• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

Art_s Farts

I think a quote from a recent chat the George Knapp took part in this past January tells where his loyalty lies.

Comment From NAME DELETED
"Hello George. When & where did you first meet George Noory & become a part of the Coast to Coast program?"

George Knapp:
"I met Art Bell many years ago when he was broadcasting from a single station here in LV. At Art's request, I arranged a meeting with Bob Bigelow who helped provide financial support for the program that eventually became C2C. I appeared on those early shows for about a year, doing paranormal news updates but was unable to stick with it. Art took the show to greater heights than anyone imagined but could not do it alone. I was not part of the show when he brought George N. into it....About 4-5 years ago, Lisa Lyon contacted me to see if I might fill in once in awhile and I have been filling in a few times a month ever since."

Nebraska888

Quote from: Art_s Farts on March 29, 2012, 07:24:26 PM
I think a quote from a recent chat the George Knapp took part in this past January tells where his loyalty lies.

Comment From NAME DELETED
"Hello George. When & where did you first meet George Noory & become a part of the Coast to Coast program?"

George Knapp:
"I met Art Bell many years ago when he was broadcasting from a single station here in LV. At Art's request, I arranged a meeting with Bob Bigelow who helped provide financial support for the program that eventually became C2C. I appeared on those early shows for about a year, doing paranormal news updates but was unable to stick with it. Art took the show to greater heights than anyone imagined but could not do it alone. I was not part of the show when he brought George N. into it....About 4-5 years ago, Lisa Lyon contacted me to see if I might fill in once in awhile and I have been filling in a few times a month ever since."

Yep, this clarifies that Knapp respects Art Bell......and maybe Lisa Lyon too! 

morphiaflow

I didn't know there was any mystery about Knapp's long-term association with Art Bell. As for his comments about "my friend and colleague George Noory", which I heard live, I don't think he was being either ironic or insincere. I'm sure Noory is very friendly to him whenever they do interact directly (which I suspect is seldom). But I also don't think Knapp is ignorant of the quality level of the rest of the show--but between him, and, say, Art, do you think they sit around together and bitch about it? No. It's so obvious, they wouldn't need to. And for all we know, Art might have made the request to Knapp to stick with it as long as possible to maintain at least a slender thread to the integrity and quality of the show that Art founded for as long as possible. Remember Art's comments on this very forum recently, "I've gotten offers to do a show on competing networks but I have no wish to destroy what I created, or what's left of it." Knapp's not ignorant--but he's smart, and he's classy, and to whatever extent he deigns to involve himself at all, he probably just shakes his head, doesn't talk about it (certainly not in public), does the best job he can on-air and gets paid for it. Like a gentleman. Like a professional.

I'll also say this, though....since Art has said that he may one day pick up a mic again...I would look at the Knapp situation as an indicator. IF Knapp ever leaves Coast (either voluntarily, or by being pushed out), I would suspect that THAT is when, if Art EVER does come back to the radio...that would be the time to pay attention...

But for now, I'll take what Knapp I can get, supplemented by the occasional Ian and Simone, and Noory and Alex Jones and the uber-right-fringe-whacko-wingnuts can take their gold and their storable food and hide it on Newt Gingrich's moonbase, with the corpses of Hoagland's aliens.

Nebraska888

Quote from: morphiaflow on March 29, 2012, 10:43:43 PM
I didn't know there was any mystery about Knapp's long-term association with Art Bell. As for his comments about "my friend and colleague George Noory", which I heard live, I don't think he was being either ironic or insincere. I'm sure Noory is very friendly to him whenever they do interact directly (which I suspect is seldom). But I also don't think Knapp is ignorant of the quality level of the rest of the show--but between him, and, say, Art, do you think they sit around together and bitch about it? No. It's so obvious, they wouldn't need to. And for all we know, Art might have made the request to Knapp to stick with it as long as possible to maintain at least a slender thread to the integrity and quality of the show that Art founded for as long as possible. Remember Art's comments on this very forum recently, "I've gotten offers to do a show on competing networks but I have no wish to destroy what I created, or what's left of it." Knapp's not ignorant--but he's smart, and he's classy, and to whatever extent he deigns to involve himself at all, he probably just shakes his head, doesn't talk about it (certainly not in public), does the best job he can on-air and gets paid for it. Like a gentleman. Like a professional.

