• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Stan_Holeman

What Art Should Do.

1. Return to Dark Matter on Sirius/XM.

2. Apologize for making a selfish decision that screwed everyone over.

3. Apologize for blaming it on streaming.

4. Commit to doing the show for his contract.

5. Thank all his fans for sticking with him all these years.

OR if there is a bigger, legitimate, reason why he can't continue the show.

1. Return to Dark Matter on Sirius/XM for one show.

2. Apologize for choosing a pay service which required his fans to spend money.

3. Apologize for the nonsense excuse about streaming.

4. Stop bullshitting and--honestly--tell us why he's not continuing.

What he'll probably do:

1. Not go back on the air.

2. Continue to post innocuous little posts on niche fan boards that defend his actions.

3. Update his website every other month with cryptic messages that mean nothing.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Stan_Holeman on November 06, 2013, 02:30:37 PM
What Art Should Do.

1. Return to Dark Matter on Sirius/XM.

This is enough to ask for.

Ravenna

Quote from: DesertFox on November 06, 2013, 02:10:50 PM

Again you ignore, Art said the show is coming regardless if Sirius says no.  Why would he lie about this?  No need to--would only make it worse.

But the point remains, how can Art do his own streaming show on his own website, if Sirius says no to his current offer to them?  The two year non-compete clause would still be in effect, and Art would not be able to "compete" with them by having his own show live streaming on his own website coz they would then sue him for violating the non-compete clause.  That's how I see it.

dortmunder

Quote from: DesertFox on November 06, 2013, 02:28:36 PM

Yes I stated a couple times it would most likely be 2 years.

Nah, as soon as Mercury goes direct again, all will be fine. This one's a doozy, I have to admit.

The General

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 06, 2013, 09:38:19 AM
Jesus CHRIST!!!   >:( >:(

I'm going to need some FUCKING blood pressure medicine by the end of the fucking evening over this shit, I swear to you.

I went to bed last night with that terrible message from Art on my head and Noory on the podcast with all my pals and it SUCKED. I sent Art a heartfelt message via email and now I'm fuckin embarrassed. Oh well.

I need a fucking mylanta. Or some crystals to tape on my face. Black salt SOMETHING, FUCK!
I'm right there with you bro.

DesertFox

Quote from: Ravenna on November 06, 2013, 02:34:49 PM
But the point remains, how can Art do his own streaming show on his own website, if Sirius says no to his current offer to them?  The two year non-compete clause would still be in effect, and Art would not be able to "compete" with them by having his own show live streaming on his own website coz they would then sue him for violating the non-compete clause.  That's how I see it.

Yes I answered you already--I've always said it could take 2 years(for the 5th time overall).

dortmunder

Maybe he doesn't care if they sue him. Maybe he's already consulting a lawyer to figure a way out of it. Either way, we have no idea so everything else is just conjecture. I've calmed down now. I don't think he wants to quit. He's figuring this shit out. I'm gonna sip my tea, take a dump and see what happens.

Ravenna

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 06, 2013, 02:25:31 PM

As I said before: Art showed more attention to those having the occasional trouble with the internet stream using a free trial than those loyal listeners who signed up and had radios ready to go for his first show back. To leave those people in the lurch when SiriusXM promised a long term solution to the stream issues is wrong, plain and simple. We waited years, he gave us six weeks.

I think it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets oiled.  Those of us who were having no issues, or nearly no issues (I don't consider my four drop-outs of 20 seconds over 6 weeks of listening an issue).  The people who WERE having issues were the ones emailing Art with complaints:  the rest of us were staying quiet.  I know I was, coz I was happy with my listening experience other than the four extremely minor and brief drop-outs which were no big deal at all.  I did send a message to Art a couple times, via wormhole, when I felt the guest's voice was not coming through well:  that was it as to my complaints. 

