• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art's Show via RSS (i.e. Dogg Catcher, Beyond Pod, Downcast, etc)

Started by JokerFace, June 25, 2015, 09:20:52 AM

rarlsatan

Quote from: sbaustin on August 10, 2015, 04:32:17 PM
New update.  The old encrypted url method has been removed.  My old domain will be taken down today, so please use the official RSS feed going forward:

http://rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd
http://rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/osom

On a separate topic, if your podcast app does NOT work with authentication (beyondpod v3 or pocketcast), try it with the following structure:

http://my@email.com:password@rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd

Let me know if you have any questions.

Can't seem to get this to work in the app Overcast. I've used this same method with a few other password protected podcasts, so perhaps the URL needs to be formatted differently? I've tried a few other formats without success.

sbaustin

Quote from: rarlsatan on August 11, 2015, 12:56:26 PM
Can't seem to get this to work in the app Overcast. I've used this same method with a few other password protected podcasts, so perhaps the URL needs to be formatted differently? I've tried a few other formats without success.

I haven't had time to see exactly how these credentials are being encoded in a couple different apps.  If you can see my prior post it has a couple alternate ways you can use that should work fine.  Mainly just replace the @ in your email with __ (two underscores).

digirato

I just pasted the new RSS feed URL into iTunes on my Windows laptop and it works like a charm! Thank you Keith and sbaustin!

No more opening 3 separate segments, saving each one, then copying them from File Explorer into iTunes. This is a great step forward.

Sabu2K

Quote from: sbaustin on August 11, 2015, 12:51:44 PM
Ok, I just pushed a fix for those other podcast programs that were having issues.

You can try the following:

* http://rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd   if your app allows or supports login
* http://email@domain.com:password@rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd   
* http://email__domain.com:password@rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd   

In the event your domain or email contains two underscores, use this last version:

* http://email___domain.com:password@rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd   

If your domain or email contains three underscores I think you might be screwed.

It worked. Thank you very much.

Edited: i have them on podcast addict but when i try to dl or stream them it says"loading from dark matter" and it just keeps on loading..been 15 mins so far..hmmmm

Dr.Fate

I use DoggCatcher for my subscribed podcasts. I'm getting a 400 error on the MITD feed. Anyone else having trouble with the MITD rss in DoggCatcher?

sbaustin

Quote from: Dr.Fate on August 11, 2015, 08:34:36 PM
I use DoggCatcher for my subscribed podcasts. I'm getting a 400 error on the MITD feed. Anyone else having trouble with the MITD rss in DoggCatcher?

There have been some reports of issues with downloading some podcasts.  Did you just add the podcast feed?  I'd like to know if the list of episodes is updating but you can't download some or all of them to help identify the issue.

Dr.Fate

Quote from: sbaustin on August 11, 2015, 08:36:23 PM
There have been some reports of issues with downloading some podcasts.  Did you just add the podcast feed?  I'd like to know if the list of episodes is updating but you can't download some or all of them to help identify the issue.

I get the list of all shows ,including last night's. The attempts to download the show's audio fail.
Eg: Event: Download failure -Art Bell - Aug 10,2015: Joe McMoneagle

Detail: java.io.IOException: HTTP error received from server, response code:400

I added my user id and pw. But the above is the error messaging. Any ideas, please?

sbaustin

Quote from: Dr.Fate on August 11, 2015, 09:04:14 PM
I get the list of all shows ,including last night's. The attempts to download the show's audio fail.
Eg: Event: Download failure -Art Bell - Aug 10,2015: Joe McMoneagle

Detail: java.io.IOException: HTTP error received from server, response code:400

I added my user id and pw. But the above is the error messaging. Any ideas, please?

Thank you.

The RSS feed is working but that is just semantics.  The issue is that podcast app is having problems downloading the mp3's urls due to some encoding issues.  I am working with Keith and investigating it so hopefully I can get a solution soon.

Dr.Fate

Quote from: sbaustin on August 11, 2015, 09:10:23 PM
Thank you.