I'll also say this, though....since Art has said that he may one day pick up a mic again...I would look at the Knapp situation as an indicator. IF Knapp ever leaves Coast (either voluntarily, or by being pushed out), I would suspect that THAT is when, if Art EVER does come back to the radio...that would be the time to pay attention...

But for now, I'll take what Knapp I can get, supplemented by the occasional Ian and Simone, and Noory and Alex Jones and the uber-right-fringe-whacko-wingnuts can take their gold and their storable food and hide it on Newt Gingrich's moonbase, with the corpses of Hoagland's aliens.

Very well said! 

stevesh

Quote from: morphiaflow on March 29, 2012, 10:43:43 PM
Like a gentleman. Like a professional.

That says it all.

Knapp referring to Noory as a friend and colleague is like our members of Congress referring to and addressing each other as 'the honorable gemtleman'. Both know it's bullshit, but tradition will out.

Finished listening to the show about disappearences in the National Parks. 

Heading into the break before the final segment, the guest was talking about two cases with very similar details, although far apart geopeographically.   He seemed about to link them somehow.  He said he'd spoken with one of the fathers, a person that had refused to speak to the media about the case for decades.  The parent hadn't really want to talk to him that day either, but the guest told him he'd driven across the country and could he ask a couple of questions.  Right then George Knapp stops him and goes to break.

Coming back from break, George says something about having to go to the phones, something about the listeners being upset if he didn't, and we never get back to what those questions and answers were from the end of the previous segment.

So instead of the end of the story, we got people calling in to say it was wolverines, bears, mountain lions, some supernatural aspect.  The guest tells them why it likely wasn't that, repeating the parts about no blood or signs of struggle, the condition of the bodies, how far away they were found, etc, cue up the closing music.

Not to blame just Knapp, since I have heard every host - even Art Bell sometimes - do this.  I don't quite get it.  Assuming there are hundreds of thousands of people out there listening, and about 4 can get through with their question, why does letting this handful of people get through to ask lame questions trump the rest of us that want to hear the end of the story?  And the suggestion the rest of us will be angry if these calls don't get through.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 30, 2012, 12:38:24 PM
Finished listening to the show about disappearences in the National Parks. 

Heading into the break before the final segment, the guest was talking about two cases with very similar details, although far apart geopeographically.   He seemed about to link them somehow.  He said he'd spoken with one of the fathers, a person that had refused to speak to the media about the case for decades.  The parent hadn't really want to talk to him that day either, but the guest told him he'd driven across the country and could he ask a couple of questions.  Right then George Knapp stops him and goes to break.

Coming back from break, George says something about having to go to the phones, something about the listeners being upset if he didn't, and we never get back to what those questions and answers were from the end of the previous segment.

So instead of the end of the story, we got people calling in to say it was wolverines, bears, mountain lions, some supernatural aspect.  The guest tells them why it likely wasn't that, repeating the parts about no blood or signs of struggle, the condition of the bodies, how far away they were found, etc, cue up the closing music.

Not to blame just Knapp, since I have heard every host - even Art Bell sometimes - do this.  I don't quite get it.  Assuming there are hundreds of thousands of people out there listening, and about 4 can get through with their question, why does letting this handful of people get through to ask lame questions trump the rest of us that want to hear the end of the story?  And the suggestion the rest of us will be angry if these calls don't get through.

Absolutely agree. I was angry I never heard the rest of the story.. and the callers dumbed down what was actually a great show.

If this had been a George Noory interview, he would have led off asking the questions the callers asked - about bears, mountain lions, wolverines.  George would have wondered about lions and tigers escaping from nearby zoos.  'Could it be a portal' George would have asked, 'sumpthin's goin on' he'd say.  'Hoo knoz' .  He'd follow up asking what were the most horrific stories that involved children.

