• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

K_Dubb

Quote from: carpoolgänger on July 20, 2015, 08:45:06 AM
I honestly like the fact that the show isn't some polished corporate product.  It gives it a homebrew feel, like we're listening to some guy (that we've known for 20 years) broadcast out of his basement. 

Thunderstorms notwithstanding, glitches will happen so it's cool to just roll with it and not worry too much.  Rolling with it is something for which Art has always had a particular gift.  I can't imagine how Dave would handle this, besides going to more commercials for 20 minutes.

Yeah I enjoyed it immensely.  Polish is for corporate types; love it when Art lets us behind the scenes.  It can be dramatic and frustrating sometimes but it feels real because it is.

Mason

It amazes me how, even for a "test show", Art Bell brings more to the table then 90% of the talkers on radio! Glad to have him back! The sound quality kinda blew me away.... The satellite days really could not touch what he is doing now!

Quote from: nika01 on July 20, 2015, 07:23:07 AM
Perfect Possession....

REdacted, I think the idea of perfect possession is a little different than what you and Art discussed last night. If I recall correctly, the idea is that people that are perfectly possessed have no clue that they are affected, and neither do people that see them walking down the street. As I understand it, and I may be wrong, perfect possession occurs when one surrenders themselves to an activity to the point that they are driven solely by said activity. There is certainly a dark component to it , but not overtly so. The "activity" could be anything, but it qualifies as a possession because it cuts the connection between the affected person and real life. In other words, it limits the person to merely earthly things. I would have to re-listen to Father Martins' interview about this again to be sure, its been at least a decade, but it stuck with me, as it obviously did you.
Some might say that Art Bell fanatics are perfectly possessed :) Kidding, sort of...

I suggest you read Martin's classic book on exorcism, Hostage To The Devil.  Redacted and Art were exactly right. A perfectly possessed person is a person who gives himself/herself over completely to demonic influence.  They want the possession and are completely in accord with the demon.

Wilderness

Art sounded great overall, shame about the connection issues, otherwise the quality was great.  I thought Redacted did OK too.. for an occasional co-host I think she'll do just fine.

Looking forward to tonights show.  Hopefully no thunderstorms - too many connection issues regularly would surely affect his radio presence. 

This Test show had a different vibe to his XM gig.. for the better.

PathoJen

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 20, 2015, 10:29:35 AM
I suggest you read Martin's classic book on exorcism, Hostage To The Devil.  Redacted and Art were exactly right. A perfectly possessed person is a person who gives himself/herself over completely to demonic influence.  They want the possession and are completely in accord with the demon.
CORRECT!

PathoJen

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 04:15:54 AM
Don't worry, we will let a bit of time pass and try again, I think people thought you were going to be there every night, I should have explained it was for mainly open lines interaction, we will try again, as I said people hate change. You were just great and given time you would relax and be super.

Art
Spot on Art. We hate change.

PathoJen

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on July 20, 2015, 12:40:53 AM
The woman screaming bloody murder ad has got to go. Relaxing, fun Art Bell bumper music to that.

Maybe KARS4KIDS?
That was the worst! Lol. OMG.
And was there a ton of commercials, or am I imagining that?

Mastodonkey

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 03:48:45 AM
I thought she was great as well, people are strange, let a bit of time pass. I think they just hate change

Art

Have her co-host on the friday night open lines shows

phrodo

Quote from: Mastodonkey on July 20, 2015, 11:06:19 AM
Have her co-host on the friday night open lines shows

Now there's an original thought.  :o

BellBoy

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 04:15:54 AM
Don't worry, we will let a bit of time pass and try again, I think people thought you were going to be there every night, I should have explained it was for mainly open lines interaction, we will try again, as I said people hate change. You were just great and given time you would relax and be super.

Art

After listening (and re-listening) to the test show, I have to say that overall I loved it. The co-hosting bit with (redacted), however, left me with a distinct "NPR Vibe"... not exactly the deliciously taut sense of suspense and possible menace that I've enjoyed from you since I first found you while surfing "skip" back in 1988. Don't get me wrong, (redacted) has a lovely voice... just maybe not the voice for MITD... I guess we can all be thankful that Pete Schweddy didn't call in.

NPR's Delicious Dish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPpcfH_HHH8

boxman

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 02:13:13 AM
Ok, we learned a lot tonight, people do not want me to have a co-host, not Redacted's fault at all just people who don't like change. She really sounded awesome.

We also learned that massive Thunderstorms screw with Internet over the 9000 foot Mountain it comes over, sad thing is it might happen again tonight. Looking at options that might include a t1. Otherwise it was a blast. We will work out the kinks.

It was a test show.

