• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Juan

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 30, 2013, 06:07:12 AM
So the questions I need to know:
1) Can I listen to Art Bell if I sign up for Sirius through my iPhone?
2) Can my dad listen to Art Bell if he gets a Sirius radio?
3) Can I set up my father's radio to sign on with my credentials?
4) Does any of this mean I can listen to Sirius in my car, as well ( actually had this in my car when I got it but didn't renew after 6 months free)
I have been exploring the Sirius website.  It would appear that you can get an account that includes both a radio account and an internet (iPhone) account.  So, I would say that you can set up both yourself and your father. 
As far as the car - the radios are small and portable.  You can get both home and car kits to use the radio in both places.  Wouldn't the iPhone work in the car as is?  Just plug the output into your radio, provided you have a jack on the radio. 
As I say, I have not done this - I've just been reading the website.

kingotnw

Just so everyone knows. Since we have a good amount of time before the show starts, I would watch places like Best Buy, New Egg, etc for their flash sales. They often have Sirius receivers on sale for $20 for just a day, or even a few hours. The cost is only $15 a month for the service. Hopefully people can find ways to shave off a buck or two here and there over the month to afford it.

Derpspiracy

Here in the Derpspiracy household, we had discussed getting rid of cable a week or two ago. Between our Roku box and Netflix subscription, it just seemed like cable was a little much. That, and Comcast sucks. Really. Not quite as bad as Dave Noorie, but is still worse than "Alex Jones is having a goddamn aneurysm about something again" and "having sexual relations with a hornet nest".

With the money we'd be saving, we'll have more than enough for a subscription to Sirius. Plus, Mr. Derpspiracy loves talk radio but has become disillusioned with Rush and Hannity. With my nightly ritual of listening to Art Bell in the evenings, he has somehow become a fan. I think that deep down, he's been just as crazily excited as I have been over the past month.

I guess it's kind of funny that when these reruns originally aired, we were too young to stay up that late. Neither of us got the actual Art Bell experience, and yet we're huge fans. That speaks volumes to the wit, personality, and awesomeness that is Art Bell.

ItsOver

Quote from: kingotnw on July 30, 2013, 04:42:55 AM
.... but I didn't want to insult anyone here who is a fan of the current version of the show.

Cynnie

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 30, 2013, 06:07:12 AM
HELP A FELLOW BELLGABBER

So the questions I need to know:
1) Can I listen to Art Bell if I sign up for Sirius through my iPhone?
2) Can my dad listen to Art Bell if he gets a Sirius radio?
3) Can I set up my father's radio to sign on with my credentials?
4) Does any of this mean I can listen to Sirius in my car, as well ( actually had this in my car when I got it but didn't renew after 6 months free)

I am just so confused.
Ive had sirius for eons , the car service and the ipad/iPhone service are two separate bills. I think for the ipad i pay 30 bucks a year . Really not terrible.
And yes you can share an account ..at least i share with my husband on two separate ipads and so far so good .

dan7800

http://m.spoofee.com/deals-Existing_Customers_How_to_get_50_off_Sirius_XM_Radio-732226.htm#.Ufe6RWS9Kc0

(Sorry for spamming this)

The radios are not much. Buy a portable unit and the boombox and you will be fine.

Diabhal

Times like these I wish demonoid was around. Is Sirius just an American service?

indigoo

I'm sure someone will archive them  :P

scottydawg

Folks don't get your panties in a bunch >:(, there are used Sirius/XM radios available on eBay. I picked up a nice little pocket one a few years ago because subscription cards were half off at Target. This thing is amazing, it's a satellite receiver and a Mp3 player.
  And it has 1 touch record, so if I'm listening to something I like I can record it and listen to it anytime I want. Also can hook it up to my computer and upload music and old C2C files of Art's shows. That really helps at nite when C2C sucks, just switch right over to the Mp3 files. Plus most the music channels are commercial free! That's right, I didn't have to listen to any stupid, annoying political ads during the last big election :o!
  Plus there are great channels like Blue Collar Radio ;), On Broadway, Symphony Pops, Frank Sinatra 8), Grateful Dead, Willie Nelson, and Decades specific music channels which go from the 1940's to the 90's. And they also do the Emergency Alert System for your specific area. So how much restoring your sanity after having your brain melted by Snoory after all these years?

