• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Syrett

Started by muddel, July 28, 2009, 01:15:33 PM

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on July 01, 2015, 02:20:10 PM
Tolerate? Aren't you supposed to enjoy shows/hosts?

Art Bell .... Save us!!!!

I guess years of modern c2c has whittled down my expectations, a.k.a. the Noory Effect.  I expect a total system reset of my standards upon Art's first show back. 

Juan Cena

Why isn't Connie Willis the host for the medical marijuana show?

Dateline

Quote from: Juan Cena on July 12, 2015, 01:38:54 AM
Why isn't Connie Willis the host for the medical marijuana show?

She is set to host the recreational marijuana show?

Juan Cena

Quote from: Dateline on July 12, 2015, 01:43:21 AM
She is set to host the recreational marijuana show?

Maybe she's still recovering from the final Grateful Dead concerts from last week.

Nebraska888

I like Syrett.........but four hours of marijuana talk is too much........boring. Legalize it for medicinal and recreational use and move on!

Nebraska888

Quote from: zeebo on July 01, 2015, 01:43:09 AM
I basically can tolerate all the hosts except the Noorie.  He's the only one that just makes me friggin crazy.  Which is funny since according to my calculations he hosts approx. 70% of the time which makes him like the friggin oceans of earth in comparison to dry land.

Agree!   ;)

yumyumtree

I heard a few minutes of the first guest last night--thought he was obnoxious.  What does he have to back up his claims?  He says that kids should go out of their way to hang out with stoners (well, I guess Obama did, so it worked for him) because they're the smartest, etc., I wonder if this guy has children of his own?

Incidentally the anti-marijuana side often doesn't do any better job backing up their claims.  In the Herald this morning was a letter to the editor about the city of Everett's efforts to tighten zoning laws for recreational marijuana. This letter writer said that 1 in 6 youthful marijuana users becomes "addicted"( a term that may not even be applicable to marijuana).  When it comes to local marijuana issues, I generally say, the voters voted for it. I personally did not, but deal with it. When you see the rest of the vice that's rife in Everett, the whole thing is pretty silly.

But don't be a damn fool about it, as the Syrett's guest last night was.

Marc Emery, Canada's prince of pot.

onan

Quote from: yumyumtree on July 12, 2015, 04:08:02 PM
I heard a few minutes of the first guest last night--thought he was obnoxious.  What does he have to back up his claims?  He says that kids should go out of their way to hang out with stoners (well, I guess Obama did, so it worked for him) because they're the smartest, etc., I wonder if this guy has children of his own?

Incidentally the anti-marijuana side often doesn't do any better job backing up their claims.  In the Herald this morning was a letter to the editor about the city of Everett's efforts to tighten zoning laws for recreational marijuana. This letter writer said that 1 in 6 youthful marijuana users becomes "addicted"( a term that may not even be applicable to marijuana).  When it comes to local marijuana issues, I generally say, the voters voted for it. I personally did not, but deal with it. When you see the rest of the vice that's rife in Everett, the whole thing is pretty silly.

The term for addiction has changed over the years. Now if someone displays a tolerance for a psychoactive substance and even a vague form of withdrawal behavior that person is considered to have an addiction. I pretty much come from the old school which believes if there is no physiological change when stopping the use of a substance it isn't really addiction. And I have to be very careful how I present clinical assessments due to that.

Now just because I don't follow the current view doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. In the real world, probably some balance between both views would be most therapeutic.

Juan Cena

When it comes to Canadian comedy, Richard Syrett is no Tyler Morrison.

I guess I'll be sticking to the Jersey Guy on Little Steven's Underground Garage for the next few hours.

Izintit?

Quote from: Juan Cena on July 12, 2015, 11:14:13 PM
When it comes to Canadian comedy, Richard Syrett is no Tyler Morrison.

I guess I'll be sticking to the Jersey Guy on Little Steven's Underground Garage for the next few hours.
Hell, he`s not even Harland Williams.

136 or 142

Marc Emery makes some good points, but he only hurts the cause when he says nonsense like that or that people high on marijuana drive better.  This is why in British Columbia, the marijuana legalization lobby promotes more moderate spokespeople and discourages radio show hosts from putting Emery on the air.

albrecht

Quote from: 136 or 142 on July 13, 2015, 07:01:44 PM

Marc Emery makes some good points, but he only hurts the cause when he says nonsense like that or that people high on marijuana drive better.  This is why in British Columbia, the marijuana legalization lobby promotes more moderate spokespeople and discourages radio show hosts from putting Emery on the air.
Roughly 37% of all trafficdeaths in the US are 'alcohol involved', so you are safer being a drunk driver as sober people cause more traffic deaths and you are less likely to die if you are drunk, right? ;)

Oh was he on?  He was making some similar outrageous statements recently in the Vancouver media.

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 13, 2015, 08:05:19 PM
Oh was he on?  He was making some similar outrageous statements recently in the Vancouver media.
Yes, I didn't hear all but I do recall a mini-rant about stoned drivers being safer drivers and Syrett trying to joke and pull him out of it. I won't argue that, maybe, stoned drivers and "better" than drunk drivers but "going slow" can be just as dangerous as going too fast. And his comments about just "listening to music" and that children should "hang out" with the stoners because they are the safest group? He had some interesting theories to say the least. Not a good spokesman for legalization, at least for non-stoners. The economic arguments sway me far better (uses for hemp, costs of prisons, loss of civil rights, etc.)

