• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

George Drooly

Well, the reason I thought of a Communion/Pulp Fiction mash up is because both feature Christopher Walken bemoaning a hunk of metal up HIS ASS

FortRock

I prefer to set the Art Bell version of Coast in the Star Trek Universe, but which show is it? Well it depends on which Captain Art Bell is most like!

*Is he a woman?

*Is he deeply drenched in the spiritual world, and a reluctant leader?

*Is he a highly professorial intellect who quotes from Shakespear?

*Is he a man of action, reluctant of violence, and sometimes is not logical?

I think Art's the last Captain on this list, that makes Art Captain James Tiberius Kirk! Kirk from The Old Series or TOS to us Trekkies!  So who would Art's Crew be?

As Spock: Richard C. Hoagland, the sometimes problematic, logical Science Officer/First Officer of the Enterprise (www.enterprisemission.com)

As Dr Leonard McCoy (Bones) Chief Medical Officer of the Enterprise: A now missing voice in the George Noory era, Nurse Joyce Reilly!

As Mr. Scott or Scotty, the Chief Engineer of the Enterprise. A man who engineers the magic of the extraterrestrial world for Coast, but has a decidedly non-command centric personality: Whitley Strieber!

As Chief Helmsman and Weapons Officer, the inner voice of action, and predictor of future events, and worries Lt. Sulu: Major Ed Dames!

As Chief Navigator Lt. Chekov, a man who from behind the scenes directed much of the editorial material of Coast as Art's philosphical benefactor, steering the show in effect: Bob Bigelow!

As Communications Officer Uhuru, the communicator of strange scientific information: Linda Moulton Howe!

This thread has officially boldy gone where no man has has gone before.

Ft. Rock, if hailing frequencies had been open, Linda would have known the truth about the cattle a long time ago!

Also,  who from the lexicon of Coast to Coast is your pick for George and Gracie, the whales from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, directed by Leonard Nimoy?!

FortRock

CAPTAIN ART BELL........THE CONTINUING VOYAGES.........LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

As to George and Gracie, we need to be creative in thought, and non-gender driven! What were their mission to Earth; passion, love, compassion, and caring for the Universe! I remember Art Bell in the political talk era of the 1980's, an Art Bell that I simply did not care for! What was his mission? Coldness, aloofness, every person for themselves. A radio voice of Ayn Rand! Art Bell thought technology could solve all problems, nothing was left as a heart's mission. THEN Art met at KDWN a true educator of the real heartfelt world, Ramona, Art changed into the man we all love today. Then when Ramona died, Art was convicted in his heart as to his grief when he brought groceries home alone after his love Ramona passed, and dropped his groceries on the porch and cried. A conviction that brought Gracie to him, Aryn to his life. He was convicted in his heart again by family and found love again! That is the mission of George and Gracie, spirit and love! Through this act of a real George and Gracie, Art spoke to us, and will speak to us about mindfelt passion, and the love and caring of the Universe! We will be delivered from George Noory, and the Imperial Klingon War Council by Art's love and passion!

Your right about the Cattle, I could write a whole posting on how Cattle Mutilations have affected our family cattle ranch. In fact I will do that early next week when I have time! It's this issue that brought me into nightly listening to Art!

Quote from: Fort Rock on March 24, 2011, 11:36:25 PM
As to George and Gracie, we need to be creative in thought, and non-gender driven!
The hell with that. Gracie is Glynnis McCants. You were all thinking it.

Quote from: Fort Rock on March 24, 2011, 11:36:25 PM
That is the mission of George and Gracie, spirit and love! Through this act of a real George and Gracie, Art spoke to us, and will speak to us about mindfelt passion, and the love and caring of the Universe! We will be delivered from George Noory, and the Imperial Klingon War Council by Art's love and passion!
Wow, man. What did you pack the bowl with?
Don't bogart, pass it over

ourobouros2k2

QuoteYou were all thinking it.  

mind reader...

MV/Liberace!

ok... let's face it.  this entire thread might be a steaming bag of shit.  OR... it might not.  i don't know yet.  however, if art DOES return, wouldn't it be kinda cool to think the entire episode, from departure to return, is chronicled right here in one neat, tidy thread on coastgab?  i think it would.

