• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Spinner

Quote from: Textor on August 15, 2015, 02:10:46 AM
I think it has a listen timeout. I started my PC's stream late the last two nights and I haven't cut out yet.
That's probably it. I guess I'll just have to be near the computer to reload the stream right away.

Textor

Quote from: zeebo on August 15, 2015, 02:16:35 AM
I think RCH mentioned Fiorina would be good but he may have missed Trump ripping on her today.

Oh, she was the one in his crosshairs today? Who hasn't he done yet? Kasich? I'm thinking he'll go after Gov. Kasich tomorrow.

Textor

Quote from: Spinner on August 15, 2015, 02:17:07 AM
That's probably it. I guess I'll just have to be near the computer to reload the stream right away.

And there it goes.

AppealPlay

So do you think the person ringing Hoagie's telethon phone is in fact his stalker?  That's what folks on Twitter are saying.

Quote from: Textor on August 15, 2015, 02:15:31 AM
I want a 12 month election cycle. That means none of this shit would show up for another 3 months.

I've considered that before too.  We're not in the days of the pony express anymore so it should be possible and keep everyone accountable.  On the other hand, politicians are already too short sighted.

Dixon Bawls

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on August 15, 2015, 02:18:49 AM
So do you think the person ringing Hoagie's telethon phone is in fact his stalker?  That's what folks on Twitter are saying.
No way. It's HoagGab.

zeebo

Quote from: Textor on August 15, 2015, 02:17:41 AM
Oh, she was the one in his crosshairs today? Who hasn't he done yet? Kasich? I'm thinking he'll go after Gov. Kasich tomorrow.

Yep he's gonna have to start back at the beginning soon.

ShayP

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on August 15, 2015, 02:18:49 AM

Quote from: Dixon Bawls on August 15, 2015, 02:19:21 AM
No way. It's HoagGab.

If anything WE started it.  People will copy once they get wind of it.  There's at least 4 or 5 of us here calling at the beginning of the show. HoagGab 100%  8)

AppealPlay

Quote from: ShayP on August 15, 2015, 02:21:57 AM
If anything WE started it.  People will copy once they get wind of it.  There's at least 4 or 5 of us here calling at the beginning of the show. HoagGab 100%  8)

I vaguely love you guys. :D

Kevin Sorbo

Quote from: Textor on August 15, 2015, 02:10:02 AM
Lots of people have.

This country desperately needs electoral reform on multiple levels.

I used to think so, too. But electoral reform can only do so much. It isn't the big fix for a population consisting almost entirely of low-information voters. Anything short of compulsory election-issue classes for 100% of voters can't fix the fundamental problem of democracy. This is why we're a republic, which was theoretically designed to protect us from low-information voters. It doesn't matter how much candidates have in the war chest. We're just going to vote on personality and catchphrases regardless of how many candidates are relevant. That's the way I see it, anyway. The money only influences those who let it influence them. If we all voted on verifiable information campaign donors and ads would be irrelevant. Everything blamed on bad politicians is ultimately the fault of the electorate, as a general matter.

Quote from: Kevin Sorbo on August 15, 2015, 02:22:48 AM
I used to think so, too. But electoral reform can only do so much. It isn't the big fix for a population consisting almost entirely of low-information voters. Anything short of compulsory election-issue classes for 100% of voters can't fix the fundamental problem of democracy. This is why we're a republic, which was theoretically designed to protect us from low-information voters. It doesn't matter how much candidates have in the war chest. We're just going to vote on personality and catchphrases regardless of how many candidates are relevant. That's the way I see it, anyway. The money only influences those who let it influence them. If we all voted on verifiable information campaign donors and ads would be irrelevant. Everything blamed on bad politicians is ultimately the fault of the electorate, as a general matter.

I assume that's what the electoral college was designed for (not having an American education I don't really know).  The people vote for an educated group of electors, and then the electors vote for the President.  But, if that were truly observed it would be pretty easy to buy them off.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Kevin Sorbo on August 15, 2015, 02:22:48 AM

I agree with much of this: Here in the UK, we've sadly got into the US model of 'style over substance'. However, since the last General election whereby the Conservative party won outright (although they secured a minority of the votes cast, but more than all the others) the leaders of the other two runner up party's resigned as leader. One of whom was the deputy leader in the previous coalition.

Now; the Labour party is electing a new leader; origins being in the 20's when half the working class died of starvation and ill health, but I digress. Since the tragic death of John Smith (previous leader to Tony Blair) it has become more and more central (as have the other parties), until there's been no real choice.

Enter a quietly spoken but passionate left winger called Jeremy Corbyn...And he's really shaken the boat..Oh yes. The other leader contenders are crapping themselves, as are many other Tony Blair acolytes. Warnings of making Labour unelectable for many years to come etc... But he's the only candidate so far who has answered every single question any journo has leveled at him, and not shirked or deflected it, the way they're coached to. But what scares them is the membership has risen dramatically since he announced him being in the mix. However it's suspected many are actually Conservatives in order to make Corbyn leader, to make them unelectable!

Interesting times...

Saltheart

Hey, at least RCH answers his emails himself. +1 for that.  8)

ShayP

Dixon Bawls

"What can I do with you?"
Tears are streaming down my face!

Caller:  "You're held in high esteem in the scientific community"

???