• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

I would imagine that Art will have archived shows on his website for all of you that don't want XM.

DesertFox

About those jibing about how long until Art retires again--my advice enjoy each show like it will be the last...then you won't be caught by suprise this time!

That said, i'll give Art 5 years but it could be sooner!  LOL.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DesertFox on July 30, 2013, 11:03:31 AM
About those jibing about how long until Art retires again--my advice enjoy each show like it will be the last...then you won't be caught by suprise this time!

Which is fair comment IF you haven't got to invest possibly a great deal of money to listen.. But if you do, and he's not on the air in 8/ 15/ 24 mths?  You won't get your money back will you?

Phaedra

Quote from: DesertFox on July 30, 2013, 11:03:31 AM

I'm with you, DF. . .I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts, however long that may be.

DesertFox

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 30, 2013, 11:09:18 AM
Which is fair comment IF you haven't got to invest possibly a great deal of money to listen.. But if you do, and he's not on the air in 8/ 15/ 24 mths?  You won't get your money back will you?

One thing you can do is cancel the subscription month to month...art quits, cancel the subscription.  The radio though you will be stuck with...i'd get the cheapest one available.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: DesertFox on July 30, 2013, 11:22:24 AM

One thing you can do is cancel the subscription month to month...art quits, cancel the subscription.  The radio though you will be stuck with...i'd get the cheapest one available.

Keep in mind if someone has a tablet, Kindle, smart phone, etc., you don't need to purchase a separate radio.  You can download a Sirius app and listen that way.  If you just want to listen via your laptop, you can do it that way too.

Ravenna

I note that article going around the internet says that the Sirius representative contacted Art via social media a few months ago.  That must have been when he was in negotiations for that other show that didn't work out.  Recall that message on FB that said, in sum, that he had walked from a deal coz it wasn't right?  I'm thinking that was probably with Cumulus.  Then, when the Cumulus deal didn't work out, he already knew that he had the option of going with Sirius.  Maybe that's why the Cumulus deal didn't work out:  he knew he'd get far more creative control being on Sirius.

So are there as many commercials on Sirius as there are on AM radio?  I'm disappointed about that, if so.

lava filling

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 11:27:42 AM

So are there as many commercials on Sirius as there are on AM radio?  I'm disappointed about that, if so.

I don't think there are as many, but even though they seem fewer or shorter, they are tedious. 

Ravenna

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 10:45:40 AM
Yeah I am going to get sirius too. I can afford it, I just dont like paying for only 2 days a week. I am going to have to clear a place in the shack to put the new boom box. So I will be busy for the rest of the day
Still miffed I cant listen at work.

I can barely afford it, but I'm going to budget myself tightly so that I can.  For example, buy my toiletries at the Dollar Store instead of CVS.  Seriously, I got some face moisturizer for a dollar at the Dollar Store that works as well as stuff I used to pay $12 for at CVS.

One thing I wonder, and I apologize if this has already been addressed.  To hear Art on Sirius, will I have to buy one of their radios or can you get a subscription to only listen to him via the internet?  Coz I'd much prefer the latter.  Don't like the idea of having to shell out $50 for one of their radios, on top of the monthly expense I'm going to be incurring.

lava filling

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 11:30:55 AM
One thing I wonder, and I apologize if this has already been addressed.  To hear Art on Sirius, will I have to buy one of their radios or can you get a subscription to only listen to him via the internet?  Coz I'd much prefer the latter.  Don't like the idea of having to shell out $50 for one of their radios, on top of the monthly expense I'm going to be incurring.

Yep.  You can get an internet-only sub. 

Ravenna

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 30, 2013, 11:27:23 AM
Keep in mind if someone has a tablet, Kindle, smart phone, etc., you don't need to purchase a separate radio.  You can download a Sirius app and listen that way.  If you just want to listen via your laptop, you can do it that way too.

Oh, thank you for this!  I feel so much better now knowing I won't have to buy one of their radios.  I'm going to go edit my above message where I just asked about this (you must have been reading my mind via the stratosphere).

I'm just going to use my i phone. I've done it in the past to listen to ball games. Works fine. Hate the fee though. $15 or so for a radio show. I've done the trial thing before, Sirius programming seriously sucks, not any better than tune in and that's FREE.

Spinner

You know, I started listening to Art's show in the mid-90s. Every single night, and I loved every minute. I was so disappointed when he stopped doing the show altogether, but there was always the hope that he might come back. And now he will.

I must admit that my heart sank a little when I learned that he will be on satellite radio only, but I'm thrilled that he's back, and can hardly wait to hear him again.

lava filling

FYI for those who've had subscriptions for a while-- i just went online and checked my account--which i've never done before--and i have free internet streaming with my sub that i got years and years ago.  i actually didn't know about it, and i was worried i'd have to pay for it.  so that was a nice surprise  ;D

$15 can be a lot. That's gas for the week for me. Grrr really want to get it but such an odd concepts to pay for it. Only plus side is you get mlb baseball too I think.

