• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Meanandnasty

Wake up MR. BELL!  Quit throwing tantrums, it is unbecoming of a gentleman of your age and stature.  Pick the microphone up tomorrow night and conduct negotiations BEHIND the scenes without the drama. 

My suggestion for a guest:  How to negotiate and get what you want on a radio program, seriously.

Reactive Facebook, tell Mr. Noory to go cook, and get back to your heavenly talent. Two year on a non-compete is two years two long.  If you need further advise, post.

EarthAlien007

Quote from: TumbleWeed on November 04, 2013, 10:45:50 PM
Wow, nearly 1000 people on here tonight.

Art quitting is more popular than arts first show.....
I think all the plugs for Bellgab on DM helped.

beckettm

Is Art Bell going to continue his show in another venue?  Either via his website or terrestrial radio?  I hope he does because I can barely listen to George Noory and John B. Wells on Coast to Coast.  aLL John B. Wells talks about are government conspiracies while spewing right-wing propaganda on his own and via his guests.  He sounds like a Texas dweeb, and actually used the words "I reckin" in a sentence the other night.  Who talks like that?  George Noory is a simplistic bore.  Art Bell definitely has a fan base.  I HOPE HE CONTINUE HIS RADIO SHOW IN ANOTHER VENUE!

Quote from: lonevoice on November 04, 2013, 10:54:34 PM
Gawd, I hope he doesn't.  If I approve of nothing else about how this dispute with SiriusXM has been handled, I do approve of Art's decision to deactivate his facebook page, and, hopefully to stay clear of "fan" forums for awhile.  I've read numerous comments on this thread repeating the vile accusations about Ramona's passing, repeating the tired-out crap about Airyn's age, about Art's relationship with his kids, and more "fuck you, I hate you, you bastard!" than can be accounted for by anger and/or disappointment from fans about Dark Matter going dark.  I'd note that much (not all, but much) of it is coming from people who have rarely posted here before, and people who have registered a vocal dislike of everything Art's done for the past several months, including dissatisfaction with Dark Matter while we had it. 

Combine angry fans, PremRat trolls, Gnoory trolls, Clear Channel trolls, and SiriusXM trolls with a number of other sorts who have carried a seething dislike of Art Bell for too many years to be healthy for anyone, and this forum looks pretty nutty tonight.
AGREED!!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: toastycoasty on November 04, 2013, 10:54:34 PM
To be fair, it wasn't a very good album.

It sure got "good" after December 8, 1980 though... ::)

popple

Can you still get canceled if you have a two year NC? His entire contact was 3 years, right?

I really hope this isn't Art leaving because he thinks he's going to get canceled (fucking jaz calling in every night making it look like he had 5 listeners lol jk) and doesn't want to look like he failed. It seems pretty unfair that we all have to go without DM because sometimes the stream drops for some people. All it ever took for me to fix was pushing the pause and play button.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: ItsOver on November 04, 2013, 10:57:12 PM
Hey, Roy.  Well I guess it's back to Dave Noorie hell.

Yep... Prime Rib for a short while, now back to left-overs.

Quote from: beckettm on November 04, 2013, 10:58:25 PM
Is Art Bell going to continue his show in another venue?  Either via his website or terrestrial radio?  I hope he does because I can barely listen to George Noory and John B. Wells on Coast to Coast.  aLL John B. Wells talks about are government conspiracies while spewing right-wing propaganda on his own and via his guests.  He sounds like a Texas dweeb, and actually used the words "I reckin" in a sentence the other night.  Who talks like that?  George Noory is a simplistic bore.  Art Bell definitely has a fan base.  I HOPE HE CONTINUE HIS RADIO SHOW IN ANOTHER VENUE!

Whatever fanbase Art had before tonight is gone.  He's dead to me, at least.

SgtRocko

Tail between legs, re-subscribed to the C2C newsletter.  Also, since XM doesn't carry C2C anymore, logged into Iheartradio to get a local stream.  Took 10 minutes to boot up, and got dropped twice.

This will be fun LOL

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: EarthAlien007 on November 04, 2013, 10:40:11 PM
Their streaming sucks!

Not for us. We've used the iPhone app from Day 1 with barely a blip.

tprainbow

Quote from: lonevoice on November 04, 2013, 10:54:34 PM
Gawd, I hope he doesn't.  If I approve of nothing else about how this dispute with SiriusXM has been handled, I do approve of Art's decision to deactivate his facebook page, and, hopefully to stay clear of "fan" forums for awhile.  I've read numerous comments on this thread repeating the vile accusations about Ramona's passing, repeating the tired-out crap about Airyn's age, about Art's relationship with his kids, and more "fuck you, I hate you, you bastard!" than can be accounted for by anger and/or disappointment from fans about Dark Matter going dark.  I'd note that much (not all, but much) of it is coming from people who have rarely posted here before, and people who have registered a vocal dislike of everything Art's done for the past several months, including dissatisfaction with Dark Matter while we had it. 

