• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

HMC

Well, that's that. Who ever is to blame, I'm glad it's over. I certainly would have preferred a different outcome, but if Art isn't gonna fight, he isn't gonna fight. I hope that in 2 years I get another email from MV saying Art is starting a new show. Hope that one ends better than this one. RIP Dark Matter.

Kolchak

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 12, 2013, 04:49:55 PM
If Art continued doing Dark Matter while negotiating to become an independent broadcaster so he could stream on his website, how differently would this have turned out? That seems to be the fatal mistake here, walking away from the show.

Most likely they still wouldn't have let him. But we'd still have the program, and the calls would get better as more people became aware of the show. Also, if the free trial streamers kept having issues, maybe they would have actually ponied up and purchased an actual satellite receiver (you know, how satellite radio is typically consumed) and put an end to their problems.

Noooooooo, aldous....

No one in this nightmare landscape can hear me scream... :'(

IcicleTrepan

well, guess I'll have to drown my sorrows by playing my new PS4 in 2 days, 5 hours and 1 minute.

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on November 12, 2013, 04:59:57 PM
well, guess I'll have to drown my sorrows by playing my new PS4 in 2 days, 5 hours and 1 minute.

High five, just picked up my PS4 copy of Black Flag today.

Falkie2013

Quote from: DanTSX on November 12, 2013, 03:40:38 PM
What's that?  Did the doctor ask for a specimen?

Sacrilege ! Ban him from the channel !

morphiaflow

I signed up for the Sirius/XM 30 day free trial. I was not impressed with the quality and decided not to continue past the 30 days. Indeed, I hadn't used it at all since the end of September.

As late as the end of October I was getting emails from Sirius asking me to call them urgently about my account status. For whatever reason, maybe because I wanted to see how all of this played out, I just didn't put a high priority on responding.

But with these latest developments I decided to wait no more, and just called them now...only to find out they had charged my card on (guess what?) October 31, and I didn't even know.

It took a couple of transfers, but I got to someone who cancelled my account and said they would issue me a full refund. When they asked why I was cancelling, I told them it was because they no longer aired Dark Matter, and refused to release Art Bell from his contract.

For whatever that was worth.

Surmo

My letter to Sirius:

Dear SiriusXM:

I am just letting you know that the $75 cancellation fee is illegal in my
opinion, and I will contact the 32 state lawsuit against you in that regard
in order to join up.

Though only a "customer" for two more days, I would like to protest the
return of Coast to Coast to your lineup.  That show is the absolute pits.
The host, George Noory, is boring, a very poor interviewer, and has no,
absolutely no, personal integrity.

Sincerely,

Dean XXXXX

IcicleTrepan

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 12, 2013, 05:01:11 PM
High five, just picked up my PS4 copy of Black Flag today.

Nice, I picked up Killzone: Shadowfall a few days ago.

VtaGeezer

Jeez...I drop by for the first time in months, unwilling to participate in the orgy of the Bell fanboys after The Announcement, and learn that Genius Radio Host Art Bell has once again been done in by Sharp Businessman Art Bell. Anyone with more than a fleeting history as a Bell listener should have known how this would end. The only thing surprising was the blinding speed this time.  This poor man needs a legal guardian.

Meanandnasty

Quote from: Surmo on November 12, 2013, 05:02:23 PM
My letter to Sirius:

Dear SiriusXM:

in order to join up.

Sincerely,

Dean XXXXX

Yes, I put in a complaint to CORPORATE customer service.  They will read it.

Maybe Coast on satellite will do a Mike Segal.  The numbers compared to Dark Matters just plain suck.  In 6 weeks they get the numbers and somewhere out in the high desert there is a knock on a doublewide door. . . Stranger things have happened.

Wilderness

I have "Skyfall" by Adel, latest James Bond theme tune running through my head!

"This is the end..."

--

Why Art posted "Wanna take a ride"... I didn't realize it would be the  equivalent of one block!!

IcicleTrepan

Sorry to see you go Art.  You're better than that yohan Noory any day, any year.

