• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Syrett

Started by muddel, July 28, 2009, 01:15:33 PM

Thank you, caller, who desperately needed to give away the whole plot of "The Thirteenth Floor."

Self-absorbed jerk.

I quickly cut you off.

zeebo

What about that weird lady, prattling on about "Ascendent Masters" and all.  I don't know what to make of her.  I think I need the Major Ed tie-breaker vote on that one.

Quote from: zeebo on February 09, 2015, 03:54:27 AM
What about that weird lady, prattling on about "Ascendent Masters" and all.  I don't know what to make of her.  I think I need the Major Ed tie-breaker vote on that one.

She had trouble formulating a coherent question.

Quote from: zeebo on February 09, 2015, 03:54:27 AM

I was going to say heroin but decided that might not be fair.

zeebo

Quote from: Major Ed Damien on February 09, 2015, 03:55:02 AM
She had trouble formulating a coherent question.

Could be a glitch in "the matrix"?  And on that note, nite all.

Quote from: zeebo on February 09, 2015, 04:01:13 AM
Could be a glitch in "the matrix"?  And on that note, nite all.

She was leaking from her digital oil pan, I think.

Nite, Zeeb.

136 or 142

I've never seen The 13th Floor but I've always wanted to because the lovely Gretchen Mol is in it.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 09, 2015, 04:05:44 AM
I've never seen The 13th Floor but I've always wanted to because the lovely Gretchen Mol is in it.

It is an interesting movie.

What happened to all our buttons when we post? I only get 6 of them up there. (Bold, italic, pic, link, quote, hashtag).

136 or 142

Why was Peter Breggin dug up to be the first hour guest?  He immediately showed that he knew practically nothing about the subject and instead used virtually the entire hour to go on about his pet theory: that psychiatric drugs are all bad.  While I won't deny that they are over prescribed and that especially Ritallin is over prescribed to for ADHD which is in itself over diagnosed, I know from first hand experience that anti psychotics can be successfully used to treat psychotzophrenia.  His knowledge of psychotzophrenia is also 30 years out of date (like nearly all of his knowledge) and I'm surprised that he didn't go and blame it on 'bad parenting' as was previously commonly done.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 09, 2015, 04:10:00 AM
Why was Peter Breggin dug up to be the first hour guest?  He immediately showed that he knew practically nothing about the subject and instead used virtually the entire hour to go on about his pet theory: that psychiatric drugs are all bad.  While I won't deny that they are over prescribed and that especially Ritallin is over prescribed to for ADHD which is in itself over diagnosed, I know from first hand experience that anti psychotics can be successfully used to treat psychotzophrenia.  His knowledge of psychotzophrenia is also 30 years out of date (like nearly all of his knowledge) and I'm surprised that he didn't go and blame it on 'bad parenting' as was previously commonly done.

I agreed with him about the emotional triggers of depression but he lost me a little when he seemed to recommend not treating schizophrenia or alzheimers with medication.

AZZERAE

I like Richard Syrett.

He has a nice voice and a good sense of humor.

But, of course, he is no Art Bell.

albrecht

Quote from: BattyBrooke on February 09, 2015, 02:33:05 AM
What was he saying travels through us or goes into us? Nutrines (pronounced new-treen)? He said travel through solid matter and go into us when we're in the sun or even in the dark through the earth? If I just knew what the hell the word was, I could go from there.
Was he talking about neutrinos?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on February 09, 2015, 05:33:21 AM
I agreed with him about the emotional triggers of depression but he lost me a little when he seemed to recommend not treating schizophrenia or alzheimers with medication.
Yes! It is like the vaccine madness. It seems all public personalities treat these subjects as either/or, binary situations when if fact there are a lots of shades of gray. Not everyone needs psychiatric medication and it is likely that we do over-mediated ourselves and population (both via legal meds or by alcohol and illicit drugs) but this doesn't mean that all psychiatric drugs, or certain psychiatric drugs, aren't ever necessary! For certain mental conditions, maybe in acute episodes, maybe to help "wean off" illicit drugs or alcohol abuse, etc. And even WHEN drugs are useful not many "experts" would say that talk therapy, group therapy, talking to people, family support, parochial support, having friends, being socially connected, etc aren't important (as often they are as important!)