Combine angry fans, PremRat trolls, Gnoory trolls, Clear Channel trolls, and SiriusXM trolls with a number of other sorts who have carried a seething dislike of Art Bell for too many years to be healthy for anyone, and this forum looks pretty nutty tonight.

Poor, unfortunate, flaky radio-celebrity/hall of famer with a 1000 people logged into a b-forum flooding in to show their unconditional support by calling him on his bullshit. I don't buy it. A lot of us old fogies can't believe this shit is happening again, mainly because we should have expected it.  Be a man Art! Show up to work tomorrow.

I got a kick out of one of the Art Bell subreddit logos

popple

Paranormal Radio Host Art Bell Mysteriously Disappears From SiriusXM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/04/art-bell-resigns-from-sirius-xm-radio_n_4215776.html

NSFL WARNING: There is a picture of Gnoory's mug in the article.

To restate Art has a no compete with Sirius, there will be no other show.

Art needs to come to a compromise with Sirius, they appear to be pretty honest brokers in this, even if they do have short comings (which existed prior to and after Art signing his contract).
There has to be some sort of middle ground. Maybe he can do three hour shows with no final hour for call ins, do less days a week, have streaming on his website but Sirius can charge for it, etc. There is room for negotiation.

Whats lame is signing a contract, being upset about conditions that existed prior to the show, not even allowing time to negotiate with Sirius, now adjusting the show to deal with the limited caller base, etc. Instead he just up and quits. That would be fine but Art shouldn't have bit off more than he could chew with the 4 days a night, and also gotten listeners to sign up for sirius.

popple

Quote from: NefariousBanana on November 04, 2013, 11:03:50 PM
I got a kick out of one of the Art Bell subreddit logos

Really? How did you manage that?

Heather Wade

Agreed.  Personal attacks are not cool, and accomplish nothing.

Art gave the announcement Thursday night.  That means he spent all weekend with this on his mind.  Give or take a week.
I'm sure he knew we'd be pissed, disappointed and let down.  I don't blame him for insulating himself against the onslaught.

But I worry about him.  Who does he bounce his ideas off of, and can they talk some sense into him???  Kieth?  Producer Paul?  Smoke a j with the man, and get him back on the air!!!  Come on guys, the Dark Matter team can do better than this.  Everyone makes mistakes, ok, none of us are perfect.  It's OK Art, just get thee to thine most Holy microphone of Antioch, and bring forth the awesome once more to the Kingdom. 

I never had a problem with the Sirius stream being unreliable.  The host of Dark Matter, however, is another issue entirely...

EarthAlien007

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 04, 2013, 10:51:50 PM
However I still feel the urge to say and feel it is deserved to say "Fuck you Art!" for handling your business in this way that lacks integrity, compassion and respect for your most loyal listeners.
You would prefer a radio host say, " I know their streaming sucks, but fuck you. Deal with it."
No, Art wanted a quality streaming show for all his fans, and Sirius couldn't do that. That was the issue, "fix the streaming". It was NO demand. He asked them to fix it and offered to help even.

UrbanFool

Quote from: TumbleWeed on November 04, 2013, 10:45:50 PM
Wow, nearly 1000 people on here tonight.

Art quitting is more popular than arts first show.....

That's because we were spending at least SOME time listening to the show. Tonight? Not so much.

I'm still debating on cancelling my Sirius subscription now, or waiting a bit just to see what's going to happen.

dortmunder

Well, I was hoping this shitty news wouldn't set the tone for the rest of the week and I guess it hasn't. I just scored a writing gig.  :D Won't pay too much but at least it'll make up for paying a month-and-a-half's worth of Sirius. And it will give me something to take my mind off of worrying about Art Bell. And, God, I do need the money. Hope you all get some good news too this week.

SciFiAuthor

I'll hold out hope that in the next day or two they'll announce that they came to a deal, but the way this went down was remarkably disappointing.

I guess I'll have to go back and start defending Noory again. That's about as appealing as flavored butter, but shit, I've got nothing else left.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: popple on November 04, 2013, 11:04:10 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/04/art-bell-resigns-from-sirius-xm-radio_n_4215776.html

It is not a good night.

Noory did something right. No comment. That is exactly what he should continue to say.

popple

Quote from: NefariousBanana on November 04, 2013, 11:00:02 PM
Whatever fanbase Art had before tonight is gone.  He's dead to me, at least.

You keep saying this.

bateman

QuotePlus, an unnamed source scheduled for an appearance on Bell's show received an email from someone in Bell's camp, which stated: "I regret to inform you (and all upcoming guests) that "Art Bell's Dark Matter" program will no longer be airing live shows effective immediately. I'm really thankful for your efforts with regards to being on the program and I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

"Should events change in the future, I'll be sure to let you know."
That sounds pretty final to me.

morphiaflow

So...who's going to update Art's wiki page? If it hasn't been already.
I don't have the energy. But I recommend that the entire "Dark Matter" subject be broken off from "events of 2010-2013" into its own subject heading.

UrbanFool

Quote from: toastycoasty on November 04, 2013, 10:54:34 PM
To be fair, it wasn't a very good album.

I bought that when it first came out! :D