Eddie Coyle

Ironically, this thread kind of reminds me of Art's show in 1998-99,all the bold predictions about Y2K, the "what ifs" are endless.

Fly By Night

Mike I don't ever think this thread will be a steamin bag of shit. I do think it will provide a 100 psychologists enough material to study for a 100 years  ;D

This belongs here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morphiaflow

Guild Navigator for the win.

JeffreyLXV

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 20, 2011, 06:10:43 PM
   I believe he had back issues, and they can be excruciating...but Art's not moving furniture up and down stairs, he's doing radio. I felt the "bad back" reasoning was just an excuse for his bailing for a third time in 4 years.

I can't speak to why Art retired, however hosting talk-radio is a very laborious task, mentally and physically. Having pain and discomfort would be distracting to unbearable.

And using pain-killers detrimentally effects the host's intellect and judgment. Just look at Limbaugh.

Quote from: JeffreyLXV on March 26, 2011, 01:15:28 AM
I can't speak to why Art retired, however hosting talk-radio is a very laborious task, mentally and physically. Having pain and discomfort would be distracting to unbearable.

And using pain-killers detrimentally effects the host's intellect and judgment. Just look at Limbaugh.

Are you suggesting Art was hooked on painkillers or is this a straight up stab at Rush? Rush's judgment, for the most part, seems fine to me.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: JeffreyLXV on March 26, 2011, 01:15:28 AM
however hosting talk-radio is a very laborious task, mentally and physically.

Mentally, yes, it's a grind. Physically, are you shitting me? Digging ditches,unloading trucks,scrubbing toilets,washing windows at 300 feet up, etc...that's physically laborious. Radio isn't. Laryngitis and hemorrhoids could possibly occur...but on the whole, almost every blue-collar worker in the world would change places with a radio host instantaneously.

James G.

Seeing the supposed "evolution" of Coast-To-Coast AM in recent years, I feel Mr. Art Bell won't return because the program has taken another direction: Profit and ratings over integrity. Say what you want about me, but I'm the kind of independent, skeptically critical but optimistic thinker that Mr. Bell's approach fits well.

Perhaps Mr. Bell won't return because, simply put, the show doesn't want his "straight punch" style these days. I feel he's actually too much of a thinker to "fit the main mold" the program displays to me. While it once informed and opened true possibilities, Coast-To-Coast AM has become -- to me -- just entertainment. Good guests and plausible subjects are few and far between. That's why I gave it up.

Just like with some motion pictures, all it takes is one pioneering, solid, good "top box-office" original to spawn inferior, lame sequels. I see the current Coast-To-Coast AM as something like The Art Bell Sequel(s).

And note how often major stars who made the original great don't appear in the subsequent sequels. For whatever reasons. Yet, the series goes on without them, since the image and popularity is already established. Then sub-par plots and replacement performers take over.

While "fumbling around" on the Internet recently, I found out director George Miller began work several years ago on a fourth Mad Max film: Mad Max: Fury Road. Guess what? Without Mel Gibson. That I cannot see, or condone. Gibson is and will always be Max. It sound pretty lame, from I read online. The film is supposed to have 275 stunts? What? That's nearly a stunt every 30 seconds, if it's a two-hour or so movie! Who needs a plot, then? There's no room to fit one anyway. But for stunt players, it sounds to me the film should best be coined "The Great Australian Gold Rush."

From what I gathered about it, I create my own audio and visual mental imagery of such a film -- resembling a major-collegiate marching band falling down a flight of stairs.

A very long flight of stairs. 

Kind of like Coast-To-Coast AM these days. Lots of stunts make up for implausible or inferior story lines. It's about the "box-office" and "gross earnings," as such dazzle audiences with a lot of sound and fury.

It has, in a word and in my view, gone commercial.

Although Ian Punnett and George Knapp do quite often have solid shows, Art Bell is to Coast-To-Coast AM as Mel Gibson is to Mad Max.

Do I sense some graphic artist's "Art Bell pics that make us laugh" photo-manipulation coming on...Art Bell: The Road Warrior? I think he'd look cool tooling around in one of those blacked-out, over-the-top modified Australian 1973 XB GT
Ford Falcon coupes.

