• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art's Show via RSS (i.e. Dogg Catcher, Beyond Pod, Downcast, etc)

Started by JokerFace, June 25, 2015, 09:20:52 AM

JokerFace

I recently emailed back and forth with Keith. At the moment, it doesn't sound like the Midnight in the Desert podcast will be available via RSS (for those with Android or iPhone devices that wish to play the show via apps like DoggCatcher, BeyondPod, Downcast, etc.).

I politely explained to Keith that such apps do allow for a secured RSS feed to be accessible via the assigned username and password issued by DarkMatterDigitalNetwork.com (case in point, Bryan Alverez's WrestlingObserver.com allows this).

If listening to Art's show via RSS is important to you, you may wish to email Keith and let him know. The more people that contact him, the more incentive it hopefully gives him to consider this route (not sure how well the Dark Matter website will play podcasts on mobile devices -- it might vary by OS and browser).

Wintermute

Just a question... what is keeping anyone from just recording the show and setting up an RSS feed off of Mega?

Nothing.

Bryan's site also has the convenience of signing up via paypal or through direct payment to the website. Info in which I'm sure he's willing to share with Keith, since they both work together and Bryan's love of Art Bell.

I like Keith but it's head scratching why he's fighting technology, when he's a tech guy.

DynamoHum

Long time lurker, new poster here. I've signed up, and listen to most of my stuff via TuneIn or post airing via Stitcher via Sonos. I've emailed Keith to ask about Stitcher (Premiere are set up and feed into this with usernamne and password etc), but Keith isn't supporting this.

I'll have to play around with the custom url facility which you can use on the Sonos controller on a desktop, and will report back. I do think that feeding it through Stitcher would increase audience though!

metalgeek

What's Keith's email address? I'd like to get this going as well, because otherwise it's a deal-breaker for me (and I'm sure a lot of people as well.) No RSS, no membership.

you can try this, he's replied to me before using this email

darkmatter@rowlandnet.com

DynamoHum

The current archive set up won't allow streaming via Sonos, even using the facility the desktop controller software uses to deal with custom stream urls. Next step is to download to my music storage drive and see if the Sonos software likes that format.

It is a bit of a faff though. A secure Stitcher feed would work so well, and I am sure it would get extra listeners!

I do not begrudge the £3 a month subscription, but I was hoping for much more flexible archive listening. 

I can only listen through a tin can. I emailed Keith and asked him to run string from Nevada to Texas but he never replied. Everyone who has a tin can should email Keith and ask him politely to run string to their neighborhood.

The General

A podcast needs an RSS feed.  For cryin out loud. Even a subscriber podcast needs an RSS feed.

But look at that website, and I don't mean to harsh Keith or anything, but all it needs is some starry backgrounds and rotating gifs and a never ending scroll to be a classic Art Bell guest website of the 90's.  I had to poke around the site for a full half hour to even find the podcast.  Maybe they can bring in somebody that doesn't remember the 90's because they weren't born yet so they can fix that mess.

Quote from: The General on July 21, 2015, 04:31:41 PM
A podcast needs an RSS feed.  For cryin out loud. Even a subscriber podcast needs an RSS feed.

But look at that website, and I don't mean to harsh Keith or anything, but all it needs is some starry backgrounds and rotating gifs and a never ending scroll to be a classic Art Bell guest website of the 90's.  I had to poke around the site for a full half hour to even find the podcast.  Maybe they can bring in somebody that doesn't remember the 90's because they weren't born yet so they can fix that mess.

Well the 90's weren't so bad.. at least most websites worked without downloading 5000 plugins and updates.  Like those godawful Wordpress sites... yikes.

dan7800

All, I totally agree that an automatic download option is needed. However, remember the show is JUST starting. I am sure Keith has 100 other more pressing things to be worrying about. Let's not make a big deal of this just yet and let things settle down. I am sure Keith is under enough pressure as it is.

Quote from: dan7800 on July 22, 2015, 05:30:19 AM
All, I totally agree that an automatic download option is needed. However, remember the show is JUST starting. I am sure Keith has 100 other more pressing things to be worrying about. Let's not make a big deal of this just yet and let things settle down. I am sure Keith is under enough pressure as it is.

Quote from: MaxGravy on July 21, 2015, 04:20:40 PM
I can only listen through a tin can. I emailed Keith and asked him to run string from Nevada to Texas but he never replied. Everyone who has a tin can should email Keith and ask him politely to run string to their neighborhood.

To save Keith time he could use trained carrier pigeons to run those strings.

Quote from: MaxGravy on July 21, 2015, 04:20:40 PM

I think that's what AT&T runs on these days.  ;D

HLX

I've emailed Keith, gave him all of the info to do this but he doesn't seem too keen on it. Here's how I handle it via iPhone:
I use the App PhoneDrive's browser to navigate to the downloads page
From there I copy the old school "right click to save" link by pressing the link and holding until copy pops up
After that I open the phone drive browser's downloads link and manually add the link to download the file to the apps storage.
Then I close the browser and open phone drive's downloads folder
I swipe to edit the file and change the extension on the end of the file to .mp3
Once the file shows as MP3, I select the file, perform an "open in" and open with RSS Radio
From there you can assign it to a podcast folder and play on your phone

It's a horrible inconvenience and takes trial and error but it works

Squirrel

RSS feed for Time Travellers!  I vote Yes!  Yes please! 

I concur with those that have an iOS device (iphone, ipod, ipad) or other smartphone that rely on an RSS feed to automatically update the podcast for time travellers rather than doing, "right click, save as, change to podcast, delete old podcast, repeat."

The C2C feed works that way but I don't want the C2C feed :-)

I vote for the RSS feed for Time Travellers.

Thanks!

Kolchak

I mentioned this when I called into the Gabcast a while back.

