• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

tastycanadian

Quote from: morphiaflow on November 12, 2013, 05:19:00 PM
Art Bell to me on Facebook:

I am considering my legal options

If he is just now bothering to talk to a lawyer about his contract and weather setting up a podcast would violate his NC then again I dont think he really cares one way or another.

Heather Wade

Quote from: alleyrulez on November 12, 2013, 05:25:31 PM
Art may never fully understand what kind of damage he has done to his loyal fan base.

or maybe he does know...and just doesn't care.

No hurt to the guy that really is my hero.  I've wanted a career in radio since I was a little girl, yeah, when I heard
Art Bell for the first time I wanted to be just like him.  Ok, I'm going to cry.  Over a talk show host. 
Such drama, who needs cable??!???

I have hope, still yet, for I have seen much darker days turn bright in a flash. 

But, my heart, my heart feels like this:

Warrior Soul - The Losers

mesomel

K I've read every post on this thread over the past week.  Yes,  I seriously have no life.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

The only bright spot in my stupid meaningless life was Art and DM the last six weeks.  Now it's been ripped from my soul.   Jeez  :(

God Art.  I'll sic my fat ass cat on you.   Then feed him some pizza rolls.

urbie88

I love art bell. One of the best broadcasters to ever grace the airwaves. But, that being said, "I am considering my legal options" should have been said before the contract was severed.

Quote from: SnapT on November 12, 2013, 04:36:22 PM
Art Bell?  More like Art QUIT.

Noory will never leave us.  NEVER.

"I FUCK QUITTERS FOR BREAKFAST."
-- GEORGE NOORY

Noory, he is like Hepatitis C.

Producer-Paul

Quote from: sharkbait on November 12, 2013, 04:21:55 PM
snip......

PS: Producer Paul, Good luck as well. A class act and a good sport. I'd be happy to have a beer with you someday. Here's to you landing on your feet.

Thanks for the kind words.
Likewise on the adult beverage!

morphiaflow

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on November 12, 2013, 05:24:04 PM
I think he would have posted that rather than sending you a private message if he wanted it made public.

I did think about it and perhaps I should have held off. That said...
I shared it because I wanted to give some glimmer of hope.
I messaged him that I was going to share it.
I'm certain I'm not the only person who sent him a pm and I'm certain I'm not the only person who got that response.
And it's not like it's going to upset the apple cart--I'm pretty sure Sirius and PremRat expect him to at least look at his legal options. Who wouldn't?
Finally, he could have chosen to not respond to me at all.

If Art takes me to task for posting those six words, I will offer my most sincere apology and ask if there is anything I can do to make up for it.

zeebo

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 12, 2013, 07:41:20 AM
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro. But when it's this effed up, the pros move to a tiny Mexican village lair with no internet. If you end up there, ask for Senor Aldous and the first cerveza will be on me. Know that I will miss throwing spitballs with you alls.
Disconnect.

Aldous, you live a life of mystery, intrigue, and excitement.  Or at least that's the image I have, and please don't take that away from me - I've had enough disappointment lately as it is. 

Don't get involved in any ill-conceived wagers involving scorpions and/or tequila .... 

Quote from: urbie88 on November 12, 2013, 05:36:00 PM
I love art bell. One of the best broadcasters to ever grace the airwaves. But, that being said, "I am considering my legal options" should have been said before the contract was severed.

Anyone can claim Art Bell sent them a message on Facebook. I'd like to see a screenshot of said correspondence.

JayDee543

Quote from: urbie88 on November 12, 2013, 05:36:00 PM

That's what I really don't understand (if it's true).
Art said he discussed the situation with the producer and Bob Crane.   I will never comprehend why those were the only 2 people he talked in regards to walking off that Monday - especially the Bob Crane part.

morphiaflow

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on November 12, 2013, 05:41:14 PM
Anyone can claim Art Bell sent them a message on Facebook. I'd like to see a screenshot of said correspondence.

teaser452

Goodbye Art, it was nice knowing you.  I would never let you out of your non compete clause.  And Sirius XM will be damned if they ever do.  Your career is over.  Finally, blissfully.  Now I can finally get on with my life knowing that radio will be just another massive suck, like the rest of the world.  Thanks Art for quitting.  Just helps to reinforce my view of the world.

