• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on September 20, 2022, 02:08:24 PMJust got a book, haven't read it yet, about that ghost ship and crazy stuff. Martime  law and finance is amazing. Bzyantine and not 'sexy' so most don't pay attention, even though most everything we buy and need moves, at some point, by ship. Sometimes people can't even figure out who owns the ship and there are so many levels of ownership, leasing, leasing back, insuring, reinsuring, and types of legal relationships related to the goods, and sailors.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58395055-dead-in-the-water

I was surprised to see when the ever forward ran aground that there is such a thing as declaring a general average that suddenly makes the cargo owners partially responsible for the costs incurred because the captain of a ship is drunk or stupid...

"Common average is a principle of maritime law that requires shipowners and shippers to share equitably in the costs involved in rescuing a ship following a major accident. When General Average is claimed, owners of goods are required to contribute to a General Average fund before their cargo can be delivered."

Basically, if the ship is valued at 50 million and the cargo at 50 million, then the ship owner and the cargo owner would each contribute 50% of all costs to rescue the ship (simplified.) It just blows my mind that I could import a container of cargo and be responsible for a share of tug boats, dredging equipment, and divers.

SredniVashtar

This is a fascinating little news report all about a vanished side of London. There are a few left but not many now. It shows how accents have changed over a few short decades too. Well worth a few minutes of your time.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 26, 2022, 04:52:53 AM

This is a fascinating little news report all about a vanished side of London. There are a few left but not many now. It shows how accents have changed over a few short decades too. Well worth a few minutes of your time.

Aw Shreddie is waxing nostalgic for poverty.  The only reason those slums are La Boheme stage-set quaint is the relative absence of modern plastics and nylons that make your local homeless camp a garish ragbag of tarps and tents that resist the sepia hues of picturesque decay.  I'm sure they smelled just as awful.  And that parsley sauce is frightening!  I have heard that some of the mushy peas you get with fish & chips are dyed radioactive green, wouldn't be surprised if this is the same.  The English have a long history of food adulteration, bread with sawdust, bone meal, chalk to whiten and look fancy, now I learn even your smoked haddock is a shameless fraud and, when it isn't, it is smoked with the sweepings out of furniture shops, just ghastly.  I do not even want to know what is in those pies  :o

(Honestly it was cute, love the old coats and the boater hat and pride in his eels and the kid gurning in the back, funny, I always eat a can of fatty herring in aspic with a dash of vinegar and pepper, same idea)

Rix Gins

That was a fun video, Sredni.  Thank you.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 27, 2022, 12:08:35 AMThat was a fun video, Sredni.  Thank you.

You're welcome. Here's annuver about the Cockney accent, which is 'ow you speak if you are born wivvin the sahnd o' Bow bells. That being the church of St Mary le Bow in Cheapside.

You'll see a bit of graffiti in the first few minutes saying 'G Davis is innocent'. That refers to an armed robber called George Davis, who certainly wasn't innocent, but he had a big following at the time and some of his supporters once dug up a cricket pitch in the '70s and ruined a Test match as a protest about him.

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on September 25, 2022, 11:26:27 PMI was surprised to see when the ever forward ran aground that there is such a thing as declaring a general average that suddenly makes the cargo owners partially responsible for the costs incurred because the captain of a ship is drunk or stupid...

"Common average is a principle of maritime law that requires shipowners and shippers to share equitably in the costs involved in rescuing a ship following a major accident. When General Average is claimed, owners of goods are required to contribute to a General Average fund before their cargo can be delivered."

Basically, if the ship is valued at 50 million and the cargo at 50 million, then the ship owner and the cargo owner would each contribute 50% of all costs to rescue the ship (simplified.) It just blows my mind that I could import a container of cargo and be responsible for a share of tug boats, dredging equipment, and divers.
Not everything is a fraud or scam but the system is designed to hedge against losses and spread them out over many parties and institutions. And when things happened at sea it is hard to determine 'what happened.' So since, usually, there is no major loss for one party, it might be hard to determine what happened, the cargo might be time sensitive or $, and legal costs get $$$ due to the various laws, treaties, and parties involved- so cheaper to settle even when suspicious.

A simple way to think about it (it is not simple at all but) is like with CC companies and banks. There is little incentive to 'find out' who stole your card, it doesn't cost you (you will be reimbursed,) it doesn't cost the bank much (versus hiring investigators, getting evidence) so they write off the loss or pass it down to the general consumer. So unlike a massive hack or huge amount of money or something jeopardizing the whole CC system- they just shrug and say 'ok, I will take off that charge.) They is acceptable level of 'shrinkage' and 'fraud.' But because shipping handles almost all our goods, food, and fuel the numbers are huge so the acceptable losses or shrinking are much higher. Plus they don't want to impact the system if massive levels of corruption or fraud became known.