Then he'd cut the guest loose, put in a random tape of an old show and head out the back door.  Or call Lionel for a Spring-Heel Jack story.

morphiaflow

This sort of thing annoys me too, but you do have to take into consideration: there are no breaks when we listen to the show later. when it's live, there's 7 to 10 minutes of commercials and news in which it's very easy for the host, guest and audience to all be distracted and lose the thread of where it was going--or (for the host and guest anyway) make a deliberate choice to avoid/ignore going there. Can it still be frustrating? Absolutely. But it's just a reality of the format.

Quote from: morphiaflow on March 30, 2012, 12:59:02 PM
This sort of thing annoys me too, but you do have to take into consideration: there are no breaks when we listen to the show later. when it's live, there's 7 to 10 minutes of commercials and news in which it's very easy for the host, guest and audience to all be distracted and lose the thread of where it was going--or (for the host and guest anyway) make a deliberate choice to avoid/ignore going there. Can it still be frustrating? Absolutely. But it's just a reality of the format.

I guess my question is why the insistance that we need to go to the phones at all.  It's not like the callers typically ask good questions, or more than a few people can even get through, usually at the expense of the rest of us.

There were plenty of AB shows where he only went to the phones after exhausting all his questions, sometimes not at all.  Apparently Wells has had shows with no callers.

Morgus

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 30, 2012, 01:10:47 PM
I guess my question is why the insistance that we need to go to the phones at all.  It's not like the callers typically ask good questions, or more than a few people can even get through, usually at the expense of the rest of us.
noory is the worst on that, always quickly going to phone callers even interrupting the guest's information to do it.
wells hasn't been going to calls at all since he took over Saturday nights in contrast.
Knapp is kind of in the middle, at least he did a full 4 hours with his guest last weekend so we got a full 3 hours without callers.
noory will go to callers with even a one hour guest reducing the guest's information down to less than 20 minutes many times...

Quote from: Morgus on March 30, 2012, 01:41:26 PM
noory is the worst on that, always quickly going to phone callers even interrupting the guest's information to do it.
wells hasn't been going to calls at all since he took over Saturday nights in contrast.
Knapp is kind of in the middle, at least he did a full 4 hours with his guest last weekend so we got a full 3 hours without callers.
noory will go to callers with even a one hour guest reducing the guest's information down to less than 20 minutes many times...

I wondered a little about why 'True Crime' Punnett didn't do the show on the disappearances in the National Parks.

Now I'm wondering if the bigfoot hunter guy made these disappearance stories up or maybe embellished them.  It would explain why the National Parks don't have records or a web page listing the disappeared the rest of us can look up.  No one is going to fact check his research, even if they did and it turned out to just be a bunch of campfire stories, who else would ever hear about it.

Either way it was a good show to listen to, still it would be nice if George Knapp was a little more skeptical of this and other topics, like Ian would have been.

BobGrau

Quote from: morphiaflow on March 30, 2012, 12:59:02 PM

You're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a deliberate litte tease-cliffhanger to encourage people to buy the books.  ;)

Nebraska888

Quote from: Morgus on March 30, 2012, 01:41:26 PM

Knapp's four hours (or close to that) were great!  Knapp understood that this was a great guest and an interesting topic.  Knapp decided to pursue the topic and the heck with callers.  I really appreciated that choice.

YOU ARE SO CORRECT....when Noory runs out of his "card" questions....after 60 minutes.....LIONEL FANTHROPE OR RICHARD HOAGLAND....OR SOMEBODY...to the rescue.  Or, we have to listen to his kiss butt callers and open lines with their ridiculous stories and questions....always prefaced with how Noory is so great.  What the hell???  Who ARE these people?

Also:  What about the recorded commercial about the vitamin that Ronald Reagan used?  CARNAVORA?  (sp)...and the idiotic robotic questions and responses from Noory....such as:  "...and we thank you very much...."  OMG, it's so !#$#!@$ stupid I could puke...oops...I already said in an earlier post if he said:  ....and things things like that"...I would strangle myself.....either way, there is no hope for me!

fabucat

Last night's interview with Knapp was absolutely TALK SHOW HEAVEN.  That was the BEST interview with Bill Black that I've ever heard, and I've heard Black a lot lately.  In fact, it was the BEST political talk show about the financial crisis that I've ever heard.

George Knapp truly is courageous for letting America hear Black's truth-telling. 

