• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Catsmile

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on April 17, 2015, 06:06:55 PM
When the old ladies bombard the Wormhole with messages that their aac+ stream doesn't work, will Art give Keith an all or nothing ultimatum?

DONKEY PUNCH!

wr250

Quote from: Morgus on April 17, 2015, 04:33:21 PM
since the podcasts won't have any bumper music, 128k stereo would be way overkill for mono talk only.
32k mono would be plenty for that and allow fast downloading.

i agree wholeheartedly. but it seems that there is an ever-growing trend of podcasters insisting on 128k or higher for talk. this includes our very own spec sheet and gabcast.

/*edit*/
Art, we would listen to you on any medium, cans and strings, shortwave with severe sunspots,and so forth.

aldousburbank

Quote from: wr250 on April 17, 2015, 06:26:10 PM
i agree wholeheartedly. but it seems that there is an ever-growing trend of podcasters insisting on 128k or higher for talk. this includes our very own spec sheet and gabcast.
Bitrate Bitches

Morgus

yep i've noticed that on many podcasts, and always thought it was a total waste of such high bitrate and large file downloading size for long talk shows.
If they really thought it out in detail, they should realize there is no need for higher than 32K for talk show podcasts.

laserjock

I think the key here is to offer choices.  Some people use iOS devices, some Android, some Windows.  Some people have to worry about Data usage caps or listen with crap IEMs (earphones for those of you in Sioux Falls), or crappy laptop speakers.  Sure, better broadcast sound will still matter, but matter less (less benefit).  I've got a 4 year old Android Tablet, a 4 year old iPhone, a recently upgraded desktop, and a 2 and a half year old laptop, so I can test various different things.  I almost never use the tablet, I just got it for this very reason (in case I'd ever need something Android) and I hope my next phone is an Android (I detest my iPhone, I detest the Apple way of doing things, when I worked at the national labs I had to use an Apple computer and hated it), but I might have to wait another year before getting a new phone, so it's a moot issue.  Basically, I'm an agnostic (except for my feeling annoyed with iOS and iTunes) as far as systems go, if I had my way, I'd be able to build my own tablet and use a distro of Linux (yes, Android is somewhat based on it, but I mean a more direct version).  Oh, yes, I like SuSE and Mint, FWIW, and yes, I'm a KDE dope, I like it, even if some will make fun of me for not using a more 133t interface.

Catsmile

Quote from: laserjock on April 17, 2015, 06:12:51 PM
If that comment is in reference to ME and my having problems with the various Art Bell casts, I am NOT a computer idiot, I resent your assertion.  I've been using the internet long before the Web existed, I build my own systems, repair other people's systems for free as a hobby, and even have done some coding.

There is some less obvious reason for the problems, and I know about downloading and installing stuff like w32codecs, sir.  I suspect IP blocking or something else, because the dark matter network works (with just the exception of one time the other day).  I have more than one computer to test on from this IP, and yes, it's true, I don't have the budget to do much, but recently built a fresh Devil's Canyon Build, it took my tax refund to do it.  My 2 and a half year old laptop has the same problem, sometimes the streams don't work, or won't work in firefox (and yes, I do run noscript, but I can, of course, disable it)...

I daresay there's even a chance I know more about what I am doing than you do, so stop making assumptions.

I wasn't singling you out, if you bothered to read more post you would know that, but if the shoe fits wear it.

Yet for all your amazing knowledge and Computer-Fu, you ask others if the stream is down? Meanwhile I can stream the pirated C2C Art Bell streams, if they are actually streaming. I don't need to ask others if the servers are down. Why is that? Because I can internet, which is something you don't seem to be able to do. "I was on my phone" is weak sauce and no excuse. Please do keep telling me how knowledgeable about IT you are, as you seem to enjoy telling others how brilliant you are. Meanwhile your actions seem to speak otherwise. Sadly, telling people how smart you are doesn't make it a reality. So in conclusion my Computer-Fu is better than your Computer-Fu. For whatever thats worth.   

ge30542

Play nice boys. If not, Mr. Bell will come over & pick up your toys and give them to the homeless children.

Heather Wade

...and maybe at gunpoint.  He is armed, after all.

Catsmile

Quote from: ge30542 on April 17, 2015, 07:08:58 PM
Play nice boys. If not, Mr. Bell will come over & pick up your toys and give them to the homeless children.

Sorry, every post can't be about hugging Art's nuts, in 20 words, or less.
I don't think being sycophantic will buy me any favor with Art. Nor would I want it, if it did.
I'm a man that can care for my own toys as I see fit, thanks.   

laserjock

I'll play nice, but he shure acts like a jerk, and doesn't know what an apology is.

laserjock

Quote from: ge30542 on April 17, 2015, 07:08:58 PM

That's cool, I've done volunteer work for children, I'll support that!

ge30542

Show Topic for MITD.
Genetics. Lots of fascinating work being done.
Example, Geneticists believe they've isolated a gene found in homosexual men, NOT found in heterosexual men.
They're calling it the "Judy Garland" gene. Truly fascinating! Could be a great show!

cweb

Quote from: Morgus on April 17, 2015, 06:32:33 PM
yep i've noticed that on many podcasts, and always thought it was a total waste of such high bitrate and large file downloading size for long talk shows.
If they really thought it out in detail, they should realize there is no need for higher than 32K for talk show podcasts.
Yep. Though I am in the same boat as wr (and most others, probably)-- whatever Art broadcasts, I'll find a way to listen to.