>:(

BobGrau

Quote from: rarlsatan on November 12, 2013, 04:48:45 PM
Art, please don't go gently into that cold, dark knight.

Oh, the lols

HumanBeing

Quote from: dan7800 on November 12, 2013, 03:51:32 PM
Looks like the end

What a ride...
Art came back to the airwaves to kick Premiere's ass and it takes only 6 weeks before Art gets 'pwned' hardcore.
Stuck in another NC contract... Wow unreal. You could not write this script, only reality does.
What a disappointment.

rsv777

Art, restore to previous working mode.

nika01

Art,

At least take off the picture of the damn S/XM satellite from your web page. You are letting your fans down if you don't fight. Fizzling out doesn't seem to fit.

Very disappointed. 

LAM4:2

I wonder what the ratings were for C2C and DM when Art Bell was back on the air.

JayDee543

My letter to Sirius:

Dear SiriusXM:

in order to join up.

Sincerely,

Dean XXXXX

As opposed to Art, who has no professional integrity.

Meanandnasty

It just gripes my ass that there is just blind acceptance of this.  . . by Mr. Bell.  He deserves so much better and so do we.

Kolchak

in order to join up.

The cancellation fee is in their terms -

Cancellation Fee:
Cancellation fees
may be applied on radios purchased directly from us at a discount and/or combined with a discounted subscription price, which fee is disclosed at time of purchase. You agree to make payments in accordance with the terms of the promotion that you accepted and agreed to, including payments of any early cancellation fees if you terminate the Service prior to the end of any minimum commitment period.

http://www.siriusxm.com/pdf/siriusxm_customeragreement_eng.pdf

If you agreed to said terms, I don't think there's anything illegal going on.

whatatrip

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 12, 2013, 04:30:26 PM
Just cancelled SXM. Surprising, they asked why, I said the cancellation of Dark Matter, and that was it. No attempt at getting me to keep the service at all. I guess their managers are saying "Don't argue with these people" or something.

Good for you. You are a hero. Sirius had a high quality product but failed to deliver.

Here's my two cents:

I think Art genuinely wanted to return, enjoyed it for the first few episodes, but soon remembered how much work it is to produce and maintain a quality radio program. Whether or not he made unrealistic demands of Sirius XM to get released from his contract, only Art knows. But now that it's over, I think he's relieved to be free of the burden. Art can say he explored streaming options and hide behind the non-compete clause to deflect widespread criticism from his fans. /End of Zeta talk

BobGrau

Quote from: Treading Water on November 12, 2013, 04:59:24 PM
Noooooooo, aldous....

No one in this nightmare landscape can hear me scream... :'(

Don't worry, we're all screaming with you.

whatatrip

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 12, 2013, 04:33:05 PM
They didn't extend the 30-day opt out clause, they waived it so that once Art Bell left he wouldn't be in breach of contract. Unfortunately they're holding him to the non-compete but SiriusXM has been incredibly generous when they didn't need to be.

I'm not convinced this isn't the outcome Sirius and Premier wanted all along.

The Doors - The End

Peace out ladies and gentleman. See you in 730 days.

DesertFox

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on November 12, 2013, 05:11:46 PM
Here's my two cents:

I think Art genuinely wanted to return, enjoyed it for the first few episodes, but soon remembered how much work it is to produce and maintain a quality radio program. Whether or not he made unrealistic demands of Sirius XM to get released from his contract, only Art knows. But now that it's over, I think he's relieved to be free of the burden. Art can say he explored streaming options and hide behind the non-compete clause to deflect widespread criticism from his fans. /End of Zeta talk

That's largely my thoughts.  I'm still loyal to Art the radio guy.  BUT NOT stupid and loyal.

tastycanadian

Maybe it's just me but I kind of read a lack of caring one way or the other from Mr. Bell. If he got his show back, he would of been happy but it just seems hes just as happy to sit on his ass and do nothing. His posts just seem so nonchalant about it all. like "oh well, signed another no compete, shit happens"
lol