• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

ThruTarmac

Quote from: Textor on November 24, 2013, 02:13:26 PM
I would say Vegas.

Think about it: Art already has weird people driving by his home. Do we need to bring a concentrated amount of weird people near where he lives?

I was thinking the same thing. Pahrump might be a little too close to home for Art's liking.

Textor

Quote from: ThruTarmac on November 24, 2013, 02:16:00 PM
If bookings of guests were to happen, then money needs to be promised, contracts drawn up, etc. Also, someone working for Art would have to be the one to do all that.

It's a lot of legwork, I imagine, and nearly a full time job...at least for a few weeks...just to get it going. Then, there'd have to be the attendees, willing to fork over a good chunk of change to attend it, as well as pay for their own hotel rooms, airfare, etc.

I vote Producer Paul.

#GivePaulAJob

MikeJ

Didn't Art do a cruise or two back in the 90s?  Did anyone here go on one of those?

urbie88

Quote from: MikeJ on November 24, 2013, 02:22:41 PM
Didn't Art do a cruise or two back in the 90s?  Did anyone here go on one of those?

Hoagland just did a cruise. Christ, imagine being stuck on a boat with that guy?

sherry440

Quote from: sherry440 on November 16, 2013, 10:36:27 PM
Next to a cruise.....this is a great idea. How about Portland? Keep PTown weird and all that?

Yep. That was an idea several chapters back. A cruise. And no, I didn't go, but should have.

Textor

Quote from: urbie88 on November 24, 2013, 02:25:20 PM
Hoagland just did a cruise. Christ, imagine being stuck on a boat with that guy?

I believe it involves the boat moving to specific angles at his demand at all hours of the night, while he performs accutron experiments.

sherry440

Spring 2014 is booked in Vegas, I am sure. You need about a year's lead time for planning. Sept 2014?? Halfway mark of the NC.

lonevoice

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 24, 2013, 01:26:30 PM
This is a bad idea and here 's the place to make it worse-
http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=4946.0
aldousB, things haven't been the same since you left.  I see you noticed last night that many posters are not actually reading the replies here.   :)

Thanks for so helpfully trying to direct folks to a pre-existing (3 pages!) thread that's dedicated to the topic of a GabCon.  Your intentions are so appreciated. 

ThruTarmac

Quote from: lonevoice on November 24, 2013, 02:35:21 PM
aldousB, things haven't been the same since you left.  I see you noticed last night that many posters are not actually reading the replies here.   :)

Thanks for so helpfully trying to direct folks to a pre-existing (3 pages!) thread that's dedicated to the topic of a GabCon.  Your intentions are so appreciated.

lonevoice, Hi!

I spent some time and reviewed the referenced thread. Good info there, but was it Art Bell oriented or Bellgab? To me, it was more for Bellgab.

I'm more for a true Art Bell sponsored event.

That'd be a lot harder to organize because Art and his people would have to be directly involved.

But thanks for redirecting us noobs to those ideas. Everything and all is good to have when we're all just trying to keep the flame alive.

Falkie2013

Quote from: WhiteCrow on November 24, 2013, 10:03:00 AM
LMAO... Thanks

You're welcome. Glad you enjoy my modest efforts.
Someone sent me a message I should sync my audio.
I would if I knew how.
This week I will order my new Blue microphone, that MAY help things but I'm not certain.
I am still learning.

Morgus

Quote from: ThruTarmac on November 24, 2013, 02:40:16 PM
that sounds like the old "Art Bell Chat Clubs" that sprang up in the late 1990s all across the country.
I remember when Art first heard about those he said he didn't want any "fan clubs"  ;)

Falkie2013

Quote from: Textor on November 24, 2013, 02:18:23 PM
I vote Producer Paul.

#GivePaulAJob

I'm gonna be spending $69 for a new microphone this week. I will give $20 towards the give paul a job fund.
I'm not doing that badly and two semi positive things about our car being wrecked is I won't have to buy a new catalytic converter for it and I won't have to give my gf money for gas. I had given her about $200 in recent months for gas. We were getting really lousy gas mileage because the converter was bad.
I will get one from a Toyota dealer next time so we're not as likely to get one with any problems.
Am already starting the search. Waiting for State Farm to give us the money towards the newer car fund. I'm going to try to get a 2007 this time because it has a rear backup camera and controls for the radio and a/c on the steering wheel.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: samdean on November 24, 2013, 12:48:48 PM
Wasn't the golden rule on Art's show "no bad language"?  Isn't that a restriction of speech?  Hasn't he (in C2C days) banned people from the show?  I'd be curious about Art's opinion as well; however, I have always seen Art as a great arbiter of what has value.  He has often cut people off in the middle of interviews or during stories they are telling because he doesn't think his audience will be interested.