Sleepwalker

Even though Art is not directly competing in the same time slot as Dave Noory, I believe he will steal a substantial percentage of Dave's listeners.  There are a lot of people for whom 1:00-5:00 am is PRIME TIME for Art's style of radio.  The show is going to be rebroadcast all night until 6:00 am.  I predict a whole lot of Art's audience will choose to listen then - seriously eroding Dave's audience.  Even if most people choose to listen to Art live, how many will want to change stations after three hours of great radio to listen to Dave's amateur conspiracy rantings?  Remember the old show-biz adage about "a hard act to follow."  Who's going to remain in their seat and watch an amateur magician do card tricks for four hours after enjoying great three great hours of . . . well, you get the idea.

kingotnw

Quote from: Sleepwalker on July 30, 2013, 07:21:35 AM
Even though Art is not directly competing in the same time slot as Dave Noory, I believe he will steal a substantial percentage of Dave's listeners.  There are a lot of people for whom 1:00-5:00 am is PRIME TIME for Art's style of radio.  The show is going to be rebroadcast all night until 6:00 am.  I predict a whole lot of Art's audience will choose to listen then - seriously eroding Dave's audience.  Even if most people choose to listen to Art live, how many will want to change stations after three hours of great radio to listen to Dave's amateur conspiracy rantings?  Remember the old show-biz adage about "a hard act to follow."  Who's going to remain in their seat and watch an amateur magician do card tricks for four hours after enjoying great three great hours of . . . well, you get the idea.

I agree that he is going to grab a chunk of the audience for sure. Putting him on right before C2C is actually brilliant. It will let people check out the show and make sure it is good while not missing C2C if they currently watch it. I think two things will happen as a direct result of this. People will listen to Art first, and then notice a drop off in quality when C2C comes on. I know there are a handful of people expecting ARt to not be his old self, but even if that were the case, Art's worst show ever is better than the current C2C's best show. People will notice that right away. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to move him to C2C's time slot after some time has gone by and people are aware of, and listening to, the show.

Quote from: kingotnw on July 30, 2013, 07:35:35 AM
I agree that he is going to grab a chunk of the audience for sure. Putting him on right before C2C is actually brilliant. It will let people check out the show and make sure it is good while not missing C2C if they currently watch it. I think two things will happen as a direct result of this. People will listen to Art first, and then notice a drop off in quality when C2C comes on. I know there are a handful of people expecting ARt to not be his old self, but even if that were the case, Art's worst show ever is better than the current C2C's best show. People will notice that right away. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to move him to C2C's time slot after some time has gone by and people are aware of, and listening to, the show.
I also think he will swipe some of Clyde Lewis' audience. And that's too bad for when Clyde has shows like he had last night.
But competition makes us all stronger.
Which is why Dave Noorie will only weaken.

[attachimg=1]

Clyde's show going to take the hit. Also I don't think coast to coast will be effected much as its widely available. $13 a month is going to cost bell a lot of listeners. Also most listeners are casual, many will have no clue someone who retired a decade ago is back.

Anyone know if dave included art bell in his closing statement.

jazmunda

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 30, 2013, 07:43:22 AM
Anyone know if dave included art bell in his closing statement.

Apparently not and nor should he.

The next question is: when will SIT be yanked from the air? This week? September 14th? Surely PremRad have existing deals with stations. Can they change it to Nowhere in Time with Dave Noorie?

Quote from: jazmunda on July 30, 2013, 07:45:51 AM
Interesting... He always has before.

jazmunda

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 30, 2013, 07:47:13 AM
Interesting... He always has before.

