• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

AppealPlay

What the hell happened last night?  It's like thirty pages in twelve hours.

Far too lazy to read it myself.  Update me, please!

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 12, 2013, 01:03:14 PM

And with that, it's over. There is no way SiriusXM will let Art out of his non-compete. And there is no way Art would ever come back to SiriusXM to be George's lead-in. I guess the next date to watch out for is Sept. 16, 2015. Ugh.
Art was foolish to sign a non-compete. I really have to question his legal representation.

Chad Jacobs

I like Noory. He's a nice guy, a decent broadcaster, and someone I would trust watching my 13 year old son. Sometimes his shows are compelling. However, consistently he fails to ask the obvious compelling follow up questions or leads the interviewee off what is a compelling line of questioning for no good reason.  Having said that comparing Art to Noory is like comparing Revolution to The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad. Even a mundane episode of Breaking Bad was far superior to the best episode of Revolution (and again I watch Revolution every week just as I still subscribe as an Insider to C2C and have for many, many years). Noory could improve his game, just as Revolution might improve its script writers, but it will never be Breaking Bad, nor will Noory ever be Art.  If only C2C had someone "a tier above" like Knapp or Clyde Lewis they still wouldn't be Art, but I also wouldn't feel that there was such a divergence from the old "Art" shows and what exists currently.  I still like the idea of Art creating a whole "Paranormal/Science" brand (not just a show) which goes after all mediums available. It might even cause C2C to up its game.

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on November 12, 2013, 01:07:38 PM
Art was foolish to sign a non-compete. I really have to question his legal representation.

Pretty much all deals have non-competes, but it definitely seems foolish to sign any deal like this without being sure that you will stay through the whole contract. This whole situation is so depressing.

ItsOver

Quote from: AppealPlay on November 12, 2013, 01:07:29 PM

C2C with nightmare Noory showed up on Sirius 104 last night and won't be leaving. 

Non-competes are standard operating procedure in radio and television.

Industry standard, he wouldn't be on Dark Matter without it.

IcicleTrepan

And so this is how they will enforce his noncompete now too.  Now they have C2C and they'll say he can't compete against them because of that reason.  I think Art's sunk for another 2 years :(

'For those of you who listened to Coast to Coast AM on XM, we have great news for you-- - now, from 1am-6am ET/10p-3am PT you can hear us on BOTH Sirius and XM on Indie Channel 104. The fans were heard and  we are baaaack!!!'

Yeah you heard the fans, and did the opposite of what they wanted.. they wanted Art.

dortmunder

Welp, that's my Sirius subscription cancelled. Was actually pretty painless.

AppealPlay

Quote from: ItsOver on November 12, 2013, 01:10:30 PM
C2C with nightmare Noory showed up on Sirius 104 last night and won't be leaving.

IT WAS A PREMIERE RADIO CONSPIRACY!!!

IcicleTrepan

Quote from: AppealPlay on November 12, 2013, 01:15:19 PM
IT WAS A PREMIERE RADIO CONSPIRACY!!!

Just wondering if it showed up in Canada as well.  Previously I don't think C2C was available in Canada on SXM.  The Indie page for siriusxm.ca still shows dark matter as a show (not on the schedule but on the list of shows).

Kolchak

The foolish thing was to take his ball and go home because of people experiencing difficulties with the free trial of the stream instead sticking it out and encouraging them to purchase the actual equipment that goes along with satellite radio listening.

If listeners have $90 bucks to spend on a C Crane bluetooth radio, they can definitely afford a proper SXM setup.

ItsOver

Quote from: dortmunder on November 12, 2013, 01:13:25 PM
Welp, that's my Sirius subscription cancelled. Was actually pretty painless.

So far, that was the easiest part for me, too.  Back to wandering the desert.  Again.

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on November 12, 2013, 01:13:18 PM
And so this is how they will enforce his noncompete now too.  Now they have C2C and they'll say he can't compete against them because of that reason.  I think Art's sunk for another 2 years :(

The non-compete isn't about individual programming, so Coast to Coast AM being on the air doesn't make a difference. It's enforced as a means to protect SiriusXM in general.

shell88

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 12, 2013, 07:41:20 AM
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro. But when it's this effed up, the pros move to a tiny Mexican village lair with no internet. If you end up there, ask for Senor Aldous and the first cerveza will be on me. Know that I will miss throwing spitballs with you alls.
Disconnect.

I was mortified to see you've gone and had a peyote bath and now your heading to your teacher.  Have a great trip. I hope you have packed your things safely in the bunker to be waiting for your return.

IcicleTrepan

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 12, 2013, 01:17:21 PM
The non-compete isn't about individual programming, so Coast to Coast AM being on the air doesn't make a difference. It's enforced as a means to protect SiriusXM in general.

Well I agree, but if he was to try and ask to get out of the no-compete they will now almost certainly say no, since they can't have him competing against C2C.

