• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

On top of Art being done, the fact that SiriusXM picked up Coast means that there is no chance of them starting up a similar program with a new, vibrant host. Basically we're FUBAR'd.

WR104

I'd like to raise a practical question at this point. Do we play Stonhenge tomorrow?

tertiaryimam

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 12, 2013, 04:10:58 PM
and even though I could run
out and get a Lawyer and perhaps win back my freedom I will most likely not  do that.

I guess that is about the only hope we got.

My money is on art stewing about it for a few months. Then he'll say "fuck it" and get the biggest, baddest, meanest, smelliest, most hard-boiled motorcycle gang of lawyers in the country, and he'll sit back and watch, guffawing and puffing on a vanilla e-cigarrette, as they litter UNBRIDLED DOOM on Sirius/XM's funny little hovel.

JayDee543

Quote from: Kolchak on November 12, 2013, 04:13:54 PM

I really hope you're trolling.

lol I forget sarcasm is hard to pick up in print

weeberwubber

Thanks for giving it a try, Art.   

My exercise of choice is night-time hikes and it was great listening to you for a brief time.  I just can't listen to Coast to Coast.  It's just so bad.  When I do try it does make me hike faster to get it over with so that's a benefit, I guess.

I'm glad I found this forum because of this though.  I was perpetually flabbergasted at just how bad C2C was and how it could possibly continue.  Then I saw George celebrating a lifetime contract and I gave up hope regarding talk radio listening entertainment, figuring I saw things differently than others.  Not long after that Dark Matter came about and I came across this forum, where I discovered that there were a ton of people that thought the same thing I did.  I wasn't crazy!  Well, about that anyway.

As long time fans we've all been weebered by the situation.  It wouldn't be that way if C2C would provide a half ass decent product themselves.  At least we'd have something.

The General

Quote from: Art Bell on November 12, 2013, 03:50:09 PM
First of all my sincere congrats to Premiere Radio, they made the right move. Business is War
and I would have done the same exact thing, and did in my day.

Second, given the same circumstances I would make the same decision again today about Dark
Matter. There is much you do not know and I will not talk about because it was given in confidence
and I am kind of old school so I will not talk about those things even though it would help you to
understand my decision.

Third, I would love it if Sirius/XM would waive my NC but they said no and even though I could run
out and get a Lawyer and perhaps win back my freedom I will most likely not do that. If I were ten
Years younger it might be a different story, I will say this, It seems crazy as hell to me that we offered
exactly what Premiere ended up taking. Now Sirius/XM has a show that will be mostly commercials and
seems much less a good fit than Dark Matter with a Host who thinks a Typhoon in Vietnam causes rain
in Hawaii. (Last night's show, first hour)

Fourth and finally I would like to say sorry to the people who did come over either by Radio or the less
than stellar streaming, trust me I understand your anger, I only wish you had enough information to
understand my decision.

Art Bell
Thanks Art,
And keep us posted if anything changes.

Kolchak

Quote from: JayDee543 on November 12, 2013, 04:15:46 PM
lol I forget sarcasm is hard to pick up in print

Oh, good. Hard to tell sometimes.

Poe's law: "Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing."

nevernamed

Quote from: Meanandnasty on November 12, 2013, 03:53:27 PM
Money talks.  I called Sirius this morning and told them I would not be subscribing at this time to their service.  I wanted Art Bell available to me to listen.  Also, as a company they are underhanded and unethical.  I will not do business with them, period, at this point.

how are they unethical??  they didn't quit

Art_s Farts

Thanks Art. It's been one helluva ride.

[attachimg=1]

rangerdavid

First of all my sincere congrats to Premiere Radio, they made the right move. Business is War

Second, given the same circumstances I would make the same decision again today about Dark
Matter. There is much you do not know and I will not talk about because it was given in confidence
and I am kind of old school so I will not talk about those things even though it would help you to
understand my decision.

Third, I would love it if Sirius/XM would waive my NC but they said no and even though I could run
out and get a Lawyer and perhaps win back my freedom I will most likely not do that. If I were ten
Years younger it might be a different story, I will say this, It seems crazy as hell to me that we offered
exactly what Premiere ended up taking. Now Sirius/XM has a show that will be mostly commercials and
seems much less a good fit than Dark Matter with a Host who thinks a Typhoon in Vietnam causes rain

Fourth and finally I would like to say sorry to the people who did come over either by Radio or the less
than stellar streaming, trust me I understand your anger, I only wish you had enough information to
understand my decision.

