• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

littlechris

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 02, 2015, 09:26:26 PM
I'd really like to get an autographed something or another. I'd pay extra for it, wish it was some sort of option. Would help finance the show too.

Wonder if Curtis or micheal could help out with the tech aspect.

I'd like to be able to go on an Art Bell Cruise(TM).  From my understanding, back in the days he'd go on cruises and the general public was allowed to join him. I'd be willing to pay extra to go on a cruise with Art. How fun would that be!

-

Jackstar

Quote from: Jorch Einstein on August 02, 2015, 09:31:40 PM
Hey, congratulations! You've just made the single most asinine comment ever on Bellgab!!!!!!

There's an entire thread on this site dedicated to pointing out that Wells looks like an alien--a charge leveled against Bowie on numerous occasions.

But perhaps you were referring to something else. I know you've been around since last September, and your wisdom is Eternal.

I remember when the Coast Insider mobile app came out in 2010 (2009?) It was released with no ability to do anything else on your phone once the App was open. If you were listening to the live or archived show (4 hours) you could not hide the app to do anything else or it would stop. Insiders were outraged. Complaints were voiced. It didn't get changed for months. Dave even mentioned it on the show because it was such a huge issue at the time. With all the Premrat money and staff, that was the product made available to their paying customers. Live chats once a month with Dave or Tommy too.

In no way is this a comparable show. For $5 Time Travelers get up to 60 hours of Art, intelligent conversation, archives, a mobile app in the works after only 2 weeks on the air, a wormhole, free BellGab shoutouts, and free Art Bell updates from the man himself here and on Facebook. MITD will get even better as time passes. Look what's been done already with a crew of only 3 or 4.

Keep up the good work Art. I'm enjoying the show and glad you are too.

dan7800

Quote from: transistor under my pillow on August 02, 2015, 09:43:17 PM
For $5 Time Travelers get up to 60 hours of Art, intelligent conversation, archives, a mobile app in the works after only 2 weeks on the air, a wormhole, free BellGab shoutouts, and free Art Bell updates from the man himself here and on Facebook. MITD will get even better as time passes. Look what's been done already with a crew of only 3 or 4.

Keep up the good work Art. I'm enjoying the show and glad you are too.

+1 to this. There is work to be done, but things are going great!

DanTSX

Quote from: Freyja on August 02, 2015, 07:18:42 PM
The point is that one doesn't start raising prices on an "upstart venture" until you have all the kinks worked out and are able to deliver a stellar product.

The program is stellar.....the vehicle for PAID subscribers is NOT.

I not writing this to either bitch or complain.....I am happily paying my $5.00.

Like all of you here, I want nothing more than great success for Art, Keith & MITD for many years to come.

Raising the price now, 1 month after the launch date with a non user friendly, easily adaptable platform on any/all devices  for PAID listeners is just bad business IMO.

Get the back end slick, reliable, easy, along with a stellar show and then raise the price if you must.

Then don't pay and go away.

It's $5 holy shit.  this is two dudes doing the show, not a Silicon Valley startup with $30m in angel investor funds rolling in every quarter.   Support art or don't.  It's not about the money for any of us.  It's about making this work.

Can I pay you $5 to go whine to someone else?

Seriously....what do you know about business?

Jackstar

Quote from: DanTSX on August 02, 2015, 10:04:35 PM
Seriously....what do you know about business?

I was curious about getting at that, and then someone mentioned that Coast Insider at $6.95 a month is comparable to Art Bell at $5 a month, and then Wayne Brady rang my doorbell, so I had to go point him in the proper direction.

Art has said for the longest time the price was going to get increased. It really gets tiring seeing the same poster bitch and moan about every minor thing. If you are an Art bell fan subscribe and help the show continue. Keith even said on gabcast before the show even started the $5 price point was going to have to be raised. It's actually really cool they are letting us lock that price in, although I'd gladly pay more.

chefist

Always gonna be those types...they'd complain a million dollars is just too heavy...

Hey Art, I know you like this song. You might enjoy this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2cfhE1VZMU

heater

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 02, 2015, 08:21:44 PM
I'm guessing it has to be either Curtis or Fort Rock

Damn! it must be Fort Rock.  Bested again.

heater

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 02, 2015, 09:26:26 PM
Wonder if Curtis or micheal could help out with the tech aspect.

You mean the dynamic duo of Vandeven Enterprises (He's the CEO and Founder. I am the janitor, lead developer, web master, FireFub tech support, product manager, coffee getter, and assistant to the CEO). 

I would totally be willing to help Keith if there is anything I can contribute as I am sure Michael would too.

Quote from: themudking on August 02, 2015, 10:57:20 PM
You mean the dynamic duo of Vandeven Enterprises (He's the CEO and Founder. I am the janitor, lead developer, web master, FireFub tech support, product manager, coffee getter, and assistant to the CEO). 

I would totally be willing to help Keith if there is anything I can contribute as I am sure Michael would too.

You should email them. I think you could help.

Quote from: Art Bell on August 02, 2015, 04:55:14 PM
Well hi everybody. As you might guess I have been a very busy guy. I hear the buzz about the new price coming August 20th but I have been telling people about it and there is still plenty of time to join and be frozen at the five buck price. It is the Time Travel people who allow the live show to be free so we think it is still a good deal. This was only done after we were able to figure expense for operating.

When you do this for yourself, you pay for it yourself. Many people have the Idea that the Internet is free, they are wrong!

BTW, first person to figure out our new Producer gets a gold star.

Art

I've been saying from the beginning that $5 was far too low. Should have gone with $9.95/month or $99/Year.

littlechris

Quote from: FightTheFuture on August 02, 2015, 11:20:47 PM
I've been saying from the beginning that $5 was far too low. Should have gone with $9.95/month or $99/Year.