The RSS feed is working but that is just semantics.  The issue is that podcast app is having problems downloading the mp3's urls due to some encoding issues.  I am working with Keith and investigating it so hopefully I can get a solution soon.

Awesome, thank you for your efforts.

PS If I hit the report to moderator link it was accidental. My thumbs are finding it tight to work this BB on my Galaxy S5's Chrome browser. My pc has suffered badly from the Windows10 update. But that is a tale for another thread. ^^

sbaustin

Quote from: Dr.Fate on August 11, 2015, 09:20:58 PM
Awesome, thank you for your efforts.

PS If I hit the report to moderator link it was accidental. My thumbs are finding it tight to work this BB on my Galaxy S5's Chrome browser. My pc has suffered badly from the Windows10 update. But that is a tale for another thread. ^^

I thought you were pissed the feed wasn't working for you!

Dr.Fate

Quote from: sbaustin on August 11, 2015, 09:31:03 PM
I thought you were pissed the feed wasn't working for you!

OMgosh, I'm glad I added that ps just in case I had. I am nothing but grateful for your efforts!^^

Podcast Addict was working for me the last 2 days (using the form http://name@email.com:password@rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd), but it gives a 403 server error when I try to download episodes now. It doesn't complain when I update the feed. Sounds like it doesn't update the download link and it expires?

zeebo

Anyone know an rss/podcast plugin that works for Foobar2000 on windows?  Supposedly there's some component called Podcatcher but every download link to it seems obsolete.

When I updated the feed on Podcast Addict I was able to download the new episode, but the older episodes still give the 403 error. So, for now, I'll just set it to automatically download the latest episode as soon as it pops up (before the link expires).

sbaustin, I guess you understand what's happening and are working on it. I just wanted to post this so others know to download episodes as soon as they are available.

sbaustin

Quote from: WavelengthZero on August 12, 2015, 04:03:13 AM
When I updated the feed on Podcast Addict I was able to download the new episode, but the older episodes still give the 403 error. So, for now, I'll just set it to automatically download the latest episode as soon as it pops up (before the link expires).

sbaustin, I guess you understand what's happening and are working on it. I just wanted to post this so others know to download episodes as soon as they are available.

Thanks for your feedback. I am going to test a few changes out this week. Thank you for your patience.

griffen247

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2015, 03:46:30 PM
Almost two weeks into Art's new show and no RSS feed for subscribers. It is a pain in the goddamn ass to listen to this show if you don't hear it live, and that shouldn't be the case for someone who is actually paying to listen. 

Dude.... you're a paid subscriber, and absent the RSS feed, logging in to the archive and downloading the show was a pain in the goddamn ass?

When you hear a baby crying, do you punch it into paralysis also?  Because it sounds like your tolerance level for what is pain in ass, would suggest you just might...

Seriously though, give them a break it's week 3..... be thankful they're back which you no doubt are by subscribing..... and to any Bellgabbers who post the archives should also be free, shame on you if you complain about anything.....

wr250

Quote from: griffen247 on August 12, 2015, 07:02:48 AM
Dude.... you're a paid subscriber, and absent the RSS feed, logging in to the archive and downloading the show was a pain in the goddamn ass?

When you hear a baby crying, do you punch it into paralysis also?  Because it sounds like your tolerance level for what is pain in ass, would suggest you just might...

Seriously though, give them a break it's week 3..... be thankful they're back which you no doubt are by subscribing..... and to any Bellgabbers who post the archives should also be free, shame on you if you complain about anything.....
MV already apologized for this. let it go.

Bart Ell

Quote from: WavelengthZero on August 11, 2015, 09:52:01 PM
Podcast Addict was working for me the last 2 days (using the form http://name@email.com:password@rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd), but it gives a 403 server error when I try to download episodes now. It doesn't complain when I update the feed. Sounds like it doesn't update the download link and it expires?

