• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

serenity

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 01, 2015, 06:19:36 AM
Are we talking about women or radio sir? ;)

I think so?  My favorite color? red.....NO BLUE....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh!

What were we talking about?  ::)

"May we never go to Hell but may we always be on the way"

chefist

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 01, 2015, 12:11:14 AM
Oh you got to start fm the beginning.  You just have to.

I've started...it really is just stuffed like a cream puff full of yummy goodness!

WOTR

Quote from: onan on May 01, 2015, 03:27:26 AM
I don't understand the disdain for certain words. If I say fun, no threat is conveyed. The same with fuss, fudge, or fund.
I was waiting in a registry (DMV) a few days ago sitting beside what can only be described as "trailer trash"- one woman and two guys missing teeth, loud and cursing, when a heavy set woman walked in.  The woman turned to one of the guys and started with "wow- don't you want to fuck that, honey?  Just lift up the belly and fucking plow her.  Yep, just fucking plow that cunt when you lift up the fucking belly..."  This went on for roughly a minute and a few minutes later (probably after forming sentences in his head and processing what she had said) he said how he would rather fuck one of the registry agents who was not all that attractive and how he would fuck anything that walked, but didn't really want to fucking have to lift up a roll of fucking fat to do so.  That went on for maybe 30 seconds.

After the great display of class I noticed that I was sitting directly next to a young girl who was 5 or maybe 6.

Yes, the language was offensive.  I worked in bars for years and just did not care (I have seen many classy people.)  However, I'm guessing that the young girl was listening to the conversation about "just fucking lifting up that bitches belly to plow her."  You can say that the conversation itself lacked decency- but certainly the words that were used did not help either.  I don't know how you would ever politely have that level of conversation without cursing. I seem to recall that you have a kid from the gabcast (maybe I'm wrong...)  Either way, I notice MV referred to a "poop storm" on the last one when his kid was present.  Why censor the word shit?  Why not teach your kid that word like you would "fun, fuss, fudge, or fund" or "suck, silly, sever or salivate?  After all, it's just a word.

Danger!UFO

Thanks for sharing. I think.  ::)

Alienmojo

Just seemed appropriate at this point.

No Quarter

Quote from: Art Bell on April 30, 2015, 10:29:04 PM
Art F...ing Bell

I would love to hear Ross saying this as an intro to MiTD:

"Live from the High Desert, it's Art F...ing Bell!"

Kolchak

Quote from: ks3484 on May 01, 2015, 03:06:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqoIHZpWUU

Meredith Brooks - I'm A Bitch

This video having a picture of Alanis Morissette instead of Meredith Brooks makes me irrationally angry.

onan

Quote from: wotr1 on May 01, 2015, 07:34:08 AM
I was waiting in a registry (DMV) a few days ago sitting beside what can only be described as "trailer trash"- one woman and two guys missing teeth, loud and cursing, when a heavy set woman walked in.  The woman turned to one of the guys and started with "wow- don't you want to fuck that, honey?  Just lift up the belly and fucking plow her.  Yep, just fucking plow that cunt when you lift up the fucking belly..."  This went on for roughly a minute and a few minutes later (probably after forming sentences in his head and processing what she had said) he said how he would rather fuck one of the registry agents who was not all that attractive and how he would fuck anything that walked, but didn't really want to fucking have to lift up a roll of fucking fat to do so.  That went on for maybe 30 seconds.

After the great display of class I noticed that I was sitting directly next to a young girl who was 5 or maybe 6.

Yes, the language was offensive.  I worked in bars for years and just did not care (I have seen many classy people.)  However, I'm guessing that the young girl was listening to the conversation about "just fucking lifting up that bitches belly to plow her."  You can say that the conversation itself lacked decency- but certainly the words that were used did not help either.  I don't know how you would ever politely have that level of conversation without cursing. I seem to recall that you have a kid from the gabcast (maybe I'm wrong...)  Either way, I notice MV referred to a "poop storm" on the last one when his kid was present.  Why censor the word shit?  Why not teach your kid that word like you would "fun, fuss, fudge, or fund" or "suck, silly, sever or salivate?  After all, it's just a word.
If I understand your point, it was as much the lack of understanding the context of the situation than the actual terms. If they had supplanted coitus or intercourse, the conversation would have been just as vulgar. It seems to me in this situation there is a conflation of both verbal and behavioral profanity. To add, the behavior described is much more profane than the actual language.