I can't see him having a problem with people getting banned from this (or any privately owned website) for being disruptive or even downright rude.

I think the "no bad language" rule was more FCC than Art, at least back in the day, but I get what you are saying.  And, yes, he has both banned and booted folks from his show.  But clearly he ultimately had that authority if for no other reason than he had his finger on the dump button.  Different situation here as he is a poster, no different than anyone else on the site in that respect.   As such Art, like all of us, has a defined process by which he can express concerns about specific posters.  He strikes me as the kind of guy who would prefer to deal with such issues himself, however.

I think we agree there is no need for mean-spirited, personal attacks on this site, regardless who they are directed to/at.  I found the comments about Art's wife extremely distasteful, and I did not approve of the overt threat of a PR offensive against him.  Similarly I don't approve of such attacks on George Noory.  I found this site out of frustration over what I saw as poor show prep, lack of interviewing skills, credibility of his guests, and the overall direction of the show.  I've laid my problems with him out in detail in early critical posts, drawing positive comments from others here.  Wasn't disruptive or rude, and it wasn't personal.  Again, I see no need for that, but clearly others disagree.

lonevoice

I spent some time and reviewed the referenced thread. Good info there, but was it Art Bell oriented or Bellgab? To me, it was more for Bellgab.
Ah.  If you'd like a topic more specific to that need,  you could start a new, dedicated thread here:  http://bellgab.com/index.php?board=10.0

If there are random individual posts scattered here and there through this topic ("Art Bell Quits Dark Matter"), it's less likely to have the impact you might want, and will make anything harder to organize.  Just a thought.

Falkie2013

Quote from: urbie88 on November 24, 2013, 02:25:20 PM

Unlike some, I'd find being on a cruise with Hoagland of interest. It would enable me to once and for all ask Hoagland certain questions about his background if nothing else and I probably will ask him those anyway when I ship him something next month.
I have something I found for him that he'll probably enjoy. It relates to Mars.
We are in the beginning stages of a correspondence.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 24, 2013, 02:55:46 PM
Unlike some, I'd find being on a cruise with Hoagland of interest. It would enable me to once and for all ask Hoagland certain questions about his background if nothing else and I probably will ask him those anyway when I ship him something next month.
I have something I found for him that he'll probably enjoy. It relates to Mars.
We are in the beginning stages of a correspondence.

If you manage to bring him up in correspondence can you ask his opinion on his co-contributor Mike Bara's response to valid and polite questions? The response being 'Eat shit and die'.. It  might be a new scientific terminology that isn't out to the wider community yet. Just asking.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 24, 2013, 02:59:34 PM
If you manage to bring him up in correspondence can you ask his opinion on his co-contributor Mike Bara's response to valid and polite questions? The response being 'Eat shit and die'.. It  might be a new scientific terminology that isn't out to the wider community yet. Just asking.

Well, I've never heard of Bara but I might just ask him about that.
Time will tell.
There's a lot for me to do this Friday.
All on the bus.
:(

[attachment deleted by admin]

littlechris

Quote from: lonevoice on November 24, 2013, 02:54:59 PM
Ah.  If you'd like a topic more specific to that need,  you could start a new, dedicated thread here:  http://bellgab.com/index.php?board=10.0

If there are random individual posts scattered here and there through this topic ("Art Bell Quits Dark Matter"), it's less likely to have the impact you might want, and will make anything harder to organize.  Just a thought.

Thats true lonevoice, any meaningful discussion about developing new projects simply gets lost here between all the mean spirited posts as of late. Im actually interested in possibly helping to contribute new ideas for The Art Bell Network that is launching this week on www.artbell.com. There is a thread for it here:http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=5316.0

Textor

Quote from: littlechris on November 24, 2013, 03:06:55 PM
Thats true lonevoice, any meaningful discussion about developing new projects simply gets lost here between all the mean spirited posts as of late. Im actually interested in possibly helping to contribute new ideas for The Art Bell Network that is launching this week on www.artbell.com. There is a thread for it here:http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=5316.0

I've considered doing a podcast myself, but I'm not sure I have the inspiration for decent material at the moment, and I don't feel like putting out a crappy production just to spew my opinions into the universe.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: ThruTarmac on November 24, 2013, 02:16:00 PM
Littlechris,

Thanks, but I do believe that any convention really needs to be an official Art Bell sponsored event.

