• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

jazmunda

Quote from: phrodo on April 15, 2015, 01:08:30 AM
.... since the site's hamster swap (or was it a declawed gerbil).   ???

fixed

Disheartened

Quote from: MV on April 15, 2015, 12:15:48 AM
Rather than monkey with aac+ I'd probably just stream at 32Kbps mono mp3 because that's effectively the same quality as 64Kbps stereo mp3 which is plenty for human voice. Remember... we first heard Art on AM radio and the quality of that was just fine. I'd be totally satisfied with 32Kbps mono mp3.

I agree. I also started listening to The Art Bell Show on a portable AM radio. As long as I can understand what is being said I'm ok with it. I might also point out that a lot of people have data cap limits so maybe I lower bit rate for the free stream might be advantageous. I know people had problems listening to Art when he was on Sirius/XM because of their data cap. They had to pick and choose what shows to listen to.

I'd listen on a tin can attached by string to Art's house if that was the only way I hear the show.

akwilly

Quote from: jazmunda on April 15, 2015, 12:02:38 AM
I work at Play Girl. May I post?  8)
I've always considered Hough Heffner a national treasure but I still get confused that playboy has got women and playgirl has dudes, so no please dont jaz

coaster

I spent the last few hours cleaning the ole hard drive. Found a few files on there I was gonna send to Art back in the dark matter days. Thought I'd share one before they get tossed with the rest of the clutter. I still remember how hard this p.o.s was to render. Figure I'll make a few Midnight In The Desert pictures before July rolls around.

dan7800

Quote from: Disheartened on April 15, 2015, 01:11:06 AM
I agree. I also started listening to The Art Bell Show on a portable AM radio. As long as I can understand what is being said I'm ok with it.

I agree. I remember listening to shows over a crappy AM radio connection.  Start slow & cheap. Like any business, it will have rough patches early on. I think Piracy will be the biggest factor you deal with and really believe there needs to be a plan in place of how to live with it.

Oh, by the way..... What about signed pictures Art?  8)  I will pay the year in advance right now.

dan7800

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 14, 2015, 09:11:38 PM
'So get ready for that.'

I'd LOVE to interview Dave. I'd do such a crappy job as an interviewer. I'd show up drunk and ask him about irrelevant questions and make it clear I wasn't paying attention to him.

Give him a dose of his own medicine.

Quote from: dan7800 on April 15, 2015, 03:38:48 AM
I agree. I remember listening to shows over a crappy AM radio connection.  Start slow & cheap. Like any business, it will have rough patches early on. I think Piracy will be the biggest factor you deal with and really believe there needs to be a plan in place of how to live with it.

Oh, by the way..... What about signed pictures Art?  8)  I will pay the year in advance right now.
yes, specifically youtube. Darkmatter was posted there the day after. John B wells had a similar problem but has seemingly fixed it. When Caravan to Midnight first started it was posted to youtube the day after every show, I know he commented how difficult it was to put a stop to it, but he did.

Aussie Dave

Crikey! This is awesome news Art.

laserjock

I really hope Art offers a low bit rate version because I'm on my sibling's cell plan and we have a limited data plan that I share with her.  Also, sometimes Tune In won't work with the Art Bell Pirate streams currently playing, like right now (Wednesday morning).  And only one of the streams works in firefox but 3 work in Google Chrome? 

Art, I will very happily budget 5 bucks and would pay more even, but budgeting is a challenge.  Personally I think $5.95 with options such as music included would be cool.  However, the important thing is just getting it going and you can upgrade/change offerings after the cast has been running for a while, don't do it all on the first shot, keep people anticipating bigger and better stuff.

ge30542

I Goggled, " can I record with tune in pro", and got a page titled, "How do I use the Record Timer feature?",
which talks about scheduling recording, selecting recurring days / times of the week, etc.
Sounds like exactly what I need.  I work over nights, and wish to hear AB WITH music.
I could select "record" on my smartphone while at work, but using 4G, wouldn't that quickly burn my monthly 1 gig data plan?
Sounds like I'll be able to schedule recordings all week, at home over WiFi, while I'm away from home, by upgrading to Tune In Pro.

Quote from: ge30542 on April 15, 2015, 06:27:57 AM
I Goggled, " can I record with tune in pro", and got a page titled, "How do I use the Record Timer feature?",
which talks about scheduling recording, selecting recurring days / times of the week, etc.
Sounds like exactly what I need.  I work over nights, and wish to hear AB WITH music.
I could select "record" on my smartphone while at work, but using 4G, wouldn't that quickly burn my monthly 1 gig data plan?
Sounds like I'll be able to schedule recordings all week, at home over WiFi, while I'm away from home, by upgrading to Tune In Pro.

You still going to subscribe right?

Quote from: laserjock on April 15, 2015, 05:37:24 AM
I really hope Art offers a low bit rate version because I'm on my sibling's cell plan and we have a limited data plan that I share with her.  Also, sometimes Tune In won't work with the Art Bell Pirate streams currently playing, like right now (Wednesday morning).  And only one of the streams works in firefox but 3 work in Google Chrome? 