What does Netflix charge per month/year?

Morgus

Uncle Duke

I missed something, why is a new producer required?  Did the previous producer get the boot or did he quit?  The MITD guests thus far have been abysmal, so a change would be a positive.  Upgrade guests and fix the streaming problems so many of us have have experienced with TuneIn/DMDN and things will be looking up.

Jackstar

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 03, 2015, 12:27:07 AM
problems so many of us have us have experienced with TuneIn

There's not a lot Art can do about your ability to choose to use obsolete technology.

Morgus

I missed something, why is a new producer required?  Did the previous producer get the boot or did he quit?
Art posted that Dr. J himself chose to step down as producer due to being overloaded, he has own show twice a week on the DM network, etc.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: themudking on August 02, 2015, 10:57:20 PM

Still waiting for Art to offer direct monthly charges for subscription to credit/debit cards.
Keith apparently doesn't understand the need to offer any other source of payment besides PayPal.

IMHO being busy with a host of other start-up issues or point of sale software incapability is not an acceptable excuse, to not offer the industry most popular form of making payments on line.

Jackstar

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 03, 2015, 12:33:37 AM
Keith apparently doesn't understand the need to offer any other source of payment besides PayPal.

Neither does anyone else. We've been over this. Keith and I are under one sky.

saucerlike

I don't get the issue with PayPal.  It's never taken me longer or been more complicated than any other online CC transaction.  If anything it's faster for me.

SciFiAuthor

I missed something, why is a new producer required?  Did the previous producer get the boot or did he quit?  The MITD guests thus far have been abysmal, so a change would be a positive.  Upgrade guests and fix the streaming problems so many of us have have experienced with TuneIn/DMDN and things will be looking up.

God damn Duke, you expect a lot. Art said that Dr. J. had too much on his plate and stepped aside, still working as associate producer. There have been two classic interviews in the last two weeks, Hancock and Dvorak. If you think it's been abysmal, then you forgot how the night-to-night shows of the 90's were and now expect too much. Complain to your internet company about the tech issues, I have great internet and for me there has been only two DMDN problems: the rain fade from the test show, and the drop out during the first show. Other than that I've had only a single TuneIn time shift which Art and Keith can't do shit about other than complain to TuneIn just like the rest of us. We dealt with shit like that in the old days, remember when stations would pre-empt Art for hockey games? I do.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Jackstar on August 03, 2015, 12:30:33 AM

There's not a lot Art can do about your ability to choose to use obsolete technology.

Potentially guilty as charged....along with all the others who've posted similar comments about MITD streaming issues apparently.  Ironically I never had problem one with DM on SXM.

So your lack of comment points to your agreement  the guests on MITD have been less than stellar.  You're like an onion Jack, peel back the layers and we can find the odd nugget of wisdom and rationality. 

There's a lot of very talented, up & coming, young producers out there that would leap at the opportunity to work with Art. He should look into it.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: saucerlike on August 03, 2015, 12:44:03 AM
I don't get the issue with PayPal.  It's never taken me longer or been more complicated than any other online CC transaction.  If anything it's faster for me.

It's because if you've ever run afoul of paypal for any reason and had an account suspended then you can't ever use that credit card number associated with that account to pay for anything ever again using a paypal gateway. I don't get the lack of a second gateway thing, it's an easily solved problem.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Jackstar on August 03, 2015, 12:40:15 AM

Neither does anyone else. We've been over this. Keith and I are under one sky.

Jackstar, Did you hit your chin with that quick knee jerk reaction to my post?

Excuse me, I didn't know that you, Keith or anyone else are 'industry experts' for on line purchases. I'm not either, but do know enough to understand the importance. I have tried to point Keith without success, to industry experts.... I have no dog in this race, only trying to help Art be successful.

Money is being left on the table, needlessly.

WhiteCrow

IMHO ... It's just plain ol common sense to offer the most widely used form of on line payments, credit cards.
Each form of payment has advantages and disadvantages, this info is widely available on the net.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 03, 2015, 12:44:17 AM
God damn Duke, you expect a lot. Art said that Dr. J. had too much on his plate and stepped aside, still working as associate producer. There have been two classic interviews in the last two weeks, Hancock and Dvorak. If you think it's been abysmal, then you forgot how the night-to-night shows of the 90's were and now expect too much. Complain to your internet company about the tech issues, I have great internet and for me there has been only two DMDN problems: the rain fade from the test show, and the drop out during the first show. Other than that I've had only a single TuneIn time shift which Art and Keith can't do shit about other than complain to TuneIn just like the rest of us. We dealt with shit like that in the old days, remember when stations would pre-empt Art for hockey games? I do.

Thanks for the clarification on the status of the previous producer, I asked because I did not know what happened to him.  We can agree to disagree on use of the adjective "classic" to define guests/interviews, but we do agree the two guests you mentioned were better than most to date.  As for whether hockey interrupted Art in days of yore is probably a function of where one lived.  I do remember Art preempted once locally for flood reports, but I get the analogy.

WhiteCrow

One of PayPal orginal marketing plans was to offer a safe way to make on line payments from debit (checking) accounts. Debit accounts are inherently less safe than credit cards, in regards to personal liability. Banking regulations favors consumer protection for credit cards transactions.

Even today, with PayPal offering a payment from credit card feature, they still push to link your debit account as the preferred form of payment. Why? Higher credit card fees, (ie merchant discounts) lower charge back regs for debit accounts and lower merchant credit standards for excepting debit accounts... it's not to do the consumers any favors as their nicely word sales pitch would imply ;)

SaucyRossy

I was playing around with apple maps......kind of weird that there is no ice up north.