The one subscription podcast I subscribe to uses Nanacast. They give everyone a password protected RSS, handle billing and, according to their home page, offer anti-piracy controls.

I'd assume Keith is looking into this sort of thing. He has a lot on his shoulders right now.

b_dubb

Quote from: Squirrel on July 27, 2015, 05:21:11 PM
RSS feed for Time Travellers!  I vote Yes!  Yes please! 

I concur with those that have an iOS device (iphone, ipod, ipad) or other smartphone that rely on an RSS feed to automatically update the podcast for time travellers rather than doing, "right click, save as, change to podcast, delete old podcast, repeat."

The C2C feed works that way but I don't want the C2C feed :-)

I vote for the RSS feed for Time Travellers.

Thanks!
I could've sworn this was something that Art said the site would have.  Was I hallucinating?

MV/Liberace!

Almost two weeks into Art's new show and no RSS feed for subscribers. It is a pain in the goddamn ass to listen to this show if you don't hear it live, and that shouldn't be the case for someone who is actually paying to listen.  It is 2015.  Every podcast has an RSS feed.  If you don't have an RSS feed, then you don't have a podcast.  You're just pasting links to audio files on a page and password protecting it.  The current setup is, frankly, dog shit. 

Keith, I hope you're reading this.  I'd email you directly about the matter, but I find it impossible to believe you haven't already fielded zillions of similar complaints via email so I don't want to pile on.  It's just that it seems RSS should have been such a fundamental part of the rollout. 

I get it.  Keith is busy.  He has a lot on his plate.  Totally understood.  However, getting the show to the listener is paramount.  Nothing is more important than that.

stevenotero

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2015, 03:46:30 PM
Almost two weeks into Art's new show and no RSS feed for subscribers. It is a pain in the goddamn ass to listen to this show if you don't hear it live, and that shouldn't be the case for someone who is actually paying to listen.  It is 2015.  Every podcast has an RSS feed.  If you don't have an RSS feed, then you don't have a podcast.  You're just pasting links to audio files on a page and password protecting it.  The current setup is, frankly, dog shit. 

Keith, I hope you're reading this.  I'd email you directly about the matter, but I find it impossible to believe you haven't already fielded zillions of similar complaints via email so I don't want to pile on.  It's just that it seems RSS should have been such a fundamental part of the rollout. 

I get it.  Keith is busy.  He has a lot on his plate.  Totally understood.  However, getting the show to the listener is paramount.  Nothing is more important than that.
Well said man, this is exactly how I feel.

The fact that I have to create a virtual feed in Doggcatcher is such a pain in the ass. RSS feeds w/ a login requirements have been around, this isn't new technology that is hard to implement.

williedee

If you don't have an RSS feed, then you don't have a podcast.  You're just pasting links to audio files on a page and password protecting it.  The current setup is, frankly, dog shit.

This right here. They should be pushing the podcast like mad, that's how you really get big. But it isn't even a podcast right now haha.

albrecht

Quote from: williedee on July 30, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
This right here. They should be pushing the podcast like mad, that's how you really get big. But it isn't even a podcast right now haha.
I'm a luddite on this stuff and don't want anything "automatically" downloaded to my devices and like "right-click" and manual options or using software to record via my own control but I agree with you here. Many, or most, people, especially younger people, want automatic, easy, no-fuss. There needs to be a way for "time travelers" to get the podcast automatically into their machine. Kids, and many others,  these days don't want to mess around, find a work-around, or figure out how things works but want it instantly "there." This can only help grow the show by making it easier and seamless. And shouldn't be too hard (many others, even some local "shock jocks" here do this for paying customers.)

ChairSpud

I agree with a lot that's been said here and feel that many time travelers with only iphones, iPads and iPods will give up their subscription after facing the convoluted workarounds required to get the shows downloaded to their devices.

We were told many times that subscribers would be able to download the shows to our devices and Art has mentioned on several occasions the superiority of Apple ios devices over Android. Well under the present situation they seem pretty stupid and klunky, that' why I'm using an Android tablet to download shows.

I sure hope Keith can get some kind of podcast setup, I'd love to listen via Stitcher.

Maybe you and Curtis should offer to help? I believe Curtis has a background in this sort of thing?

Kolchak

As I explained in the art thread, I listen at work in the morning and have an iPhone. Since there is no Rss, I've just been streaming each hour in safari. The problem is that it signs me out after each hour finishes playing and today, after finishing hour 2 (of a great guest) I was signed out and found my account was locked when I tried to log back in. It still hasn't been unlocked. Fantastic.

ge30542

Would someone educate me as to what is rss, and why it is necessary?
I listen to archives at the web sight, is there an easier way?

Catsmile

Quote from: ge30542 on July 31, 2015, 12:10:56 PM
Would someone educate me as to what is rss, and why it is necessary?
I listen to archives at the web sight, is there an easier way?

Yes, there is an easier way it's called RSS.
However that isn't in use on MitD podcast.
RSS is THE long standing standard for delivering podcast to devices.
Thatz what all the chatter is about in this thread.

What RSS is/does: http://bfy.tw/15bm

Catsmile

Quote from: Kolchak on July 31, 2015, 11:13:15 AM
As I explained in the art thread, I listen at work in the morning and have an iPhone. Since there is no Rss, I've just been streaming each hour in safari. The problem is that it signs me out after each hour finishes playing and today, after finishing hour 2 (of a great guest) I was signed out and found my account was locked when I tried to log back in. It still hasn't been unlocked. Fantastic.

It's almost like they want people going over to the dark side.

Kolchak

Quote from: Catsmile on July 31, 2015, 01:11:12 PM
It's almost like they want people going over to the dark side.

Emailed Keith. Awaiting response. It's weird not even being able to access something I'm paying for.