• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Ravenna

Keith Rowlands just posted the following on Art's FB page:

BTW, the official Facebook presence for the website will be https://www.facebook.com/ArtBellCom

Art Bell.com
Our Facebook presence for ArtBell.com

Ravenna

Another fan page for the new show on Facebook.  Not very exciting.  I've never liked that photo of Art, either.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-Bells-Dark-Matter/576602945712232

Morgus

Scanning thru the support q&a section on the Sirius/XM website I found this page:
https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3676

Has more details on different packages and prices plus yearly price vs monthly price.
The Sirius/XM internet only package price is $14.49 plus fees (somebody reported it comes out to a total of $15.38 with the fees I think)
but if you pay for a year at a time the total is $159.39 which is $13.28/month - so that appears to be the cheapest option with internet playback, the easiest since you could listen via any computer or internet device you already own (not have to buy a special radio with antenna)

the cheapest special package that has channel 104 i could find is $9.99/month but thats without internet option (that costs $3.50 more a month to add to a package without it) so unless you would only listen via a special Sirius radio, the internet only option is a better deal than that with the yearly pay option and it has way more channels too.

i suspect that with internet playback on a computer you could easily record the stream for archival  via readily available software like audacity or total recorder too.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bateman on July 30, 2013, 08:43:14 PM
I'm really curious to hear what his intro music will be..

me too.

popple

Quote from: Morgus on July 31, 2013, 02:14:08 AM
I suspect the latter - another fan site...

The url seemed a bit long to me when I typed it out. I didn't even expect anything to really come up lol I'll try some other random things and see if people have made sites.

Morgus

If Art still has a close relationship with the Cusco group like he did in the 90s, maybe they would deny PremRat from playing their music so Art would get an exclusive on all the great Cusco bumper music he used all the time in the mid 90s?

Morgus

Quote from: popple on July 31, 2013, 02:48:08 AM
The url seemed a bit long to me when I typed it out. I didn't even expect anything to really come up lol I'll try some other random things and see if people have made sites.
There have been a lot of fake Art Bell facebook sites for years, so I expect there will be lots more coming out now.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ItsOver on July 30, 2013, 09:43:57 PM

i cringe when someone tells me "happy birthday."  i don't know why.  i just do.  i can't imagine for one second allowing this abomination to be posted on my website if it were me.

jazmunda

Some more words of wisdom from Keith on Art's Facebook page:

Quote from: Keith Rowland on FacebookI don't think the show will be stereo, as talk radio doesn't need it. But I could be wrong, I've heard stereo material on some talk channels. The ISDN link from Art might only be MONO, but the network material that's played on the channel could still be stereo. I can only hope that maybe they will find a way to have stereo sound over the ISDN line. But it (ISDN) is limited in bandwidth, so we might rather want to favor a great quality mono audio over a poor quality stereo feed. I'm excited that listener will be able to here a wide-band audio signal, instead of limited AM audio. I used to record the signal off satellite, it was great, but realized that most listeners heard the limited sound of AM. Realizing AM has its own mystic, I look forward to High-Fidelity Art Bell.

Of course with the Internet Radio player, you will get the best sound possible.

I think I'll try to compare the sound quality of the satellite audio with the Internet Player audio and see which one is better. SiriusXM doesn't give us the details of the stream bandwidth bps. I'll report my finding on the website.

I hope you subscribe via the website link, as it pays the website a little commission. I can use all the potential website link income as I can.

Don't know about "Saving/Downloading" yet, but certainly "Past Programs On Demand" will be there. And the Internet player has all that functionality built in. If you came online and was late to the show, you can rewind to the beginning and start listening.

The SiriusXM app certainly has features that are better than the FREE Radio apps, as it has to be. Rewinding up to 5 hours early to catch up, playing previous on demand programs, along with their new MySXM which allows you to customize your music and comedy channels to favor your music preferences. So you actually hear a different selection of songs from that of the live feed.

popple

Quote from: Ravenna on July 31, 2013, 02:33:45 AM
Another fan page for the new show on Facebook.  Not very exciting.  I've never liked that photo of Art, either.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-Bells-Dark-Matter/576602945712232

Haha, didn't art once comment that he didn't like that pic either?

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on July 31, 2013, 02:53:45 AM
i cringe when someone tells me "happy birthday."  i don't know why.  i just do.  i can't imagine for one second allowing this abomination to be posted on my website if it were me.

Now we know what to get you for your birthday!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on July 30, 2013, 11:41:04 PM
My only complaint with SiriusXM is when listening in my car. I have an hour commute and at times the signal fades... and sometimes the radio goes silent for a few seconds. That is tolerable with songs I know. But when listening to a comedy bit and the punch line is lost... its not funny, even if its not funny.

i drove hundreds of thousands of miles in a semi truck using it, and yes there is the occasional dropout, but not streaming over my phone.

Spinner

Quote from: lonevoice on July 31, 2013, 02:13:24 AM
Meh.

I want Art Bell to install a mobile broadcast studio in his RV.  Then I want him to park it in my driveway and broadcast from there to make sure I get good reception.  I want him to change the name of the show to  'Art Bell's Gray Matter for Lonevoice'.  I want final approval of all guests and I want to choose the bumper music.  I want Art to do all the commercial voiceovers, but only 3 minutes per hour, and only for products I'm considering buying and interested in his opinion about.  I want every show to have the Lonevoice Only call-in line.  I want Keith to install a fast blast app on Art's computer that's for my personal use alone.  Speaking of Keith, I want him to make house calls to be certain all my internet devices have the latest software and firmware upgrades installed at all times.  I want Art to guarantee me that his ratings will smash, that C2C will die, and that his closing words every night will be "Dave Noorie Sucks."   I want Art to have a forum attached to his website, and when you click on the hyperlink it goes to BellGab.com, where all prospective new members require my permission to join.  If anyone harshes my buzz, I will ban them. 

