• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

HumanBeing

Quote from: Luna on November 05, 2013, 12:57:29 AM
Did you sign?? =D

No but I sighed  ;D hehe
I may sign it later. I appreciate the passion and effort to keep Art going... I am just really upset about it right now.  :-\

UrbanFool

Quote from: 23Skidoo on November 05, 2013, 01:05:31 AM
I don't know how many people here are twitter savvy, but if you do a search for @sirisuxm and check the "@mentions" within the past few house at leastr 80 percent of them are about Art Bell. I can't imagine any of the crappy celebrities like Jamie Foxx or Oprah have meant that much to Sirius. Gee, imagine listeners actually wanting to hear RADIO HOSTS. They threw millions at celebrities to do losing channels on Sirius, but they can't accommodate a curmudgeonly radio LEGEND who has an idea to make the show more accessible to the largest number of listeners?

Whatever. There are definitely no winners here.

You should say this in a letter to Sirius!

sherry440

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on November 04, 2013, 11:06:01 PM
I never had a problem with the Sirius stream being unreliable.  The host of Dark Matter, however, is another issue entirely...

Who and where is Clyde?

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 05, 2013, 01:01:10 AM
Doing a quality program is very important to me. I understand some people will hate my guts for it but sometimes that is what we buy with our decisions.

That's too bad. We bought Sirius XM receivers and subscriptions to follow you.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 05, 2013, 01:00:24 AM
My favorite mathematician/logician is 94.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_smullyan

If Art stays as mentally sharp as Raymond, Mr. Bell could have listeners on tenterhooks for thirty more years.

He could outlive TIME magazine, the iPhone, SONIC, and my CCrane LED flashlight.

T H I R T Y  M O R E  Y E A R S.

Gives me duck duck goose bumps just contemplating it.

True... Art is obsessed with death and dying. He could be on the airwaves for 30+ more years.. one never knows advancements in health and science. He's just given up and resigned himself to be a bitter old man. Whatever floats his boat. If he is comfortable with this being the most recent lasting memory of him.. oh well.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: wotr1 on November 05, 2013, 01:05:19 AM
Wow, thanks for that.  Very interesting stuff and it really does sound like it may be over for now.  Too bad...

Thanks for sharing that and throwing a little light on it.

You're welcome. I think people are being too harsh. If the service doesn't work, then it doesn't work. They can fix it, god knows how many radio hosts stream flawlessly here in 2013. If they fix it, he'll be back. If they don't, then we were getting screwed with an inferior product for $15 a month. Don't hate Art, write SXM.

Luna

I understand. :( It's really hard and disappointing. I listened to Art Bells old shows and just reminiscened the times when I was young and the world was still full of mystery and wonder, before I experienced hard times.  You? 

WOTR

Quote from: popple on November 05, 2013, 01:01:51 AM
I agree with much of what you said. Ah, I really loved all the cool special little things about DM. Everything was coming together. Bellgabs involvement was so much fun. I will miss the live posts so much.
I agree completely.  Even more than the shows (which were great) was listening to it live and getting the reactions of others.  The first incarnation of Coast I was working alone and would just listen.  Under Dave I would come here to ridicule him with others because the show was good for nothing else.  Finally there was a great show with a great audience and I could watch it all unfold.  It was a good time and everybody here added so much to the show.  Now I am left wondering what is next?  I cannot (and will not) start listening to Dave again. 

I suppose time will tell (I love cliches that are true.) ;)

ItsOver

This all sure happened rather rapidly.  Looking at Mr. Bell's history of "retirements," I can't help but think the thrill of being back on the air wore off rapidly and he was just looking for an out, again.  He saw it and he took it.  I certainly don't blame Sirius for the demise of Dark Matter.

Heather Wade

From Art:

Michael,

I saw a post recently on Bell Gab that said the Spooky Matter show was the weakest ever. I agree, and it would be downhill from there under
the current situation. I thought it was entirely reasonable to ask for a Year to try and reach the users who had tried the 30 day trial and
threw up their hands and left. All I wanted was streaming that worked. The success of my original show and the new show depended
on callers, many of my best shows were as a result of open lines. Yes I could fill the lines with truckers, bless their hearts, but I could not
have made the kind of show that you and all the other callers had a right to expect. Cell phones just do not work well going down the street
at 70 MPH.

I had hundreds of email's from people who had left because of a stream that kept cutting out, that was my base and all I wanted was to
keep that group, so I asked for free streaming for a Year or until they could fix the problem, they said no, so rather than have a show go
downhill I chose to end it. Doing a quality program is very important to me. I understand some people will hate my guts for it but sometimes
that is what we buy with our decisions. I made this choice for the show, not me. I love doing the show but not in a half ass way.

Is it a 100% done deal? As it sits, yes. It is my position that if they let me stream until the problems are fixed I would be back at the mike in a second
but I think they will not do so. That is the situation in a nutshell. BTW my Producer agrees as does my friend Bob Crane who saw his sales start
well, get better, then sharply decline as people got frustrated and dropped.

Art

Thanks for posting that.

So we've got Art who won't budge, and Sirius, who can't get it together.
And where is steelbot??

How can we get Sirius to do this?  They got Star Trek back on the air way back when, let's get Art back.

Luna

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 05, 2013, 12:57:58 AM
Minecraft is awesome!!
Mindcrack too!

;D
Yeah. I play minecraft a lot. I would be playing now if I wasn't doing this. :)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 05, 2013, 01:10:54 AM
Thanks for posting that.

And where is steelbot??

How can we get Sirius to do this?  They got Star Trek back on the air way back when, let's get Art back.

You're damned correct. Write. It's worked in the past, and it can work again.

popple

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 05, 2013, 01:08:34 AM
That's too bad. We bought Sirius XM receivers and subscriptions to follow you.

