• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

TumbleWeed

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 07, 2013, 05:18:17 AM

He's an adorable little rascal, isn't he?

Where's he from? Adorable little rascal, Hahaha.

Finally caught up and listened to the Halloween show, Spooky Matter. 

I didn't read through the whole thread devoted to that show, but everyone must have noticed Art played George's Elvis song as a bumper "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You", except instead of the Elvis version he played the UB40 cover.

Perhaps too subtle for George.

jazmunda

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 09, 2013, 11:57:33 PM
Finally caught up and listened to the Halloween show, Spooky Matter. 

I didn't read through the whole thread devoted to that show, but everyone must have noticed Art played George's Elvis song as a bumper "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You", except instead of the Elvis version he played the UB40 cover.

Perhaps too subtle for George.

Art has been playing the UB40 version for years.

Quote from: jazmunda on November 09, 2013, 11:59:28 PM

Heh, I guess I never noticed. 

To tell you the truth, I don't remember ever hearing that song before George started singing it.  If I did, to me it's so bland and boring I must have just tuned it out and it didn't register until George made it fun.

I liked your story, by the way.

Falkie2013

Quote from: CornyCrow on November 09, 2013, 08:20:19 AM
Thank you.

However, the typhoon is still pissed.
It heard the show about the default and thought Art was moving to the philipines and was trying to get him because the typhoon is mad that Art quit too.

Falkie2013

Quote from: jazmunda on November 09, 2013, 11:59:28 PM

Here's $noory's cover version on You Tube :

" I Can't Help Sucking Night After Night For You. "

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 31, 2013, 03:04:22 PM

My first guess is that he's going to add Fridays to his schedule.

Second guess is that Art Bell getting a 24/7 channel, but the one doubt in my mind is that this is a little soon for that to be happening. I'd think they would want to see the numbers over the next few months...

ah, yes... how I recall the sweet, innocent, forgotten days of guessing what would be the "announcement."

kingdomofsigh

Quote from: MV on November 10, 2013, 05:38:13 AM
ah, yes... how I recall the sweet, innocent, forgotten days of guessing what would be the "announcement."

Hostages strapped to tables as shields...

Quick Change - whiny hostage Bill Murray Jason Robards Geena Davis

Titanic

Thanks, Art, for your efforts on our behalf.  Thank you also for getting  me through the 1990's.
Best wishes to you and your lovely family.

GSD

Been gone a while, I told so many of you that Art DID NOT sign for big money and now you can see I was right.

I don't agree with what Art did.

RedMichael

His base salary was not big but he was to receive a share of profits correct? Wasn't it the ratings that drove him to quit? He can say it was for anything else, but those two go hand in hand a little too well.

Quote from: RedMichael on November 12, 2013, 07:41:47 AM
His base salary was not big but he was to receive a share of profits correct? Wasn't it the ratings that drove him to quit? He can say it was for anything else, but those two go hand in hand a little too well.
It was 75k per year and then some unknown % from the ccrane and other "Art" advertisements he read.

urbie88

Quote from: RedMichael on November 12, 2013, 07:41:47 AM

That's the thing. SXM doesn't do ratings. They gauge success by subscriber base.

b_dubb

have you guys heard Art Bell quit Dark Matter?

Spinner

Everyone, please go to the SiriusXM FaceBook page and demand that they release Art from the Non-Compete

Sirius' FB page: https://www.facebook.com/siriusxm

Free Art Bell!!!

Quote from: onan on July 03, 2013, 03:49:22 PM
I smell a big ol' bowl of home cooked disappointment about to be served.

stlrock

Hi All,
Brand new here.  I just listened to Art as a guest on a Podcast and it gave me an idea as to circumnavigating his NC contract.  Bring him on as a guest every night on somebody's podcast and let him interview all the guests.  It will be Art's show, however, he will be promoted as a guest 4 nights a week for 4 hours.  If he is allowed to be interviewed on a podcast, then why not be a "nightly guest".....Just Saying

Peace

Dave Noorie

Maybe he can buy out his contract.  Also you guys made Art's point on the gabcast. You had way better callers on a podcast than Art had on the Sirius platform.   

jazmunda

Quote from: onan on July 03, 2013, 03:49:22 PM
I smell a big ol' bowl of home cooked disappointment about to be served.

Good times. So naive and full of hope. Now we are like junkies who have turned into anarchist trying one last time to stick it to the man.

#freeartbell

Falkie2013

Quote from: Dave Noorie on November 14, 2013, 04:45:57 PM
Maybe he can buy out his contract.  Also you guys made Art's point on the gabcast. You had way better callers on a podcast than Art had on the Sirius platform.

" welcome to the bellcast network. bong...bong ... klonk ! "

john_malone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 12, 2013, 08:19:57 AM
It was 75k per year and then some unknown % from the ccrane and other "Art" advertisements he read.
75K?
And they pay Howard 80 million + 60% of the advertising.

Its insane. Howard raked in over 900 million from Sirius during his first 5 years. (500 million base, 28 million merger bonus, 330 million subscriber bonus + 30-50% of the advertising). And Sirius pays a legend like Art 75K?

LAM4:2

Quote from: john_malone on November 15, 2013, 05:13:57 PM
75K?

Its insane. Howard raked in over 900 million from Sirius during his first 5 years. (500 million base, 28 million merger bonus, 330 million subscriber bonus + 30-50% of the advertising). And Sirius pays a legend like Art 75K?
I bet their interns get paid more than 75k.

One thing about Art handling callers that I don't think I've seen anyone mention - much of the time it's not so much the conversation he has with them, it's the comments he makes after they hang up.

In addition to everything else, he's very very good at summing up a dull call or a rambling mess (theirs), pulling out a nugget, and saying something interesting about it.

Spinner

I'm now listening to SIT, an open lines show from Oct. 24, 1996.
Entertaining as always, but,
I miss hearing Art Bell live.  :(

DanTSX

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 12, 2013, 08:19:57 AM

He was t going to get rich off of it.  All together, that probably a $150k / yr gig.  Nice salary for talking it up with Jazmunda and random cat ladies, but not enough to entice Art back just for the money.  Remember, he sold the C2CAM rights for a substantial sum many years ago.  He also had sold knye and had done well in his cable tv business before coast.

Art's earnings from DM were more of an Honararium that anything else.

DanTSX

Quote from: LAM4:2 on November 15, 2013, 06:32:38 PM
I bet their interns get paid more than 75k.

Interns?  Maybe a little bit less than that, but starting salaries in production are going to be about $75-82k in NYC.  But $100k is barely living in NYC

fave

Quote from: john_malone on November 15, 2013, 05:13:57 PM
75K?

Howard also went directly from terrestrial to Sirius at the top of his game.

He wasn't off the air for a decade.

Morgus

I have noticed recently lots of TV ads about Sirius/XM where they are pushing FREE listening for everyone with de-activated radios thru Dec 3.
Maybe the loss of Art Bell caused lots of subscriber cancellations and this is their reaction to try to entice new subscribers?

Zoxo

I have nothing to listen to at night any more. It is very depressing. I'm thinking of just listening to music... crap that's what I hear all day. Not into anything but Art Bell.

Zoxo

Quote from: Zoxo on November 22, 2013, 06:54:24 PM
I have nothing to listen to at night any more. It is very depressing. I'm thinking of just listening to music... crap that's what I hear all day. Not into anything but Art Bell.

A friend of Art's told me about a podcast called www.noagendashow.com

has anyone heard of this one before?