Haven't finished book but great, and interesting, read.

Rix Gins

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 27, 2022, 03:20:41 AMYou're welcome. Here's annuver about the Cockney accent, which is 'ow you speak if you are born wivvin the sahnd o' Bow bells. That being the church of St Mary le Bow in Cheapside.

You'll see a bit of graffiti in the first few minutes saying 'G Davis is innocent'. That refers to an armed robber called George Davis, who certainly wasn't innocent, but he had a big following at the time and some of his supporters once dug up a cricket pitch in the '70s and ruined a Test match as a protest about him.
Love those Cockney accents, but then I love all things London, England. A favorite English actor, the late great Barry Foster spoke with a Cockney accent in some of his rolls. I guess he was just acting though, because he grew up in West London.

I appreciate the info on Mr. Davis. Did some digging and his first wife wrote a book about him. The Wars of Rosie: Hard Knocks, Endurance and the 'George Davis Is Innocent' Campaign in 2008. I'm thinking of purchasing a copy of it on Amazon. 

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 28, 2022, 02:54:08 AMLove those Cockney accents, but then I love all things London, England. A favorite English actor, the late great Barry Foster spoke with a Cockney accent in some of his rolls. I guess he was just acting though, because he grew up in West London.

I appreciate the info on Mr. Davis. Did some digging and his first wife wrote a book about him. The Wars of Rosie: Hard Knocks, Endurance and the 'George Davis Is Innocent' Campaign in 2008. I'm thinking of purchasing a copy of it on Amazon. 

Barry Foster, otherwise known as Van der Valk (cue that music!). I suppose that role was a bit of a two-edged sword because when he died he was just known as 'that guy who played Van der Valk', which was a bit of a shame. I have a vague memory of him in an episode of Inspector Morse too and he was very good in that. I think he was also the villain in that Hitchcock film 'Frenzy'. One of those underrated actors, definitely. A bit like Harry H Corbett, who ended up being known for one role in a sitcom, but at one time he was tipped to be the next Brando.

The East End has an odd attitude towards its villains. The Krays were a notoriously nasty pair, but they are still regarded as heroes in certain parts of London because they were nice to their mother and beat up some of the other villains. That attitude probably goes back several hundred years to people like Jack Shepherd, who were regarded as folk heroes by the locals for the all the times he managed to get out of prison. Quite often, when they were hanging criminals they would ride through London in all their finery and wave to cheering crowds on the way to the gallows. Peter Ackroyd has written a book all about London, if you're interested. Tyburn, where they used to hang most of them, is now known as Marble Arch. Smithfield, which is now the main meat market in London, used to be the place that they burned heretics back in the 17th Century. There's all sorts of interesting history to be found in London.

Rix Gins

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 28, 2022, 03:53:38 AMBarry Foster, otherwise known as Van der Valk (cue that music!). I suppose that role was a bit of a two-edged sword because when he died he was just known as 'that guy who played Van der Valk', which was a bit of a shame. I have a vague memory of him in an episode of Inspector Morse too and he was very good in that. I think he was also the villain in that Hitchcock film 'Frenzy'. One of those underrated actors, definitely. A bit like Harry H Corbett, who ended up being known for one role in a sitcom, but at one time he was tipped to be the next Brando.

The East End has an odd attitude towards its villains. The Krays were a notoriously nasty pair, but they are still regarded as heroes in certain parts of London because they were nice to their mother and beat up some of the other villains. That attitude probably goes back several hundred years to people like Jack Shepherd, who were regarded as folk heroes by the locals for the all the times he managed to get out of prison. Quite often, when they were hanging criminals they would ride through London in all their finery and wave to cheering crowds on the way to the gallows. Peter Ackroyd has written a book all about London, if you're interested. Tyburn, where they used to hang most of them, is now known as Marble Arch. Smithfield, which is now the main meat market in London, used to be the place that they burned heretics back in the 17th Century. There's all sorts of interesting history to be found in London.
I am very interested in that Ackroyd book, plus the one about George Davis.  I noticed a number of books about the Tyburn 'Tree'... might go for one of those while I'm at it.  One of the things I like about London is it's fascinating history.  Appreciate it, Sredni.

Juan

I just saw a video of something called Lizzo twerking and playing James Madison's Crystal flute.  Just what does Lizzo puport to be?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Juan on September 29, 2022, 03:42:43 PMI just saw a video of something called Lizzo twerking and playing James Madison's Crystal flute.  Just what does Lizzo puport to be?

