• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

June 24, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 25, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 25, 1920.  Public Domain

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 25, 2020, 01:55:15 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 25, 1920.

Man, times really have changed!   ;)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 26, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 26, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

June 27, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on June 25, 2020, 08:56:04 AM
Man, times really have changed!   ;)

Yes, and no. Armed insurrection is not really what is going to overthrow the capitalistic system this time. That is just a distraction. I have to hand it to the far left- they actually have come up with a great plan.

Unilever joined 10 other companies today boycotting facebook and instagram until those companies take down "hate speech"- as though they are not already censoring people. This was at the urging of some leftist groups (you can imagine what political leaning "hate speech" will have in this case.)

I'm starting to see that they are actually using the corporations and capitalists to wage their new war. And those corporations- afraid of being "cancelled" or labelled as racist or non-progressive are caving and allowing themselves to be used as tools in ways that are self destructive (but might allow them to die a slower death than if they were "cancelled.")

In this case, it is petitions, demands, and fear (but not fear of armed uprisings) that appears to be the tools of change. The riots are just there for "window dressing" while the real work of revolution takes place.

Rix Gins

June 28, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

June 29, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 30, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 30, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 30, 2020, 01:39:16 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 30, 1920.

Maximum fine of $100? That seems steep for garbage- but I suppose rats and vermin as popular in 1920 as they are today...

Rix Gins

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 30, 2020, 02:34:02 PM

Nice images, Doc.  I read that Ray's parents helped him get started.  His dad engineered interior skeletal structures so that the models could be moved for each picture.  His mom made clothing for his early creations.  Nice folk.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union, July 01, 1920.

Rix Gins

July 1, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

July 2, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

July 3, 1920.  Public Domain 

Rix Gins

July 4, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

July 5, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

July 6, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

July 7, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., July 08, 1920.

And here is the rest of the story:
http://www.crimemagazine.com/carl-wanderer-and-“case-ragged-stranger”

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 08, 2020, 02:26:22 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., July 08, 1920.

And here is the rest of the story:
http://www.crimemagazine.com/carl-wanderer-and-“case-ragged-stranger”

Thanks for the additional link. Maybe I'm too jaded. As soon as it said that both guns were his, I decided he probably killed them both. I wonder what it would be like to live in a time where you found this shocking and not expected?

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on July 08, 2020, 02:48:43 AM
Thanks for the additional link. Maybe I'm too jaded. As soon as it said that both guns were his, I decided he probably killed them both. I wonder what it would be like to live in a time where you found this shocking and not expected?

Sure thing, WOTR.  The thing I found most interesting was Mr. Wanderer having the nerve to belt out a song shortly before the noose was placed around his neck.  One of the reporters noted, “That son-of-a-bitch should have been a song plugger!”   

Rix Gins

July 9, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., July 10, 1920.

Rix Gins

July 10, 1920.  Public Domain