Likewise with the vaccine madness. It is not an either/or all-bad/all-good-or-useful! Even the CDC admit that is it not policy to vaccinate US citizens against, say, TB. This doesn't mean it is not wise to vaccinate against measles! Or that, in the future -say due to illegal immigration- that they might not reverse themselves and think we should vaccinate against TB again. There are analysis of risk, costs, contra-indications, efficacy, etc that is done. Simply because this year's flu vaccine isn't as effective doesn't mean that vaccine against tetanus should be avoided! Unless you travel or live in certain countries most doctors and government organizations say you don't need to get the Yellow Fever vaccine, for example.

WOTR

Quote from: BattyBrooke on February 09, 2015, 02:35:45 AM
I thought it was just me. He sounded like a dangerous wishful thinking crackpot. I was so irritated, I turned it off then forgot and missed the 1st hour of the guest I actually wanted to hear.
I used to hear him on with Noory and though he was about the worst thing they could dig up.  He is the Psychological equivalent to the cancer quacks that Coast sometimes has on... And he does it in a nice, sugary sweet sickening way.  I think he was on after the massacre at the movie theater as well as others.  Disgusting, vile little man.

Anyhow, much like you I turned off my radio and forgot to turn it back on to listen to what had the potential to be an interesting second-half interview.

Nebraska888

Syrett tonight and tomorrow........I don't mind him at all!   A Noory-free weekend.......?????  It doesn't get any better!  (.....and no Willis or Garr)

zeebo

Quote from: Nebraska888 on March 13, 2015, 11:24:48 AM
Syrett tonight and tomorrow........I don't mind him at all!   A Noory-free weekend.......?????  It doesn't get any better!  (.....and no Willis or Garr)

Tonite's show topic "Materializations & Ectoplasm" sounds like it could be a good creepy one.  Syrett's cryptic-sounding, wizard-in-the-woods voice may compliment the mood.

cweb

Quote from: zeebo on March 13, 2015, 03:10:04 PM
Syrett's cryptic-sounding, wizard-in-the-woods voice may compliment the mood.
Haha, yes!

I often picture him encouraging someone to roll a 1d20.

PChirp

Quote from: Azzerae on February 09, 2015, 09:42:20 AM
I like Richard Syrett.

He has a nice voice and a good sense of humor.

But, of course, he is no Art Bell.

Couldn't agree with you more...really enjoy listening to Syrett.  ;D

bound4bristol

Quote from: PChirp on March 13, 2015, 05:32:29 PM
Couldn't agree you more...really enjoy listening to Syrett.  ;D

I still can't help but hearing/seeing Casey Kasem...

everytime he speaks

PChirp

Well, have to agree, at least he's NOT Lee Cigar or Con Willis.  He's a refreshing change from all evil that IS Norry---Jeeezus!

Syrett is okay so long as he's not talkng about new agey stuff.  When he starts doing that, he goes all wacko.  I'll probably skip tonight's new agey show.

PChirp

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on March 13, 2015, 07:30:18 PM
Syrett is okay so long as he's not talkng about new agey stuff.  When he starts doing that, he goes all wacko.  I'll probably skip tonight's new agey show.

I'll concede and give you that.   ;)

qaddisin

Quote from: PChirp on March 13, 2015, 06:17:19 PM
Well, have to agree, at least he's NOT Lee Cigar or Con Willis.  He's a refreshing change from all evil that IS Norry---Jeeezus!

I have no idea why, but the Lee Cigar thing makes my laugh every time I see it.

Syrett grew on me, to be honest. I think he is witty and a little Ian Punnettish..
Don't like when he sucks up to NORES, but Schrader does the same. Pre-req of being a fill in I suppose..

cweb

Quote from: HorrorReporter on March 13, 2015, 08:44:00 PM
Syrett grew on me, to be honest. I think he is witty and a little Ian Punnettish..
Don't like when he sucks up to NORES, but Schrader does the same. Pre-req of being a fill in I suppose..
The weekend hosts have to suck up, or else they get the hose again.

Quote from: cweb on March 13, 2015, 08:59:49 PM

It puts the lotion on George's skin or else it gets Tommy's asscrack again.

PChirp

Quote from: HorrorReporter on March 13, 2015, 09:39:48 PM

+1  ;D

cweb

Quote from: HorrorReporter on March 13, 2015, 09:39:48 PM

Now there's a mental image. Ewwwww

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on March 13, 2015, 05:29:04 PM
...I often picture him encouraging someone to roll a 1d20.

:D  .... "You enter the Cave of Dread, and in the distance, hear the wailing of a Noorie .... "

qaddisin

Quote from: cweb on March 13, 2015, 08:59:49 PM

Obviously. I thought I would listen tonight, but the way Syrett started off the program I couldn't take it. I'm fairly certain I heard George's climax all the way in Florida.