Art, I will very happily budget 5 bucks and would pay more even, but budgeting is a challenge.  Personally I think $5.95 with options such as music included would be cool.  However, the important thing is just getting it going and you can upgrade/change offerings after the cast has been running for a while, don't do it all on the first shot, keep people anticipating bigger and better stuff.
Can you connect to wifi to stream you wouldn't be using data then.

ge30542

Oh yes, I'm absolutely gonna give my money to AB.
I may purchase 2 subscriptions, and give one to Laserjock. His self described financial situation tugs at my heart strings, and brings tears to my eyes.
I desperately want Art friggin' Bell to take my money.
Thing is, I work overnight Sun-Mon-Tue-Wed. Since I want the show "with music", I'll need to record on M-T-& W.
Yes, sounds like I can record, at home, over WiFi, while I'm at work.

Quote from: ge30542 on April 15, 2015, 07:06:53 AM
I may purchase 2 subscriptions, and give one to Laserjock. His self described financial situation tugs at my heart strings, and brings tears to my eyes.
Thing is, I work overnight Sun-Mon-Tue-Wed. Since I want the show "with music", I'll need to record on M-T-& W.
Yeah great. I think I am going to get two subscriptions too.
It's fine to record it if you have a subscription but might want to keep it quiet.

sorefinger

Art, will TuneIn be the exclusive distributor?

I don't think I have mentioned this before, but I use an older version of TuneIn, because all later versions of the app are resource and battery hogs, which rob extra bandwidth by continually streaming adverts to your screen, even when you're not looking at the screen.  In fact, many of my apps are older versions -- lean and mean. 

Yes, the smartphone is replacing the radio, but that doesn't mean everyone will download bloatware like TuneIn or apps that waste bandwith in the background.  People on the go all have smartphones, which are on 24/7 -- never turned off.  A smartphone owner's life resolves around battery drain.  A student, for example, needs enough battery life to make it to all the classes because there's no time or place to recharge the battery.  The last thing a person on the go needs is an app that recklessly drains his battery, much less robs his bandwidth.

When it comes to internet radio, the world does not revolve around TuneIn.  People need multiple options, to keep greed and monopoly in check.

sorefinger

Preview, when posting, no longer has word wrap.  Once a post is live, however, word wrap is fine.

ge30542

Quote from: sorefinger on April 15, 2015, 07:13:41 AM
Art, will TuneIn be the exclusive distributor?

I don't think I have mentioned this before, but I use an older version of TuneIn, because all later versions of the app are resource and battery hogs, which rob extra bandwidth by continually streaming adverts to your screen, even when you're not looking at the screen. 

My understanding of the upgrade to "Tune In PRO", (for a one time of $ 9.99), is without the ads.
Also, I saw moments ago on C Crane .com, a WiFi Internet radio with FM, etc, which comes with built in Tune In app.

Danger!UFO

Quote from: ge30542 on April 15, 2015, 07:23:31 AM
My understanding of the upgrade to "Tune In PRO", (for a one time of $ 9.99), is without the ads.
Also, I saw moments ago on C Crane .com, a WiFi Internet radio with FM, etc, which comes with built in Tune In app.

Hhhmmm....A match made in heaven......er, the Desert!

Sounds like C. Crane will have a tie-in product to sell on Art's new show.  ;)

Art, (and everyone) check this out.

Actually, I may look into that.

http://www.ccrane.com/WiFi-Internet-Radios-1/CC-WiFi-2-Cherry-Wood-Internet-Radio-w-TuneIn-Bluetooth-and-FM

And tell 'em Art Bell sent you!  :)

BellGab, too!

Albemuth

Quote from: Danger!UFO on April 15, 2015, 08:02:33 AM

http://www.ccrane.com/WiFi-Internet-Radios-1/CC-WiFi-2-Cherry-Wood-Internet-Radio-w-TuneIn-Bluetooth-and-FM

And tell 'em Art Bell sent you!  :)

BellGab, too!

That is a sweet looking wifi radio…Think I need it… Thanks for posting this!

Quote from: Albemuth on April 15, 2015, 08:28:52 AM
That is a sweet looking wifi radio…Think I need it… Thanks for posting this!
It's cool but your smart phone will do the same thing. You could always buy a Blue tooth speaker for better sound quality.

Albemuth

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 15, 2015, 08:33:17 AM
It's cool but your smart phone will do the same thing. You could always buy a Blue tooth speaker for better sound quality.

I still have one of those (Star Trek-like) flip phones… I’m a bit of a luddite…I like the C.Crane radio, now it’s just a matter of squirreling away the money for it…

jimg

Quote from: coaster on April 15, 2015, 02:50:14 AM
I spent the last few hours cleaning the ole hard drive. Found a few files on there I was gonna send to Art back in the dark matter days. Thought I'd share one before they get tossed with the rest of the clutter. I still remember how hard this p.o.s was to render. Figure I'll make a few Midnight In The Desert pictures before July rolls around.

That's rad!

sorefinger

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 15, 2015, 08:33:17 AM

Ya, and if you do not have a smartphone yet, you can pick one up for $19.95 in any dollar store, download TuneIn radio, and now you have a WiFi radio.  And you don't even need a data plan.  Knowing this, no one would spend $159 for a WiFi radio at CC crane, one you can't even put in your pocket and carry with you.

