• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 09, 2020, 01:24:01 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 09, 1920.

(During the Republican Presidential Convention in Chicago.  The effort to remove Johnson failed.)

That is wild! The baby being caught by the 'pilot' not the attempt to remove the Negro. That is like some kind of Harold Lloyd movie. I also find interesting that they call him a "pilot" not an "engineer."

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on June 10, 2020, 10:43:21 AM
That is wild! The baby being caught by the 'pilot' not the attempt to remove the Negro. That is like some kind of Harold Lloyd movie. I also find interesting that they call him a "pilot" not an "engineer."

A train “pilot” is the same thing as a cow catcher.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 10, 2020, 01:01:30 PM
A train “pilot” is the same thing as a cow catcher.
Ah, thanks. I did not know that. That makes a lot more sense. I was trying to figure how the baby could fly up and be caught by the engineer! Still a pretty crazy story and miracle. 

Rix Gins

June 11, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on June 10, 2020, 01:08:40 PM
Ah, thanks. I did not know that. That makes a lot more sense. I was trying to figure how the baby could fly up and be caught by the engineer! Still a pretty crazy story and miracle.

I'm kind of happy that info came out. I was wondering how the baby was thrown directly on the engine pilot and then "found" when the train stopped. I could not figure out how the engineer could not notice a flying baby tossed on him immediately.

The whole article now makes sense.

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on June 11, 2020, 03:21:09 AM
I'm kind of happy that info came out. I was wondering how the baby was thrown directly on the engine pilot and then "found" when the train stopped. I could not figure out how the engineer could not notice a flying baby tossed on him immediately.

The whole article now makes sense.

That baby was very lucky because a lot of 1920s locomotives didn't have cow catchers on the front.  I've noticed quite a few engines that look like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rVG8y2FVodA/U05DUb_MQDI/AAAAAAAAD1k/hEz-MO5La-c/s1600/P1070125blog.jpg

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 12, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 12, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

June 13, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 14, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 14, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 15, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 15, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

June 16, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram, June 17, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 17, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

June 18, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 17, 2020, 01:58:37 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram, June 17, 1920.

Fortunately, we now know what a "pilot" is. Might awkward to station your brakeman on your pilot otherwise.  ;)

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 12, 2020, 02:46:56 AM
That baby was very lucky because a lot of 1920s locomotives didn't have cow catchers on the front.  I've noticed quite a few engines that look like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rVG8y2FVodA/U05DUb_MQDI/AAAAAAAAD1k/hEz-MO5La-c/s1600/P1070125blog.jpg

I wonder if the ones out on the "main rails" were like that one where the ones more dedicated to switching in yards or city work would be equipped. i know safety was not really top concern back then- but it might make sense...

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on June 19, 2020, 01:42:27 AM
Fortunately, we now know what a "pilot" is. Might awkward to station your brakeman on your pilot otherwise.  ;)

Ha!  I wonder why the grasshoppers didn't fly away as the train approached?  And did the brakemen have to step off the pilot to do their sweeping, or did they do it on the go?

Rix Gins

June 19, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

June 20, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 21, 1920.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 22, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 22, 1920.  Public Domain

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 22, 2020, 02:00:51 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 22, 1920.

Crazy negro! He must’ve been high on the weed or sumpin.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 23, 1920.

Rix Gins

June 23, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 22, 2020, 02:00:51 AM

Infirmary Inmate? Needing permission to leave an infirmary? That just seems strange...

Also, he lived there for 10 years, and the only thing known about him is where he came from?

We are around 8 years too early for the "100 years ago" thread. But here is Louis Armstrong with what I have to assume was his tribute to poor Nelson Blundeen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcpUdBw7gs

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., June 24, 1920.