Obviously if some people can't listen to the show live it's only fair that no one can listen to the show live  ;)

Imagine if in a few days this shit actually works and a free stream goes up on artbell.com! Not saying it will but I wanna see the reactions out of that  ;D

Scruff

The truck driver cell phone excuse is SHIT - everyone use cell phones these days and for someone as tech-adept as Art knows that and is acting like an old fuddy duddy for not embracing that.

People who complained about the streaming issues have shitty computers because I have a mediocre computer and i get the Sirius stream just fine.  Art is taking that most extreme examples of problems and turning them into cases against his host.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 05, 2013, 01:12:18 AM
You're damned correct. Write. It's worked in the past, and it can work again.
This is probably right.

My current and quite cynical opinion says that may get us another 2 months of content.

Quote from: popple on November 05, 2013, 01:12:41 AM
Imagine if in a few days this shit actually works and a free stream goes up on artbell.com! Not saying it will but I wanna see the reactions out of that  ;D

Yeah I wonder how long that'll last?

littlechris

Thanks for posting that.

And where is steelbot??

If that email was from Art, it does look like its over!! Art is ridiculous to demand a year of free streaming when sirius could possibly fix the "problem" in a few days!!

dortmunder

From Art:

Michael,

I saw a post recently on Bell Gab that said the Spooky Matter show was the weakest ever. I agree, and it would be downhill from there under
the current situation. I thought it was entirely reasonable to ask for a Year to try and reach the users who had tried the 30 day trial and
threw up their hands and left. All I wanted was streaming that worked. The success of my original show and the new show depended
on callers, many of my best shows were as a result of open lines. Yes I could fill the lines with truckers, bless their hearts, but I could not
have made the kind of show that you and all the other callers had a right to expect. Cell phones just do not work well going down the street
at 70 MPH.

I had hundreds of email's from people who had left because of a stream that kept cutting out, that was my base and all I wanted was to
keep that group, so I asked for free streaming for a Year or until they could fix the problem, they said no, so rather than have a show go
downhill I chose to end it. Doing a quality program is very important to me. I understand some people will hate my guts for it but sometimes
that is what we buy with our decisions. I made this choice for the show, not me. I love doing the show but not in a half ass way.

Is it a 100% done deal? As it sits, yes. It is my position that if they let me stream until the problems are fixed I would be back at the mike in a second
but I think they will not do so. That is the situation in a nutshell. BTW my Producer agrees as does my friend Bob Crane who saw his sales start
well, get better, then sharply decline as people got frustrated and dropped.

Art

So, we should all get land lines installed in our cars and drive slower? Feh! Gimme a break!

area51drone

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 05, 2013, 01:09:28 AM
If they don't, then we were getting screwed with an inferior product for $15 a month. Don't hate Art, write SXM.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.  Even with full access to all the shows SXM has, $15 is WAY to much for radio, especially considering how much (audio & visual) content (pirated or otherwise) you can get for free on Youtube, or even on paid services like Netflix for less than $10 a month.

Luna

Thanks for posting that.

And where is steelbot??

We can write to Sirius XM, email them and also maybe sign this petition? ^^

littlechris

Quote from: Scruff on November 05, 2013, 01:13:27 AM
The truck driver cell phone excuse is SHIT - everyone use cell phones these days and for someone as tech-adept as Art knows that and is acting like an old fuddy duddy for not embracing that.

People who complained about the streaming issues have shitty computers because I have a mediocre computer and i get the Sirius stream just fine.  Art is taking that most extreme examples of problems and turning them into cases against his host.

I thought the same thing, i routinely drive 70mph + on the highway and have clear, pleasant conversations with friends and loved ones 2000 miles away!!

steelbot

Thanks for posting that.

And where is steelbot??

what do ya all want from me? A replay of an old and quite frankly un entertaining guestisode?  nah - i've got other things to worry about in the world that my favorite b-casters walking away again...and again... that's life folks - we'll adapt and move on

coaster

Way to alienate truck drivers. A shame they are being used as an excuse. ::)
I swear, if I have to read the word "petition" again..

littlechris

Quote from: steelbot on November 05, 2013, 01:16:00 AM
what do ya all want from me? A replay of an old and quite frankly un entertaining guestisode?  nah - i've got other things to worry about in the world that my favorite b-casters walking away again...and again... that's life folks - we'll adapt and move on

Geez, sorry bro, we just missed seeing you as you are normally here. Was wondering what you thought, I guess we now know.

littlechris

Quote from: coaster on November 05, 2013, 01:17:24 AM
Way to alienate truck drivers. A shame they are being used as an excuse. ::)
Yeah, i also took it as a low blow to truck drivers.  :(

Falkie2013

I was introduced to Art by a friend who is no longer alive. I knew him since I was 12.
I was telling my gf how hurt and betrayed I now feel over this.
Art and Sirius and everyone hyped how he was coming back just a month and a half ago and now this.
How many times does Art get to cry wolf before no one listens to him anymore ?
Anyway, I mentioned to her that $noory now claims his listenership and ratings are bigger than ever.
And she said :

" My butt has bigger ratings than Noory ! "

I edited the comment so I don't violate the rules of the forum but it broke me up.
And I was the one who once started the thread of " Will Art Bell ever return to radio ? " too.
I'm not the man I was in 1990.
( Like Ramona, the asthma and breathing issues I now have may well do me in one day.
I didn't have them back then. ).
But I guess neither is Art.
If he comes back fine.
But since he has this track history of quitting over and over, I won't get my hopes up again.
But neither will I listen to Noory any more.
I'll have to settle for podcasts that are worthy of my attention or the occasional George Knapp segments.
:( :( :-[

Does anyone have any idea how many people were listening to DM in the time it's been on the air ?