• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Quote from: che16 on November 04, 2013, 08:02:43 PM
DM had a decent number of subscribers

You don't know that, SiriusXM do not report on number of listeners per channel externally. This entire thing feels like a cop-out by Art, who asked for something outrageous from a business that runs on subscribers and leaving when he didn't get his way. We were duped, guys. Paying for a subscription and the equipment to hear Art Bell again for a promised three years, yet he barely made it six weeks. If nothing else, he owes every one of his fans an apology and not some half baked excuse about cell phones because - guess what? That's modern radio. Deal with it! I will not follow Art into whatever his next endeavor will be (should there be one) but as angry as I am about how he's handled this situation, I won't fall back into listening to Noory either. 

HumanBeing

Quote from: popple on November 05, 2013, 01:20:25 AM
Fix it, and Art does a FREE show on Fridays. FREE FRIDAY OPEN LINES! Streamed through artbell.com He said a free show would bring in more callers right?  8)

IDK I'm just grasping at things.

Yeah maybe if he lessened his stance and asked for 2 of the 4 nights to be free streaming. That might work.

Always overshoot what you would be willing to accept when you negotiate because heck you might get it... then you can 'appear' to go lower in the next offer and thus portray willingness and cooperation, so to speak, and have a greater chance maybe of the other side accepting the offer.. sounds evil and maybe stupid
haha  ;D

ajiav

LOL I just want to defend Stern a little.  His show is deeper than some of those examples might suggest, although I won't deny that's part of it.  It's an interesting psychodrama over time, and his interviewing chops are genuinely impressive.  Art was the first talk radio guy I got into at 16, Stern I started watching on E! around the same time and only got to listen to in the Sirius era.  Each impacted me in meaningful ways, though I would understand some incredulous reactions at that statement from a distance.

Quote from: littlechris on November 05, 2013, 01:48:03 AM
this just posted at artbell.com:

To All Our Fans, Listeners and Web Visitors

We are sorry that Dark Matter on SiriusXM has come to an abrupt end. We'll examine our options and may be able to return in a different format and medium.

In the mean time, ArtBell.com will still operate as long as financially possible, hoping for a workable solution to bring Art back to you, soon. Keep checking back here often.

Sounds like he may possibly go back on air, who knows.

Cross posted from the Art Bell thread:

"Can't say anything yet, stay tuned"

We played this game already.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ItsOver on November 05, 2013, 01:45:25 AM
This is like some kind of bizarro world Twilight Zone.  I never thought I'd become an Art "hater."  You did have some good points about Dave, though, SciFi.  Maybe he's not so bad after all.  :o

It does feel weird saying all of this. I just strive to be fair. That said, George Noory is the best chef in radio. He's the only one, and I'd sooner eat a tire than some of those recipes, but hey, damn it, that's not the point. I really think we can save this if we be positive and write SXM. Save Dark Matter.

littlechris

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 05, 2013, 01:41:27 AM
Whoa.  Ok, I love how life always brings along someone crazier than me.

I'm bummed.  Curiously hopeful.  But, it's not worth that, ffs.  Tell him to take his anger out on Sirius like an adult.

His wife actually called me VERY concerned about him. He leftthe house and she has been calling him but he wont answer, im on the phone with her right now and shes freaking out. im pretty concerned. hes had a lot of bad shit happen and i think this just may have been the final straw. gonne probably drive over there if he doesnt answer or call 911.  :-[

area51drone

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 05, 2013, 01:49:30 AM
I will not follow Art into whatever his next endeavor will be (should there be one)

Yes you will.  Because there is no other radio really worth listening to right now.

Morgus

A better approach might have been for Art to just take a hiatus (not quit) until Sirius makes their internet player and streaming provider more reliable, if that was the only problem.
However I didn't experience any internet streaming problems on my desktop or notebook PCs with the free trials I used in the past couple months.
The only dropout was if I was using my notebook PC via wifi listening in the kitchen and turned on my microwave (that interferes with the same wifi frequency)

Heather Wade

Quote from: ajiav on November 05, 2013, 01:50:04 AM
LOL I just want to defend Stern a little.  His show is deeper than some of those examples might suggest, although I won't deny that's part of it.  It's an interesting psychodrama over time, and his interviewing chops are genuinely impressive.  Art was the first talk radio guy I got into at 16, Stern I started watching on E! around the same time and only got to listen to in the Sirius era.  Each impacted me in meaningful ways, though I would understand some incredulous reactions at that statement from a distance.

Never heard of him.

ajiav

We are sorry that Dark Matter on SiriusXM has come to an abrupt end. We'll examine our options and may be able to return in a different format and medium.

In the mean time, ArtBell.com will still operate as long as financially possible, hoping for a workable solution to bring Art back to you, soon. Keep checking back here often.

I think he may find it even more of an uphill battle than what was possible within the existing infrastructure of Sirius.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 05, 2013, 01:44:33 AM
And what's that? I mean, if the medium can't deliver, then you can be god himself debating Einstein's corpse on the origin of the universe and still suck.

A zillion other hosts make due with the medium, but somehow it can't deliver when it's Art?  Doesn't wash at all, unless you're a hardcore apologist.  Plenty of people do a great fucking job engaging an audience, and delivering quality content on their own sites, with ustream, justin.tv, google hangouts, podcasting services...   

