• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

jblank

Quote from: shell88 on November 06, 2013, 12:55:41 PM
We really don't have access to any of that private contract Art signed with them.  Art said he loves radio and wants to do a show. He has seen all the reactions here. Really people writing can have a profound effect on company decisions if your direct, succinct, polite, and to the point.   
People who complain and don't do a thing about what they are complaining about waste everybody's time and energy -  not to mention drain it.
Negativity SUCKS -worse than George Noory -and that's pretty bad.   

I've posted this no fewer than five times now, nobody ever answers.

Go get a job, then immediately start asking for concessions. After six weeks (if you're still there) DEMAND special treatment, that could possibly cost that company money, and set a bad precedent for other employees also, and see what their reaction would be. Please, go try that, come back, and then let me know how it works for you.

aldousburbank

Quote from: grano salis on November 06, 2013, 01:57:13 PM

I can assure you that no one from Sirius cares about this site.
You're not sirius right?

DesertFox

Quote from: Ravenna on November 06, 2013, 01:52:53 PM
My problem with this new tactic of Art's (he works for free, and Sirius allows him to live stream on his website), is that it is only a great thing IF Sirius agrees to it, which they well may.  If Sirius does not agree to it, I don't see how Art can then go off and have an online streaming show on his own website.  As I understand it, since he signed a two year non-compete clause, he would be unable to do this for two years.  If Art is back live on air (or internet streaming) anytime soon seems to me completely depends on Sirius agreeing to Art's latest offer to them.  Let us hope they accept it.

Yes--that's what I was saying...if they say no, its after the NC.  Not optimal at all BUT a solid promise/target date.

jblank

Quote from: Shawnee on November 06, 2013, 12:59:55 PM
Negative?  Art left...it was his choice...his doing...Wake up and come back to reality.  You should try putting this energy into something that you can benefit from.

They have no concept of how the business world works, or how contracts are. To them, Sirius is the bad guy, for not giving Art everything he wants, even though they had already done a lot of things that he asked them to do, right from the moment he signed the contract. These are the same people that don't blame people on welfare for their own problems, and think it is always someone else's fault, never their own.

Art screwed up.....ROYALLY! He worked less than six weeks and was making demands like he was bigger than Howard Stern and bringing legions of listeners and advertisers. His inflated ego (as usual) got in the way, and his childishness reared its head (again) and he took his ball and went home.

After all that, a small minority here, STILL want to place the blame with Sirius? That makes no sense whatsoever.

saucerlike

I never had a problem with the xm streaming on my pc.  My trial is expiring in a couple weeks but I've still got some hope for the show and plan to purchase at least a month subscription.  There's just no way I'm listening to Coast with anybody except George Knapp.  This community needs your voice, just not the same otherwise.  Hope you come back, Art.

jblank

Quote from: maureen on November 06, 2013, 01:06:07 PM
I[m with Art. We're in it for the love of the art. Must EVERYTHING have a price-tag on it??!!

Yes. You obviously have never run a business or even had a budget in your home. Short of breathing in air, things cost money, and companies, especially ones that aren't exactly in the greatest fiscal shape, aren't going to give their programming away, especially when it is a subscriber based medium.

I wish you people would come back to this planet rather than planet Art'snutsack and understand how things work.

Stan_Holeman

Why didn't he do a streaming show of his own previously if that's what he wanted to do?

No, his excuse is bs. I think he wanted his show to be bigger than big, crush Coast, and make him filthy rich like Stern or Limbaugh. He figured he had a huge base of supporters and could take the 75k salary as long as he could pocket half the profits. ....And then he did the show and got the ratings. Nothing amazing, so he's left wondering why put in the time and effort?

Or it could be something completely unrelated we don't know about. Why the hell was he so anxious to move all his assets back to the Philippines? No one's adequately explained that little threatened show stopper in the middle of October.

I don't begrudge the man his choice. It's his life, and he doesn't much like doing a radio show anymore. Don't know why...I sure like hearing the shows.

As far as why he'd come back here and keep repeating the streaming line? I suspect he feels guilty. He really did lead a lot of his loyal listeners to waste their limited resources on satellite radios and subscriptions. I would hope he'd feel bad about it. I don't think you'd go to hell for that, but it sure isn't one of the classiest moves ever made. Should have just done a free terrestrial show, or gone in explaining it might be temporary, etc.