NoMoreNoory

More than decent show last night, I thought. Especially Posner. Syrett came up to the mark, too: it almost felt like listening to one of Knapp's shows. I've ordered Posner's book - God's Bankers - on the back of it. And, of course, all the time I was thinking what a train wreck it would have been if Altar Boy Noory had had his hands on it.

albrecht

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on July 13, 2015, 08:48:52 PM
More than decent show last night, I thought. Especially Posner. Syrett came up to the mark, too: it almost felt like listening to one of Knapp's shows. I've ordered Posner's book - God's Bankers - on the back of it. And, of course, all the time I was thinking what a train wreck it would have been if Altar Boy Noory had had his hands on it.
The Vatican Bank and Blackfriar's hanging is always an interesting subject. Frontline did a nice piece on it years ago (but can be found on interwebs.)

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: albrecht on July 13, 2015, 09:39:44 PM
The Vatican Bank and Blackfriar's hanging is always an interesting subject. Frontline did a nice piece on it years ago (but can be found on interwebs.)

I was in London at the time, and was fascinated then by the whole thing. Time Out got their teeth into it with several long articles about the bank and P2.

Nebraska888

Quote from: albrecht on July 13, 2015, 09:39:44 PM

Yes, good program.  Syrett does a great job.

Robert

Quote from: albrecht on July 13, 2015, 09:39:44 PMThe Vatican Bank and Blackfriar's hanging is always an interesting subject. Frontline did a nice piece on it years ago (but can be found on interwebs.)
I first heard of P2 in a talk Robert Anton Wilson gave at the Libertarian Book Club.  He expanded on the line, "Cocaine is God's way of saying you have too much money," by adding, "and that the Vatican doesn't have enough of it."

Lost was full of allusions to those events.  The character played by Terry O'Quinn was hanged by an orange cord (a murder ruled a suicide) while he was dressed with Masonic symbols & making a Masonic gesture.  The Terry O'Quinn character was next seen dressed as a friar in black.  The Michael Emerson character who killed him was built up as being like Liccio Gelli.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert on July 14, 2015, 01:44:40 PM
I first heard of P2 in a talk Robert Anton Wilson gave at the Libertarian Book Club.  He expanded on the line, "Cocaine is God's way of saying you have too much money," by adding, "and that the Vatican doesn't have enough of it."

Lost was full of allusions to those events.  The character played by Terry O'Quinn was hanged by an orange cord (a murder ruled a suicide) while he was dressed with Masonic symbols & making a Masonic gesture.  The Terry O'Quinn character was next seen dressed as a friar in black.  The Michael Emerson character who killed him was built up as being like Liccio Gelli.
Never heard the "Lost" theory but I don't watch much tv and never watched that show. Interesting though. Wilson was always interesting. P2, GLADIO, and the banking etc are fascinating.
There are so many odd stuff still going on at the Vatican, recall this?
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/14/vatican-braced-for-exhumation-in-old-kidnap-case/
http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=16977

Also those rumors of the "gay mafia" and "gay casting couch" in the Vatican? What ever happened to stories/investigations there? It was mentioned, briefly, in the show but not followed up upon.

AZZERAE

zeebo

Good news for those of you who've caught "Syrett Fever".  A double-shot of RS this weekend:

Sat: Helium-3 / Cloning Extinct Animals
Sun: Paranormal Paradigm

As for me, I'm neutral on him.  But it helps that when I hear his voice I picture a forest-dwelling wizard in a droopy hat puffing on a curved pipe.

wr250

Quote from: zeebo on August 07, 2015, 02:21:19 PM
Good news for those of you who've caught "Syrett Fever".  A double-shot of RS this weekend:

As for me, I'm neutral on him.  But it helps that when I hear his voice I picture a forest-dwelling wizard in a droopy hat puffing on a curved pipe.

cweb

Quote from: zeebo on August 07, 2015, 02:21:19 PM

He's definitely got a dungeonmaster kind of vibe to him. (We also would've accepted Langly from The Lone Gunmen.) When he's on his own shows, he seems a bit more comfortable.

TigerLily

It's funny, I used to look forward to the weekends just for the break from sNoory and especially if Syrett and Schrader were on.  Last night I turned on Syrett, and was immediately "meh".  Art has ruined me for anyone but him and Knapp.  I'd rather listen to a MITD archive I've already heard.

DanTSX

Has he mentioned that he's canadian yet?

He's like Rick Moranis's unfunny, untalented younger brother.

Newsflash:  being canadian doesn't make you interesting to Canadians or Americans.  The sponsorship scandal is long gone, you missed the gravy train bro.

DanTSX

Anyone who wants to keep MJ criminalized is a freedom hating, no-fun asshole of the highest order.

I haven't even touched the stuff in years, but it is easily the best key to abstraction and thougt/ability/introspection breakthroughs in thought for the common man.

For the uncommon man, there are far better doors to knock on.  But MJ is a great way for people to learn about themselves.   I never realized how poorly I treated some people via specific actions or inattentions until MJ gave me the insight to step outside my base frequency a half cycle.  Now I am much more attentive and it has shined on my success greatly.

Syrett is usually pretty good, but I don't think he's very science literate.  I listened to last night's show on He-3 for a few minutes but quickly got frustrated and turned the radio off shortly.

Nebraska888

I will take Syrett ANYTIME over Willis, Garr, or Noory.

Syrett does just fine.

jjsmooth

Quote from: DanTSX on August 09, 2015, 08:23:09 PM
He's like Rick Moranis's unfunny, untalented younger brother.

Rick Moranis is funny? Huh... you learn something new every day.