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 12, 2013, 01:10:06 PM
Pretty much all deals have non-competes, but it definitely seems foolish to sign any deal like this without being sure that you will stay through the whole contract. This whole situation is so depressing.
Not true at all. Art could have negotiated a no non-compete contract. He was certainly in the drivers seat to do so. Non competes are not even enforceable in California and other states. Art could have simply told them "if you want me, it will be without a non-compete".

AppealPlay

This is some conspiratorial bullshit.  Art should go scorched Earth.

dortmunder

Well, I'm sure glad Sirius has taken Art up on his offer and decided to broadcast a half-rate, two-bit free terrestrial radio program for a nominal monthly fee....er, wait! What was that about smart business practices again?

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on November 12, 2013, 01:19:05 PM
Well I agree, but if he was to try and ask to get out of the no-compete they will now almost certainly say no, since they can't have him competing against C2C.

They would have said no anyhow, even if they filled the slot with Rotten Tomatoes repeats or Jay Thomas. With that said, I think SiriusXM accepts the independent broadcaster offer that Art put on the table and Dark Matter resumes.

shell88

Quote from: AppealPlay on November 12, 2013, 01:20:43 PM
This is some conspiratorial bullshit.  Art should go scorched Earth.
art can't blame anyone but himself. ;)

WR104

Hi Art,

So can you please give us an update today. Is there any chance for a show or are the recent events going to make things way too difficult for you.  Can you comment?  Anyway we support you and hope you are doing ok.

Thanks

AppealPlay

Quote from: shell88 on November 12, 2013, 01:22:01 PM
art can't blame anyone but himself. ;)

Maybe I would have agreed with you a week ago but the more I've learned about the situation the more I believe from very early in Dark Matter, there had been a concerted effort to make it fail.

indigoo

The non-compete was there to ensure that Art wouldn't back out of the deal for something else; it's a means to protect Sirius from situations just like this. Without it, he could just break the contract and go and do whatever. He was foolish to give up like this when things probably could have worked themselves out.

Now, if the real reason he left is because of this new development? Well, not sure what to make of that. My thought; grow the fuck up and just DO A BETTER SHOW. I'm really disappointed by all of this. Just wanted Art back.

Quote from: AppealPlay on November 12, 2013, 01:23:37 PM
Maybe I would have agreed with you a week ago but the more I've learned about the situation the more I believe from very early in Dark Matter, there had been a concerted effort to make it fail.

I could use a hit of what you're smoking.

richard cee

Quote from: dan7800 on November 12, 2013, 12:37:37 PM
Barf

"For those of you who listened to Coast to Coast AM on XM, we have great news for you-- - now, from 1am-6am ET/10p-3am PT you can hear us on BOTH Sirius and XM on Indie Channel 104. The fans were heard and  we are baaaack!!!"

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/pages/c2c-back-on-sirius-xm

funny how sxm and c2c worked that deal out so quick,and on arts channel of all things,maybe like trying to stick to art??
kinda like "the enemy of my enemy is my friend " syndrome??
or,on the other hand maybe its just the way two parties negotiate a problem instead of one just running off?
food for thought..either way its a shit sandwich

Kolchak

Quote from: AppealPlay on November 12, 2013, 01:23:37 PM

I don't understand the logic behind this. SiriusXM builds Art a studio, invests money to have Art as talent, promotes the show...in hopes of chasing him off thee air?

ziznak

Art gets mentioned again on OnA today.  There were a few jokes at his expense but I liked what Opie said about him. 
"Because unlike US he doesn't put up with SHIT."

starts at 14:12 when Ant chimes in with "you know who doesn't get phone calls?   Art Bell." yuck yuck yuck
http://old.hulkshare.com/dl/rq69adb9qd4w/2013-11-12-oa-64k?d=1

Quote from: indigoo on November 12, 2013, 01:24:07 PM
Now, if the real reason he left is because of this new development? Well, not sure what to make of that.

If he did, I doubt it was anything more than a suspicion. Of course Coast to Coast AM was going to negotiate another deal with SiriusXM with their old one expiring this year, I just didn't expect it to be on Indie 104. That was jarring to hear, "Could it be angels?" after I decided to turn on my satellite receiver to see what was running over night on the channel.

munbeam666

OK, folks, please explain. I wasn't listening to Art's XM shows (I was planning to subscribe in December, for a number of reasons):
Art was originally scheduled on XM from the 7-10 (three hours) slot, which was later quickly expanded to 7-11 (four hours).
Meanwhile C2C, which originally was on XM, was bumped for Art's XM show
When Art got on the air, with XM, C2C was quietly behind the scenes negotiating with XM/Serius to come back on their site. According to the varius blogs and internet sites that I have read, C2C may have gotten the 10-:300 slot before Art quit.
The scheduling of C2C by Serius would have cut Art's broadcasting slot by an hour....
I think that there is a lot more to this story than we will ever know   

Quote from: AppealPlay on November 12, 2013, 01:07:29 PM

Art came back!

Then he retired again, midway through the first hour.

Dude, you shoulda been there. it was epic.