• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

paladin1991

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 14, 2015, 08:39:01 PM
Funny.. tonight is a 'live' chat
There is?  WTF?  Nobody likes me?  I didn't get the word.  Fuckin MV, he's out of my book.

Danger!UFO

Art, will there be a weekend version of Midnight in the Desert?

Catsmile

Quote from: indigoo on April 14, 2015, 09:11:56 PM
You sure? This reads as if someone wanting to include the codec in their software need to pay, which is obvious. The very last line even says "content owners are not required to pay license fees to distribute content in HE AAC".

My point was about hardware and software creators having to pay for HE AAC. Hence it may be less supported than MP3, that cost noting to implement in hardware and software. Not about content creators. Content creators pay for HE AAC when they buy the hardware or sofware that encodes content to AAC.

indigoo

Quote from: Catsmile on April 14, 2015, 09:30:30 PM
My point was about hardware and software creators having to pay for HE AAC. Hence it may be less supported than MP3, that cost noting to implement in hardware and software. Not about content creators.

Fair enough, but I've never had a problem playing any AAC/HE AAC file. It's supported by paid/freeware software alike. So I just misread the context.

deadmeow

If there are issues involving AAC+, another option could be to split the difference and use regular AAC 48k.

Heather Wade

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2015, 03:48:23 PM
Paging (Redacted); I have nominated you for the position of Planning Czar for the first and only annual Midnight In The Desert Rat Roast And Scorpion Smokeout Invitational. If asked, we never talked about this. So let's meet up at the secret undisclosed porch to not talk about it some more soon.

Copy that.  Fast movers are in motion & on the loose.  Water the marigolds on Friday.  This message will self-destruct in... well... that's classified.

aldousburbank

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 14, 2015, 09:28:19 PM
There is?  WTF?  Nobody likes me?  I didn't get the word.  Fuckin MV, he's out of my book.
You didn't get the PM?

Heather Wade

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2015, 02:50:26 PM
Dave's not home.

And the lights burned out long ago....

sorefinger

Quote from: Art Bell on April 14, 2015, 07:54:46 PM
Are we back up? Ok, looks like we are. Does anybody know about 32Kbps AAC+ ? I have been told it can sound every bit as good as regular 64 and would sure save Bandwidth. Something we are looking into.

Art

AAC is a variable bit rate.  Whenever I'm listening to it, my indicator fluctuates from 20kb up to 37kb or so.  My guess is that for voice it's down around 20 but when music is added, it jumps up to 37kb.  ACC is an option on some old software I have, so it can't be all that new.

YNOT

Quote from: VegasI15 on April 14, 2015, 01:43:24 PM
64k does not drain battery life "considerably faster" than 32k.   In fact the difference (especially in newer phones) is negligible.  If your phone battery can't last 3 hours streaming audio, you need to replace either your phone or battery.     

As far as bandwidth goes.  64kbps = 500KB/min = 30MB/hr  So assuming you only use your smart phones data plan and listen 5 days a week thats 150MB/wk or 600/MB month.  Really not much as you can use more bandwidth watching a single Youtube.

In any case if bandwidth is that big of a problem, use wi-fi as much as possible.  Or just listen using your PC.  The tune-in page works great on your PC browser also.   64k is more than reasonable in today's high speed environment.

Your calculations are 150MB/wk which would be at 30MB/hr is 1 hour each of those five days.....Art's show alone will be three hours which brings that up to
450MB a week or about 1.8GB a month. For some users that, along with their other usage, might go over their plan.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: coaster on April 14, 2015, 08:31:54 PM
Well you know once that twat George finds out the good news, hes gonna try to crap all over it again. Its what he does.

Hope so... all the more fun!

paladin1991

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2015, 09:39:19 PM
You didn't get the PM?
fuck me!  No.  somebody hand me a spliff and 4 fingers of Scotch. 

sorefinger

Quote from: VegasI15 on April 14, 2015, 03:13:42 PM
You are right in terms of time used.  Like I clearly stated 64k vs. 32k affect on battery life is negligible.   

And I'm not trying to preach, just trying to be friendly and explain.   I'm trying to figure out how I insulted you....   

First, my battery easily lasts throughout the night and into the morning whenever I'm listening to 32 KB or less.  Not so with 64, in which case I'm lucky to make it to 3 a.m. before my smart phone shuts off.

Try it for yourself before telling me I need a new phone or new battery.

phrodo

Quote from: sorefinger on April 14, 2015, 09:53:56 PM

First, my battery easily lasts throughout the night and into the morning

Then why do you have a sorefinger?

PrairieGhost

Mobile users shouldn't have a problem with data if they can tap into a wifi hotspot or their own home LAN wifi spot.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Danger!UFO on April 14, 2015, 09:29:50 PM
Art, will there be a weekend version of Midnight in the Desert?

