• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

spellerine

Just a few thoughts after a night of almost no sleep, from a casual Bellgabber listening to the MITD Test Show:

First off, despite the obvious technical problems with the internet, this was the most entertaining radio/podcast/whatever I have heard in a long time.  And just so much potential all in this first show.

Second, the ads.  I do not know how many of these ads have been playing on DMDN before this night, but they were just PERFECT for the atmosphere of Art's show.  All except maybe the screaming lady one....that just got annoying.  The majority of the ads, were almost as entertaining as the show itself, which may have been the goal.  And it is a good one.

Lastly, the overall vibe from the test show, the fans, and bellgab, at least what I notice...compared to Dark Matter is like Night and Day.  People were excited about Dark Matter, however it always felt like everyone was just tolerating this or that about the whole thing simply to have Art back.  Which is understandable, however most shows were complained about in one way or another and it just didn't feel right.  THIS is the beginning of the show Art should have been doing all along.  The MITD test show was so much better than any fan could have expected since Art left c2c in 2010.

Oh also wanted to mention, I enjoyed (Redacted) being on very much.  I am not sure why people are thinking she was to be a co-host, but she is a great occasional or even frequent open lines sidekick.  One possible improvement might be to get her microphone sounding more matching to Art's, so they sound in the same studio, although the current Skype setup does give a modern podcast vibe to the show.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 04:15:54 AM
Don't worry, we will let a bit of time pass and try again, I think people thought you were going to be there every night, I should have explained it was for mainly open lines interaction, we will try again, as I said people hate change. You were just great and given time you would relax and be super.

Art

Yeah, that wasn't very clear to be honest. If I hadn't known, I wouldn't of realized she was going to only be on for open lines on Fridays.

Also, next time, it might help to explain the feel of things, that she's on there for the fun of the show.

Jackstar

Explaining to the hoi polloi is a sucker's game. They never stop with their plaintive mewling and whining.

Xitheron

Here is tonight's show-

Art or Kieth please just give me the word and I'll take this down.. I only did this because I didn't think this is part of the "official" show and I know bellgabbers like to archive.. (any they'll get it one way or another..here's a high quality one)

I recorded it high def stereo and also "mastered" it.. Art you sound amazing! I edited out commercials and a bit of dead air here and there. I edited it like I know I'll want to hear it ten years from now. Enjoy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01ILdfbJoIgdGc1YWE2MnJQcjQ/view?usp=sharing

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Xitheron on July 20, 2015, 05:07:44 AM
Here is tonight's show-

Art or Kieth please just give me the word and I'll take this down..

I'm not speaking for them, just myself when I say. There is absolutely no reason in the world to post this. Time traveler subscription is $5 a month, which is beyond fair.

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 20, 2015, 05:16:49 AM

I'm not speaking for them, just myself when I say. There is absolutely no reason in the world to post this. Time traveler subscription is $5 a month, which is beyond fair.

Unless they do not put this show on there. It was a test show and last time I checked the show was yet to be posted for the time travelers.

serenity

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 20, 2015, 04:26:50 AM
When you hit the air tomorrow with Crystal Gayle and Graham Hancock, the crowds will roar.  Listeners might want to know something about me, I will think carefully on what I am willing to reveal.  I cannot blame anyone for wanting to hear more of you doing your magic.

Yes, maybe listeners thought I'd be with you every night, and were spooked by that.  If they realized it's just an occasional Open Lines possibility, maybe we'd all relax.

As I said, it is such a joy knowing your non-compete is over and we can look forward to tuning in tomorrow night for another ride into the unknown.

What a treat to be on the air tonight... we were on shortwave, Art! 

First Welcome back Art. It has been a long time coming. I agree with Red. No one outside the forum here really knew that Redacted was going to be on only for open lines. Give it time. Maybe the night before you when you announce " And tomorrow night open lines"  add a bit about Red. People are slow to change, true but give it time. While you sounded great as you always do, you were complimented by Red's presence. We all here, and out in the "other" world are just glad you are back. It's your show and we will go with what ever you have in mind.
*pats Redacted on the back and says" there there It's ok" *
Welcome back old friend! You made my whole year!

SaucyRossy

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 20, 2015, 05:18:31 AM
Unless they do not put this show on there. It was a test show and last time I checked the show was yet to be posted for the time travelers.

Well, if that is the case I'm sure it'll be addressed

Kolchak

Quote from: Xitheron on July 20, 2015, 05:07:44 AM
Here is tonight's show-

Art or Kieth please just give me the word and I'll take this down.. I only did this because I didn't think this is part of the "official" show and I know bellgabbers like to archive.. (any they'll get it one way or another..here's a high quality one)

I recorded it high def stereo and also "mastered" it.. Art you sound amazing! I edited out commercials and a bit of dead air here and there. I edited it like I know I'll want to hear it ten years from now. Enjoy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01ILdfbJoIgdGc1YWE2MnJQcjQ/view?usp=sharing

It is up for the time travelers, but it's in 3 separate pieces. This is the least convenient way of doing a podcast. I subscribe to about 20 podcasts (including one I pay $20 a year for), and each of them have a regular RSS that can be picked up by a podcast app.