I've never organized anything of this size, but with all the world at our googling fingertips, I'm sure anyone could figure it out.

If bookings of guests were to happen, then money needs to be promised, contracts drawn up, etc. Also, someone working for Art would have to be the one to do all that.

It's a lot of legwork, I imagine, and nearly a full time job...at least for a few weeks...just to get it going. Then, there'd have to be the attendees, willing to fork over a good chunk of change to attend it, as well as pay for their own hotel rooms, airfare, etc.

I agree this needs a real leader to make it happen. It would need to be a for profit event with Art making an appearance. Lots of other guest speakers and booths to advertise/sell wares. Normal convention stuff... Except the main focus would be fan appreciation of Art.  A special event to honor Art and his years of broadcasting excellence.

I'd be there in a heartbeat! Talk it up, there's a leader out there that can make it happen.

Oh yeah, Art get some legal advice if decide to make a go of this....
(smiley face with winky eye crap)

littlechris

Quote from: WhiteCrow on November 24, 2013, 03:31:02 PM
I agree this needs a real leader to make it happen. It would need to be a for profit event with Art making an appearance. Lots of other guest speakers and booths to advertise/sell wares. Normal convention stuff... Except the main focus would be fan appreciation of Art.  A special event to honor Art and his years of broadcasting excellence.

I'd be there in a heartbeat! Talk it up, there's a leader out there that can make it happen.

True, but im starting to think that trying to create a convention/meeting for Art Bell fans would be spreading the producers too thin at this point. Im sure they are very busy trying to get The Art Bell Network going.
I say get the network up first,develop it and work out all the kinks, then as a side project, use the interest from the fan base there to coordinate a BellCon in Las Vegas at a later date.

FallenSeraph

(FYI: I started this post this morning but then wandered off to do a bunch of other things, so if 40 pages in this thread have progressed since then and this rant is now outdated, apologies.)

I try hard to keep it classy over here and not feed the trolls and such, but I've been pushed to the breaking point on a number of fronts recently so, what the hell, I might as well get this out.

Regarding this site http://freeartbell.com, I was closing about 90 ancient open windows on my laptop screen when I noticed it was updated today.

Well, golly. What started as a jump-on-the-bandwagon, opportunistic Free Art Bell blog has now become a failed imitation of a Page 6-style gossip site about BellGab. Here's the thing, honey: No one gives a sh*t â€" not here, and particularly not out there in the world. The more you post, the more it's obvious that you're some kind of bitter, shunned Gabber making a sad, desperate attempt at attention-grabbing. My mind is blown by the fact that someone has such a complete lack of a life that they would actually devote time to writing this drivel. ("DRIVEL")

If you're going to make a pathetic stab at some kind of a stupid vendetta blog, at least try to write above a third-grade level. The writing alone makes me cringe.

That is all.

WOTR

That'd be a lot harder to organize because Art and his people would have to be directly involved.
I cannot see why it would have to be an exclusive Art Bell event.  I would think that if he let it be known to the organizers of one of the existing comiccon type events that he would like to make an appearance it would be worked in.  I'm sure it would be a smaller deal at the larger conventions... but Lethbridge (a city of 80 000) is doing a convention this weekend and lured Troy from Startrek.  In an event like that it he would be a big attraction and people could go see him.  He would get some exposure to an audience that is not there exclusively for him and would only have to show up (the event is already booked and the legwork taken care of.)

FallenSeraph

Quote from: wotr1 on November 24, 2013, 03:57:22 PM
I cannot see why it would have to be an exclusive Art Bell event.  I would think that if he let it be known to the organizers of one of the existing comiccon type events that he would like to make an appearance it would be worked in.  I'm sure it would be a smaller deal at the larger conventions... but Lethbridge (a city of 80 000) is doing a convention this weekend and lured Troy from Startrek.  In an event like that it he would be a big attraction and people could go see him.  He would get some exposure to an audience that is not there exclusively for him and would only have to show up (the event is already booked and the legwork taken care of.)

