• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

ItsOver

Quote from: CornyCrow on August 02, 2015, 03:35:51 PM
If Art were in it for the fun of it, all financial information would be open to us, as would number of subscriptions, listenership numbers, etc.  The more these things are closed to us the more rumours will fly and the more any lame excuse can be given to us.
Oh?  You don't think others, such as PremRad, would love these numbers, as well?  It's really none of our damn business.  If a MiTD subscription gets too expensive for some, they won't subscribe.  Art can make as much as the market will bear, for all I care.  What's it to us how much Art makes?  I derive a lot of pleasure from listening to MiTD for a minimal cost.   

CornyCrow

Quote from: ItsOver on August 02, 2015, 04:11:16 PM
Oh?  You don't think others, such as PremRad, would love these numbers, as well?  It's really none of our damn business.  If a MiTD subscription gets too expensive for some, they won't subscribe.  Art can make as much as the market will bear, for all I care.  What's it to us how much Art makes?  I derive a lot of pleasure from listening to MiTD for a minimal cost.
I have no argument with that, as long as we're clear on what the game is.  I think some people are writing under the false premise that Art is not in it for the money and they are making lame excuses for him.  There is a balance between how much you charge before you lose customers.  I would think the price would gently keep increasing until listenership numbers start to decline and then they would stay locked in for a while. 

This may be called a labour of love, but first and foremost it is a money-making proposition and we should not delude ourselves about that. 

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: TigerLily on August 02, 2015, 01:47:40 PM
I downloaded Wool 1 for free on my kindle years ago, got hooked and bought the rest. Very smart marketing on Howey' part.  Excellent read.  Based on your recommendation, I'll try the Martian next.  It sounds familiar.  Is it going to be a movie?

The Martian is quite good if you like technical sci-fi. It's basically sci-fi for nerds which is why I really liked it. Yes, it's being made into a movie as we speak by Ridley Scott. Coincidentally, Scott also bought the rights to Wool.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ItsOver on August 02, 2015, 04:11:16 PM

This. I just wish them success however they do it. The show has been high quality, it's easily worth $7 a month for access to the archive. If someone doesn't want to pay it? Well, listen live.

I do think Hoagland needs to go up to $7 as well with the increase going directly to Keith in compensation for having to deal with Richard. "This thing looks like I'm trying to fly the damn Starship Enterprise by myself".

ItsOver

Quote from: CornyCrow on August 02, 2015, 04:20:54 PM
I have no argument with that, as long as we're clear on what the game is.  I think some people are writing under the false premise that Art is not in it for the money and they are making lame excuses for him.  There is a balance between how much you charge before you lose customers.  I would think the price would gently keep increasing until listenership numbers start to decline and then they would stay locked in for a while. 

This may be called a labour of love, but first and foremost it is a money-making proposition and we should not delude ourselves about that.
OK.  My point is I don't really care what the supposed game is, whether, gads, Art is just in it for the bucks or is just doing what he truly loves, profit be damned.  It's no skin off my teeth.  I'm just a consumer looking for a quality product.

Art, in my opinion, is one of the best broadcasters of our time.  If some hack like Noory can reportedly make a half-million year, I sure don't fault Art for making as much as his talent can reap, whether he's driven by the almighty dollar or not.

Art Bell

Well hi everybody. As you might guess I have been a very busy guy. I hear the buzz about the new price coming August 20th but I have been telling people about it and there is still plenty of time to join and be frozen at the five buck price. It is the Time Travel people who allow the live show to be free so we think it is still a good deal. This was only done after we were able to figure expense for operating.

When you do this for yourself, you pay for it yourself. Many people have the Idea that the Internet is free, they are wrong!

BTW, first person to figure out our new Producer gets a gold star.

Art

ItsOver

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 02, 2015, 04:46:05 PM
This. I just wish them success however they do it. The show has been high quality, it's easily worth $7 a month for access to the archive. If someone doesn't want to pay it? Well, listen live.