I did not expect to spend my time before work this morning loading individual files into itunes and syncing things.

On a side note, the show was amazing, and Redacted was terrific as always.

Show already was up on all the pirate networks within a hour of Art going off the air.

spellerine

Ok what I said above about people complaining...apparently lots of people are still complaining and probably will complain about something no matter what. 

(Redacted) was great.  It was a fun test show, although with some technical difficulties.  Nothing more or less...Art is having fun and that can only make the show better in the long run.  Lighten up people?

I believe as time goes by they will find a place where she naturally fits into the show.

tularosa

OK I found it on the site.  Besides being in 3 segments the advance buttons do not work correctly ie if you advance the stream it completely quits working even after the buffer catches up it still will not work. If set back to the beginning it still does not work.  I have to completely leave the site and start over.

Hopefully they will get this fixed.

Jackstar

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 20, 2015, 06:01:44 AM

Show already was up on all the pirate networks within a hour of Art going off the air.

I just time traveled over to the show archives and the show isn't there. Oh, hello, moral dilemma, I missed you.

slippingaway

Indeed the show was amazing, even with the technical glitches. Art: the bandwidth of t1 is not so much, but ordering a traditional t1 line is super expensive. Perhaps another provider like centurylunk or Newwave could serve as back up. http://www.newwavecom.com/ is what I've found. A fresh cut if coax to your studio, and a router with fail-over and load balancing would solve a headache or 2, including headaches not yet had.

Jackstar

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 20, 2015, 06:22:26 AM
You're just simply not going to beat the pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k2aCgqq3zw

Okay, wait, what were you saying? Anyway, ninjas.

MAX

Quote from: jazmunda on July 20, 2015, 03:57:54 AM
You have to understand that it's extremely hard to read cues from your co-host when your physically not in the same room and can't see each other. It takes some time to work out your rhythm with another person. Add to that the fact that redacted was talking with Art Bell live on the air for the first time and you can imagine that she was nervous and not wanting to step on his toes or talk out of turn. As time passes she will be more comfortable and won't have to wait until Art asks for her opinion or input.

Give her a chance. I thought she was great and the chemistry (which was great anyway) can only improve.

Redacted sounds hot pictures please    :)

Needle woman

So wonderful to hear you, Art!  I loved it, technical difficulties not withstanding.

Redacted, so cool to hear you, too.

Can't wait for tonight.☺️

Not sure if it's been posted but here's an interview with Art in RadioInk Magazine that just got posted a few hours ago.

http://www.radioink.com/article.asp?id=2951999&spid=24698

Soylentblue

Art I thoroughly enjoyed last nights test. Your voice quality was better than I have ever heard on terrestrial radio as was most of the callers. Simply outstanding sound.

Apart from the end of the second hour when the stream kept stuttering it was great.

I have a minor complaint. As was mentioned a few pages ago the advert with the screaming lady is disturbing. When the ad starts it is shocking because it's tempo is unlike anything else that was streaming. It is as if I changed stations and the volume jumped by a few levels. A small complaint.

Thank you again for a wonderful evening.

nika01

Perfect Possession....

REdacted, I think the idea of perfect possession is a little different than what you and Art discussed last night. If I recall correctly, the idea is that people that are perfectly possessed have no clue that they are affected, and neither do people that see them walking down the street. As I understand it, and I may be wrong, perfect possession occurs when one surrenders themselves to an activity to the point that they are driven solely by said activity. There is certainly a dark component to it , but not overtly so. The "activity" could be anything, but it qualifies as a possession because it cuts the connection between the affected person and real life. In other words, it limits the person to merely earthly things. I would have to re-listen to Father Martins' interview about this again to be sure, its been at least a decade, but it stuck with me, as it obviously did you.
Some might say that Art Bell fanatics are perfectly possessed :) Kidding, sort of...

Loved the show, Art!

I haven't listened to very many GabCasts and have not listened to her interview with Art, so am not super familiar w/(Redacted), but I thought she did a fine job last night.

That said, it's tiresome to read the Davebot accusations in response to regular posters who happen to have a differing (possibly not even minority) opinion. Art wants feedback. He'll sort it all out and the show will be great.

Excited for tonight!!

Ms. C

Don't worry, we will let a bit of time pass and try again, I think people thought you were going to be there every night, I should have explained it was for mainly open lines interaction, we will try again, as I said people hate change. You were just great and given time you would relax and be super.