Quote from: ajiav on November 05, 2013, 01:50:04 AM

I'm actually a fan of Stern, I think a lot of the stuff that he does is quite funny and he makes for an interesting and articulate interview when he's into it. I'm a fan, I'll admit it.

But I'd rather have Art any day of the week.

phrodo

Saw that too and was gonna post it but ya beat me to it.

Doubt it would be 'on air' due to his 2 year no compete clause... surely SXM will be too butthurt to let him out of that. Likely only viable alternative would be indeed be 'a different format and medium' -- aka streaming online from his site only.

ItsOver

Christ. And I thought the schedule listing of "Ping" and "Pong" was a joke.   ::)

ajiav

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 05, 2013, 01:52:31 AM
I'm actually a fan of Stern, I think a lot of the stuff that he does is quite funny and he makes for an interesting and articulate interview when he's into it. I'm a fan, I'll admit it.

But I'd rather have Art any day of the week.

I feel you --- I think sometimes Howard Stern fans are in a naturally defensive position because in most cases, when you acknowledge you like him, you have to explain that "he's not what you think!"

I'd like them both on Sirius, honestly!

Falkie2013

Quote from: littlechris on November 05, 2013, 01:50:59 AM
His wife actually called me VERY concerned about him. He leftthe house and she has been calling him but he wont answer, im on the phone with her right now and shes freaking out. im pretty concerned. hes had a lot of bad shit happen and i think this just may have been the final straw. gonne probably drive over there if he doesnt answer or call 911.  :-[

Gee, can we now expect some DM listener to go out and shoot up Art's complex because this was the last straw ?

Or is this, as Hoagie said, time for all of us to feel like a limp noodle ?

HUGE GRUMP.

BULLSHIT IN THE DESERT.

dortmunder

Hmmm...I don't see it.

Heather Wade

Quote from: littlechris on November 05, 2013, 01:50:59 AM

Go get him, dude.  Talk him down.  Tell him Art is trying to find a way to do his show in a different way.
Go easy on him, I'm sure his heart is broken.  Not being sarcastic, have dealt with suicidal people.
Just help him get through the night, got any good old shows you two could listen to?  Idk... find him & let him vent.

Never leave a man behind.

littlechris

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 05, 2013, 01:55:49 AM
Gee, can we now expect some DM listener to go out and shoot up Art's complex because this was the last straw ?

Or is this, as Hoagie said, time for all of us to feel like a limp noodle ?

HUGE GRUMP.

BULLSHIT IN THE DESERT.

No, he was talking about hurting himself.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 05, 2013, 01:52:25 AM
A zillion other hosts make due with the medium, but somehow it can't deliver when it's Art?  Doesn't wash at all, unless you're a hardcore apologist.  Plenty of people do a great fucking job engaging an audience, and delivering quality content on their own sites, with ustream, justin.tv, google hangouts, podcasting services...

Yeah, but a zillion other hosts can deliver decent streaming audio. SXM apparently cannot. We've all seen that. It's not invented. The errors were real, Paul Bowman was here trying to address them. Well, they apparently were not addressed.

littlechris

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 05, 2013, 01:57:01 AM
Go get him, dude.  Talk him down.  Tell him Art is trying to find a way to do his show in a different way.
Go easy on him, I'm sure his heart is broken.  Not being sarcastic, have dealt with suicidal people.
Just help him get through the night, got any good old shows you two could listen to?  Idk... find him & let him vent.

Never leave a man behind.

Thanks bro. Talking to the wife right now, told her to tell him that he made a post on his site that hell probably be back. Ridiculous I know, but im not in his head.

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 05, 2013, 01:55:49 AM
BULLSHIT IN THE DESERT.

Brilliant.

Is another change in order?  BULLSHITINTHEDESERT is way catchier than BellGab.

Chad Jacobs

Plan to save show:
A. Stream the show from his website and charge fee for premium service with archives.

B.  Use clout of massive fan base to "gently" persuade Sirius not to bring breach of contract lawsuit (if his contract  is an issue).

C.  If Sirius cannot be dissuaded then use Kickstarter to raise money to "pay off Sirius" to let him out of contract.

D.  If Sirius prevails on the non compete clause (and cannot be bought) pull strings with powerful friends like Bigelow to nudge Sirius sat's out of orbit with super secret "UFO" tech or broadcast show from yacht in International waters and thus outside the reach of United States contract law.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 05, 2013, 01:59:12 AM
Yeah, but a zillion other hosts can deliver decent streaming audio. SXM apparently cannot. We've all seen that. It's not invented. The errors were real, Paul Bowman was here trying to address them. Well, they apparently were not addressed.

So how do other hosts on SXM manage pray tell?

HumanBeing

I'm wondering if someone doesn't like my posts here... someone tried to DoS attack me just then.
Thanks Kaspersky. Got to love Russian Technology.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 05, 2013, 02:02:04 AM
So how do other hosts on SXM manage pray tell?

Can't tell you, they apparently don't have streaming problems. Look, the errors weren't made up, you can see them in the live show threads.

gbneely

Quote from: Chad Jacobs on November 05, 2013, 02:01:06 AM
Plan to save show:
A. Stream the show from his website and charge fee for premium service with archives.

B.  Use clout of massive fan base to "gently" persuade Sirius not to bring breach of contract lawsuit (if his contract  is an issue).

C.  If Sirius cannot be dissuaded then use Kickstarter to raise money to "pay off Sirius" to let him out of contract.

D. Tell Art to honor his contract and work with Sirius behind the scenes to resolve any issues.