• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 20, 2013, 06:43:46 PM
Rum, Sodomy and the Lash

"Jeopardy": What is the name of Sardondi's upcoming book? I kid both Sardondi *and* the Pogues.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Sardondi on September 21, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
Well, you know the motto of Skull and Bones: "You can't really trust a man until you've been jammed up to the hub into his rectum."

Isn't that the motto of Eton? If not, it ought to be.. A well known Etonian.. Make it two.. That'll be our PM and Chancellor of the exchequer then.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Sardondi on September 20, 2013, 04:16:08 PM
Well, you know he was right. Bohemian Grove was and is all these elite of the elite old boy alumni of American versions of the English "public school" tradition of sending a kid off at 11 or so to live away from home during the school year with a few hundred other young men up to the age of 19. Places like Deerfield Academy, Groton, Phillips Andover and Exeter and so on. The kind of places where "Lord Of The Flies" was reality, not fiction; where might indeed made right, and forcible sodomy was just another Friday night in the dorm. It was hell to be little and/or young at these places. But it prepared these men to rule America...and fuck much of the rest of the world over just because we can. That's what they were taught in these places. 

So at BG the men who run the country run around naked for a week, reliving their school days by giving and getting blow jobs right and left, from guests and staff. Oh, I guess there 's a little hetero sex going on, since there are always a few of those all-straights around. But the young men get to rub, uh, shoulders with Henry Kissinger and George Schultz and such...and be amazed to see just how far down an old man's scrotum can hang. Seriously, it'll be like looking at a bunch of old men with shriveled, flesh-colored pendulums swinging back and forth between their legs, a threat to strike the hour on their owners' knees.

It amazes me that there are always activists who want to break into this freak show.

It's troubling that you know far too much about it; more than a wholesome gent such as yerself might... Have you any slides Sardondi? Just for research you understand.

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on September 21, 2013, 01:40:27 AMWords to live by...words to live by.
Indeed. Every time I contemplate the very real possibility that, since its inception and continuing even until today, the CIA may have been been staffed at the top by a bunch of guys who buggered each other - hell, a bunch of guys who's dads and grandads buggered each other - I get the staggering giggles.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: Sardondi on September 21, 2013, 08:11:52 AM
Indeed. Every time I contemplate the very real possibility that, since its inception and continuing even until today, the CIA may have been been staffed at the top by a bunch of guys who buggered each other - hell, a bunch of guys who's dads and grandads buggered each other - I get the staggering giggles.
...and this is all completely normal to them... gag

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Sardondi on September 21, 2013, 08:11:52 AM

What is staggering is that Simon Cowell hasn't devised a talent contest with it as a theme; what is the man thinking? Missing a trick like that.

Man, I must be getting old... I am so tired of seeing internet photos of Miley Cyrus exposing great stretches of her anatomical real estate.  It seems like every single moment of the day is spent on self-marketing and presenting herself as a sex object.  Does she ever read a book, contemplate the meaning of life, or otherwise NOT spend every waking moment twerking?  Does Bieber ever NOT look like a brooding, self-loving jerk?

Pete Hernandez, er, Bruno Mars is doing the Super Bowl half time show.  I think I'll be outside.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on September 23, 2013, 11:22:55 AM
Man, I must be getting old... I am so tired of seeing internet photos of Miley Cyrus exposing great stretches of her anatomical real estate.  It seems like every single moment of the day is spent on self-marketing and presenting herself as a sex object.  Does she ever read a book, contemplate the meaning of life, or otherwise NOT spend every waking moment twerking?  Does Bieber ever NOT look like a brooding, self-loving jerk?

Where are the family members and "friends" who are supposed to get this person into rehab?  Why is this different from a former child star drinking to excess?  I sincerely hope she gets help, but I still don't want to see her on my tv screen OR my computer monitor.

Sardondi

Quote from: Treading Water on September 23, 2013, 06:50:37 PM
Where are the family members and "friends" who are supposed to get this person into rehab?  Why is this different from a former child star drinking to excess?  I sincerely hope she gets help, but I still don't want to see her on my tv screen OR my computer monitor.
Because to his everlasting shame, Daddy Billy Ray Cyrus is riding this pony for all it's worth. Who'll give me odds on picking a month in the next 12 in which both Miley and Dad will check into some half-ass drug rehab, much like Lindsey Lohan's family, which, until the Kardashians, held the record for most seriously dysfunctional family? 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 23, 2013, 11:34:38 AM
Pete Hernandez, er, Bruno Mars is doing the Super Bowl half time show.  I think I'll be outside.

I hope the power goes out during his performance during the 27 inch snowstorm that Sunday.

coaster

Quote from: bateman on September 23, 2013, 10:30:01 PM
How could this price possibly be justified: http://www.lanvin.com/e-lanvin/US//men/men-ready-to-wear/oversize-t-shirt-25929.html?color=Dark%20Grey&colorid=168#
Looks like everything on that site is overpriced. But I see the word "Paris", which to me means pretentious and overpriced.

stevesh

Supermarket managers - If you're going to insist on having fewer lanes open than are really needed to properly serve your customers, could you at least ask the additional cashiers who are standing around with their thumbs up their asses to do so somewhere your customers can't see them ? Thank You.

bateman

Quote from: coaster on September 24, 2013, 11:33:31 AM
Looks like everything on that site is overpriced. But I see the word "Paris", which to me means pretentious and overpriced.

For some reason, that link isn't displaying properly, but if you scroll down here http://www.lanvin.com/e-lanvin/US/men/men-ready-to-wear.html you'll see a $475 t-shirt & a $1095 "sleeveless top".