Art
I so agree with you Art, (Redacted) was great and will become super!  All of us gabblings knew this was a 'test' show and Red was helping with the testing ... also, BellGabbers  all knew that she will be on for open lines ... not as a full-time co-host ...yes, perhaps the non-gabblers needed to be clued in ... BUT they sure were quick to  find BellGab to whine about Red (can't believe many of them weren't aware of it after all our discussions throughout the last months!)

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and I agree that most folks have a hard time allowing 'change'.  Several posters did indeed give respectful corrective criticism from their point of view,  ...
but here is what bothers me ... so much of the criticism came with such a harshness, a whole thread startied by a newbie ...spouting such venomous hurting words; and seeping into other threads also.   People, there is a way of stating your thoughts and feelings without needing to put someone down and slapping away like a two year old brat.  I wonder if Dave sent his mean babies over here?    :(

Skunk Ape

Quote from: Kolchak on July 20, 2015, 05:53:04 AM
have a regular RSS that can be picked up by a podcast app.

I did not expect to spend my time before work this morning loading individual files into itunes and syncing things.

That's the #1 thing that needs resolution...
okay maybe #2 behind Art needing a non-thunderstorm bubble around the compound.

stepsten

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on July 20, 2015, 02:39:36 AM
I think Redacted is great for open lines. Only thing I felt was off was the pacing, you'd stop and defer to her for comment rather than her piping up for herself. She needs some practice and maybe to be a little less self conscious.

I'd have to agree, but that comes quickly with a bit of time. Audio quality was GREAT, and the Art Bell voice only gets better....

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 02:13:13 AM
Ok, we learned a lot tonight, people do not want me to have a co-host, not Redacted's fault at all just people who don't like change. She really sounded awesome.

We also learned that massive Thunderstorms screw with Internet over the 9000 foot Mountain it comes over, sad thing is it might happen again tonight. Looking at options that might include a t1. Otherwise it was a blast. We will work out the kinks.

It was a test show.

Art

Broke my cardinal rule and took the smartphone to bed so I could listen. I listened on the dark matter livestream and had no issues at all even though unfortunately you did. I made it through to the tech issues you experienced well into Hour 2 and that's when I fell asleep (East Coast here.)  I have no idea whether you worked it out or not but I'm sure it's just a minor bump in the road.

Observations:
- The shout out to BellGab was priceless. So many people here kept the momentum going even when it seemed impossible. Vaguely lovable indeed.   
- The Skype callers sounded like they were in the room with me. :) If my little iPhone 4S sounded like that, I can only imagine how an upscale set up would project the sound.
- The blood-curdling screaming woman in the "Help me!" commercial scared my cats every time but ,sadly, not enough to leave the only air-conditioned room in the house.
- It was a pleasure to hear (Redacted) join you in the second hour. I think she was insightful and asked some great questions last night. I was a bit dismayed to see that the first thread headline I saw this morning when I signed on here was about not having a co-host. You tried something different. So what? Everyone's a critic but I enjoyed the addition of a host with a genuine interest.

As you said last night, the tech stuff will be worked out as you go. Don't let it deter you from continuing to have a blast with this. It was obvious that you were having fun with it. Can't wait to hear more tonight.

tularosa

Just finished listening to the test show on the TT archives.  There has to be improvement on the pause/play button controls to make it feasible to listen.  I don't have the same issues listening to other DMDN shows.

The audio was great when the show was streaming but sure a lot of tech. problems--good idea to have a test show.  Sure was great to hear Art again after all this time.

I did not hear any of the commercials or bumper music on the archived show.  I wonder if anyone knows why I did not?

Loaded

Art
Last night being the first time most people have heard Art since he left SiriusXM, naturally they were going to be unnerved that there was another voice sharing airtime with him.  Given some time for people to get into a new routine with MITD, they will be better prepared to hear someone occasionally drop in for open lines.

I honestly like the fact that the show isn't some polished corporate product.  It gives it a homebrew feel, like we're listening to some guy (that we've known for 20 years) broadcast out of his basement. 

Thunderstorms notwithstanding, glitches will happen so it's cool to just roll with it and not worry too much.  Rolling with it is something for which Art has always had a particular gift.  I can't imagine how Dave would handle this, besides going to more commercials for 20 minutes.

Quote from: tularosa on July 20, 2015, 08:38:18 AM

I did not hear any of the commercials or bumper music on the archived show.  I wonder if anyone knows why I did not?

The archives will not have any commercials (good!) or bumper music (due to legalities.)

Lunger

I listened to Art's practice show last night and I was blown away by the quality of the sound.  Its better than radio or any other podcast on the air.  Crystal clear!

(redacted) is terrific.  I think she will be a real asset to the show.  I can't put my finger on it but she reminds me of Ramona quite a bit.  Is it just me?