• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

Opossum really to play possum!  I cross-trained briefly in animal control back when I was in law enforcement.  We were called out to a private residence where someone said they had a dead possum in a trashcan.  We went to the call, and sure enough, there was a dead-looking critter in the bottom of a rancid old trashcan.  My supervisor reached in with some collection forceps when the thing jumped up and began scrambling around in the bottom of the can.

I once drove by a spot where a recently-pregnant possum had been run over.  Two newborns were splayed out beside her.  The adult female's eyes were open.  They were the most amazing clear blue in color -- quite beautiful in a horrible way (if that makes sense).  I may have really been anthropomorphizing, but I was sure I saw absolute dismay and dread in those eyes.  Perhaps it was some primitive maternal concern at play in her eyes.  It was riveting and wretched.

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 18, 2013, 02:58:20 PM
I would like to start a thread about what is really sexy in men or what makes certain male performers sexy.   Yeah - they are physically good but there is something more than the visual:
Cary Grant - always respectful an well spoken; principled.  That voice, that accent....
Brad Pitt - Thelma and Louise when he did the polite robber routine.
Paul McCartney -  His sweetness and capacity to love shows in his music.  His devotion to Linda.  That picture of him with the baby looking out of his shearling coat sends me all oxytocin-y.
Gene Wilder - A sweet innocence.
Hugh Hefner - says he gets the girls because he doesn't call them bitches. 

Hope that helps.

I can't be alone in claiming that much of what I learned about what it means to be a man came from old Hollywood.  From Gary Cooper (High Noon), I learned that courage is a lonely, devastating, essential business.  From Bogart and Grant, Jimmy Stewart and Gregory Peck, I learned it was okay to exhibit feelings while still standing up for yourself.  Nowadays, it seems we mostly have Vin Diesel and company showing that all that matters is the size of your biceps and your ability to kick someone else's behind.

There's a start to what women really want.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: West of the Rockies on September 18, 2013, 02:43:19 PM
Hey, Sleepless...
Parenting is hard work.  It takes constant vigilance, introspection, and clear thinking. Obviously enough, about half the country aren't fit to be effective parents.
Too bad so many kids don't have decent fathers and only bad role models to learn from.
Now about that Bob Ross remix...

sleeplessinca

Quote from: West of the Rockies on September 18, 2013, 02:59:37 PM
Opossum really to play possum!  I cross-trained briefly in animal control back when I was in law enforcement.  We were called out to a private residence where someone said they had a dead possum in a trashcan.  We went to the call, and sure enough, there was a dead-looking critter in the bottom of a rancid old trashcan.  My supervisor reached in with some collection forceps when the thing jumped up and began scrambling around in the bottom of the can.

I once drove by a spot where a recently-pregnant possum had been run over.  Two newborns were splayed out beside her.  The adult female's eyes were open.  They were the most amazing clear blue in color -- quite beautiful in a horrible way (if that makes sense).  I may have really been anthropomorphizing, but I was sure I saw absolute dismay and dread in those eyes.  Perhaps it was some primitive maternal concern at play in her eyes.  It was riveting and wretched.
I wish I could have raised the babies for her and released them.  Powerful sight.  You must have felt helpless.  I marvel at how well the animals do without us.
The one in the trash can would have made me scream I'm sure.  You saw them up close and personal.  I'm always at a safe distance.

Heather Wade

Quote from: fotd on September 17, 2013, 06:01:29 PM
I have a boil on my neck, right above the hairline.  Its been there for the last four days and steadily growing larger.  It hurts badly to move my head in any direction, to lay my head on my pillow, etc...  I hate that I'm going to have to make a doc appt or visit the er tomorrow if it doesn't form a head and drain tonight.  /rant

Epsom salt is your friend.  Get a container, put in lots of epsom salt with hot water.  Use a washcloth that you can throw away, and soak it in epsom salt solution.  Keep it on the boil, the closer it gets to 'finishing', the more it will hurt, keep the compress on all night, even after it cools.  It will drain by morning.
This works, much cheaper than er.  I hate boils.

onan

Not that I want to really get into a discussion about boils...but, there are several variations of boils. Almost all of them are purulent. It is important to identify the infection.

MRSA is a prime cause of boils and it is extremely infectious. Not only will a person continue to have boils with this infection; anyone living in close proximity is more than likely to become infected as well. Once a person has a history of MRSA, hospitals are going to place that person in isolation with any stay.

Seeing people, via YouTube, lance a boil at home is troublesome. The spread of infection is extremely high. Not a good strategy.

Heather Wade

Quote from: onan on September 18, 2013, 05:50:05 PM
Not that I want to really get into a discussion about boils...but, there are several variations of boils. Almost all of them are purulent. It is important to identify the infection.

MRSA is a prime cause of boils and it is extremely infectious. Not only will a person continue to have boils with this infection; anyone living in close proximity is more than likely to become infected as well. Once a person has a history of MRSA, hospitals are going to place that person in isolation with any stay.

Seeing people, via YouTube, lance a boil at home is troublesome. The spread of infection is extremely high. Not a good strategy.