Heather Wade

On the turning away
From the pale and downtrodden
And the words they say
Which we won't understand
"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"

It's a sin that somehow
Light is changing to shadow
And casting it's shroud
Over all we have known

Unaware how the ranks have grown
Driven on by a heart of stone
We could find that we're all alone
In the dream of the proud

On the wings of the night
As the daytime is stirring
Where the speechless unite
In a silent accord

Using words you will find are strange
And mesmerised as they light the flame
Feel the new wind of change
On the wings of the night

No more turning away
From the weak and the weary
No more turning away
From the coldness inside

Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?

HaveAccess

Alles  Ist   Kaput 

whatatrip

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 12, 2013, 05:34:09 PM
[quote author=alleyrulez link=topic=5069.msg197287#msg197287 date=1384298731

Art may never fully understand what kind of damage he has done to his loyal fan base.

or maybe he does know...and just doesn't care. ...

And if he had stayed he would have had to promise to his listeners that the web streaming would be fixed soon and just hold on for awhile. When that would not have materialized, you would have been blaming AB for a "junk" show.

If I produce a high quality product and if my retailer destroys it so no one will buy it, I would dump that retailer.

It was clear to Art after 5 weeks that Sirius was not serious about fixing the web streaming. What are people going to do? Listen to C2C for free on AM radio or stream C2C without drops for $55/year or are they going to buy a Sirius radio? I have 2 C. Crane radios that I never use anymore. I steam live and on demand. The future demands that streaming work.

I can understand Art's enthusiasm with Sirius and he may have "overlooked" some potential pitfalls because his eye was on the goal and not the details. That is often a fault of great artists. Some people are great artists and good business people and some are not. Noory is a poor artist but, obviously a good businessman.

DesertFox

Quote from: morphiaflow on November 12, 2013, 05:45:09 PM

Kind of sounds like Art is placating an urgent fan--seeing that shot makes me even more dubious.  Only real action and results would stop me from saying BULL.  Again words are cheap.

Quote from: Art Bell on November 12, 2013, 03:50:09 PM
First of all my sincere congrats to Premiere Radio, they made the right move. Business is War
and I would have done the same exact thing, and did in my day.

Second, given the same circumstances I would make the same decision again today about Dark
Matter. There is much you do not know and I will not talk about because it was given in confidence
and I am kind of old school so I will not talk about those things even though it would help you to
understand my decision.

Third, I would love it if Sirius/XM would waive my NC but they said no and even though I could run
out and get a Lawyer and perhaps win back my freedom I will most likely not do that. If I were ten
Years younger it might be a different story, I will say this, It seems crazy as hell to me that we offered
exactly what Premiere ended up taking. Now Sirius/XM has a show that will be mostly commercials and
seems much less a good fit than Dark Matter with a Host who thinks a Typhoon in Vietnam causes rain
in Hawaii. (Last night's show, first hour)

Fourth and finally I would like to say sorry to the people who did come over either by Radio or the less
than stellar streaming, trust me I understand your anger, I only wish you had enough information to
understand my decision.

Art Bell

The realists among us called it as soon as he pulled the plug and deactivated Facebook.  The cognitively far gone, the masochists, the devout among us jeered, SHILLS, HATERS, why are you so negative?!  Those same people hurled the most vile insults I have ever seen on BellGab, when Noory came along and took what was always there to take.  Like all backward fundamentalists, they took it to the next level, wishing Noory death.  Disgusting.

Glad it's over, the whole thing was gross, especially when you realize he never really wanted it anyway.  He'll tease bullshit behind the scenes excuses over the next few years, string along the abused here, and he might even come back, but he'll never last.  Nothing does.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 12, 2013, 05:22:54 PM
Not being able to provide the promised level of performance for the show and the basic expectation of reliability to the customer is not equivalent to waiving a few days past 30 but not dropping the NC. That's not incredible generosity, it's flagrant incompetence in a world where reliable streaming is the norm for countless radio shows. Not dropping the non-compete is simply providing a service to Premiere Radio to keep Art off the air and unable to compete. That's not generosity either, that's dog eat dog business.