Art Bell

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on this.  It's a complete cop out.  Sounds exactly like the line we were fed when you left C2C.  "can't talk about it, if I could, you'd understand"..  Well like you said, business is war.  It's all fair game.  What do you have to lose now, I think you should spill it man!!  What are they going to do, take your show away?  You just got your ass handed to ya, after years and I mean YEARS of us waiting and hoping and they all jumping on board with you.  You got no fan loyalty Art.  That part sucks.  If you gave some corporate suit your "word" you wouldn't discuss this, what were you thinking?  You just don't want it anymore, do you?  I think that's glaringly obvious.  Any contracts attorney can tell you the requirements for a valid non-compete, and among others, it has to be reasonable as to duration, scope, area, etc.  Terrestrial radio doesn't compete with SiriusXM.  Two different mediums.  A solid legal argument could be made and you could probably win this one, yet you choose to walk away.

The King is dead.  Long live the King!!

IcicleTrepan

Guess I'm back to trying to find a suitable replacement show.

jazmunda

understand my decision.

understand my decision.

Art Bell

Thanks for the ride Art. It was short but it was a blast. Thanks for taking my calls. Hopefully we'll see you in 2 years. If not enjoy life. You will be missed.

JayDee543

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 12, 2013, 04:15:30 PM

My money is on art stewing about it for a few months. Then he'll say "fuck it" and get the biggest, baddest, meanest, smelliest, most hard-boiled motorcycle gang of lawyers in the country, and he'll sit back and watch, guffawing and puffing on a vanilla e-cigarrette, as they litter UNBRIDLED DOOM on Sirius/XM's funny little hovel.

Well, we do know he's great at doing that!

Heather Wade

Quote from: DanTSX on November 12, 2013, 04:01:21 PM
If it was goodbye, he would had said so

Yep.  I'm making an ass out of u and me on that point.  There is a *screaming headache* gripping my tender skull something fierce.

Best to wait... still... I think? 

shell88

Hey Art. Come say hi on the gabcast today. Click Top right of homepage.  Perhaps you can share your favorite recipes with us.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on November 12, 2013, 04:17:24 PM
Guess I'm back to trying to find a suitable replacement show.

Hello Icicle. Any luck with this?

phrodo

I wouldn't doubt if PremRat is paying SXM to carry crapt2crap. That way PremRat can claim even more listeners and thereby charge more for their advertising (and likely add EVEN more ads per hour) and profit from them having to pay for the SXM coverage.

retired41

Afixer

It was a great ride my brother. Hope you can find a way back on air. If not ... maybe we'll hook up in the next life. Peace   Afixer
P.S.  Thanks!

ItsOver

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 12, 2013, 04:14:56 PM
On top of Art being done, the fact that SiriusXM picked up Coast means that there is no chance of them starting up a similar program with a new, vibrant host. Basically we're FUBAR'd.

Welcome to Noory hell.

Chine

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 12, 2013, 04:10:39 PM

NO

Ahaha. Omg. My husband watched that film of his, Under Siege last night. This will sound odd, but I find Tommy Lee Jones sexy in that film. Sexy in a creepy old rocker ruggish way.

jazmunda

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 12, 2013, 04:08:16 PM

Im just going to smoke myself re-tar-tar so I can forget this ever happened.

Puff, Puff, Give, You're fucking up the rotation.

Have one for me too. :(

shell88

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 12, 2013, 04:15:30 PM

^^This^^  That would be no suprise.  Refrains are great.

sharkbait

This has been like the radio/message board version of Game Of Thrones. Just when the people you root for are finally making headway or are about to win the other bastards come out from nowhere, pulling the rug out from under them, effectively pulling my heart out and destroying all hope.

Damn you Dave.

Good luck with everything Mr. Bell. If you are able to come back I'll be ready to listen.

PS: Producer Paul, Good luck as well. A class act and a good sport. I'd be happy to have a beer with you someday. Here's to you landing on your feet.

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on November 12, 2013, 04:13:26 PM
$600 for what? Overspend much?
I listed it bud...140 for boombox to listen in the house, car port to take radio with me was 80, 200 for year subscription, and another 150 for the lynx.  Was worth it if Art were on...

Chine

Quote from: shell88 on November 12, 2013, 04:18:15 PM
Hey Art. Come say hi on the gabcast today. Click Top right of homepage.  Perhaps you can share your favorite recipes with us.

That would be great. I'll share some of our Filipino dishes. Like pancit and adobo chicken. Hubby's family from Manila and Davao.

BobGrau

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 12, 2013, 04:18:23 PM
Hello Icicle. Any luck with this?

Doug Stanhope has started uploading podcasts on youtube, I listened to one last night with his friend who just did 3 years in a brazillian jail. Not paranormal, but good shit nonetheless.

ledzep69r

What an awful day. Art throws in the towel and C2C is taking his place. Who knows if Art will even have a desire to start up a show again in 2 years. It's like being the middle guy in the Human Centipede. Terrible either way.