You are correct, never lance.  But, hot compresses help, yes?

I didn't want to discuss it either, but the thought of someone hurting & can't turn their head without pain... well... I just wanted to help.

onan

Quote from: Redacted on September 18, 2013, 06:30:24 PM
You are correct, never lance.  But, hot compresses help, yes?

I didn't want to discuss it either, but the thought of someone hurting & can't turn their head without pain... well... I just wanted to help.

you are correct, never lance. And you most certainly did help. Warm compresses and a drawing agent are perfect suggestions. The only issue is contamination and exposure to others. My son lived with 4 other guys while in school. They all ended up with MRSA. Normally that isn't all that concerning. But it is painful and can be chronic. Not to mention a doc visit and meds is not cheap anymore.

fotd

Doc can't see me until Monday.  Got to get some relief now, so an ER trip is in order.  Thanks for the advice, I've been applying compresses for the last 48 hours and no sign of a head.  Getting worried because it is located very close to my brain and I don't know how much to worry about that, but I'm not going to take any chances.

Had cellulitis in my leg about five years ago.  Hospitalized with IV antibiotics for two weeks and ended up with scarring on lymph nodes in my leg.  Infections suck.

Sorry for the boil talk.  It is truly being a pain in my neck.

Heather Wade

Well wishes, I just hope you get better!

Sorry about the boil, fotd. They really are painful, and should be looked at. A dermatologist will drape you with a sterile sheet, betadine the incision area and make a very small incision with a scapel, and then draw it out. It won't hurt because you'll receive a local anesthetic first. Once it's drained and clean, you'll probably get stitches, depending, and an antibiotic if the doctor thinks it's necessary. You'll be advised not to get the area wet, given instructions for changing the dressing and a follow up appointment.

I'm one of those people who've had serial careers and between the s/w engineer and teaching gigs, I worked p/t as an assistant to a dermatologist group until my kid was old enough that I could work full time again. I've seen my share of boils.  ;D

Good luck!

onan

Quote from: fotd on September 18, 2013, 06:56:47 PM
Doc can't see me until Monday.  Got to get some relief now, so an ER trip is in order.  Thanks for the advice, I've been applying compresses for the last 48 hours and no sign of a head.  Getting worried because it is located very close to my brain and I don't know how much to worry about that, but I'm not going to take any chances.

Had cellulitis in my leg about five years ago.  Hospitalized with IV antibiotics for two weeks and ended up with scarring on lymph nodes in my leg.  Infections suck.

Sorry for the boil talk.  It is truly being a pain in my neck.

The chance of any compromise to your brain or brain stem is small. But your insight is very good.

Your skull is a very good barrier against almost any localized infection. Even blood borne are not likely to harm you. If it weren't for risk of infection I would recommend waiting until tomorrow and visiting an urgent care. But the potential risk of infection raises your need to be seen sooner. But don't worry, although painful your chance of serious complications is small.

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 18, 2013, 02:45:30 PM
I'm on an emotional rollercoaster her cuz you got me laughing.  The visuals are priceless here.  I'm super surprised the aunt had to get contraband sheep head all the way from NY.  We do have sheep here... the 4-Hers sell and butcher up all kind of critters every summer. 

These were old school, and very particular about their capozelle. According to the aunt, she couldn' tget a capozelle in all of California, so they had to be imported from NY. If I didn't know better, I'd swear she was playing with them.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on September 18, 2013, 02:59:37 PM

The poor little thing my husky got really was dead, but my mom's dog got one and it played dead until Brandy ambled away, much to everyone's surprise.

There is a family of possums around here, and I got to see the mom crossing the street to the cemetery with about 4 or 5 babies hanging off her. I've never seen anything like it - she looked like a little minivan, turned inside out.

sleeplessinca

The sheep head goodie was an Italian thing?  I was guessing middle eastern.  My ancester's homeland of Iceland is very fond of it too.  It must be a mighty wonderful thing I will probably never have.  That's so funny thinking of these "things" joining your cross country trip. 

sleeplessinca

So jealous of the mini-van possom mom sighting.

sleeplessinca

Googled opossom mom and that is really some cute stuff.  Love em even more.

To remove 'skunk' you use ketchup. When I had cats I kept a #10 can of ketchup around for the chance olfactory emergency. It tales about a gallon of ketchup for 4 cats or for one 50-80 lb. dog. MESSY BUT IT WORKS.

bateman

When people type "Dark MatterS" instead of "Dark Matter." It's spelled out right in front of your face on the board, how hard is it.

sleeplessinca

Holier than thou Bumper stickers that tell me what to.  Coexist, imagine world peace, practice random acts of kindness.  I'm totally on that page until some yahoo in a beatup Prius sanctimoniously cuts me off with this condescending missive.  I rebel.  Coexist yourself!

Mercifully, the bright chirpy yellow 'Baby on Board' sign craze seems to have died off.

sleeplessinca

I always thought that one meant "screaming baby and sleep deprived driver in car".