She purports to be a flutist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mb62QNXY0g

Based on what I heard, that seems to be accurate.  There is a bit of Carnival of Venice and the opening of Poulenc's Flute Sonata in there.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 30, 2022, 07:20:34 AMShe purports to be a flutist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mb62QNXY0g

Based on what I heard, that seems to be accurate.  There is a bit of Carnival of Venice and the opening of Poulenc's Flute Sonata in there.

/flex

albrecht

Quote from: Juan on September 29, 2022, 03:42:43 PMI just saw a video of something called Lizzo twerking and playing James Madison's Crystal flute.  Just what does Lizzo puport to be?
Apparently a 'professional twerker,' one would've thought that kind of activity would cause some weightloss, at least eventually, but not. Maybe it is the 'tweakers' who lose the weight? She also can play the flute- and that is isn't some kind of sexual euphemism by twerkers.

aldousburbank

I just got back from my first NASCAR race. My erection will last over 4 hours.

Jackstar

Quote from: aldousburbank on October 01, 2022, 11:34:22 PMMy erection will last over 4 hours.

That should only be a problem if you don't do anything with it but lay there and watch it turn purple while everyone else turns green, but as long as everyone is more than 5000 yards out, you should be safe from a rifle cock shot.

Now, I'm not sure how to duplicate my experiences with deliberately inventing a way to never feel jealous of anyone else's sex life ever again, but I can tell you that I have succeeded in this goal--

And the reason is that I would rather talk about NASCAR than go to jail for a year. Like, I'm not even faking it in. I have won The Game.

Jackstar

Quote from: Jackstar on October 02, 2022, 12:06:47 AMAnd the reason is that I would rather talk about NASCAR than go to jail for a year. Like, I'm not even faking it in.

Quote from: Jackstar on October 02, 2022, 12:06:47 AMI have won The Game.

It's been tricky knocking these wins out of the park, what with the Vows of Bonded Bondage of Bonded Servitude, Camoflauge, Discipline: Freedom, [Disciplines: Elephant Riding, Dragon Sleighing, Goldragon Hartslayer, totes TotesHonesTeaTotesItsWhats4LAUNCH, Barnstorming, Bartholomew T.esQ. NOTES:

These are mandatory skills and abilities in order to establish bona fides. This is the way I am choosing to compartmentalize this information, because, number one, this is the only avenue available to me, given the destruction of my research corpus, my flex capacitor, ALL the flux capacitors I had were disassembled, now my fridge is full of yogurt and one loan hen's egg, which, you know what? It might be a ringer. So, just in case, someone manifests another dragon, maybe--just, maybe--it's gonna hatch out of this haunted refrigerator one night.

Like, THIS SHIT COULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN. People see that stuff, right? That's why Zuul was in the fridge. I have a fridge that is way, way, WAY SCARIER. It's a -novel- level of filthy. Way beyond totesbeyond. (Worth the trip especially with astral travel.) In any event, I'm hearing this extended complaints about mental illness.

Well, Bellgab, I'd tell you that I've been fine, but I wouldn't know what to tell you the next time you remembered who I am, because I'm going to have to drop one more vow and something else too before I get to a vow of Dentistry. And, the reason why is George Washington.] Those are for the specifications. Vows also are emplaced with Poverty, Honesty,  & Mrs. Paul. (She is a -real- bitch. #Respect.) So I'm probably not likely to be taken away from where I'm being held against my will, a hostage to fate, oh yeah there's a wormhole here. Like why wouldn't there be?

I think there is a case for calling The Singularity bypass a successful one. Those who know about it at all would surely agree. The landscape of theoretical astrophysics is, you know, my area.

Some days I have trouble getting out of bed, to rustle up the energy to remember to change all the keycodephrases in one of the more important fake accounts that has been made, hijacked, co-opted, confiscated, and then used to provide cover for the stalking and eventual murders of numerous people... so maybe I should have worked on my raging case of undiagnosed insomnia before Stephen King had to write a book about it.

In the meantime I have content to upload and I only have one job on this spaceship, and goddam it, I'm going to do it. By the way, you're on a planet.

I'm on a spaceship. Get it? Got it? Good. I'll be home for nightly presence check later. Also, I have opened the Bust of George Washington and found--of course--five magickal coins. (Please, be jelly.)

Love to Fam.

WOTR

1:41 Looks like the start of a Monty Python skit.

This is somewhat important in my timeline:

Of course, things work out a bit differently for us.

-COL Manly