Also, as Mad Max's Falcon was to the films, Mr. Art Bell is "The Last Of The V-8 Interceptors" for Coast-To-Coast AM.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Sing along, children, as Tina Turner leads us:

We don't need the current show host
We don't need someone who always drones
All we want is Coast-To-Coast
Beyond the monotones

anagrammy

Truer words were never spoken than "Art Bell is to Coast to Coast what Mel Gibson was to Mad Max."  Sigh.  They should just up and rename the show.  Call it the "Good Ole Coastie" (after Good Ole Opry) and be done with it.  George will have made it his and he can do his Lawrence Welk equivalent.

Anyhow, Agent O and I were chatting over at the Ian Punnet thread and got talking about C2C after Ramona died and related "what was going on before the Halloween show" speculation, so we're moving it here.

If I recall, what was going on before the Halloween show was contract negotiations.  It was in that setting that we lost Art.  It seems clear to me that they wanted to penalize Art for not fulfilling his contract and, perhaps, to make his show more like Noory's now that Noory was "making it his own."  Art would never have stood for that plus he knew that triple screening won't give you a show with enough energy to keep grownups home listening to the radio while passing out candy.  Or, alternatively, listening to the radio until they pass out....

He let the Hot Air reign and bowed out gracefully, with a good settlement, I hope.  Fast forward to the present:  we stand eager and quiet, like the country of Argentina waiting for news of Eva Peron.  Now that Coast is sinking weekly and, according to those in the know, ratings are sinking, the viability of the George Noory version has got to be in question.  We now have evidence from his own lips to our straining ears that "change is coming."  We are hoping, it will be change that will provide Art's fans with a program that continues the groundwork that he layed rather than the waxy similitude the show has become. 

Can someone else carry the torch?  I think so -- I think George Knapp does a credible job and Ian Punnett is entertaining.

If I were Sylvia Brown, I would be seeing Art can producing a new show out of Nevada with the help of his legions of friends in the radio business.

Anagrammy

Scully

Arthur W. Bell has a page on Facebook now.  One of his friends is George Knapp.  Time will tell if this is legit, but it looks like the real thing. Several of my buddies have been accepted as friends.  I was late arriving on the scene, but have now requested friendship, too.

Art has posted on the "People Who Miss Art Bell" FB website, and he surely does sound like the real deal. He says Airyn convinced him to open the page, and also that he is planning a website. Happy hunting.  ;) 

Quote from: anagrammy on March 27, 2011, 08:23:53 PM
Anyhow, Agent O and I were chatting over at the Ian Punnet thread and got talking about C2C after Ramona died and related "what was going on before the Halloween show" speculation, so we're moving it here.

If I recall, what was going on before the Halloween show was contract negotiations.  It was in that setting that we lost Art.  It seems clear to me that they wanted to penalize Art for not fulfilling his contract and, perhaps, to make his show more like Noory's now that Noory was "making it his own."  Art would never have stood for that plus he knew that triple screening won't give you a show with enough energy to keep grownups home listening to the radio while passing out candy.  Or, alternatively, listening to the radio until they pass out....
You may very well be right on this, but it does seem strange to me that he used screeners in the past (singe GN began full time or thereabouts). It definitely robs the show of it's spontaneity and sucks the life out of open lines which have suffered the most under the new regime.

That having been said, was it the screened callers that got to him during Halloween? Maybe. I suspect it was more complicated though, with a lot of politics going on backstage that we really have no idea of at this point. I don't think we have enough information to determine exactly what straw it was that broke the camel's back. However I think we can probably agree on a whole range of factors that contributed to his retirement collectively.

Until Art comes out and says "It was this!" we are speculating and won't know the whole story. Since I can't see Art making that kind of statement especially with the slim pickings he's put out there to date, current management giving his departure such slim lip service on air, and the attempts to gracefully sweep him under the rug without really addressing the issue, I suspect that we will never really know the whole story. 

Quote from: anagrammy on March 27, 2011, 08:23:53 PM
...to make his show more like Noory's now that Noory was "making it his own."  Art would never have stood for that
Snip
This rings true to me. Art was the original and probably would not have wanted to change his style to conform to the approach of someone else.

