooke

I think it is very big of Art to choose a time slot that doesn't directly compete with Coast to Coast, though I am sure George is still quaking just a bit since the replays start right after the show ends at 10pm Pacific Standard time all the way until 3am. Does anyone know if George mentioned anything about Art's return lastnight?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 12:14:19 PM
Thought this was interesting:  how to record Sirius on your computer.

http://www.abyssmedia.com/isound7/record-sirius-radio.shtml
For recording whatever you're streaming, there's always Audacity, the free software that records whatever's going to your speakers...and more.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Usagi on July 30, 2013, 01:04:41 PM
My problem is that 7-10 pm Pacific is more or less prime "family time" for me, so I'm doubting my ability to listen for more than an hour or so live on any given day, which pretty well sucks.  But, I'll be damned if I'm not listening to all of the first show.  I don't care if I need to ship la familia off somewhere for that week.  Or shove some cash in their hands to go see a superhero movie or something.  Priorities.

Never fear! The replay start right after the show ends at 10pm and continues on through 3am!