I know a lot of fans don't like hearing it, but it was a douche move if he was just unhappy with his audience draw.

jblank

Quote from: shell88 on November 06, 2013, 01:11:56 PM
You won't be stealing any more of mine. Glad I'm not on your team. Your a liability not an asset.

Oh my God! Sorry the real world is interfering with your fantasyland.

Sorry, but you get this.

DesertFox

Quote from: Stan_Holeman on November 06, 2013, 02:07:05 PM
Why didn't he do a streaming show of his own previously if that's what he wanted to do?

No, his excuse is bs. I think he wanted his show to be bigger than big, crush Coast, and make him filthy rich like Stern or Limbaugh. He figured he had a huge base of supporters and could take the 75k salary as long as he could pocket half the profits. ....And then he did the show and got the ratings. Nothing amazing, so he's left wondering why put in the time and effort?

Or it could be something completely unrelated we don't know about. Why the hell was he so anxious to move all his assets back to the Philippines? No one's adequately explained that little threatened show stopper in the middle of October.

I don't begrudge the man his choice. It's his life, and he doesn't much like doing a radio show anymore. Don't know why...I sure like hearing the shows.

As far as why he'd come back here and keep repeating the streaming line? I suspect he feels guilty. He really did lead a lot of his loyal listeners to waste their limited resources on satellite radios and subscriptions. I would hope he'd feel bad about it. I don't think you'd go to hell for that, but it sure isn't one of the classiest moves ever made. Should have just done a free terrestrial show, or gone in explaining it might be temporary, etc.

I know a lot of fans don't like hearing it, but it was a douche move if he was just unhappy with his audience draw.

Again you ignore, Art said the show is coming regardless if Sirius says no.  Why would he lie about this?  No need to--would only make it worse.

Jackstar

*makes dismissive hand-waving gestures*

See you next month!

jblank

Quote from: Stan_Holeman on November 06, 2013, 01:27:47 PM
Art quitting had nothing to do with streaming, stop buying his bullshit excuse. Only he knows why he quit, but I assure you it wasn't streaming.

Problems at home? Bored with the paranormal? Not making enough money? Legal issues we don't know about? Health issues we don't know about?

If he had wanted to do a show, he could have been on every night of the week across the nation the past 10 years (and he'd have made a ton of cash doing it). He doesn't like it for some reason and he's done.  This was it.

zeebo

Quote from: laserjock on November 06, 2013, 10:39:56 AM
Amen!  Seems many men are obsessed with being unpleasant, they seem to get off on it.

I wonder if maybe they're so complete ignored and irrelevant in real life that posting anonymous attacks just to get some kind of response from anyone gives them a tiny increase in their feeling of personal power. 

It's like they're the weakest level 1 elf in some lame role-playing game, and by lashing out at the local townspeople they get a little power-up gem that gives them a 5 minute boost to level 2, before they retreat back into the safety of the shadows.

Marc.Knight

Flaming:  Flaming is defined as a hostile and insulting interaction between users.  Please use common sense and keep the sensibilities of others in mind when posting.

TOS: http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,3031.msg62364.html#msg62364

tertiaryimam

Quote from: peppermint elvis on November 06, 2013, 08:59:18 AM

I do get it, Elvis has been gone for so long and there is nobody who can replace him, I may benefit from the finality of his death by not expecting him to come to my city or put out a new record, but Art is not gone from us and of course I am angry that he and his new show is gone, but the situation sucks, not Art Bell.

C2C is not what it was but it has become a mere choice from among many late night radio shows now, none of which come close to Art Bell but there are paranormal shows out there.

I just bought a dark matter shirt and a mug from Arts Parts last week and I will put my shirt on and drink coffee out of my mug and wait.........

Well, I am glad to there's another coffee drinker out there. I thought I was the only one!

Peppermint, with all due respect, I think that you are subscribing to a kind of neo-Platonic dualism when you divide the "situation" from "Art Bell." This goes back to the classic division of "flesh" vs. "spirit", or the Cartesian "body" vs. "mind". Reality, I fear, is not so simple: when a situation involves our decision, it becomes part of our being. I know we would all prefer to believe that there is some inner core or kernal that stands above the fray, but it is simply not so. Esse ist hiptapatomus, as Aristotle said. Our transgressions are an integral part of our being. There is no essence without an attribute, no attribute without an essence --- and both, in the end, are one reciprocal totality.