I do think Hoagland needs to go up to $7 as well with the increase going directly to Keith in compensation for having to deal with Richard. "This thing looks like I'm trying to fly the damn Starship Enterprise by myself".
Yes, the great thing is I don't have to lose that much sleep and can listen to Art FOR FREE!  Well, other than the freaky commercials but, even then, the bumper music makes up for that.  I don't even want to say what I'd personally be willing to pay for a MiTD subscription.  I'd probably shock myself with how high I'd be willing to go. ;)

Hell, I'm even thinking about doing a Hoagie subscription, just for the laughs, after following his BG thread.  He's sounded more amusing than I expected.  Hoagie is just too late for me stay up to listen live.  I'd have to become a complete night owl or maybe a vampire.

ItsOver

Quote from: Art Bell on August 02, 2015, 04:55:14 PM
Well hi everybody. As you might guess I have been a very busy guy. I hear the buzz about the new price coming August 20th but I have been telling people about it and there is still plenty of time to join and be frozen at the five buck price. It is the Time Travel people who allow the live show to be free so we think it is still a good deal. This was only done after we were able to figure expense for operating.

When you do this for yourself, you pay for it yourself. Many people have the Idea that the Internet is free, they are wrong!

Art
Yes, sir, I hear you, Art.  Just a smashing job with MiTD.  Phenomenal.

The show with Dr. Dvorak was a classic.  I'm still chuckling about the background music, courtesy of the Hawaiian frogs.

onan

Art

If it is who I think it is. Good choice. Best of luck to that person. I wish them nothing but fun and happiness... oh and 10 million dollars.

aldousburbank

Quote from: onan on August 02, 2015, 05:06:02 PM
If it is who I think it is. Good choice. Best of luck to that person. I wish them nothing but fun and happiness... oh and 10 million dollars.
It is.

aldousburbank

Art
Good choice Art!

onan

There are no secrets on the internet, really. But I would hope that whomever the new producer is going to be, we respect their privacy.

ItsOver

Quote from: onan on August 02, 2015, 05:06:02 PM
Ha!  At least more than half a million.  ;)  Sure wish we had a hint.  Is it indeed a vaguely lovable Gabbling?

ItsOver

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 02, 2015, 05:07:37 PM
It is.
Hmmm, Redacted, then?  It can't be the MOST vaguely lovable of all, MV???

serenity

Quote from: ItsOver on August 02, 2015, 05:12:52 PM
Hmmm, Redacted, then?  It can't be the MOST vaguely lovable of all, MV???

New producer? What did I miss? Did Art can Dr J?

Skunk Ape

Art

7.99 is still great. Cumia charges as much without the live show being free (not the best idea) and his show is only 2 hours. Not to mention DMDN has way more shows than the TACS network.

Also even if it's a labor of love for you, still have to pay all the help involved.

Does the new producer's name rhyme with Mommy Schmanheiser?

onan

Quote from: serenity on August 02, 2015, 05:15:05 PM
New producer? What did I miss? Did Art can Dr J?

I don't believe so.

wr250

i know who it is. but i promised not to tell.

Jackstar

This was only done after we were able to figure expense for operating.

dan7800

sydtron

Im happy to pay whatever is reasonable to help Art stay on the air.  I dont feel its any of our buisness what he is pulling in.  As long as he stays happy.  God forbid somebody make a buck.  AND I am really interrested in thoseterrestrial numbers.  Gonna be lots to talk about! Sho' nuff!!

Jackstar

I guess LMH. But then again, I use her as my default guess for every answer these days that isn't, "obviously, Bernie Sanders."

dan7800

The answer is obvious.

Either Joorch or JC.

Joorch would mean the numbers lady and shows about carrots being poisonous 5x week.

wr250

Quote from: dan7800 on August 02, 2015, 05:22:56 PM
The answer is obvious.

Either Joorch or JC.

Joorch would mean the numbers lady and shows about carrots being poisonous 5x week.

i take tooomeric and carnivora to combat the poisonous veggies.

ItsOver

Maybe Art's recognized RCH's real talent or Fort Rock is more than just a Scorpion Army Commander.

indigoo

I'd guess Redacted but maybe not?

ItsOver

Quote from: Jackstar on August 02, 2015, 05:18:15 PM

Perceptive.  Yeah, that does concern me.  To hell with making too much money.  Art, at this point, is not making enough to cover expenses?  Maybe time for a different business model.   

Quote from: Art Bell on August 02, 2015, 04:55:14 PMBTW, first person to figure out our new Producer gets a gold star.

Art

Dean Dino?