Hey Art can you do a 24/7 version of Midnight in the Desert in discreet 4 channel quadraphonic?

sorefinger

Quote from: phrodo on April 14, 2015, 09:58:22 PM
Then why do you have a sorefinger?

Well, if you had a smartphone, which requires only one finger to operate, you'd have a sore finger, too.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: WhiteCrow on April 14, 2015, 09:45:51 PM
Hope so... all the more fun!

The fun part will be when Dave is finally unemployed. Hell for all the affiliates they have (mostly from Arts hard work) their numbers suck... and will get worse once the man returns. I predict Dave will get really desperet in the coming days, and that will be fun to read about on here.

WOTR

Quote from: Art Bell on April 14, 2015, 03:08:05 PM
Midnight in the Desert is on the way! It is official now, Starting in late July we will begin streaming a full show from Mon-Fri 9PM- 12AM P.T. It will come to you Worldwide on the Internet in 64Kbps Stereo on Tune In which has a free app available for download right now.

Keith and myself have come to a agreement and the main Studio gear has been ordered. There is a great deal of work ahead and all of you who are friends and fans will have to help out when the time comes by spreading the word far and wide.

Wanna Take a Ride?

Art Bell
This is what I wanted to log into... Skipping the "big player" and proving that one man (with a small team) can take over the internets and put a dent in the multi million dollar juggernaut of terrestrial radio should be interesting to watch.

This means that we all have to exit the present roller coaster and move over to the larger, more exciting long term ride of MITD?  I'm about ready...

sorefinger

Quote from: PrairieGhost on April 14, 2015, 09:59:15 PM
Mobile users shouldn't have a problem with data if they can tap into a wifi hotspot or their own home LAN wifi spot.

You are right.  However, everyone else is up the creek, right?

Even if I had the option, I wouldn't tap into a public wifi, given identity theft and hacking is epidemic.  At least I wouldn't do it without a second smartphone that has been stripped of all personal data.  Logging into a public wi-fi network is like going into a whore house without condoms.

DesertFox

Glad we're back on--thought for a while there that Art's announcement broke the internet!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Art Bell on April 14, 2015, 03:58:11 PM
Looks like Live Stream with music, Podcast without music. That is the standard everywhere.

Art

Will there be an on demand stream with music?

WOTR

Quote from: Art_s Farts on April 14, 2015, 03:37:05 PM
From the City of Angels near the Pacific Ocean Dave just shit his pants
I don't know why this post made my night.  It comes in right below Art's announcement in terms of making me smile.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: sorefinger on April 14, 2015, 10:20:38 PM
You are right.  However, everyone else is up the creek, right?

Even if I had the option, I wouldn't tap into a public wifi, given identity theft and hacking is epidemic.  At least I wouldn't do it without a second smartphone that has been stripped of all personal data.  Logging into a public wi-fi network is like going into a whore house without condoms.

Or you could just make those finger(s) really sore. No condoms needed, and besides that JC would frown on such usage... and send you to the boiling pits of sewage.

ge30542

Quote from: MV on April 14, 2015, 10:26:38 PM
Will there be an on demand stream with music?
Okay, so, for the nights I work, what do I need to be able to "record" the live show,( with music). Does tune in pro allow for recording, does c crane sell a device? I know the tech folks will have an answer for me, thanks.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DesertFox on April 14, 2015, 10:23:45 PM
Glad we're back on--thought for a while there that Art's announcement broke the internet!

I did a clean installation of the forum software. Hopefully everything is working OK. There are probably a couple broken things here or there, but that'll get worked out. After almost eight years and many modifications of the forum's code, it was time to make everything clean and lean. Goddamn thing should run better than ever.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: MV on April 14, 2015, 10:46:11 PM
I did a clean installation of the forum software. Hopefully everything is working OK. There are probably a couple broken things here or there, but that'll get worked out. After almost eight years and many modifications of the forum's code, it was time to make everything clean and lean. Goddamn thing should run better than ever.

Thank you. Works and looks good.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: MV on April 14, 2015, 10:46:11 PM

There is a lot of suck here, but most it is Dave Noorie's fault.

cosmotherobot

Quote from: ge30542 on April 14, 2015, 10:40:30 PM
Okay, so, for the nights I work, what do I need to be able to "record" the live show,( with music). Does tune in pro allow for recording, does c crane sell a device? I know the tech folks will have an answer for me, thanks.
Tunein Pro app allows recording but I don't think it has scheduling so you need to manually start the show and tap record.

aldousburbank

Quote from: cosmotherobot on April 14, 2015, 10:52:56 PM
Tunein Pro app allows recording but I don't think it has scheduling so you need to manually start the show and tap record.
Damn what a hassle.