This is just speculation on my part, same as yours, but perhaps they're not dropping the non-compete because Art angered management with the way he handled his exit from Dark Matter. I'm sure they're puzzled that Art didn't request to be an independent broadcaster from the beginning and avoid any issues with the SiriusXM web player/app, but I suppose hindsight is 20/20. It's difficult to have a fully formed opinion when we still don't know the entire story but it's ludicrous to suggest the company is in league with Premiere and are holding Art to his non-compete in order to benefit Coast to Coast AM.

Quote from: JayDee543 on November 12, 2013, 05:44:07 PM
That's what I really don't understand (if it's true).
Art said he discussed the situation with the producer and Bob Crane.   I will never comprehend why those were the only 2 people he talked in regards to walking off that Monday - especially the Bob Crane part.

Yeah. "Buh-zahr."

bateman

Quote from: Art Bell on November 12, 2013, 03:50:09 PM
First of all my sincere congrats to Premiere Radio, they made the right move. Business is War
and I would have done the same exact thing, and did in my day.

Second, given the same circumstances I would make the same decision again today about Dark
Matter. There is much you do not know and I will not talk about because it was given in confidence
and I am kind of old school so I will not talk about those things even though it would help you to
understand my decision.

Third, I would love it if Sirius/XM would waive my NC but they said no and even though I could run
out and get a Lawyer and perhaps win back my freedom I will most likely not do that. If I were ten
Years younger it might be a different story, I will say this, It seems crazy as hell to me that we offered
exactly what Premiere ended up taking. Now Sirius/XM has a show that will be mostly commercials and
seems much less a good fit than Dark Matter with a Host who thinks a Typhoon in Vietnam causes rain
in Hawaii. (Last night's show, first hour)

Fourth and finally I would like to say sorry to the people who did come over either by Radio or the less
than stellar streaming, trust me I understand your anger, I only wish you had enough information to
understand my decision.

Art Bell

retired41

WHEN ITS ALL SAID AND DONE ART HAS TO DECIDE WHEN AND IF HE RETURNS.

pepsiguy

He is still logged in. Has been for some time now.

MikeD

Well...technically isn't he only competing if he broadcasts for profit? Can a NC clause keep you from doing a free broadcast---that relies on recurring donations for streaming capabilities? Mooks do it all the time.

Kolchak

Quote from: whatatrip on November 12, 2013, 05:47:51 PM
And if he had stayed he would have had to promise to his listeners that the web streaming would be fixed soon and just hold on for awhile. When that would not have materialized, you would have been blaming AB for a "junk" show.

If I produce a high quality product and if my retailer destroys it so no one will buy it, I would dump that retailer.

It was clear to Art after 5 weeks that Sirius was not serious about fixing the web streaming. What are people going to do? Listen to C2C for free on AM radio or stream C2C without drops for $55/year or are they going to buy a Sirius radio? I have 2 C. Crane radios that I never use anymore. I steam live and on demand. The future demands that streaming work.

Content aside, are Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony putting on "junk shows" because of this streaming issue? They seem to be getting along just fine.

If people want to listen to satellite radio, the most reliable option will always be purchasing a satellite radio receiver. The show came in just fine for me. Nothing was "destroyed" until the plug was pulled.

Falkie2013

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 12, 2013, 03:44:40 PM

I'm gonna need a Painkiller in about half a minute

YOU need painkiller ?
I just spilled some hot minestrone soup on my leg.
Lots of screaming and it hurt like hell. Hopefully it won't blister.
Next thing you know, I'll drop the turkey I've got cooking in the oven on my dick.
OWWWW !

whatatrip

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 12, 2013, 05:52:08 PM
... it's ludicrous to suggest the company is in league with Premiere and are holding Art to his non-compete in order to benefit Coast to Coast AM.

Why would that be ludicrous? If I were Premier/Sirius, that is exactly what I would want. I would not want AB to be able to compete with C2C. Both companies have a stake in C2C and AB threatens those interests.

If fact I might even have "lured" Art into my web by promising him a show but all the while planning to prevent competition from him. Who knows, maybe some Premier exec is shagging a Sirius exec.