Art
I personally saw only a few people complaining. I honestly do not think the majority felt that way.
Either way really good show besides those little technical issues at the end :)

paladin1991

Quote from: ItsOver on July 20, 2015, 01:06:36 AM
Yes, he's a pro.  I'm not surprised he didn't mention Art.  I also wouldn't be surprised if he was highly advised by the suits to dummy up.  Salute and carry on, unless you want to walk.
I don't think that The Knapster is afraid 'to walk.'  It's about being a professional.  I could be wrong because I don't walk in their shoes, but I think, that ART respects The Knapster for being a professional and carrying out the mission that he was paid for.
I could be wrong, I've never shared Scotch and looked into the eyes of either of these men. 

smithy

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 20, 2015, 09:06:02 AM
Yeah I enjoyed it immensely.  Polish is for corporate types; love it when Art lets us behind the scenes.  It can be dramatic and frustrating sometimes but it feels real because it is.

Agreed. Redacted was perfect, too. I like the way she uses a controlled laugh and deflects attention from herself and toward Art.

Also, I unplugged my cheesy insignia speakers from my computer as they sounded like crap. Put in my Sennheiser earbuds and WOW. The music was "Crystal" clear, out of the ballpark.

The connection loss problem will eventually get fixed. It kind of keeps the mind alert and focused whenever you miss some words and try to figure out what was said.        Tonight.... is it here yet?

chefist

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 20, 2015, 11:40:29 AM
I don't think that The Knapster is afraid 'to walk.'  It's about being a professional.  I could be wrong because I don't walk in their shoes, but I think, that ART respects The Knapster for being a professional and carrying out the mission that he was paid for.
I could be wrong, I've never shared Scotch and lovingly looked into the eyes of either of these men.
FIXED

PathoJen

Quote from: smithy on July 20, 2015, 11:45:19 AM
Agreed. Redacted was perfect, too. I like the way she uses a controlled laugh and deflects attention from herself and toward Art.

Also, I unplugged my cheesy insignia speakers from my computer as they sounded like crap. Put in my Sennheiser earbuds and WOW. The music was "Crystal" clear, out of the ballpark.

The connection loss problem will eventually get fixed. It kind of keeps the mind alert and focused whenever you miss some words and try to figure out what was said.        Tonight.... is it here yet?
RIGHT! Earbuds just made everything sound amazing! Even the "packets". Lol

paladin1991

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 20, 2015, 02:15:02 AM
KEEP REDACTED.
FUCKING A SKIPPY.  Who doesn't want Redacted on your show? Bunch of jealous fags pissing and whining into their Negroni's.  We, the Scotch drinkers, approve of your decision to do your show your way.  Fuck em, ART.  They don't want Redacted on a show, they should start their own show sans Redacted. 

Do your show.  Fuck the davebots and naysayers.  Did the US roll over when the Germans bombed Peal Harbor?  Hell no!  Did the french win at Agincourt?  Who the fuck cares?  The point is, you are doing your show, a show that we all want to hear, thank you for returning. 

I'm off now to enlist as a Fucking Time Traveler.  Looking around at the non Time Travelers, I can only say this, "It's a good thing that you weren't needed during the American Revolution.  We'd all still be drinking tea and speaking the Queen's English like a bunch of queens.  And probably size queens, at that."

EvB

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 20, 2015, 03:55:23 AM
What an honor beyond measure to be on the air with you, Art.  I do not want to be the source of problems... if removing me from the equation calms the waters, then so be it.  It's cool. This is a night I will never forget. Aside from internet connection problems, that was the most fun I have ever had.  Thank you for being so generous as to let me take a ride with you.

Hey Redacted - I'm with Art.  You DID FINE and would do even better in the future.  And, since when does this group need a REASON to be contentious? Yes, people are entitled to their opinions and should express them freely, but we often forget there is a human being on the other side of their tongue's rough edge.

gdwarner

Quote from: Skunk Ape on July 20, 2015, 08:00:49 AM
That's the #1 thing that needs resolution...

okay maybe #2 behind Art needing a non-thunderstorm bubble around the compound.

Interestingly, one of the things I mentioned in that article on hurricanes was the possibility of the Coast audience creating a "thoughtform" around a specific area where weather modification was needed. Let me see if I can find that part ... here we go:

"Thoughtforms 'r' Us"

A thoughtform can be thought of as the psychic equivalent of a plugin: A field of  psychic energy that does one thing and does it well. That "one thing" could be anything -- from protecting your car from theft to protecting a loved one from harm.

Author Charles Cosimano, in his book "Psionics 101" described a method of producing a basic thoughtform to help you get a job. Mr. Cosimano's method consisted of visualizing a ball of energy (think "orb") hovering above the prospective employer's office the day (or earlier, if you like) before the interview. This energy ball's mission: Beam positive suggestions to your prospective employer about you -- such as, "Wow, that (Your Name) would make an excellent employee," "Wow, that Your Name sure was nice. S/he'd make a great addition to our company," etc.

... While the idea of a planet-wide thoughtform may not be exactly feasible, I suspect the mass subconscious of the Coast audience is doing just that, which may explain why some of the more dire predictions made by guests do not happen exactly as the guest predicts, if at all.

