• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

nika01

Quote from: Xavier on November 13, 2013, 08:13:23 PM
Getting out of a NC is not nearly as simple/cheap/quick as everyone as has been making it out to be. There's so many armchair lawyers posting all sorts of nonsense as if it's fact and it's getting the hopes up of so many. If it really was only a nuisance/technicality...wouldn't he have challenged it already? NC clauses are designed to punish people who quit...they are legal and enforceable...people keep acting like he was FIRED and that Sirius is somehow holding him hostage. Yes, NC's can be challenged..overturned or settled. Sometimes you can buy your way out of them OR be paid to remain in one. It all depends on the details. Art may have a case...I hope so. Reading some of these posts it seems people are getting their hopes WAY up believing they are armed with legal knowledge because they read a post on a message board where someone spoke like they were an expert on this subject. We don't know what happened or what the specifics are. I have come to the conclusion that if nothing else Art believes(correctly or incorrectly) he's in the right. Time will tell....probably in two years.

and your law degree is from?? Seriously are you a lawyer?

urbie88

Quote from: SaucyRossy on November 13, 2013, 08:14:08 PM
Yeah, one step at a time. I'm sure Keith can put together an iPhone app that's ten times better than the Sirius one

^oh yeah

Quote from: Art Bell on November 13, 2013, 08:11:45 PM
Well, a person can not always have the best of all Worlds, we will stream for free live and
perhaps charge something for On Demand or Podcast. Not thinking that far ahed yet,
one step at a time.

Art

I'd gladly pay for ArtBell.com podcast and on-demand episodes.

dortmunder

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on November 13, 2013, 07:37:52 PM
Art simply needs a firm specializing in business law and specifically non-compete agreements like this firm: http://www.bakerlaw.com/practices/

I know just the guy he needs...

Page 420, time for a celebration

nika01

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 13, 2013, 08:15:35 PM

Me too. Personally, didn't like most of the callers. Tuned in for the guests and Art. Canned is fine by me

lonevoice

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 13, 2013, 08:16:42 PM
Page 420, time for a celebration
Aww, hells yeah.  Where's aldous when we need him?

Quote from: basswood on November 13, 2013, 08:09:24 PM
BAM! Not a single ambiguous word. Nothing hidden, nothing going on behind the scenes, nothing avoided. This is the most worthwhile thing you have said or typed since you returned, Art. Awesome :)

urbie88

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 13, 2013, 08:15:35 PM

So would I.

Art podcasting and streaming is the wave of the future just like you said on gabcast. You could reach so many devices. iPhones, android, Apple TV...hell even game consoles like Xbox One and the PS4. For a nominal fee you could provide content. Even bring back the webcam!

fave

Well, a person can not always have the best of all Worlds, we will stream for free live and
perhaps charge something for On Demand or Podcast. Not thinking that far ahed yet,
one step at a time.

Art

It will be what it will be. Glad to hear you lawyered up!

Got to ask, who did the art work for the Art of Talk cover?

bateman

Quote from: nika01 on November 13, 2013, 08:17:45 PM
Me too. Personally, didn't like most of the callers. Tuned in for the guests and Art. Canned is fine by me

Same. Honestly, I'd love a Dreamland format.

dortmunder

Quote from: Art Bell on November 13, 2013, 07:58:59 PM
Yes, it is not a fight I want, but it is one I WILL have. I have asked to be released from the NC and
got a no first time around, now I have asked again and taken steps with Legal help. We shall see
what develops.

As for thinking George is a nice guy, those days are long gone. He should feel the sharp knife of
hypocrisy stab him every night when he "thanks me", I told him what a piece of crap he was after
he put Oates on in language that would make most Sirius/XM Hosts blush, still he does it either
because he has been told to do it or he really woves me, I prefer the former.

Art

Good for you, Art! Fight the good fight! We're behind you!

fave

Quote from: bateman on November 13, 2013, 08:19:42 PM
Same. Honestly, I'd love a Dreamland format.

Dreamland was brilliant!

maureen

one step at a time.

Art
All in and with you all the way!!

Isnt the reason Art left Sirius was he didnt want to do a dreamland style show. I think Art likes taking calls. I know I am in the minority but I like the Open lines shows. If you recall most of Art's classics were from open lines (usually a nut that called in and later became a guest).

Chad Jacobs

Yes, it is not a fight I want, but it is one I WILL have. I have asked to be released from the NC and
got a no first time around, now I have asked again and taken steps with Legal help. We shall see
what develops.

As for thinking George is a nice guy, those days are long gone. He should feel the sharp knife of
hypocrisy stab him every night when he "thanks me", I told him what a piece of crap he was after
he put Oates on in language that would make most Sirius/XM Hosts blush, still he does it either

Art
I still believe that George is a "nice" guy, but he's not perfect. I like the way he shows empathy towards callers, his naval service, and his conservative/libertarian perspectives. I don't know much about Oates except that even on your shows I found him so "implausible" that I could barely listen (even with you hosting).  Again, Noory at his very best will never be more than a decent episode of Revolution whereas even on a bad day you are Heisenberg giving forth crystal blue discourse alas I fear that like Breaking Bad that I will have to learn again to live without that particular ride.  As to the non compete perhaps you can find other avenues to bring counter pressure onto Sirius. If they made, provable material representations (such as having streaming worldwide), then perhaps those issues can be brought to bare as leverage (via a counter suit for damages for instance).  There is also the approach of "proxy broadcasting" via other hosts (again Knapp comes to mind, but there has to be other interested talents out there if he isn't so inclined or able, and again as I mentioned previously it would surprise me if George wasn't encumbered by his own non compete with Premier) as a "bridge" until your non compete expires.

retired41

I think the show will be better ,for what art knows now that 20/20  thing.

Derpspiracy

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 13, 2013, 08:20:07 PM

I laughed at this way too much. It was the UFO going up in flames with Art calmly standing by that did it.

Luna

Quote from: dortmunder on November 13, 2013, 07:25:47 PM
I agree, but the BNW expansion does improve things quite a bit. Had to spank Shaka the other day because he was after my oil fields near Antium. He offered me a peece treaty along with some dinky little city that only had a few sheep next to it. And wouldn't you know it, he goes to the world Congress  and convinces the other civs to impose a trade embargo on me! What a little shit!
I haven't tried any add ons or mods. I'm thinking I'm no good at the game, because I'm on the second easiest mode and I've been trying to take out one NPC for a whole day and I'm not getting anywhere! I took out a few cities, but now progress is completely stagnant... but i gave up because I wasn't getting anywhere... plus the power supply on my computer broke. *weep*

fave

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 13, 2013, 08:22:21 PM
Isnt the reason Art left Sirius was he didnt want to do a dreamland style show. I think Art likes taking calls. I know I am in the minority but I like the Open lines shows. If you recall most of Art's classics were from open lines (usually a nut that called in and later became a guest).

I like live open calls. Can't get into them when they are repeats.

IcicleTrepan

Hey Art, got a question.

During Dark Matter I remember wishing you did more open lines-only shows, did you deliberately avoid them because of the issues with the low number of people calling in? (which is totally reasonable by the way).

Quote from: Derpspiracy on November 13, 2013, 08:23:10 PM
I laughed at this way too much. It was the UFO going up in flames with Art calmly standing by that did it.

Those are from ArtBell.com circa 1997.

ledzep69r

what develops.

Art

retired41

open line shows are the best .

Derpspiracy

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 13, 2013, 08:10:24 PM

http://youtu.be/yt8K2F2TG6w

This is Radio Clash on pirate satellite
Orbiting your living room,
Cashing in the Bill of Rights