That was before Art signed with the opposition. He may not be playing in the same time slot but he will take audience away from Noorie's parent company's other programmes.

trsix

bought  a new chevy a year ago. had xm free for a year. never used it once. as much as i want to listen to art no way i'm paying 15 a month.

indigoo

If you go to www.siriusxm.com/xw1w25, you might be able to get the 6 months for $25 promotion. I actually had a piece of mail lying around with this offer, as my trial passed months ago and they continue to send me stuff. I just re-activated and it will take me into Feb. 2014. This will give me plenty of time to see if I like Art's show enough to haggle another deal. I'm sure I will. Even if you add Internet Radio, you won't be paying more than ~$8 bucks a month, though you pay it all at once. My total was $28.11 for 6 months, and $21.23 for Internet radio (6 months). Damn good deal I think.

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on July 30, 2013, 07:45:51 AM

The next question is: when will SIT be yanked from the air? This week? September 14th? Surely PremRad have existing deals with stations. Can they change it to Nowhere in Time with Dave Noorie?

I don't think it'll be long, even for PremRat.  Heck, doesn't Dave Noorie almost always say "we have another "classhick" show tonight" so there's more than enough sewage to fill the pipe.  "Coming shoon....Nowhere in Time (NIT) with Dave Noorie!"  :P  PremRat and the Nooron will be treating Art like a terminated employee nobody ever heard of while they churn out NIT-wit.  ::)

ItsOver

Quote from: Derpspiracy on July 30, 2013, 06:38:08 AM
.... Plus, Mr. Derpspiracy loves talk radio but has become disillusioned with Rush and Hannity....

I hear Mr. Derpspricacy on that.  The best Rush shows now are when Mark Stein is the "undocumented host" and Hannity is a breathless rant, interrupted by the occasional idiotic interchange.

CampsieNP

I just added Sirius internet access to my car account. 34.18 for the year.
Well well worth it.  I can not wait to hear the first Art Bell broadcast. Finally.
I'll bet Art does not drop the F bomb even if he can. But if he does, I hope he says F Dave Noorie.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 30, 2013, 12:05:16 AM
Since you have to have a little affluence and more of a middle-class style life to afford satellite radio, I'm wondering if that will curb a lot of the interesting calls like Art used to get.
Not sure about the callers, but it will certainly be a barrier to a lot of his old2 listeners. Besides that, the sound quality is horrible. Mark your calender clearly for your SiriusXM renewal date...if you let it roll over, they'll charge your credit card at ridiculous rates. Best to call and cancel a day before and then they'll offer huge discounts. IIRC, you have to go through the gaunlet of telemarketing to cancel...can't do it online.  It sucks to pay for "radio" and the hardware to listen at home.

daddystabz

I'm so stoked! Does anyone know if Sirius offers an android phone and Ipad option or will I pretty much have to buy a receiver?

kf5iwe

I will only be able to listen 2 nights a week. I work in a jail and we cannot bring phones inside. We can bring small am/fm radios. I not sure I can justify the cost for 2 nights a week. I will have to consider these things. Plus it will interfere with Ground Zero. :( :(

VtaGeezer

Sirius has an smart phone app, but I don't know the details.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 08:38:06 AM
I will only be able to listen 2 nights a week. I work in a jail and we cannot bring phones inside. We can bring small am/fm radios. I not sure I can justify the cost for 2 nights a week. I will have to consider these things. Plus it will interfere with Ground Zero. :( :(
You need an antenna to receive Sirius...and a location with good reception.

JimHarold

Quote from: JimHarold on July 22, 2013, 08:52:44 AM
My guess is a satellite radio show...based on the Contact video and the "wanna take a ride" reference...in a way, his show would be taking a ride on a communication satellite with Sirius XM.

I hate to say I told you so, but....   :)

Yorkshire pud

As getting to listen to Art Bell will mean committing to (in some cases) considerable financial investment, upfront; will you qualify for a refund if Art doesn't get the listeners and decides to throw in the towel less than a year in? We don't pay for access to radio in the UK, so it's an alien (No pun intended) concept to me.