And then there's Art Bell's worry: the "fine print" problem. For those unfamiliar with this concept, this is why Art discontinued his experiments in this area: He was worried about unforeseen consequences ... where he'd ask for rain in a certain part of the world and deprive another part of much needed water.

P. E. I. Bonewits, author of the book, Real Magic has a theory about unforeseen consequences and acts of magic. He calls it "The Law of Perversity."

In his book Authentic Thaumaturgy, he wrote: "Magical associations sometime operate in the reverse of what was wanted; meaningful coincidences are just as likely to be unpleasant as they are to be helpful (especially if a lot of emotion goes into the related situations). Even if 'nothing can possibly go wrong,' some element of the universe may change so that things will go wrong anyway."

He continues, "This law is probably based on the use of countermagic by one's own subconscious mind, for whatever devious or even neurotic reasons it may have. My guess is that it also ties in with the Anti-Psi talents. This Law explains why some people's magic seem to work backwards."

So is Art right about those "unforeseen consequences?" Probably. All the more reasons to specify what you want to have happen -- or as Dr. Evelyn Paglini says, " You have to bind down what you don't want."

Well. There you go ...

By the way, that's from the September 2005 issue of "After Dark."

boxman

Quote from: slippingaway on July 20, 2015, 06:22:19 AM
Indeed the show was amazing, even with the technical glitches. Art: the bandwidth of t1 is not so much, but ordering a traditional t1 line is super expensive. Perhaps another provider like centurylunk or Newwave could serve as back up. http://www.newwavecom.com/ is what I've found. A fresh cut if coax to your studio, and a router with fail-over and load balancing would solve a headache or 2, including headaches not yet had.
What matters is reliability and not the bandwidth. t1 is more than fast enough for what he will be using that line for.
If he used a dedicated line just for uplink of the show itself then even a dual isdn would be enough with that.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on July 20, 2015, 02:44:26 AM

There has never been any official discussion of (Redacted) being a mainstay co-host. In fact, Art posted bluntly, "(Redacted) will not be a co-host."

So of course there are dozens of hundreds of messages about how she shouldn't be a co-host. I hope these people all get ass cancer in their taints, and I hope it hurts.

Well, that's a bit harsh, isn't it?  And I was afraid that we would all have to drink Negronis because some of us were butthurt that ART wanted to do His show His way.

Ass Cancer, that's a bitch, Jacky.

paladin1991

Quote from: tularosa on July 20, 2015, 02:58:41 AM
is the test show archived anywhere?  I was not able to listen live.

Thanks

Need to enlist as a Time Traveler.

paladin1991

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 20, 2015, 03:02:32 AM
I am just happy Art is back.
Me too, babe.  Me too. 

BTW, you do sound great.  I think that with time you and ART could do a very cool and smooth back and forth.  Just gotta learn each other.  You know, second date kind of stuff.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on July 20, 2015, 04:40:47 AM
I only want to listen to (Redacted) talk to strangers. Her and Art alone is too intimate.

... what, just me? No way.
Okay, since we're 'fessin up.'  I want her to talk to me.

ItsOver

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 20, 2015, 11:40:29 AM
I could be wrong, I've never shared Scotch and looked into the eyes of either of these men.
I don't think Knapp would be afraid to walk, if it came down to it, either.  I also think he's smart enough to pick his battles carefully.  I'm sure he wishes Art the best with MITD, whatever PremRad is up to. 

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on July 20, 2015, 04:59:23 AM
Explaining to the hoi polloi is a sucker's game. They never stop with their plaintive mewling and whining.

Yeah, screw the french.  They haven't been relevant since Nappy got chased to Elba.

nika01

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 20, 2015, 10:29:35 AM
Sure, but it goes much deeper than that. The distinction pivots on what you call "demonic", which is where I think you and Art and Redacted are missing part of the point. Demonic possession can take the form of a businessman that really has lost his soul to his job. In its train, his interactions become cold, materialistic, and cut off from the light. Wish Father Martin was around to clarify this. I am almost sure he made this point in an interview with Art. I have not read his book, so I cant comment.

paladin1991

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 20, 2015, 06:01:44 AM
Show already was up on all the pirate networks within a hour of Art going off the air.

Really?  Which one is yours?

K_Dubb

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 20, 2015, 12:12:20 PM
Well, that's a bit harsh, isn't it?  And I was afraid that we would all have to drink Negronis because some of us were butthurt that ART wanted to do His show His way.

I'm confused; are negronis a bad thing?  Whatever excuse I need.

paladin1991

Quote from: chefist on July 20, 2015, 11:48:04 AM
FIXED

Oh you.  It was just one dinner at Lawry's and you can't let it go.  I know, bro.  I felt it, too.

https://youtu.be/jwlYo8EYTWI

chefist

Quote from: Art Bell on July 20, 2015, 03:48:45 AM
I thought she was great as well, people are strange, let a bit of time pass. I think they just hate change

Art
This is absolutely correct!