I just hope podcasters don't go nuts and start spitting out high-bitrate 5.1ch streams, haha. I don't need to hear you put down your damn coffee cup from behind my couch!  :)

laserjock

I think the idea here is no upgrade for the sake of upgrade, but if it's really appropriate for the product.

Danger!UFO

Quote from: (Redacted) on April 17, 2015, 07:10:00 PM

nbirnes

Quote from: ge30542 on April 17, 2015, 07:28:17 PM
Show Topic for MITD.
Genetics. Lots of fascinating work being done.
Example, Geneticists believe they've isolated a gene found in homosexual men, NOT found in heterosexual men.
They're calling it the "Judy Garland" gene. Truly fascinating! Could be a great show!
There is a great thread devoted to just this idea: http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,7497.0.html. Let me apologize right here for my long stream of comments, but the thread is really good and you should start from page 1.

Catsmile

Quote from: laserjock on April 17, 2015, 07:23:31 PM
I'll play nice, but he shure acts like a jerk, and doesn't know what an apology is.

Just because I say things you don't like, I act like a jerk? There was nothing you need to apologize for, as I was not singling you out. You felt the need address me, and to share how amazing your Computer-Fu was. Which I in turn pointed out the flaw of your great IT prowess.

If you didn't think the world revolves around you, because you are obviously so important and intelligent. You would not have made a even bigger fool of yourself by assuming I was referring to you specifically. I could have been the bigger man and let it go yet again, but I couldn't resist popping your bubble. Once again, you're not as important or bright as you believe.

Turnabout being fair play.
Man, you overshare all kinds of personal things that I may not like, but I generally let it pass.
Seems you are vying to be the forums next Falkie2013. 

laserjock

Let it go?  Like you are God?  I might overshare, but you seem to have I high opinion of yourself.

Danger!UFO

Quote from: (Redacted) on April 17, 2015, 07:10:00 PM

Well....

laserjock

Well, in any event, I'm done with this argument.  Sorry for oversharing guys, I just treat strangers that way, I've been told that I never met a stranger.

Catsmile

Quote from: laserjock on April 17, 2015, 08:24:55 PM
Let it go?  Like you are God?  I might overshare, but you seem to have I high opinion of yourself.

Yes, I mostly don't reply to your personal narrative. I "let it pass." "Let it pass, Let it go", is a turn of phrase; meaning I don't comment.

I'm just a nobody who got on the intertubes yesterday, who just so happens not to have VERY basic problems surfing it. If thats such a high bar... so be it.

Again if you didn't ASSUME I was talking about YOU, and made a fool of yourself, I wouldn't have addressed YOU as the foolish person you are. If treating someone who acts as a fool, like a fool; makes me a high opinionated jerk... so be it.     

WhiteCrow

Quote from: MV on April 17, 2015, 02:26:55 PM

you've got enough to worry about without spending time helping people connect to the stream.

Yep keep it simple...  ...get it up and running... can fine tune latter on.

Catsmile

Quote from: laserjock on April 17, 2015, 08:54:21 PM
Well, in any event, I'm done with this argument.  Sorry for oversharing guys, I just treat strangers that way, I've been told that I never met a stranger.

Yes, they are trying to tell you in the "non-jerk" way, you overshare.
Yet you don't seem to catch on... so they endure it... until they can get away.

sydtron

No worries everybody!  Just remember. THERE WILL BE A SHOW TO LISTEN TO! Big picture!
It will all work out the way it's supposed to.  The better bitrate might be fun if say he does a show on EVP's. Or DARE I SAY IT?? reverse speech.  What kind of encoding does Skype have? I though that sounded awesome. Like Jazmunda was right in the studio with Art.   

PING

Quote from: cweb on April 17, 2015, 07:31:41 PM
Yep. Though I am in the same boat as wr (and most others, probably)-- whatever Art broadcasts, I'll find a way to listen to.

I just hope podcasters don't go nuts and start spitting out high-bitrate 5.1ch streams, haha. I don't need to hear you put down your damn coffee cup from behind my couch!  :)

I'll usually listen to the old AB shows through earphones. On some shows,  I swear every so often I heard a *CLICK* of what sounded like a lighter. I assumed since Art said he could go through almost a pock a show it was him firing up yet another smoke. Hope the new show has that good audio.

Anyone else ever notice?

DesertFox

Just saw the Who tonight--they were still great.  Pete and Roger are about the same age as Art and like Art they are still going strong.

So long live rock and long live Art Bell...I need it everyday.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Daggit on April 17, 2015, 03:37:19 PM
I'm sure Keith will be able to handle those in a polite, customer service focused way.

heh heh

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: inuk2600 on April 17, 2015, 04:52:10 PM
LOL! She would call the show live to ask Art how to play it. Whistling through her dentures to be sure.
In my mind's eye she is also saying the word sarsaparilla.

heh heh

MV/Liberace!

i agree wholeheartedly. but it seems that there is an ever-growing trend of podcasters insisting on 128k or higher for talk. this includes our very own spec sheet and gabcast

When you have only 11 listeners, you can be wasteful.

basswood

This guy is highly motivated for Midnight in the Desert. Or maybe not. It works.

http://youtu.be/GRXOQ-V2Mco