Usagi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 30, 2013, 01:15:46 AM
        That family I was sponsoring in Liberia for the "cost of a cup of coffee a day"

Change of plans, fuckers! Enjoy that boy soldiering thing, Art's back!

Eddie.  You are so fucking awesome, it hurts.  Seriously.

kf5iwe

I just cancelled my Weightwatchers membership, $44.00 a manth, and my gym membership $35.00 a month. $79.00 a month , so hell yeah I can afford siriusxm :)

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 11:51:03 AM
I just cancelled my Weightwatchers membership, $44.00 a manth, and my gym membership $35.00 a month. $79.00 a month , so hell yeah I can afford siriusxm :)

Uhh priorities.

kf5iwe

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 30, 2013, 11:52:40 AM
Uhh priorities.
My priorities are right. With what I have leftover I can buy popp tarts. Lots and lots of pop tarts.

Quote from: kf5iwe on July 30, 2013, 11:54:58 AM
My priorities are right. With what I have leftover I can buy popp tarts. Lots and lots of pop tarts.
Go run outside for free. :D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: S. R. Hadden on July 30, 2013, 09:24:50 AM

Hadden Industries has made a small donation to BellGab.com in appreciation of your good efforts.

i am humbled.  thank you very much.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 30, 2013, 11:27:23 AM
But you'll still need an internet subscription for Sirius to use a computer or smartphone, and it's an extra on top of a basic one radio fee.  I stopped clicking thru to see what the cost is; they really try to suck you in.

ItsOver

Quote from: Ravenna on July 30, 2013, 11:27:42 AM

...So are there as many commercials on Sirius as there are on AM radio?  I'm disappointed about that, if so.

Commercials are just something we have to tolerate to enjoy Art's excellent music selections.  Damn that guy's good.  He even makes me want to have commercials.  ;D

MV/Liberace!

i posted this in another thread.  for those of you frothing over the idea of paying for sirius:

my dad already has an account, so i asked him to add an online subscription for my use, which i will pay him for.  came out to $63 for three years, or approximately $1.85 per month.  that's nothing.  i don't know why so many people are freaking out.  there are a number of ways to make this happen without paying $15 per month. 

also, frankly, i'd rather not have to use a conventional radio to hear art's show, anyway.  i'm glad it's on satellite.  i won't have to hear horrible local commercials, audio quality will be better, there's a dedicated app for listening through my phone on the go, there's other content on siriusXM i'd like to hear, art bell will have complete creative freedom, and there will be no signal issues.

Ravenna

Thought this was interesting:  how to record Sirius on your computer.

http://www.abyssmedia.com/isound7/record-sirius-radio.shtml

Grov505th

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2013, 12:11:38 PM
i posted this in another thread.  for those of you frothing over the idea of paying for sirius:

my dad already has an account, so i asked him to add an online subscription for my use, which i will pay him for.  came out to $63 for three years, or approximately $1.85 per month.  that's nothing.  i don't know why so many people are freaking out.  there are a number of ways to make this happen without paying $15 per month. 

also, frankly, i'd rather not have to use a conventional radio to hear art's show, anyway.  i'm glad it's on satellite.  i won't have to hear horrible local commercials, audio quality will be better, there's a dedicated app for listening through my phone on the go, there's other content on siriusXM i'd like to hear, art bell will have complete creative freedom, and there will be no signal issues.

I would have to agree with you MV.  Sometimes I would have to hop around on the radio to try and find the show.

S. R. Hadden

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2013, 12:11:38 PM

Sharing a subscription is a smart move.  Call it the "Friends & Family Plan".  ;)

And the Internet version of Sirius-XM Channel 104 (Indie) is in Stereo.  Art will never have sounded better and the bumper music.... Yesss!!  ;D

Ravenna

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 30, 2013, 11:42:14 AM
$15 can be a lot. That's gas for the week for me. Grrr really want to get it but such an odd concepts to pay for it. Only plus side is you get mlb baseball too I think.

I think I heard it's only $12.50 a month if you get the internet only subscription.  Elsewhere though I heard $12.95 a month for internet only.  I'm going that way, since I mostly use the internet now to listen to radio anyhow, via Tunein.com.  I've gotten used to it.  I have a Kindle, so I'll be able to download the Sirius app and lug my Kindle around the house with me like a portable radio.  A tip:  if you're going to be listening through a tablet or laptop, buy yourself a small external speaker to oomph the sound.  I bought myself a little external speaker (fits in the palm of my hand) for only $25 and found it makes a big difference to the sound quality, as the Kindle is not all that fantastic for the quality of its sound despite that the manufacturer claims its two little speakers are "Dolby."  Most laptops have shitty sound quality, too, in their built-in speakers.