• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Ravenna

And I hate to go on and on about how to budget, but people don't realize the deals available at the Dollar Store and the .99 Cents Store.  People think it's all junk from China.  Not so.  The .99 Cents Store here sells fresh produce (I got a HUGE head of very fresh cauliflower, grown in the San Fernando Valley, for .99 cents there the other day) and frozen foods (I love the Tony's frozen pizzas), and they have these delicious tortillas, made in TEXAS, that are the exact same tortillas sold at Safeway for three times the price.  So just by buying some of those things at the .99 Cents Store instead of at Safeway or Foodmax, I will easily save at least $12 a month.

Of course, I know this coz I've already been doing it, but I will do it even more stringently now.

QAPete

Quote from: El Bee on July 30, 2013, 01:02:09 PM
Ok guys,  foe all us non us listeners,I'm happy to pay the monthly costs. Not a problem. However, obviously I can't stay up till 4am to listen to the show. I'm in the UK. Is there a podcast option? Is that included in the Internet only package? Please help :(

If you have SiriusXM internet radio, there is a built-in five-hour "cache window" in which you can listen to any show that started up to five hours ago.  Also, there are going to be replays until 6 AM Eastern, which means you can listen until 11 AM Eastern.  Finally, there's always best of the week on Fridays, and likely some replays on the weekend.

You should have no problem at all catching Art and fitting him into your schedule.

lava filling

Quote from: El Bee on July 30, 2013, 01:02:09 PM
Ok guys,  foe all us non us listeners,I'm happy to pay the monthly costs. Not a problem. However, obviously I can't stay up till 4am to listen to the show. I'm in the UK. Is there a podcast option? Is that included in the Internet only package? Please help :(

I think someone upthread mentioned that Itunes will offer podcasts? I'm not sure about that, but sirius might put recorded shows available on demand, which you could access if you have the internet subscription.

onan

I am not one to talk about money all that often. But I spend $60 a month on 20oz mtn dews... looks like Pepsi is gonna take a hit.

BattyBrooke

Has anyone here ever purchased an actual XM radio? If so, are you happy with it? Is the sound quality decent?

S. R. Hadden

The graphic on the front page of SiriusXM promoting Art's new show has the green "On Demand" button on it.  This means shows will be available after the broadcast window.  On Demand programs are typically accessible up to a week after their original air date.   

Additionally if you have an app for a mobile device (iPad, iPhone, etc.) you can download the episodes and listen to them when you are off-line.  So you could download while connected to Wi-Fi at home and take your phone with you in the car to listen and not use up precious data plan minutes.

These On Demand shows will automatically purge from the device after they go past the "expiration date", which again is around a week.

This feature is very flexible and is SiriusXM's version of podcasting.

Only drawback is archiving the shows since they are "locked" within the application.   But there are ways to work around that.  :)

https://www.siriusxm.com/

popple

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 01:07:33 PM
And I hate to go on and on about how to budget, but people don't realize the deals available at the Dollar Store and the .99 Cents Store.

lol My mom bought a pair of $3 jeans at the dollar store the other day. My mind was blown.

onan

Quote from: BattyBrooke on July 30, 2013, 01:11:10 PM
Has anyone here ever purchased an actual XM radio? If so, are you happy with it? Is the sound quality decent?

I have never considered a portable radio for quality sound. But always more than passable. And Art is not going to need a high dollar piece of equipment to satisfy anyone's ears imo.

I can's see any other option than the mobile. I can connect my phone to a dock and poof its a stereo system. I can listen on my computer and have sound almost as good as any average stereo system... I can Bluetooth my tablet or phone to my car.

sorry don't mean to preach.

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 30, 2013, 01:02:51 PM
As usual
knapp is the man

[attachimg=1]

George Knapp is and always will be the quintessential investigative reporter and class act. I hope, at the very least,. he's a frequent guest on Art's show.

EarthAlien007

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 12:44:14 PM
I really wonder if that will happen.  Won't SiriusXM be shutting down those YouTube links to audio of the shows nearly as soon as they appear?

Although, I do note the almost all of the recent c2c shows appear on YouTube, with the music stripped out of them to avoid copyright infringement issues.  I haven't noticed them being pulled down by Clear Channel, but Sirius may feel differently about the matter.

I've never seen anything removed from The Pirate Bay  ;D

kf5iwe

The call in number for the Indie talk channel (104) is 866-994-6343.

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 30, 2013, 01:02:51 PM
As usual
knapp is the man

[attachimg=1]

You know things are bad when a prominent weekend host is promoting his direct competition.

morphiaflow

Quote from: onan on July 30, 2013, 01:10:29 PM
I am not one to talk about money all that often. But I spend $60 a month on 20oz mtn dews... looks like Pepsi is gonna take a hit.

But without them, how will you remain awake to listen to Art's new show?????

morphiaflow

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 30, 2013, 01:24:51 PM
You know things are bad when a prominent weekend host is promoting his direct competition.