I absolutely believe in paying for quality, but those prices are for people who'd just as soon light a stack of hundreds on fire. My $6 Uniqlo t-shirts hold up better than my Versace ones ever did. What an enormous waste of money.

b_dubb

Quote from: West of the Rockies on September 23, 2013, 11:22:55 AM
I suspect that your queries are rhetorical but in the off chance they are not the answers to your questions are:

1) no
And
2) no

b_dubb

After working in open source development teams for years I find myself at a huge corporation that has completely bought into the Microsft mindset of how dev should work. What a I find funny/frustrating is that the codebase for the app - written in asp dot net - never works. My superiors and coworkers refer to the codebase as "the solution". Which makes me laugh because I'm constantly thinking "are we sure this isn't The Problem?"

Quote from: stevesh on September 24, 2013, 11:50:53 AM
Supermarket managers - If you're going to insist on having fewer lanes open than are really needed to properly serve your customers, could you at least ask the additional cashiers who are standing around with their thumbs up their asses to do so somewhere your customers can't see them ? Thank You.

And take down the signs that promise more registers will be opened if there are more than 3 people in line.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: bateman on September 23, 2013, 10:30:01 PM
How could this price possibly be justified: http://www.lanvin.com/e-lanvin/US//men/men-ready-to-wear/oversize-t-shirt-25929.html?color=Dark%20Grey&colorid=168#
They only have to sell 1@ $475 T-shirt rather than 47@$10.  They only need to convivce one sucker buyer that it will set them apart and convey that person's discerning taste.  It's a gamble that works for lots of "designers".

bateman

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 24, 2013, 03:44:31 PM
They only have to sell 1@ $475 T-shirt rather than 47@$10.  They only need to convivce one sucker buyer that it will set them apart and convey that person's discerning taste.  It's a gamble that works for lots of "designers".

Looks like you're right.

QuoteIn 2011, Lanvin sales reached â,¬203 million

sleeplessinca

Quote from: bateman on September 24, 2013, 04:13:24 PM
Looks like you're right.
Jeez I sure missed that ground floor opportunity.

bateman

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 24, 2013, 04:21:41 PM
Jeez I sure missed that ground floor opportunity.

Well according to Wikipedia, they were founded in 1889, so unless you're a lot older than I thought...

sleeplessinca

Quote from: bateman on September 24, 2013, 04:22:54 PM
Well according to Wikipedia, they were founded in 1889, so unless you're a lot older than I thought...
Well, at least I have my excuse  :D

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on September 25, 2013, 05:49:59 AMAnd the assholes win another one:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-09/why-were-shutting-our-comments
"Popular Science, why are you shutting down your 'Comments' section?"

"Because shut up."

"Oh, c'mon. Tell the truth, PopSci: what's really behind this move?"

"Okay, look, here's the deal. The global warming data hasn't been coming in quite like we thought it would. A lot of us here took a terrible bath on Al's prediction that by this year we'd be using rowboats to get around Lower Manhattan. I mean, how the hell am we going to rid of an entire block in Harlem? That it was supposed to be the new Port Of New York under Gore's scenario doesn't help move it when there's still over 100 blocks of bone-dry land between what we own and the still-there New York Harbor. Geez, the bath we'll wind up taking on that!"

I wish it was like that. But reality is worse. "Comments can be bad for science." What utter, shameless horseshit. What craven liars they are. No, this is more about orthodoxy, and shutting down anyone who doesn't get along with the go-along boys and girls. This is about shutting down dissent about matters which are essentially cultural and social, not scientific. Besides, how could a comments section possibly affect PopSci? Unless the editors felt like they must answer that dissent. And doing that gets so tiresome, don't you know.

Not only is Popular Science run by liars, they are cowards as well.

stevesh

Quote from: Sardondi on September 25, 2013, 06:43:35 AM
"Popular Science, why are you shutting down your 'Comments' section?"

"Because shut up."

"Oh, c'mon. Tell the truth, PopSci: what's really behind this move?"

"Okay, look, here's the deal. The global warming data hasn't been coming in quite like we thought it would. A lot of us here took a terrible bath on Al's prediction that by this year we'd be using rowboats to get around Lower Manhattan. I mean, how the hell am we going to rid of an entire block in Harlem? That it was supposed to be the new Port Of New York under Gore's scenario doesn't help move it when there's still over 100 blocks of bone-dry land between what we own and the still-there New York Harbor. Geez, the bath we'll wind up taking on that!"

I wish it was like that. But reality is worse. "Comments can be bad for science." What utter, shameless horseshit. What craven liars they are. No, this is more about orthodoxy, and shutting down anyone who doesn't get along with the go-along boys and girls. This is about shutting down dissent about matters which are essentially cultural and social, not scientific. Besides, how could a comments section possibly affect PopSci? Unless the editors felt like they must answer that dissent. And doing that gets so tiresome, don't you know.

Not only is Popular Science run by liars, they are cowards as well.

I'm going to guess that you don't spend a lot of time perusing the Comments sections on almost any popular website, especially news sites and newspapers' websites. BellGab at its worst (a month or so ago) was pure heaven compared to the idiocy I see at places like HuffPo, The Blaze, all the TV networks' sites, etc.

I'm not defending PopSci in any way, but I can easily believe that their stated reason for shutting down comments was the
real one.

I used to read the local newspaper online. 

I made the mistake of reading the comments section. 
I learned a very quick lesson... :(

BobGrau

Storm by Tim Minchin

What annoys me here is the fact that he's right.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Treading Water on September 25, 2013, 10:26:50 AM
I used to read the local newspaper online. 

I made the mistake of reading the comments section. 
I learned a very quick lesson... :(

"Communist!"

"Fascist!"

"Idiot!"

"Moron!"