Finally, if, and only if, all of my conditions are met, I will allow Art to pay for my lifetime subscription to SiriusXM because there's no way I'm going to pay to listen to radio.   

Shockwave

Unscreened and uncensored Art Bell.   Can't wait...    Wonder how many callers will go off on Noory and if Art will allow it.

Spinner

Quote from: Keith Rowland on Facebook
Quote. . . Calls will come into the network and fed back to Art, but he will be clicking the buttons to take UNSCREENED callers live!!!! Yeah!

Double Yeah!

MV/Liberace!

Meh.

I want Art Bell to install a mobile broadcast studio in his RV.  Then I want him to park it in my driveway and broadcast from there to make sure I get good reception.  I want him to change the name of the show to  'Art Bell's Gray Matter for Lonevoice'.  I want final approval of all guests and I want to choose the bumper music.  I want Art to do all the commercial voiceovers, but only 3 minutes per hour, and only for products I'm considering buying and interested in his opinion about.  I want every show to have the Lonevoice Only call-in line.  I want Keith to install a fast blast app on Art's computer that's for my personal use alone.  Speaking of Keith, I want him to make house calls to be certain all my internet devices have the latest software and firmware upgrades installed at all times.  I want Art to guarantee me that his ratings will smash, that C2C will die, and that his closing words every night will be "Dave Noorie Sucks."   I want Art to have a forum attached to his website, and when you click on the hyperlink it goes to BellGab.com, where all prospective new members require my permission to join.  If anyone harshes my buzz, I will ban them. 

Finally, if, and only if, all of my conditions are met, I will allow Art to pay for my lifetime subscription to SiriusXM because there's no way I'm going to pay to listen to radio.   

fuck.  you had me in tears.

Spinner

Haha, MV.
Looks like we were both reading that post at the same time.  :)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Spinner on July 31, 2013, 03:21:06 AM
Haha, MV.
Looks like we were both reading that post at the same time.  :)

jesus.  i don't know if any single post here has ever made me laugh that hard.

ringthane

Quote from: Morgus on July 31, 2013, 02:49:04 AM
If Art still has a close relationship with the Cusco group like he did in the 90s, maybe they would deny PremRat from playing their music so Art would get an exclusive on all the great Cusco bumper music he used all the time in the mid 90s?

I got a feeling... just a guess... that C2C is going to wash its hands of any Art-isms like Cusco, ELO, etc.

The tricky thing is the intro. Explicitly Bell and Coast. Art can open his show with it, and I hope he does. If Dave changes the intro, folks are going to wonder/ask why, possibly causing uncomfortable exchanges on air. If Dave keeps it, people will ask why.

My thought is there's going to be a semi re-branding here in the works for C2C that will probably launch before 9/16. A chance to put Dave's stamp on the show (read: expunge anything Art from the show). If it hadn't been apparent already, it will be with the rebooted C2C 2.0 and Dave no longer parading around in the king's wardrobe.

If they do drop the intro, they simply won't slap a new intro on with no explanation. There'll be some soft reboot happy horseshit marketing babble about the show format reflecting the audience's more connected, savvier blah blah ad nauseum being piloted by Captain Dave.

I'm going to guess 51% chance of not hearing Moroder's 'The Chase' on C2C after September 16.

Sardondi

Meh.

Wow. That was pretty deft.

Spinner

Quote from: MV on July 31, 2013, 03:21:58 AM
jesus.  i don't know if any single post here has ever made me laugh that hard.
Hmmm... maybe the "Dave Noorie" post, also by Lonevoice, BTW.  :)

ringthane

Meh.

Had you shoehorned Fort Rock into that I woulda paid for your Sirius subscription.

Spinner

Oh, man... I'm still laughing.
I better get some sleep.

What happend?!?! What'd I miss???

Ahh, gay.

I thought Art was a broadcaster. Oh well, I'm sure there will be a pirate stream.

I don't know if anyone has noted this because I haven't gone back and read everything, but the only linked multi-media news story on ArtBell.com that mentions anything about Coast to Coast AM talks about 'their own George Knapp.'  No other mention is made on any of the video or audio links about the current C2C and none whatsoever about George Noory.  In fact, the standard intro was 'Late night radio is about to get weird again,' as if Noory and his show didn't even exist.  I'm not including the printed press release with this.

I wonder if this could be a tip off that Knapp might be involved with the new program.

morphiaflow

Quote from: popple on July 30, 2013, 11:51:52 PM
I think Art is entitled to use The Chase if he wants.  Dave can suck his socks.

Klart Kent fan?

Juan

As for bumper music, the way that works is the songwriter licenses public performance through a performance rights organization (ASCAP, BMI, etc.)  Broadcasting stations buy a license from the rights organizations and can play anything they want as long as they pay the license fees.  I'm sure Sirius has an agreement, so Art would be able to play what he wants. 

morphiaflow

Here's a thought. We know that Noory does have some fans. Not many, and nowhere near as passionate or tech savvy as Art's, but they must exist. Kinda the same way that Ace of Base sold ten million records in the 90s but no one you know will admit to having owned one.

We're all thinking along the lines of how Dave will hem, haw and guffaw when an Art caller slips through. How do you think Art would handle it if a "Dave loyalist" called in to Dark Matter?

It's fun to speculate.

morphiaflow

Keith, if you're seeing this, you will probably want to look into making Art's Twitter account "verified", as they do for high profile persons.
And yes, when I'm ready for my subscription (going to wait till a few days before launch) I'll use your link!
Keep up the great work sir.