If the situation sucks, and it involves Art's decisions, then --- dare I say --- Art is somewhat complicit in the suckage. One may even look at it as an outgrowth of his inner position.

I suggest you read Martin Luther's "Bondage of the Will". He does a very good job of describing the lack of division between essence and attribute in terms of our psychology, and it is by breaking down these barriers that the later Industrial Revolution was allowed to begin. So long as women and men believed there was a bright, pure realm apart from the toilet-water world of sense, so long as we did not invent machines of immortality and megadeath. But those days are long passed.

I wish you well, Peppermint. Godspeed.

Quote from: Stan_Holeman on November 06, 2013, 01:27:47 PM
Art quitting had nothing to do with streaming, stop buying his bullshit excuse. Only he knows why he quit, but I assure you it wasn't streaming.

Problems at home? Bored with the paranormal? Not making enough money? Legal issues we don't know about? Health issues we don't know about?

If he had wanted to do a show, he could have been on every night of the week across the nation the past 10 years (and he'd have made a ton of cash doing it). He doesn't like it for some reason and he's done.  This was it.

Art is a liar.  It is always lies and it is always about cold hard cash.  He is a narcissist with all the symptoms and signs, we chose and still some choose not to see them.  Talk to all his ex wives and all his ex children. 

Stan_Holeman

Quote from: DesertFox on November 06, 2013, 02:10:50 PM

Again you ignore, Art said the show is coming regardless if Sirius says no.  Why would he lie about this?  No need to--would only make it worse.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm not believing it. I imagine technical challenges and previous commitments will make it impossible.

He had a show. He picked his schedule. He got a studio built for himself on his property. He got total control over guests. He got money to do it. ...and he STILL quit.

That tells all us we should need to know. He doesn't want to do it. 

jblank

Quote from: Quick Karl on November 06, 2013, 01:37:20 PM
It's one thing to be disappointed with Art's choices and voice an opinion about it, but it's a whole other ball game to be an asshole to someone you say you love because they made a choice that is obviously going to upset your woefully empty life.

This used to be a great site, and the Noory bashing was often hilarious, but what a bunch of fucking douchebags! You fucking idiots don't have the sense to think that if anyone from Sirius were to read this they would tell Art to fuck off cause his "fans" hate him.

We've become a country infected with Wal-Mart Citizens.

Actually, if you read the entire thread, you'd have some hope that America actually isn't entirely populated by people who are perfectly fine with people breaking contracts, not honoring their word, and blaming the other guy for self-created problems. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how all this is the fault of Sirius/XM, when it was Mr. Bell who walked away. I loved his show, made my very happy that he came back, but even though I liked his show (and him) I'm not blinded by it  like most of you are, and I am able to see that he made a huge mistake, and shouldn't have walked away.

We all love our children, but if they go to school and burn it down, you're still gonna be majorly pissed off at them. Art burned his career down (again), so while I like him and his show, I'm not going to slobber all over him like some teenage girl groupie, because he is the one that fucked this whole thing up.

ald

Quote from: Art Bell on November 06, 2013, 03:30:29 AM
My goodness I was watching a show on the DVR with my child Bride and come back to this?  Of course I am not going to commit sewerpipe, I said all that tounge in cheek and I did not say anything that was not said here and over and over, spread out over 106 pages or so. My skin as I age is indeed getting thinner but my public skin has never been thicker. I just thought you would like to see how the same words used here would sound coming from me. I have not changed my mind about free streaming and intend to make it a reality one way or the other. I have asked Sirius to allow me to act as a Private Broadcaster, then as other shows do, I could stay on Sirius and would be free to stream all I want.
If they go for that all will be well, It would mean no pay from Sirius but I am good with that, I do not need the money. If Sirius says no, then I will, at the first opportunity stream from artbell.com.

Again, I am sorry that some people invested in a radio or a stream and if a deal is not reached will have lost out. You do not know what
was going on behind the scenes for those six Weeks and if you did I think you might understand, or considering the makeup of some of this
group perhaps not, but I was trying to act in the interest of the listener, not myself.

I still love this board. There is something about the core group that is somewhat loveable and I still feel that way, I do know trolls when I see them, and I can guess where they slime in from. I am toying with the idea of new hours for the show....

There is only one good way to proceed and that is with a better product. That is what I intend to do.