I also think that people who were having issues with the free trial (those who were), were furious ahead of time to think they would end up, soon, having to pay for an audio stream that was less than 100% reliable.  They may have felt that if they had kept on complaining, their complaints would eventually have some results.  Well, they seem to have had results, don't they?

http://www.groundzeromedia.org/115-surveillance-role-playing/
soooo, in the meantime. clyde lewis got his show deleted from XM after art came back. not sure if there is any correlation. clyde has been underfed for years in radio. yeah, some say lean and mean. whatever you call it... for my money, which is none... anyone who listens to noory instead of clyde is missing out.
just read this ONE article posted above, for his show tonight.
he writes an article every day to go with his show.
even though the article I have posted here is startling and so informative... it's really just what he does five days a week for five hours.
anyone who says clyde lewis doesn't rock the airwaves doesn't get it.
so, XM could have at least put clydes show back on, because last night when my internet went down I would have something to listen to.
clyde and art will meet in heaven and shoot the shit. noory will spend eternity in that bland purgatory he created for millions of listeners, year after year after year;)

Eddie Coyle

Art, you're the greatest broadcaster on Earth.

(Earth!, only Earth! Do I suck on Mars????? >:()

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2013, 02:49:19 PM

Art, you're the greatest broadcaster on Earth.

(Earth!, only Earth!)

Gotta love those Marshall Applewhite eyes.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Philosopher on November 06, 2013, 02:51:47 PM

Gotta love those Marshall Applewhite eyes.

Makes ya want to put the Nikes on doesn't it? We'll do anything for "Do"

lonevoice

There have been some posts asking whether the name of the forum should be changed.   If so, these are submitted for consideration:

shitspamtrollpit.com â€" â,,¢ziznak

sewerpipe.com â€" â,,¢Art Bell

lordoftheflies.com - ©W. Golding

Quote from: Ravenna on November 06, 2013, 02:41:54 PM
I think it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets oiled.  Those of us who were having no issues, or nearly no issues (I don't consider my four drop-outs of 20 seconds over 6 weeks of listening an issue).  The people who WERE having issues were the ones emailing Art with complaints:  the rest of us were staying quiet.  I know I was, coz I was happy with my listening experience other than the four extremely minor and brief drop-outs which were no big deal at all.  I did send a message to Art a couple times, via wormhole, when I felt the guest's voice was not coming through well:  that was it as to my complaints. 

I also think that people who were having issues with the free trial (those who were), were furious ahead of time to think they would end up, soon, having to pay for an audio stream that was less than 100% reliable.  They may have felt that if they had kept on complaining, their complaints would eventually have some results.  Well, they seem to have had results, don't they?

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head, Ravenna. Maybe everyone who was enjoying the show should have emailed Art and said how clear he sounded, how energized he was and it came through with every interview where he seemed legitimately interested in what they had to say. He was polite to phone callers despite the "Am I on?" questions, thanking them at the end of the call - I know that Art cares about his audience and wants them to have the best experience possible but technical problems will occur and he jumped the gun in his reaction. This could have all been worked out while he continued the show but instead he created the ultimatum and quit the show, causing old fans to roll their eyes and left the new audience confused why they weren't getting new content every week. SiriusXM management has to be livid over building him a studio at home, investing all of that money and bending over backwards to honor his requests (which I listed a few of in a previous post) only for him to refuse to compromise. I truly hope SiriusXM takes him up on his no pay/free stream on his website because if they don't, we won't hear him for another two years - a result that could have been avoided if Art didn't mishandle this situation.   

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2013, 02:52:59 PM
       Makes ya want to put the Nikes on doesn't it? We'll do anything for "Do"

Yeah, and all the other "Applewhite's Parts" you can still buy.

http://www.zazzle.com/cuckoo_marshall_applewhite_heavens_gate_cult_mug-168492852129437018

Coz

He might be able to do it if it was done in a non commercial manner. Depends on how the contract is written. Some entertainment contracts prohibit paid performance, others can prohibit *any* performance.

Depends on what he signed and how good his lawyer is.

Last time I had to deal with this garbage was in the 80's. Entertainment law is a particularly fickle beast.

Yorkshire pud

So, if I get this right; He's not the chosen one after all, and appears to be, erm, human? Who knew that? Must be pretty onerous though to have your name spoken in hushed tones? Damn. 