Same issue on Podcast Republic and BeyondPod.  Podkicker Pro doesn't seem to update the feed at all. Not a complaint, just putting it out there.

sbaustin

Quote from: Bart Ell on August 12, 2015, 09:03:19 AM
Same issue on Podcast Republic and BeyondPod.  Podkicker Pro doesn't seem to update the feed at all. Not a complaint, just putting it out there.

I appreciate the feedback.. Now that more people are using it, we are seeing  more issues!   I am working on addressing some of them, but these damn encoding problems honestly aren't fun.

sbaustin

I contacted BeyondPod.  The latest version listed in the app store has a bug in it.  It is version 4.1.44.  Their beta version 4.1.47 which hopefully is their next release addresses the issues they were having.  If you google beyondpod beta you can download it.  It was bad timing as beyond pod was the app I've been using on my android device and then all of a sudden it stopped working for me as well driving me crazy. 

Bart Ell

Quote from: sbaustin on August 12, 2015, 11:02:01 AM
I contacted BeyondPod.  The latest version listed in the app store has a bug in it.  It is version 4.1.44.  Their beta version 4.1.47 which hopefully is their next release addresses the issues they were having.  If you google beyondpod beta you can download it.  It was bad timing as beyond pod was the app I've been using on my android device and then all of a sudden it stopped working for me as well driving me crazy.

Same problem.
"Some episodes failed to download" when trying to download
"Playback error" when trying to stream

sbaustin

Quote from: Bart Ell on August 12, 2015, 11:17:25 AM
Same problem.
"Some episodes failed to download" when trying to download
"Playback error" when trying to stream

Which version?  Settings about beyond pod will have it.

sbaustin

Quote from: Bart Ell on August 12, 2015, 11:31:55 AM
I am testing against a test server. I will push it live and see if it addresses your issue.

bielek

For those of us technologically proficient enough to manage an Android device, I will tell you how to make the new RSS feed option function on any of your preferred podcast apps. Keith Rowland went on the air to explain how to effectively use your phone or tablet to "subscribe" to MITD so that your podcast app will simply download the shows and serve them to you as you like. Of course, this is only for Time Travelers, so if you really like the idea of having MITD on your phone or tablet without having to go through the website, they pony up the small $$ and become a TT.

I was surprised that Keith didn't know this just like I'm surprised at the overall look and feel of the MITD website, but I suppose he's been really busy. Anyway, if you are a TT and have your user and password you can subscribe to the RSS feed on your favorite podcast app fairly easily. I use Podcast Addict.

1. Login to the MITD time traveler site. Go to the Archive. Look for the RSS link(currently at the top of the page) and copy it.

2. Go to your device and open your podcast app.

3. Go wherever you need to go to add an new podcast. On Podcast Addict there is an option to add an "RSS feed, YouTube channel, Soundcloud url". Paste the RSS link into field.

Ex: http://rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd/

4. Modify the rss url as follows.

Ex: http://userid:password@rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd/

(Obviously the userid and password above are to be replaced with your information. Again you must be a Time Traveler.)

5. Hit "ADD" or "OK" or whatever your podcast app uses for acknowledgement that you are finished inputting the RSS feed info.

6. Enjoy the show whenever, where ever you want/

bielek

Things and such. Hmm...

Anyway, I too used the http://userid:password@rss.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/mitd/ to add an RSS in Podcast Addict with no problems yet.

sbaustin

Quote from: Bart Ell on August 12, 2015, 12:47:52 PM
No need for the sexy talk.
No rush here.
Kisses.

It was a long test. 

So, if you delete it, clear the beyond pod cache and add it back does it work?

Dr.Fate

Thank you sbaustin for your continuing efforts. Is there anything that we can do from our end as users to help?

sbaustin

Quote from: Dr.Fate on August 12, 2015, 12:58:26 PM
Thank you sbaustin for your continuing efforts. Is there anything that we can do from our end as users to help?

Send me a million bucks?  Kidding..  Thanks for the great comments, maybe let Art and Co. know your appreciation too and help me test!!