Interesting factoid:  Black, who was head of Office of Thrift Supervision during the Savings & Loan crisis of the 80s, said that Keating wanted to put a murder contract on him!

VtaGeezer

Quote from: fabucat on April 16, 2012, 09:59:21 AM
Last night's interview with Knapp was absolutely TALK SHOW HEAVEN.  That was the BEST interview with Bill Black that I've ever heard, and I've heard Black a lot lately.  In fact, it was the BEST political talk show about the financial crisis that I've ever heard.

George Knapp truly is courageous for letting America hear Black's truth-telling. 

Interesting factoid:  Black, who was head of Office of Thrift Supervision during the Savings & Loan crisis of the 80s, said that Keating wanted to put a murder contract on him!

The major media won't give Black the platform he needs to get the truth out.  News media has shifted to major corporate ownership since the S&L scandal in the 80s and it filters news info accordingly.  Every time I hear some poor ill-informed sucker who's swallowed the line that FNMA/FHLMC rules for low income mortgages caused the 2008 looting of the economy by Wall St, I want to scream.  The Bush WH and Congress knew exactly what was happening years in advance of the collapse, and did everything they could to make even easier for the banking pirates to fleece the whole country. 

Everytime I go to LA, I have drive past the Countrywide Mortgage HQ and am reminded how Tony Mazillo personally made almost a billion dollars peddling "liars' loans" to gullible buyers on one end and greedy bankers on the other, and walked away with a light slap on the wrist.  Black fails to put any blame on the parasites in real estate industry, who talked millions into homes they couldn't afford, advising them to lie on mortgage apps, and promising a huge profit in a few years.  That provided the feed stock of subprime mortgages that Wall St leveraged 40:1 until the rubber band snapped in their face.

A correction though; Black said he believes that when Keating put "Kill him dead" in a memo, he meant only that he wanted him permanently fired from his oversight job.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on April 16, 2012, 12:02:02 PM
The major media won't give Black the platform he needs to get the truth out.  News media has shifted to major corporate ownership since the S&L scandal in the 80s and it filters news info accordingly.  Every time I hear some poor ill-informed sucker who's swallowed the line that FNMA/FHLMC rules for low income mortgages caused the 2008 looting of the economy by Wall St, I want to scream.  The Bush WH and Congress knew exactly what was happening years in advance of the collapse, and did everything they could to make even easier for the banking pirates to fleece the whole country...

The reason we keep hearing that the Bush Administration saw Freddie and Fannie's business model was broken, proposed new regulations to remedy the situation, and were stopped cold by Barney Frank and the House Financial Services Committee in Congress, is because it has the advantage of being true.

Here in my local area, I recall an almost constant outpouring of accusations of racism, threatened litigation, and tons of bad press from ACORN, et. al. demanding high risk borrowers be given loans on overpriced homes they ended up not being able to afford, and the local banks caving due to that pressure. 

It becomes confusing when that is lumped with the looting by Wall Street.  Note that Wall Street didn't write themselves checks from the Treasury.  Those bills were passed by Nancy Pelosi's and Harry Reid's House and Senate, some were signed by Bush, some by Obama.  Under Obama, Fed chief Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Tim Geitner worked together to pump more money into the financial system, straight out of the Fed and bypassing the Congress.  Not to mention the Obama multi-Trillion Dollar annual deficits - I'd consider those to also be 'looting'.

I'm guessing Knapp and his guest didn't spend much time discussing any of this?

Harmness

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 16, 2012, 04:09:13 PM

I'm guessing Knapp and his guest didn't spend much any time discussing any of this?

Correct.

Like you, I'm less than impressed with Knapp's "muckraking."

fabucat

Quote from: Harmness on April 17, 2012, 05:08:40 PM
Correct.

Like you, I'm less than impressed with Knapp's "muckraking."

I guess that you could listen to Noory and Wells to reaffirm your world view.

The great thing about Bill Black is that he skewered all administrations, Democratic and Republican, that came after him.  Mr. Black served under RONALD REAGAN.  He used to be what is called a Reagan Republican.  Now he's just an independent.

fabucat

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 16, 2012, 04:09:13 PM

The reason we keep hearing that the Bush Administration saw Freddie and Fannie's business model was broken, proposed new regulations to remedy the situation, and were stopped cold by Barney Frank and the House Financial Services Committee in Congress, is because it has the advantage of being true.