Maybe we could join forces with the Furries.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: littlechris on November 24, 2013, 03:47:20 PM
True, but im starting to think that trying to create a convention/meeting for Art Bell fans would be spreading the producers too thin at this point. Im sure they are very busy trying to get The Art Bell Network going.
I say get the network up first,develop it and work out all the kinks, then as a side project, use the interest from the fan base there to coordinate a BellCon in Las Vegas at a later date.

I hear you so here's another idea to honor Art that would be a lot easier to organize and Vegas would be the perfect location. An Art Bell roast. Lots of talented people on BellGab and guests of Art broadcasts that could make for a very entertaining evening. Special memorable appearances from JC, Mad Man Markin, Mel hole, etc.... So much material in Art's career to have good natured fun with.

McPhallus

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 24, 2013, 02:48:11 PM
I'm gonna be spending $69 for a new microphone this week. I will give $20 towards the give paul a job fund.
I'm not doing that badly and two semi positive things about our car being wrecked is I won't have to buy a new catalytic converter for it and I won't have to give my gf money for gas. I had given her about $200 in recent months for gas. We were getting really lousy gas mileage because the converter was bad.
I will get one from a Toyota dealer next time so we're not as likely to get one with any problems.
Am already starting the search. Waiting for State Farm to give us the money towards the newer car fund. I'm going to try to get a 2007 this time because it has a rear backup camera and controls for the radio and a/c on the steering wheel.

Just went through the catalytic converter thing on my Lexus LS.  My car has three of those damn things.  :o

littlechris

Quote from: Seraphim27 on November 24, 2013, 03:50:21 PM
(FYI: I started this post this morning but then wandered off to do a bunch of other things, so if 40 pages in this thread have progressed since then and this rant is now outdated, apologies.)

I try hard to keep it classy over here and not feed the trolls and such, but I've been pushed to the breaking point on a number of fronts recently so, what the hell, I might as well get this out.

Regarding this site http://freeartbell.com, I was closing about 90 ancient open windows on my laptop screen when I noticed it was updated today.

Well, golly. What started as a jump-on-the-bandwagon, opportunistic Free Art Bell blog has now become a failed imitation of a Page 6-style gossip site about BellGab. Here's the thing, honey: No one gives a sh*t â€" not here, and particularly not out there in the world. The more you post, the more it's obvious that you're some kind of bitter, shunned Gabber making a sad, desperate attempt at attention-grabbing. My mind is blown by the fact that someone has such a complete lack of a life that they would actually devote time to writing this drivel. ("DRIVEL")

If you're going to make a pathetic stab at some kind of a stupid vendetta blog, at least try to write above a third-grade level. The writing alone makes me cringe.

That is all.

Sooooo TRUE!! At the end of the day, "breastlin" and his/her site is just giving publicity to Art Bell, his new network and www.bellgab.com!! Any one reading her site can tell that it is garbage and just gossip. He/She decides to use her creative "powers" for evil instead of good. What a waste.

Attending a gathering with members of this forum? A few years ago, that sounded like a bad idea. Now it sounds even worse. There are too many people here who are mentally off, in a way that is frightfully disconcerting. There are more people on this forum that hate each other's guts than not. Yeah, sure lets all get into a room together.

Another thing, what the hell are you going to do at this convention? Talk about the shows that aren't on?! Buy old books? Go type "Art Bell" into ebay, there ain't shit. You couldn't fill a small table with collectible items to buy, so that's out. I guess you could print some convention shirts, and sell those. Who's going to pay for the guests' lodging and appearance fees?

And who is going to pay these "producers" to set this stuff up, anyways? And who gets  the profits from this thing?

Good luck, I mean it, but I'll be avoiding it like the plague and watching for the news stories the next morning. Hell, Art Bell can't even come on here without getting into it with a random asshole.

samdean

Quote from: nika01 on November 24, 2013, 01:10:48 PM
Have there ever been any court cases or legal proceedings resulting from conflicts between two anonymous people?

yes.  There have been cases of people held liable for harassing "anonymous" people.

Falkie2013

Quote from: McPhallus on November 24, 2013, 04:07:06 PM
Just went through the catalytic converter thing on my Lexus LS.  My car has three of those damn things.  :o

The converter cost $ 1999. 2 gaskets @ $ 100. I hour labor to put it in.
What sucks is that if I were in Nevada and still had the car, it would be $69 for an aftermarket converter.