Nucky Nolan

Many writers refer to ethnic groups, as well as other groupings, as races. For example, discrimination, based on nationality or religion, is called racism by some journalists. Racism is based on race, period, but there are all kinds of bigotry. When people use phrases, like "the Jewish race", it sounds like we're back in the 1800s. You can be a Jew by birth or conversion. Judaism is not a fourth race, and the same holds true for Islam. That should go without saying, but look at the idiotic insults of the new Miss America. She's of Indian heritage, but these idiots grouped her with Islamic terrorists based on her skin tone.

fotd

The ER staff was really nice the other night.  Ultrasound looked normal.  Not a boil, cellulitis.  I didn't get any relief, just thought I'd give an update.

Now for something that pisses me off.  People who fly flags outside their homes, and let them fade or shred.  Why bother flying a flag if you're not going to keep it in good condition?

stevesh

Quote from: fotd on September 20, 2013, 12:49:50 PM

Now for something that pisses me off.  People who fly flags outside their homes, and let them fade or shred.  Why bother flying a flag if you're not going to keep it in good condition?

I live next door to the local volunteer fire station, and they do this, too. Drives me nuts to the point where I have bought them a new one twice so far.

Eddie Coyle

These hipster-driven beard growing contests and such. To quote Nixon's timeless opinion on Bohemian Grove "It's most faggy goddamn thing you could ever imagine"

Quote from: fotd on September 20, 2013, 12:49:50 PM
The ER staff was really nice the other night.  Ultrasound looked normal.  Not a boil, cellulitis.  I didn't get any relief, just thought I'd give an update.

Wow, good thing you went to the ER. I hope you're feeling better now.

The other day, I passed a flag receptacle that looked sort of like a mailbox. The town put it up for tattered and old flags. This is such a great idea, I'm surprised I don't see more of them, but at least I know where to take my tattered flags now.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 20, 2013, 02:32:31 PMThese hipster-driven beard growing contests and such. To quote Nixon's timeless opinion on Bohemian Grove "It's most faggy goddamn thing you could ever imagine"
Well, you know he was right. Bohemian Grove was and is all these elite of the elite old boy alumni of American versions of the English "public school" tradition of sending a kid off at 11 or so to live away from home during the school year with a few hundred other young men up to the age of 19. Places like Deerfield Academy, Groton, Phillips Andover and Exeter and so on. The kind of places where "Lord Of The Flies" was reality, not fiction; where might indeed made right, and forcible sodomy was just another Friday night in the dorm. It was hell to be little and/or young at these places. But it prepared these men to rule America...and fuck much of the rest of the world over just because we can. That's what they were taught in these places. 

So at BG the men who run the country run around naked for a week, reliving their school days by giving and getting blow jobs right and left, from guests and staff. Oh, I guess there 's a little hetero sex going on, since there are always a few of those all-straights around. But the young men get to rub, uh, shoulders with Henry Kissinger and George Schultz and such...and be amazed to see just how far down an old man's scrotum can hang. Seriously, it'll be like looking at a bunch of old men with shriveled, flesh-colored pendulums swinging back and forth between their legs, a threat to strike the hour on their owners' knees.

It amazes me that there are always activists who want to break into this freak show.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on September 20, 2013, 04:16:08 PM
Well, you know he was right. Bohemian Grove was and is all these elite of the elite old boy alumni of American versions of the English "public school" tradition of sending a kid off at 11 or so to live away from home during the school year with a few hundred other young men up to the age of 19. Places like Deerfield Academy, Groton, Phillips Andover and Exeter and so on. The kind of places where "Lord Of The Flies" was reality, not fiction; where might indeed made right, and forcible sodomy was just another Friday night in the dorm. It was hell to be little and/or young at these places. But it prepared these men to rule America...and fuck much of the rest of the world over just because we can. That's what they were taught in these places. 

So at BG the men who run the country run around naked for a week, reliving their school days by giving and getting blow jobs right and left, from guests and staff. Oh, I guess there 's a little hetero sex going on, since there are always a few of those all-straights around. But the young men get to rub, uh, shoulders with Henry Kissinger and George Schultz and such...and be amazed to see just how far down an old man's scrotum can hang. Seriously, it'll be like looking at a bunch of old men with shriveled, flesh-colored pendulums swinging back and forth between their legs, a threat to strike the hour on their owners' knees.

It amazes me that there are always activists who want to break into this freak show.

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash is apparently the motto of the CFR as well. Bohemian Grove is apparently more of a display of blatant homosexuality than latent. Trilateralism as "Try-Anything-ism". Plato's Retreat meets Foreign Affairs. Men with names like Ball or Bush.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 20, 2013, 06:43:46 PMRum, Sodomy and the Lash is apparently the motto of the CFR as well. Bohemian Grove is apparently more of a display of blatant homosexuality than latent. Trilateralism as "Try-Anything-ism". Plato's Retreat meets Foreign Affairs. Men with names like Ball or Bush.
Well, you know the motto of Skull and Bones: "You can't really trust a man until you've been jammed up to the hub into his rectum."

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on September 21, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
Well, you know the motto of Skull and Bones: "You can't really trust a man until you've been jammed up to the hub into his rectum."

Words to live by...words to live by.