Marc.Knight

Quote from: lonevoice on November 06, 2013, 02:54:06 PM
There have been some posts asking whether the name of the forum should be changed.   If so, these are submitted for consideration:

How about: georgenoorysucks.com

aldousburbank

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 06, 2013, 02:57:45 PM
So, if I get this right; He's not the chosen one after all, and appears to be, erm, human? Who knew that? Must be pretty onerous though to have your name spoken in hushed tones? Damn.
I think I saw that movie.

A voice of reason!  I know that I sure as hell hate being thought of as some sort of god!  ;)

aldousburbank

Quote from: West of the Rockies on November 06, 2013, 02:59:34 PM
A voice of reason!  I know that I sure as hell hate being thought of as some sort of god!  ;)
Sorry!  :-[

lonevoice

Quote from: Philosopher on November 06, 2013, 02:58:16 PM

I agree, that was my favorite name of all the iterations of this forum.   Sadly, I think Dave Noorie is supposed to be our new bestie now (or maybe our king?).

ItsOver

How did we get to this guy?

Quick Karl

None of this can be any good for Sirius' failing business model - Howard Stern ran out of rope on commercial radio and though I am sure he got a huge check from Sirius, he's a has been, along with Jay Thomas and Opie and Anthony...

No matter what happens, I will never pay for radio, period.

With Noron and hysterical-conservative radio, radio is dead. Could be the best thing that ever happened to this country - maybe people will pick up a few books and start educating themselves instead of being douchebags.

Yeah, that crown avatar is pretty astonishing... egotistic much?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Philosopher on November 06, 2013, 02:58:16 PM

Naaa, that will never fly; It'll be full of campaigners trying to get Art Bell resurrecting his old radio show; then you'll have weeks and weeks of semi hysterical devotees wetting themselves in anticipation..Then the day will come with barely contained excitement, a few weeks later...well a few weeks later, someone will suggest calling it coastgab, and georgenoorysucks...

From an objective pov; George Noory has had more publicity (good and bad) from a forum dedicated to his demise than Art Bell has had; although that might now change...Art Bell sucks?

Quick Karl

Quote from: lonevoice on November 06, 2013, 02:54:06 PM

talkradioisdead.com

Catsmile

Quote from: widespread1 on November 06, 2013, 10:10:39 AM
I seriously think that a good portion of participants in this forum are unstable. It is almost a very fascinating experiment to have Art say he quits and watch everyone who has all of their eggs in one basket lose their mind over it.
People in this forum are some of the meanest and thoughtless people I have ever come across and it seems like they dont even realize it. Its like oh yes this is completley rational behavior to cyberbully at least one person per day to the point of anxiety. Ill admit that I got caught up in this before and beat a dead horse on a subject but since then I have noticed that I was indeed rational and that this behavior is a common occurence around here. It seriously could have been a place for Art to come converse with his fans about his descision but a civil conversation gets drowned out by lunatics no matter what them subject is. I am afraid that it might be beyond hope for this forum. I cant imagine that asking everyone to show a little restraint is going to work.

Come on man, let's get naked and roll in mud, make a drum circle and hug some nuggs dude. You can call me Energy Turtle, man.

Really, you think this is a mean place? This place is really tame for a mostly self policing group.

MV allows people a lot of latitude to type whatever is on there minds here for better or worse. People saying things that they wouldn't say to your face is the best and worst part of the internet. Wanna see how well C2C, Bell/Norry forums do when members have bad thoughts and the mods send them to the cornfield? Check out Fantastic Forums and Fantastic Forums II, and feel the utopia of posting your rainbow and unicorn thoughts to the crickets over there.

If you honestly think this forum is that bad I need to ask what your ISP is, Disney for Kids maybe? Could it be that somehow you are trapped behind your own parental firewall made to keep your children safe on the web? This place is cotton candy, and kittens compared to many places on the WWW. May i suggest that you go into your old ladies purse and take your balls back, I'm just yanking your chain little bit now, fucking hippie.  :P

Rule of the internet # 19: The more you hate it, the stronger it gets.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: West of the Rockies on November 06, 2013, 02:59:34 PM
Oh I dunno; you carry it with (you'll love this) ...aplomb!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 06, 2013, 02:59:28 PM
I think I saw that movie.

I'd liked the karate parts and when they mooned the prime minister's house.