As to why one of the cast members self censured? Well, we are all products of our social surroundings. I don't have a problem with someone using the term fuck, even at thanksgiving dinner. That doesn't mean I am unaware of the sensitivities of others, no matter how irrational those sensitivities may be.

chefist

Quote from: Kolchak on May 01, 2015, 08:18:55 AM
This video having a picture of Alanis Morissette instead of Meredith Brooks makes me irrationally angry.

Isn't it Ironic?

onan

Quote from: ks3484 on May 01, 2015, 03:58:48 AM

It seems to me that words come and go with the times in which they are most prevalent. You'd have to spend some time with George to understand more about his wanton use of swear words ( I think that Netflix has most of his concerts). It seems to me that using profanity, of any sort,  and for any reason, is understood to be conditional. Accepting or rejecting profanity is a normative type of social behavior. There is an understanding between those who using it, and those who it is being direct towards. It would seem to me that any type of profanity used within an appropriate context is socially acceptable. But when it is used at an inappropriate time, setting, and context is when there are most likely to be bitter disagreement about the appropriateness of it's use.

I was not a friend of Carlin's. But I watched almost, if not all of his appearances on television from my early adolescence. He was a genius with the spoken word. He also did seem to become more acerbic in his last years. But I remember he did a bit where he used the word fuck instead of kill for a joke in which he said "alright, sheriff, we are gonna fuck you now, but we are gonna fuck you slow." That's damn funny.

chefist

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 01, 2015, 08:41:34 AM
Isn't it moronic?

That song was actually rather moronic...her examples were all bad luck and coincidence, not irony...she got so much criticism for that fact some say she stopped performing for a long time out of shame... 8)

onan

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 01, 2015, 04:56:50 AM
I think 'fuck' is a violent-sounding word, with air being forced through at the front of the mouth (I think phoneticians call that a bi-labial fricative, or something) and then the guttural sound of the soft palate being brought in to play at the back. Likewise 'cunt', but more the other way around, with the tongue behind the teeth at the end of the word. Those are the big two, but most of the so-called 'rude' words have a certain violence to them in the way they are produced. I think that's why certain languages can sound inherently violent and sinister (German) while someone could say 'go fuck your mother in the ass' in Italian and it sounds like a lyric poem.

Your thinking that fuck sounds violent is most likely a bias. I can't prove it however. I am also not an anthropologist. So speaking to certain words having harsh connotations may or may not be valid. I do know that guttural clicks are not always connected with (your word) violence.

I do acknowledge the Italian language and French languages are soothing to the ears of most of us Americans.   

aldousburbank

Quote from: onan on May 01, 2015, 08:50:44 AM
I do acknowledge the Italian language and French languages are soothing to the ears of most of us Americans.
When I was a kid my Okie neighbors would tell my dad that they loved the sound of his cussing in spanish.

chefist

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 01, 2015, 08:55:11 AM
When I was a kid my Okie neighbors would tell my dad that they loved the sound of his cussing in spanish.

Chupa mi Cabrito! ;D

NXOEED

Quote from: Art Bell on April 30, 2015, 10:29:04 PM
You are a f.....g troll and I can see you are hyped the f..k up. It's great to have you here mother F...er, thanks for being such a big f...ing fan.

Art F...ing Bell

Read this on the train last night and laughed out loud.

Quote from: onan on May 01, 2015, 03:27:26 AM
I don't understand the disdain for certain words. If I say fun, no threat is conveyed. The same with fuss, fudge, or fund. But the second the consonants c and k are added, the sound becomes offensive. It seems to me the words that should be offensive in concept would be steal, lie, hurt, war, and/or other words that convey real harm. Saying fuck is hardly a bad legacy even saying it 7 times,

I don't want to know anyone who "triggered" by profanity so much so they can't stomach Carlin, who is undeniably a genius. Imagine denying yourself Bill Hicks, Louie CK, Bill Burr on account of some sensitive language tyrant making words an enemy for you too? Truly loathsome.

NXOEED

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 01, 2015, 09:43:38 AM
I don't want to know anyone who "triggered" by profanity so much so they can't stomach Carlin, who is undeniably a genius. Imagine denying yourself Bill Hicks, Louie CK, Bill Burr on account of some sensitive language tyrant making words an enemy for you too? Truly loathsome.

I don't want to know anybody who is "triggered" period. The "trigger warning" is an abomination. The term is only useful in helping me determine which blogs are total garbage and not worth my time. If it appears at the top, I'm out.

