Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

October 24, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 20, 2020, 08:39:57 AM
"Early attempts at establishing a C.H.A.Z. were disappointingly unsuccessful."

Now that is funny...  ;D

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 25, 1920.

Yet another Rock Islander escapes death.

Rix Gins

October 25, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 26, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 26, 1920.  Public Domain

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rikki Gins on October 25, 2020, 03:11:59 PM

Public Domain

I think I understand a little better why Jakstar is so messed up now.

ItsOver

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 26, 2020, 11:34:25 AM
I think I understand a little better why Jakstar is so messed up now.
Ha!  JAK OF STARS.   ;D

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 27, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 27, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 27, 2020, 01:14:53 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 27, 1920.

I'm sure they were just "peaceful" BLM activists.  ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on October 27, 2020, 01:37:39 AM
I'm sure they were just "peaceful" BLM activists.  ;)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the one officer's name.  Daebelliehn??

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 27, 2020, 01:46:35 AM

"John Prokosky, the youth burned while fighting in bed at 1109 Sixteenth avenue, East Moline, is also recovering."

Say what???

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 28, 1920.

Rix Gins

October 28, 1920.  Public Domain

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 27, 2020, 01:46:35 AM
A quick internet search shows a bunch of them and many appear to live around Moline, Illinois.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on October 28, 2020, 01:20:21 PM
A quick internet search shows a bunch of them and many appear to live around Moline, Illinois.

That's interesting.  I noticed an even 50 of them listed at Find A Grave, most of them, as you noted, from the Moline area. 

K_Dubb

A possible etymology if you put these two together:

https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Dabel#:~:text=The%20name%20%22Dabel%22%20derives%20from,mainly%20in%20the%20eastern%20counties.

Even if you say the "ae" makes this impossible since the names came over to English with a pronunciation closer to "double", suggesting an original "ah" rather than a written-out umlauted a ("dabble") the name "Daebel" is not unknown on its own and follows a pattern seen in the relatively common "Goebel".  Whereupon the -iehn becomes a patronymic suffix, among one of the variants listed in this discussion:

http://tolkniety.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-first-tolkiens-ever-and-suffix-ien.html

It is almost certainly German.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 28, 2020, 02:21:02 PM

https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Dabel#:~:text=The%20name%20%22Dabel%22%20derives%20from,mainly%20in%20the%20eastern%20counties.

Even if you say the "ae" makes this impossible since the names came over to English with a pronunciation closer to "double", suggesting an original "ah" rather than a written-out umlauted a ("dabble") the name "Daebel" is not unknown on its own and follows a pattern seen in the relatively common "Goebel".  Whereupon the -iehn becomes a patronymic suffix, among one of the variants listed in this discussion:

http://tolkniety.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-first-tolkiens-ever-and-suffix-ien.html

Fascinating, K.  It appears a variant of the name might have even made an appearance in your ancestor's neck of the woods.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 28, 2020, 02:21:02 PM

Interesting. For some reason it hit me as some kind of Welsh or Celtic name. But this was just at a glance and without looking anything up.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 28, 2020, 02:54:51 PM
Fascinating, K.  It appears a variant of the name might have even made an appearance in your ancestor's neck of the woods.

Yes!  That was the original route I went down since it is pretty clear the -iehn is a suffix; -el and -ell name endings are relatively common in the north where they are a legacy of abandoning the patronymic -sen/-son etc.  where the Latinate -elius was tacked onto some placename or other root like"Sibelius" from the farm Sibbe and the Swedish Nobel (originally Nobelius probably from "ny by" or "new town") where the -ius was dropped for convenience or just plain illiteracy, as was common back then.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on October 28, 2020, 02:57:47 PM
Interesting. For some reason it hit me as some kind of Welsh or Celtic name. But this was just at a glance and without looking anything up.

It does have that look but 1920 is pretty early for a Celtic-revival surname.  Much of what you see actually written in any of the Celtic languages is pretty recent since they were preserved mostly by illiterate bumpkins who couldn't spell anything at all and have inflicted their misery on the rest of us as revenge.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 28, 2020, 03:13:07 PM
It does have that look but 1920 is pretty early for a Celtic-revival surname.  Much of what you see actually written in any of the Celtic languages is pretty recent since they were preserved mostly by illiterate bumpkins who couldn't spell anything at all and have inflicted their misery on the rest of us as revenge.

I'm convinced the Welsh are just playing a big joke on people. No way those names and spellings are real.

English is fascinating as a language that it can be almost unintelligible based on class/area. I once made a mistake of talking to the actual factory workers in Glasgow and couldn't understand but a few words. Amazing. Even their line boss I called "Tom" for months, not knowing until I saw his name in print that it was "Tam" - as the diminutive Scottish for Thomas and like the Burns poem appropriate for Halloween.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on October 28, 2020, 03:46:46 PM

I'm convinced the Welsh are just playing a big joke on people. No way those names and spellings are real.

English is fascinating as a language that it can be almost unintelligible based on class/area. I once made a mistake of talking to the actual factory workers in Glasgow and couldn't understand but a few words. Amazing. Even their line boss I called "Tom" for months, not knowing until I saw his name in print that it was "Tam" - as the diminutive Scottish for Thomas and like the Burns poem appropriate for Halloween.

Haha yeah I don't know too much about Welsh but a cursory glance suggests that, like many of the Native languages around here, its invented orthography bears all the signs of earnest linguists meticulously transcribing the sounds emitted by the only speakers considered fluent at the time of their efforts, ancient crones with no teeth, facial palsies, and drinking problems.  I imagine if any of these venerable creatures ever heard their great-grandchildren proudly slurring and spitting in imitation they'd smack them across the face and tell them to speak clearly.

Ciardelo

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 28, 2020, 06:46:08 PM
Haha yeah I don't know too much about Welsh but a cursory glance suggests that, like many of the Native languages around here, its invented orthography bears all the signs of earnest linguists meticulously transcribing the sounds emitted by the only speakers considered fluent at the time of their efforts, ancient crones with no teeth, facial palsies, and drinking problems.  I imagine if any of these venerable creatures ever heard their great-grandchildren proudly slurring and spitting in imitation they'd smack them across the face and tell them to speak clearly.

You know @K_Dubb, I don't think it's been said enough here on BellGab, but just by your posts, you elevate our collective IQs by quite a bit.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 28, 2020, 08:28:02 PM
You know @K_Dubb, I don't think it's been said enough here on BellGab, but just by your posts, you elevate our collective IQs by quite a bit.

That is awfully kind of you Big C but I am so full of shit my eyes are brown.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 28, 2020, 06:46:08 PM
They can sometimes sing some fine songs though. Even if they offend Dutch interviewers by drinking gin, not water. And why would this offend Dutch? They invented gin (genever?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirutCHZ-QI 

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on October 28, 2020, 09:13:03 PM
They can sometimes sing some fine songs though. Even if they offend Dutch interviewers by drinking gin, not water. And why would this offend Dutch? They invented gin (genever?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirutCHZ-QI

Hahaha when the boys start singing Danny Boy it's time to go.

Point about the Celtic surnames is that if you look at the Irish revolutionaries around this period, for example, they all changed their names to sound Oirish and had perfectly normal names before that.  Just typical nationalist silliness.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., October 29, 1920.