Here in my local area, I recall an almost constant outpouring of accusations of racism, threatened litigation, and tons of bad press from ACORN, et. al. demanding high risk borrowers be given loans on overpriced homes they ended up not being able to afford, and the local banks caving due to that pressure. 

It becomes confusing when that is lumped with the looting by Wall Street.  Note that Wall Street didn't write themselves checks from the Treasury.  Those bills were passed by Nancy Pelosi's and Harry Reid's House and Senate, some were signed by Bush, some by Obama.  Under Obama, Fed chief Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Tim Geitner worked together to pump more money into the financial system, straight out of the Fed and bypassing the Congress.  Not to mention the Obama multi-Trillion Dollar annual deficits - I'd consider those to also be 'looting'.

I'm guessing Knapp and his guest didn't spend much time discussing any of this?

That's right.  Because you know better than someone who teaches business and law and served under President REAGAN.  Black spent plenty of time trashing Democrats, including Clinton and Gore, but not for the reasons you think.  Black criticizing Clinton and Gore for CUTTING banking regulations.  That's not part of the right wing spin, however, because Frank Luntz and his friends want you to believe that Clinton was a Communist. 

GEORHG LUTZ

YEAH I KNOW

I AM DRUNK.

I nail this case SHIT

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: fabucat on April 17, 2012, 09:35:34 PM
That's not part of the right wing spin, however, because Frank Luntz and his friends want you to believe that Clinton was a Communist.
Clinton was no Communist. That's silly.

But he was a secret Muslim placed in power by the Velvet Mafia,Planned Parenthood and the six Jews in Zurich that run everything in the world.  :-X

Ben Shockley

Give 'em hell, fabucat!!  ;D ;D
I would say I have your back, but I didn't hear the show and don't know Bill Black ~
Anyone who calls out the research whore and generally-noxious pud Frank Luntz can sit at my lunch table any day!!  :) :) :)

GK mentioned something about GN getting nearly kidnapped in Mexico on Sunday's show. Maybe someone could fill in the details, I was falling asleep.

stevesh

Check post #11302 in the George Noory Sucks! thread. The whole thing never happened, in my opinion.

ericdxx

Quote from: fabucat on April 16, 2012, 09:59:21 AM

I wouldn't go that far (as I never heard about Bill Black before) but I agree. It was the best c2c segment in a long time. 

We have to thank Noory for opening up the show to new topics like serious economics.

edit: they should've plugged the excellent documentary "Inside job" but I guess that in the end it's all about selling  :P

Lovely Bones

Quote from: ericdxx on April 19, 2012, 10:44:54 AM

We have to thank Noory for opening up the show to new topics like serious economics.

I'm going to be out sick the day we thank Noory for anything.

On another note, I'm really looking forward to this Sunday night's show with Knapp: an expert on the Zodiac killings and a lawyer for Sirhan Sirhan re the RFK assassination.  My cup of tea and with GK. 

4/22/12

George Knapp welcomes Tom Voigt, an expert on the Zodiac killings. Voigt is convinced he knows the identity of the killer, and will discuss the case, the victims, and why the San Francisco PD has refused to do serious DNA testing on the letters and evidence in the murders.

First Hour: Lawyer for Sirhan Sirhan, William F. Pepper, claims his client is innocent of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. He seeks a re-examination of claims that Sirhan was framed by shadowy agents who "hypno-programmed" him into taking part in the shooting.

CoastCanuck

Quote from: 999 on April 20, 2012, 01:52:05 PM
4/22/12

George Knapp welcomes Tom Voigt, an expert on the Zodiac killings. Voigt is convinced he knows the identity of the killer, and will discuss the case, the victims, and why the San Francisco PD has refused to do serious DNA testing on the letters and evidence in the murders.

First Hour: Lawyer for Sirhan Sirhan, William F. Pepper, claims his client is innocent of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. He seeks a re-examination of claims that Sirhan was framed by shadowy agents who "hypno-programmed" him into taking part in the shooting.
This sounds like it will be a 'barnburner' of a show to me.