• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

kf5iwe

To put it in my car I will have to buy a new radio for my car. I dont have a aux jack on my current radio and my cd player is broke. No cassette player. So now I am up over $300.00 for 2 nights a week. And still have not signed up for service yet.

rca

Drudge Report just linked the story on his website!

kf5iwe

The Blaze has it on they're site too

Quote from: rca on July 30, 2013, 08:51:16 AM
Drudge Report just linked the story on his website!
[/quote
He was surprisingly late to the game

lava filling

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 30, 2013, 12:45:37 AM

It's just not the same. There wont be the same mystique and unpredictably. There was just something magical about finding the show on the radio dial, while traveling, camping or whatever. You knew millions of others were doing the same, which  is condusive to crazy, entertaining calls.

And now we're supposed to pay a 20 spot for the watered-down, sedate, predictable version? I'll pass

Watered-down? Sedate?
First, the show hasn't even been broadcasted yet.  So we can only speculate... but I think you'll be proven wrong.  We know Art felt screwed by corporate terrestrial radio, so it makes sense that he would try satellite.  He'll have complete control over his program.  Uncensored and unrestricted.   

lava filling

Quote from: Morgus on July 30, 2013, 01:02:27 AM
Some have posted that Sirius/XM is commercial free and others say Sirius shows have more commercials than AM radio programs.
What will be the case for Art's new 3 hour show?
I assume he will need some break time during the show that he used before on the old shows.

Music channels are completely commercial-free.  Talk and news stations have short spots, maybe 1 or 2 minutes' worth of a break.  I think it makes for a more sustainable business model, as they're not completely relying on subscribers.

lava filling

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 30, 2013, 06:07:12 AM
So the questions I need to know:
1) Can I listen to Art Bell if I sign up for Sirius through my iPhone?
2) Can my dad listen to Art Bell if he gets a Sirius radio?
3) Can I set up my father's radio to sign on with my credentials?
4) Does any of this mean I can listen to Sirius in my car, as well ( actually had this in my car when I got it but didn't renew after 6 months free)

1) you'll need to ask a customer rep-- i'm assuming it depends on the package you buy (or renew)
2) yes
3) yes, i have done this before.
4) i believe you will have to buy this separately, unless you get a very expensive package.

also, as some have said, haggle when you go to renew.  you might be pleasantly surprised at the price they offer you.

and for those who think the 15 a month is a little too steep, SXM has this "on demand" option you can now purchase.  i don't know too much about it, but you might be able to get that for a lot cheaper and be able to pick your own shows (i.e., art bell's) and skip the rest.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: lava filling on July 30, 2013, 09:04:55 AM
Music channels are completely commercial-free.  Talk and news stations have short spots, maybe 1 or 2 minutes' worth of a break.  I think it makes for a more sustainable business model, as they're not completely relying on subscribers.
The talk channels I listen to while driving have breaks much longer than 1-2 minutes. Or maybe it's because the ads are so obnoxious that it just seems to be 10 minutes.  Plus Sirius doesn't count its own frequent promos as commercials.

b_dubb

Quote from: lava filling on July 30, 2013, 09:04:55 AM
Didn't satellite radio nearly tank though? As in ... they paid waaaaay too much for Howard Stern?

bateman

Quote from: lava filling on July 30, 2013, 09:15:29 AM
also, as some have said, haggle when you go to renew.  you might be pleasantly surprised at the price they offer you.

and for those who think the 15 a month is a little too steep, SXM has this "on demand" option you can now purchase.  i don't know too much about it, but you might be able to get that for a lot cheaper and be able to pick your own shows (i.e., art bell's) and skip the rest.

Yep, they have a la carte packages you can put together for $7.99 a month & I'm sure even that could be talked down..

http://www.siriusxm.com/subscriptions/alacartechoices

SheilaVG

Quote from: awguy on July 29, 2013, 10:07:52 PM
It changed... Art on Sirus/XM radio. September 16th

Great. If we don't have Sirius and want to listen, can we access it through the web? It never occurred to me he would come back but in such a way that only subscribers could listen to him. That may be a loosing bet.

S. R. Hadden

MV,

I found CoastGab years ago and it’s been a veritable gold mine for this Art Bell Fan.

•   I listened to your original UFOShip stream of Art’s shows.
•   Followed links to the torrents of old C2C shows and Dreamland.