Maybe Knapp is hoping to be fired, or released from his contract with Premier? And perhaps as a mere fill-in host (and one who already works in media apart from Coast) he won't be subject to the sort of Byzantine NC clause that Art was...leaving him free to jump from the sinking mothership to the spiffy new desert ride.

popple

Quote from: awguy on July 30, 2013, 05:49:05 AM
I find it interesting that Art's website is suggesting that we wait until just before launch date to sign up. I wonder if this means there will be official archives and streaming through his website for a much lower fee?

I think he wants people to get the most time out of their 30 day FREE subscription. If people sign up now they wont be able to listen for free come Sept 16th!

BattyBrooke

BTW, ArtBell.com hints it may be best to wait right up until the day before the show premiers to order your XM radio/service if you want to get a great deal. I'll definitely wait, just in case.

DesertFox

How are the reception on these Sirius radios?  If you are in a huge building with a portable is receptiion hard?  Do you need to be by a window to connect with a satellite?

dan7800

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 12:33:11 PM
Wow, six months for $24.99 for SiriusXM?!  That's a great deal.  Hope that works.

It does work. I've done it time after time for a few years now.

I love Sirius. I've had it for years and I am as cheap as anyone.

dan7800

Quote from: DesertFox on July 30, 2013, 01:32:45 PM
How are the reception on these Sirius radios?  If you are in a huge building with a portable is receptiion hard?  Do you need to be by a window to connect with a satellite?

Hard to tell. You need the radio near a window. If it doesnt work, listen via the internet.

Tinfoil Hat

I'm going to echo the comments of a few others:

I'm thrilled Art's back! The "ride" to the announcement was a blast!

However, there's no way I can listen live with my schedule and the high cost if Sirius is not in my budget. Hopefully there'll also be a more reasonable web presence somewhere that I can use to listen to/download his shows after they're broadcast uplinked.

Even if I end out catching none of it except for comments made here, I'm happy at the unexpected good news and wish Art the very best of luck.

Foodlion

I'm going to ditch my Phil Hendrie subscription since his new stuff sucks anyways.

Can I reactivate a used XM radio? My suv came with one and I never used it before.

DesertFox

Quote from: dan7800 on July 30, 2013, 01:34:51 PM
Hard to tell. You need the radio near a window. If it doesnt work, listen via the internet.

How about if you use an I phone or Kindle?  Do they have the same problem? 

BattyBrooke

Quote from: onan on July 30, 2013, 01:15:26 PM
I have never considered a portable radio for quality sound. But always more than passable. And Art is not going to need a high dollar piece of equipment to satisfy anyone's ears imo.

I can's see any other option than the mobile. I can connect my phone to a dock and poof its a stereo system. I can listen on my computer and have sound almost as good as any average stereo system... I can Bluetooth my tablet or phone to my car.

sorry don't mean to preach.

I appreciate the input! I have an iphone with great speakers on a docking station but I am one of those that fear the level of radiation being emitted from the cellphone and therefore try to limit it's use (I fail to limit it at all most days) so the thought of it going on all night by my delicate gray matter concerns me. I guess I could sleep with an astronaut's helmet. If I did chose to listen this way, I am wondering if it will be more costly since I saw somewhere on this thread that the internet subscription is additional (i.e., you get a standard radio subscription and then pay an additonal amount to listen on-line via tablet, phone etc..) I have tried to get details on XM/s website but can't seem to find a user friendly pricing info.

Ha ha! On the SiriusXM main page, they've got Art sandwiched in between Mad dog and Stern. Nice product placement, guys!

Morgus

It will be interesting to see if PremRat continues to air Art Bell: Somewhere in Time this coming Saturday and after September...

S. R. Hadden

Quote from: Foodlion on July 30, 2013, 01:39:11 PM
I'm going to ditch my Phil Hendrie subscription since his new stuff sucks anyways.

Can I reactivate a used XM radio? My suv came with one and I never used it before.

Yes, you can reactivate a used radio.  Just get the radio ID number (usually found by tuning to channel 1 or Zero).  Get on the SiriusXM website and follow the instructions or call their help number.

popple

I am finding as many articles as I can on Art's big return. I love reading the comments about people missing art and sharing their experience listening.

One comment was not like the others however.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/30/art-bell-to-make-radio-comeback-with-sirius-xm-show-about-the-paranormal/

...where has this person been? They clearly do not listen. He is rude, and he also hangs up on people all the time acting like it must be a loose wire. Then of course he says something like as if the government disconnected them. So mysterious!

Pablo Smash

Quote from: Morgus on July 30, 2013, 01:44:24 PM
It will be interesting to see if PremRat continues to air Art Bell: Somewhere in Time this coming Saturday and after September...
My guess is it will be replaced by a best of Snoory by this weekend. George is probably spending his 8 hour show prep time finding one of his Classics if one exists.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: DesertFox on July 30, 2013, 01:32:45 PM
I haven't used a non-vehicle sat radio but I know it needs an antenna. Don't know how sensitive they are to direction and structure interference.  My car sat radio loses signal under overpasses and big trees (but the buffer conceals it unless it's for more than a few seconds). I never listen to music on sat, but talk radio sounds really crappy and tinny.  Music from CD, FM, etc. in the same unit is great.