Art

I think if you streamed from your website I would listen for sure. Actually seems more convenient than the data drain that satellite radio is. I hope you figure something out. I am pretty sure some of your hardcore fans are not really posting since this particular thread seems to have been spoiled by rioters and stuff.

grano salis

And it could be "worse"?

Quote from: maureen on November 06, 2013, 01:06:07 PM
I[m with Art. We're in it for the love of the art. Must EVERYTHING have a price-tag on it??!!

All Art Bell is concerned with is his bottom line.  You are a fool to believe anything else.  Loving what the man does for a LIVING is one thing, acknowledging Bell as a fucked up individual is another.

tprainbow

I just woke up and read Art's posts from last night, now while i would have preferred to hear this stuff via a show, as i said so he could lasso the support he deserves, I am thrilled that he sounds committed to making things right and perhaps he did all along. Perhaps he thought he could win this fight on his own and that would spare him the most integrity. That said....

I've been on here for a few days, my first couple of posts were to say the least, well...they reflected clear textbook emotional shock. I was angry, mainly because i thought he'd just disappear again. Had I known he would ever potentially read the things i wrote, i would have never written them so childishly. I thought i was just pissing in the wind...and I'm pretty sure i said that even...but i came here to express my heartbreak and frustration. But it didn't take long for me to realize the gravity of the situation we've all created here. I'm not going to speak for all of you, just a lot of you. We kinda fucked up. I think a lot of us thought "this was it"....and that there was absolutely no way we or Art would or could save this. Then Art shows up and through all this shit storm and actually makes an effort towards us....multiple times. He did something that takes a huge pair of nether-dangles given the unfounded personal attacks being portrayed against him. The man has all he needs to live a happy life without any of this, without any of us......

I had a dream lastnight. In this dream I was with my wife in a hotel lobby, and a familiar man walked into the lobby and was greeted by a woman whom he was incredibly warm and cordial with. At that point, i hear "the voice", the only "voice" that i will ever, ever, ever recognize as "the voice" which was that of Mr Art Bell. Art proceeded to sit down in a chair next to us. He gave off the allure of a wise man, while battered and beaten by the ebbs and flows of life, he appeared to have taken all that very well as a man to be respected tends to. I very timidly began to have small talk conversation with him, and he, unaware that i knew who he was, was very willing to have small talk with me...so ahead i pushed...I introduced myself, and told him i was in the audio production business, he exhibited a big warm grin and let out his signature "ahhhhh" as if he were interested or it had struck a chord in him. He proceeded to tell me he was in town with one of his children looking at colleges. After a bit of small talk, i introduced my name and he shook my hand and said "Art" very kindly. I said "forgive me sir, but you are the great Art Bell...am i mistaken?" He responded "I am, though perhaps not great... I do what I love, it is my absolute passion" I smiled at him and said "a man that does what he loves, that pursues his passion is truly a great man for that road is no easy one"  he smiled and thanked me. We had many more conversations about the trials and tribulations of being a self-made man and pursuing passion, but all the while he was extremely humble and kind. I confessed what a huge fan i'd been over the years and he seemed to truly grateful, at peace with his position in the life of this total stranger that was me, as if I were his own family. He said "I've got a little something for you" and then scribbled something down on a piece of paper. "Mr Bell" the concierge called him up to the counter, he said to me "it was very nice talking to you" and got up and went to the counter. I held this piece of paper for the duration of the dream, yet somehow could not open it to read it....I woke up crying.

I'm not sure what the piece of paper said...but i have a good idea. I'm still emotional about the dream... embarrassed for some of the things i said those first several hours after I found out. All i ever wanted was the opportunity to hear this amazing voice say the things that he says, the way he says them...and what did i do when i thought i lost that opportunity? I acted like a scared little child in ways i could never see myself behaving. Art Bell has been my best friend of the nighttime from the time I was 13 years old. Around that time i began to discover I suffered from chronic insomnia, and boy was he the best goddamn friend i could have ever asked for. I owe him a great debt of gratitude. I'd do anything for an old friend in need. Perhaps the most difficult part of all this is that I don't know what I can be doing...its like watching helplessly as something terrible happens to someone you love. I guess I was, in the end, dishonest with myself about how much i care about Art and his shows and work. But when the guy starts showing up in your dreams...its time to slow down and think about things before you piss them all over the internet-rug.

I will always love Art Bell unconditionally. Show or not. The man holds a special place in my heart ALWAYS.