Danger!UFO

Quote from: sorefinger on April 15, 2015, 09:13:25 AM
Ya, and if you do not have a smartphone yet, you can pick one up for $19.95 in any dollar store, download TuneIn radio, and now you have a WiFi radio.  And you don't even need a data plan.  Knowing this, no one would spend $159 for a WiFi radio at CC crane, one you can't even put in your pocket and carry with you.

I use my iPod to listen to Tunein and the DMRN. Works great. I plug it into my stereo or a portable boombox stereo.

But...it is nice to have a stand alone radio that you could just turn on and already be connected to the internet. I guess it just depends on how much time you spend at home. It's a convienance thing, too.

That being said I don't understand why you would watch a movie or TV show on a small portable device if you have the option to watch it on a TV, especially a large screen.

I understand that many younger people are always on the go, maybe live in an apartment with no tv (they can watch on their portable device). I think the younger generation have grown up with portale devices and thats what they are used to.

And yes, cost is a factor.

My mom is in her eighties. She's a good Catholic and she loves shows about UFO's.  She loves listening to Art Bell! (I'll play recordings) George, too. George helps her fall asleep.  ::) If this stand alone radio is easy to operate I'm hooking her up in July! Hopefully with the preset she can just turn it on and the DMRN will be playing.

paladin1991

Quote from: Nick el Ass on April 14, 2015, 10:07:56 PM
The fun part will be when Dave is finally unemployed. Hell for all the affiliates they have (mostly from Arts hard work) their numbers suck... and will get worse once the man returns. I predict Dave will get really desperet in the coming days, and that will be fun to read about on here.
Oh, the glorious dayz to come!

laserjock

No, don't do that, sorry I mentioned it.  I don't want anyone's help, but it's a kind thought.

Danger!UFO

Hi Art

I have a suggestion for your new show:

Would You Baptize an Extraterrestrial?: . . . and Other Questions from the Astronomers' In-box at the Vatican Observatory
Hardcover â€" October 7, 2014
by Guy Consolmagno SJ (Author),  Paul Mueller (Author)

Review
From Publishers Weekly
Who knew that the Vatican owned an observatory run by Jesuit scientists? Consolmagno, an astronomer who studied at MIT, and Mueller, with a doctorate in the history and philosophy of science from the University of Chicago, are brilliant scientists and theologians, and they both possess a slightly irreverent and refreshing sense of humor. The authors attempt to highlight how the perceived conflict between religion and science is severely overblown. To do this they employ a dialogue format, which works for a while but ultimately becomes tired. The content, however, is absolutely enlightening. Some of the topics the authors tackle include the Galileo controversy, an explanation for the star of Bethlehem, and the discrepancies between the book of Genesis and the big bang theory. Heady stuff for sure, but the casual writing style makes for an enjoyable learning experience. An excellent primer for anyone remotely interest in building a bridge between religious faith and scientific investigation.

"I can’t think of two people better suited to address some essential questions about science that Christians get asked (and ask themselves) on a regular basis. How can you reconcile the Big Bang theory with the belief in God as the Creator of the universe? Is the Catholic Church really against science? Can a scientific person be a believer? Can a believer look to science for answers that religion cannot provide? And what really happened with Galileo? These two talented Jesuit scientists answer these and many more of the most persistent questions about science and religion, in this fascinating, inviting, and frankly necessary new book."
â€"James Martin, SJ, author of The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything

About the Author
BROTHER GUY CONSOLMAGNO, SJ was born in Detroit, Michigan, earned undergraduate and masters' degrees in Earth and Planetary Sciences from MIT (in 1974 and 1975), and a Ph. D. in Planetary Science from the University of Arizona in 1978. He worked as a post-doctoral fellow and lecturer at Harvard University's Department of Astronomy, and MIT's Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences; served in the US Peace Corps, teaching physics at the University of Nairobi; and was a physics professor at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania, before entering the Jesuits as a brother in 1989. At the Vatican Observatory since 1993, his research explores connections between meteorites, asteroids, and the evolution of small solar system bodies.

FATHER PAUL R. MUELLER, SJ is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. He attended a Jesuit high school and earned a degree in physics at Boston University before entering the Society of Jesus in 1982. As part of his Jesuit training, he earned masters degrees in both philosophy and theology, along the way developing an interest in religion-science issues. After being ordained a priest in 1993, he attended the University of Chicago, where he completed a third masters degree (in physics) and a doctorate in the history and philosophy of science through the interdisciplinary program in Conceptual Historical Studies of Science.

http://www.amazon.com/Would-You-Baptize-Extraterrestrial-Astronomers/dp/0804136955

I guess I can email your producer Dr. J when you're back on the air. Interesting topic(s). Maybe you'll get them to share some new Vatican secrets?!!

kennedymaure

Oh yeah, I'm paying. Now he has to stay alive long enough to broadcast... Come on Art, you can do it!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: sorefinger on April 15, 2015, 09:13:25 AM

call bob in the morning.