FortRock

SCULLY, you gave us a HUGE clue as to the future! Facebook, "I Miss Art Bell" (with I believe is an authentic posting)! It's all beginning to sound like www.artbell.com, without www.artbell.com! As they would say at any major auto race, "gentleman start your engines", the engine called the Art Bell HAS started, with the support of Airyn! This is HUGE! Something I've been wanting to discuss is Child Development, I work as a teacher (the same profession of Airyn's training)! When Art Bell chimed in and quoted Asia as saying, "daddy do you need to work?", all sorts of alarm bells went off in my head! You see children NEED for their parents to provide a work-centric example for them! Else all of this idle time thought allows kids to deviate to unwholesome activities! Airyn knows this keenly! So Art's radio interest drive actually is of great benefit to Asia's development emotionally/psychologically! AND we have George Knapp along for the ride! Sounds like the new start-up Art Bell Show is the selected option! THIS is the "change" Art Bell talked about! George Noory time to get out of town, the Marshal is returning to Dodge!

ourobouros2k2

OK, am as of yet unconvinced. Several on the friends list are or are pages of or dedicated to former guests, so I don't know. Crossing fingers though..

Andy

Is the facebook page for Arthur W. Bell III? His profile pic shows the Pahrump homestead right?

Merchant Gal

Direct from the HAMCAMS website, furnished by a Hong Kong ham who recently spoke live to Art,  to a CA ham, and I quote:

"Part of the exciting news is that Art has nearly secured permission to put up a tower and beam antenna on top of his 200 foot building.  Cool.  Now we can talk to him again, at least on twenty."

Is that equipment strong enough to broadcast a show to the USA ??  This area of expertise is not my long suit.

ourobouros2k2

Amateur (ham) gear would be insufficient to broadcast a feed, not to mention that those frequencies are not intended for that. Satellite feed or more likely an internet feed (something equivalent to ISDN line of years past) would be a better bet..

FWIW I had to search the comments in the "people who miss art" fanpage to find the posts from the person stating that they are art. Searching arthur w. bell does not bring up the page. A note was just released from the owner of the page from art saying that he legally cannot discuss coast, and that big announcements were coming at the end of the year. Also a cryptic message indicating possible health issues.

"Arthur W. Bell III
MJ, radio is part of my molecular makeup, it is who i am. Legally i cannot discuss C2C at this time. So i will refrain from doing so, but that will all soon change. I will be making some Big announcements at the end of the year if everything goes well, but for now i am dedicating my full and undivided attention to my Wife & Daughter and try to get the most i can out of every single day i have left. thank you MJ. "

YNOT

If the info from HAMCAMS is correct it tells me two things.

1) If Art is actively pursuing this antenna, he has no plans on leaving.
2) He's probably using ham for his radio fix...

Perhaps I'm hitting some later stage of grief... It's getting harder for me to deny the possibility that
he may just have really retired for good...sigh.

Also, I looked at the Arthur W Bell on George Knapp's FB. Knapp asks him if he's the real Art Bell and is obviously suspicious, so I doubt highly that This is the real Slim Shady... just another Facebook poser with nothing better to do...

Eddie Coyle

Yeah, it makes perfect sense that a soon to be 66 year old expatriate, who hasn't done a full time gig since December,2002 is going to come storming back. Absolutely plausible ;D

Nobody knows what Art will do. He's an odd duck to say the least. The retirements etc...but anybody listening to him in 2006-07 when big "changes" occurred in his personal life should be aware that Art is a strange,strange dude. And C2C means more to you than it does to him. Be honest, Art's "moved on"(dare I say,abandoned) from far more important things in his life than a radio show.

The General

God damn I love Art Bell and his old C2C shows.  It was some of the best radio ever done.

Nick el Ass

I have quit listening to Coast to Coast Am. No matter who the guest is, or how good they are there is no redeeming it with the current host. I only listen to Art Bell and will support him in whatever he does. Thankfully, we have this site and the ability to hear all the old shows.

Quote from: The General on March 28, 2011, 02:17:40 PM
God damn I love Art Bell and his old C2C shows.  It was some of the best radio ever done.

I can agree with this. Also, Art Bell is not my "daddy" and he owes me NOTHING.

Scully

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 28, 2011, 03:06:37 PM

I can agree with this. Also, Art Bell is not my "daddy" and he owes me NOTHING.

Guildnavigator, I've noticed that your avatar shows a striking resemblance to Art.  Has there been some suggestion that you are Art's son, or am I being too literal?  ???