DesertFox

Quote from: Stan_Holeman on November 06, 2013, 02:16:51 PM
I'm not ignoring it, I'm not believing it. I imagine technical challenges and previous commitments will make it impossible.

He had a show. He picked his schedule. He got a studio built for himself on his property. He got total control over guests. He got money to do it. ...and he STILL quit.

Then he wouldn't lie about doing it IF he has no intention of doing so.  He'd just apologize, make excuses and leave.

jblank

Quote from: zeebo on November 06, 2013, 02:13:56 PM
I wonder if maybe they're so complete ignored and irrelevant in real life that posting anonymous attacks just to get some kind of response from anyone gives them a tiny increase in their feeling of personal power. 

It's like they're the weakest level 1 elf in some lame role-playing game, and by lashing out at the local townspeople they get a little power-up gem that gives them a 5 minute boost to level 2, before they retreat back into the safety of the shadows.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone thought the same way and didn't have differing opinions.

jblank

Quote from: Philosopher on November 06, 2013, 02:14:50 PM
Flaming:  Flaming is defined as a hostile and insulting interaction between users.  Please use common sense and keep the sensibilities of others in mind when posting.

TOS: http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,3031.msg62364.html#msg62364

Well then why is Jackstar still here?  :o

No offense intended, but if the TOS is gonna get thrown around for this thread, there won't be anybody left on the forum.  :)

DesertFox

Quote from: grano salis on November 06, 2013, 02:18:28 PM

And it could be "worse"?

Yes--not saying it isn't bad now.  No need to make a new lie and make it worse.  Zero need.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: jblank on November 06, 2013, 02:17:11 PM
We all love our children, but if they go to school and burn it down, you're still gonna be majorly pissed off at them. Art burned his career down (again), so while I like him and his show, I'm not going to slobber all over him like some teenage girl groupie, because he is the one that fucked this whole thing up.

I think art has a problem. I've seen it before: people who routinely make bad decisions. The only answer for this is to stop making decisions and entrust yourself to the care of someone wiser than you. Your pride suffers, yes, but all our pride is doomed to suffer when we are thrown-ass first into that lonely grave of our forever. Pride is cheap, but nothing is as valuable as the lives you can touch while here in this life.

It is time, I'm afraid, for art bell to crack out the Ouijia board again. Andy Rooney is waiting with open arms, art. In the Netherlands.

Summon him, art, when the stars are right. Write down what he says. Engrave it upon thy heart. Learn it. Live by it. Love it.

Again you ignore, Art said the show is coming regardless if Sirius says no.

In two years. He has to honor the NCA if he doesn't return to Dark Matter. Let's just see if SiriusXM, after all of their generous offers, decides to take him up on no pay/free stream on his website. When he signed on, they touted how the legendary Art Bell would be exclusive programming and it rapidly fell apart by his own doing. No more "offensive" commercials, another phone line, internet stream increased from 90 minutes to 4 hours, all of these at his request because management tried to work with him. Sirius is not to blame here - they promised a long term solution for any streaming issues on their end and it wasn't enough. 

As I said before: Art showed more attention to those having the occasional trouble with the internet stream using a free trial than those loyal listeners who signed up and had radios ready to go for his first show back. To leave those people in the lurch when SiriusXM promised a long term solution to the stream issues is wrong, plain and simple. We waited years, he gave us six weeks.

jblank

Quote from: Stan_Holeman on November 06, 2013, 02:16:51 PM

/threadover

Couldn't have said it better.

DesertFox

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 06, 2013, 02:25:31 PM
In two years. He has to honor the NCA if he doesn't return to Dark Matter. Let's just see if SiriusXM, after all of their generous offers, decides to take him up on no pay/free stream on his website. When he signed on, they touted how the legendary Art Bell would be exclusive programming and it rapidly fell apart by his own doing. No more "offensive" commercials, another phone line, internet stream increased from 90 minutes to 4 hours, all of these at his request because management tried to work with him. Sirius is not to blame here - they promised a long term solution for any streaming issues on their end and it wasn't enough. 

As I said before: Art showed more attention to those having the occasional trouble with the internet stream using a free trial than those loyal listeners who signed up and had radios ready to go for his first show back. To leave those people in the lurch when SiriusXM promised a long term solution to the stream issues is wrong, plain and simple. We waited years, he gave us six weeks.

Yes I stated a couple times it would most likely be 2 years.