Kolchak

Quote from: NXOEED on May 01, 2015, 09:52:28 AM
I don't want to know anybody who is "triggered" period. The "trigger warning" is an abomination. The term is only useful in helping me determine which blogs are total garbage and not worth my time. If it appears at the top, I'm out.

Reported for triggering my triggers trigger.

Quote from: someguy on April 30, 2015, 10:46:03 PM
this is the saddest song because it meant art bell was signing off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLiLMboE9I8

No, that's Crystal Gayle's song, sir. This is the happiest song because it means Noortron is signing off, thus the black hole has closed for the night.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 01, 2015, 08:41:34 AM
Isn't it moronic?

That would be a good title for Dave's first solo album which will be a follow up to the Coast is toast Christmas album they did a while back, and claimed SOME of the cash would go to charity... like a whole 5 cents. The rest went to Tommy.

Quote from: chefist on May 01, 2015, 08:45:53 AM
That song was actually rather moronic...her examples were all bad luck and coincidence, not irony...she got so much criticism for that fact some say she stopped performing for a long time out of shame... 8)

Maybe much like the mustachioed moron from the motor city she doesn't believe in coincidences so she went with irony because it sounded cool.

ge30542

Quote from: No Quarter on May 01, 2015, 08:15:16 AM
I would love to hear Ross saying this as an intro to MiTD:

"Live from the High Desert, it's Art F...ing Bell!"

I agree, that would be really great to hear.  Maybe Mr. Bell can have that one recorded.

dungiven

Quote from: Borris_the_Spider on May 01, 2015, 10:56:49 AM
No, that's Crystal Gayle's song, sir. This is the happiest song because it means Noortron is signing off, thus the black hole has closed for the night.
When I hear Inca Dance, it says to me that Art Bell is signing off. I have never accepted any association between Nooron and Cusco.

ge30542

Quote from: someguy on April 30, 2015, 10:43:48 PM
I fall asleep to old art bell shows almost every night

Isn't it great! With Tune In, there are 6 or 7 AB streams to choose from.

I sample them all till I find the RCH program. They were great, ESPECIALLY the ones where Art would lose patience with RCH's "enthusiasm", and Art would have to say, "Hold on Richard.....HOLD ON".

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: dungiven on May 01, 2015, 11:09:07 AM
When I hear Inca Dance, it says to me that Art Bell is signing off. I have never accepted any association between Nooron and Cusco.

agreed.

scottydawg

Dear Art, Thank You for what you did 40 years ago by arranging the evacuation of the bunch of kids from Vietnam.
Saw this on Reddit today   http://www.reddit.com/r/history/comments/34glsc/forty_years_ago_a_man_named_john_riordan_saved/
He saved 105 from Saigon.
From what I recall you saved a lot more than that. My wife is a war refugee too. Her Dad served in the Royal Laotian Army, at the end of the war when the Communist took over there was a price put on his head. Up until 10 years ago she had never heard the story about how they had to sneak out of the country, and swim across the Mekong to safety. He's a tough old nut in his 80's, it took some time to get him to open up. By the time he was done talking almost all his adult kids around the table were crying.
  Again Art Thank You so much for what you did so long ago!

Quote from: wotr1 on May 01, 2015, 07:34:08 AM
... I notice MV referred to a "poop storm" on the last one when his kid was present.  Why censor the word shit...

I thought MV used 'poop storm' instead of shit storm to be funny, considering they'd been talking about why the Spec Sheet left Keith's network and the terms under which it would return.  I didn't get the feeling he was self censoring

Quote from: ge30542 on May 01, 2015, 11:09:52 AM
Isn't it great! With Tune In, there are 6 or 7 AB streams to choose from.

I sample them all till I find the RCH program. They were great, ESPECIALLY the ones where Art would lose patience with RCH's "enthusiasm", and Art would have to say, "Hold on Richard.....HOLD ON".

RCH: "Look at the picture!  In the lower right corner!  Do you SEE it?  Do you SEE it?  WHAT do you see?!  WHAT do you see in the lower right corner?!"

Art: "looks like a rock"

I love it.  Miss it.  Can't wait for it!

NXOEED

The song that plays at the end of every Friday C2C broadcast makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Quote from: NXOEED on May 01, 2015, 11:37:31 AM
The song that plays at the end of every Friday C2C broadcast makes me want to claw my eyes out.

If you did that, you'd still be able to hear it..