Discovered and tapped into…

•   â€œThe Matrix” collection from Creatures of the Night.
•   Hal 9000’s files.
•   The incredible show archive and the bumper music shared by Gandalf.
•   Funklbaldy’s wonderful site.
•   And more!

The build up to Art’s announcement last night was fantastic.  Of course I’m looking forward to Art’s return on Sirius-XM on September 16th.

So thank you very much for creating and managing this site!

Hadden Industries has made a small donation to BellGab.com in appreciation of your good efforts.

Regards,

S.R. Hadden

“Once upon a time, I was a hell of an engineer”

A link to a great site about Art’s favorite movie, “Contact”…
http://www.turning-pages.com/contact/

And some audio clips:
http://www.megawavs.com/movie-sounds.aspx?title=Contact&qty=7

lava filling

Quote from: b_dubb on July 30, 2013, 09:17:45 AM
Didn't satellite radio nearly tank though? As in ... they paid waaaaay too much for Howard Stern?

yeah, i suppose that's why they merged.  i'm not a howard fan  :P

VtaGeezer

Quote from: b_dubb on July 30, 2013, 09:17:45 AM
Correct...they almost went bankrupt a few years ago and were dying before Stearn.  But his sat listener base never got anywhere near what it was on AM.  I think they dodged the bullet by getting car makers to include "free" sat radio in virtually all cars, then they hooked the buyers to subscribe after the 90 day trial. 

El Kragen

Quote from: DigitalGuy on July 30, 2013, 12:17:53 AM
Make sure you don't pay full price. Reup customers are reporting they're getting service for as low as $5/month when they pay for a year (which includes one radio sub & Internet listening).

It depends on what rep you get. They seem to have several offers which unfortunately vary depending on the rep you get.

Cool thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll just keep calling back until I get the deal I want lol

My car came with Sirius/XM built in. Unfortunately I was never able to get the internet radio thing to work even though it was supposed to be included. I'm hoping the app will perform better.

ponyboysunset

Glad Art is back, too broke to enjoy. I listen to free stuff. :(

QAPete

Great news, and with the replays / 5 hour buffer on SiriusXM internet radio, it should be really easy to fit the show in my day.  Welcome back, Art!

Quote from: lava filling on July 30, 2013, 08:57:27 AM
Watered-down? Sedate?
First, the show hasn't even been broadcasted yet.  So we can only speculate... but I think you'll be proven wrong.  We know Art felt screwed by corporate terrestrial radio, so it makes sense that he would try satellite.  He'll have complete control over his program.  Uncensored and unrestricted.

Take a listen to some of Art`s classic shows from the 90`s. Then listen to a few of his shows in `09 and `10. HUGE difference. He was  far more animated, curious, and energetic back then. I actually thought he was on valium before some of his latter shows. Hard to blame that on the "corporate suits". Not only that, the subject matter was perfect for the times (Area 51, X-Files, "that internet thing" etc.). Today, thanks to Google, all things are known instantaneously. How much global warming and Michio Kaku can we take?

The fact is, Art on his worst day is still far better than the current C2C abomination. However, that doesn`t mean I`m willing to pay $15 + tax, fees and other charges, to listen to him. Especially when the show is on at 10pm. Art, himself, always maintained his show was far more suited to the middle of the night. I agree.

Look, I wish him well, and I hope everybody enjoys the program. I still would have enjoyed listening to him a couple of nights a week on terrestrial radio. As my granny used to say, "What the fuck; that`s life, eh, kid?"

VtaGeezer

The iron fist of PRN is apparent...not even a mild congratulatory tweet from Knapp or Punnett.

lava filling

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 30, 2013, 09:45:37 AM
Take a listen to some of Art`s classic shows from the 90`s. Then listen to a few of his shows in `09 and `10. HUGE difference. He was  far more animated, curious, and energetic back then. I actually thought he was on valium before some of his latter shows. Hard to blame that on the "corporate suits". Not only that, the subject matter was perfect for the times (Area 51, X-Files, "that internet thing" etc.). Today, thanks to Google, all things are known instantaneously. How much global warming and Michio Kaku can we take?

The fact is, Art on his worst day is still far better than the current C2C abomination. However, that doesn`t mean I`m willing to pay $15 + tax, fees and other charges, to listen to him. Especially when the show is on at 10pm. Art, himself, always maintained his show was far more suited to the middle of the night. I agree.

Look, I wish him well, and I hope everybody enjoys the program. I still would have enjoyed listening to him a couple of nights a week on terrestrial radio. As my granny used to say, "What the fuck; that`s life, eh, kid?"

Well I agree with you about global warming and Michio Kaku, and about the differences between time periods. lol.  I hope that his new show brings back that excitement for him.  I also hope that the new show isn't just a rehash of the topics that the current Coast covers (to death).  I don't know, I'm just super excited that I get to hear Art live.  Maybe we should have a BellGab listening party the night of the premiere, I'm sure some techy people here can make that happen for even non-subscribers.  ;)

qaddisin

I'm glad Art is doing something, and I hope he can recapture that 90's magic he had. I don't hold it against him that he's going to Sirius. It's a business decision as much as it is a personal one for him, and I'm sure the amount of money he gets out of the deal softens any feelings about not being able to cater to all of his fans. He'll get to do whatever he wants, and make a boatload of money doing it. It's the dream that everyone aspires to.

I'm saddened that I won't have the money to listen to him. I have enough guilt about listening to NPR and not being able to donate to them, and they need the money. I'm not bitter about it like some, I just wish things could have been different.

No matter what, I wish Art the best, and am glad he'll be able to entertain again. 

poprocksncoke

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 08:50:24 AM
To put it in my car I will have to buy a new radio for my car. I dont have a aux jack on my current radio and my cd player is broke. No cassette player. So now I am up over $300.00 for 2 nights a week. And still have not signed up for service yet.

Get an Fm modulator then listen to it through an FM station that isn't being used in your area. 

I pretty much listen to nothing but my XM radio and CD's anyway so I cant wait till Sept 16!

Fort Rock was right and has been vindicated. Who would have thunk it??? ;D :o :o :o 8) :-X :D ;)

lava filling

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 08:50:24 AM

hey, take a quick gander at portable radios on ebay.  some are selling for 20-40 dollars or cheaper. 

HorrorRetro

Quote from: UFO Fill on July 30, 2013, 04:10:48 AM
I see that Amazon has a free Sirius app for the Kindle Fire.

Nice.  I listen to iHeartRadio and TuneIn on my Kindle Fire to catch Clyde Lewis and other shows.  It sounds like this is going to work nicely.  I used to have a portable XM radio in the house plus an antenna to get sat radio.  I love having the option of using an app instead.

S. R. Hadden

This was added to the SiriusXM website this morning...

http://www.siriusxm.com/indie

Coming Soon: Art Bell’s Dark Matter
Legendary late-night radio host Art Bell is making his return to radio exclusively on SiriusXM! Art Bell’s Dark Matter will debut in fall 2013 on Indie, Ch. 104, nightly from 10 pm â€" 1 am ET. Bell will host the show from his home studio in Pahrump, Nevadaâ€"near the storied Area 51â€"opening the phones lines and inviting listeners and expert guests to join his uncensored, unscripted nightly conversation about a wide variety of topics including the paranormal, near-death experiences, quantum physics, extraterrestrial life and the unusual.

A 2008 inductee to the National Radio Hall of Fame, Bell was one of the top five most listened-to talk hosts in America when he was syndicated weeknights from 1993-2003. With as many as fifteen million listeners on 500 radio stations, he shared the top rankings with Howard Stern, Dr. Laura and Rush Limbaugh . Howard Stern and Dr. Laura are also exclusively heard on SiriusXM.

[attachimg=1]

Yorkshire pud

So, it's his fault? http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Chemtrails

Chemtrail theories were first brought to prominence in the 1990s by paranormal pusher and talk radio host Art Bell. Aided by the internet, it is now a world wide phenomenon and chemtrail watchers all over the globe exchange photographs and videos of their favorite contrails on forums and youtube

::)

Phaedra

My family is thrilled with the news. . .my kids are new generation Art Bell fans.  Guess I'll call and reinstate our Sirius package.  Art has entertained me for free for over 15 years, so I'm happy to pay a little to support his new endeavor.  Since I have just about all of his shows memorized, I can't wait for new content!  lol I'm excited for Art and for his fans.   

Grov505th

Ok Stopped lurking for this.
  I just had the wife call and add the internet option to our Sirius. We had already renewed for the year.
She just called and let me know that they do have a "special" going on and we got a refund....it was only 2 dollars, but hey thats better then nothing. ;D

kf5iwe

Yeah I am going to get sirius too. I can afford it, I just dont like paying for only 2 days a week. I am going to have to clear a place in the shack to put the new boom box. So I will be busy for the rest of the day
Still miffed I cant listen at work.