• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

albrecht

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on May 30, 2015, 06:17:44 PM
Ugh, don't like it when apps require you to get a social media account to sign in to their service.  Nobody's dragging me into the 21st century, not even kicking and screaming. 8)
I'm not saying its true BUT....I find it hilarious of some hosts, people, groups, etc who complained about CONINTEL PRO, ECHELON, and, of course, all the rest of the modern day stuff the NSA/DIA/CIA/local police are doing then say, after their rant, "listen on your smartphone and download my app from the Googleplay and Iphone store. And follow me on Twitter, Facebook, etc" Google and Apple etv have done more to enact 1984 scenarios than the worse of the Bush/Clintons. (Of course we all know that some of the seed-money and contracts for said companies came from "those agencies" but still it is funny. Why worry about the guvmint and surveillance when most people it seems are clamoring to find a way to share everything and the more personal the better!

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 30, 2015, 05:54:11 PM
You used ashes and animal fat. Don't you wish everyone did?

Aye, and ladies like it, too.

Quote from: albrecht on May 30, 2015, 08:41:02 PM
I'm not saying its true BUT....I find it hilarious of some hosts, people, groups, etc who complained about CONINTEL PRO, ECHELON, and, of course, all the rest of the modern day stuff the NSA/DIA/CIA/local police are doing then say, after their rant, "listen on your smartphone and download my app from the Googleplay and Iphone store. And follow me on Twitter, Facebook, etc" Google and Apple etv have done more to enact 1984 scenarios than the worse of the Bush/Clintons. (Of course we all know that some of the seed-money and contracts for said companies came from "those agencies" but still it is funny. Why worry about the guvmint and surveillance when most people it seems are clamoring to find a way to share everything and the more personal the better!

Rethinking the wifi coffin option I purchased in my pre-paid funeral plans.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on May 30, 2015, 09:41:49 PM
Aye, and ladies like it, too.

Hey, RGG!

I used to suffer a near synesthesiatic response when the knife sliced through a bar of Irish Spring ... my somehow tasting all those dead green-clothed leprechauns.

Quote from: albrecht on May 30, 2015, 08:41:02 PM

Dr. Katherine Albrecht (no pun intended) has made many of those same points about smartphones & social media, it's a very good observation.  They're making privacy loss look attractive and the new "in" thing to do.  If Foucault were still alive he would've been the perfect person to write a book about it.

Regarding Art, it looks like anyone can use Periscope to see him live, it's the archived broadcasts you seem to need an account for.

twiki

I like the idea of using periscope to engage with the audience.

Being in the UK it is very rare that I get to take a ride through the High Desert.

I think it could work well in the studio too during the LIVE broadcasts.

I'll second the request to get a tour of the new studio this way. Art could run us all through what all the equipment does.

Aussie Dave

Quote from: twiki on May 30, 2015, 10:11:14 PM
I like the idea of using periscope to engage with the audience.

Being in the UK it is very rare that I get to take a ride through the High Desert.

I think it could work well in the studio too during the LIVE broadcasts.

I'll second the request to get a tour of the new studio this way. Art could run us all through what all the equipment does.

Periscope seems like it could be a winner in the Studio.

Thank you Mr Bell for letting us peek in the window. As the guy above said it's great for us foreigners to get a glimpse into a landscape you see everyday. That was really cool.

I would love it if you could show us the studio using Periscope. If I could make one request. If you go ahead and do a tour of your studio could you make it at a set time so we can all make sure we don't miss it. It seems like it would be epic. It might sound mundane but to the fans and also to those of us who are fascinated with broadcasting it would be a hoot to see your setup and have everything explained.

Thanks again for participating in this forum and being so honest and open. You are a champ.

Morrigu

oh man it's been eons since I posted here.  I don't even have a post count of 10 yet, but have been a member for 4 years... and so much's changed in that time.

One thing is certain - I am really delighted that he's going to be on air again, and I'll be there listening, and re-introducing my kids to his work :)

they think Noory is snoory, and came up on their own with it - I haven't had the heart to tell them that they aren't the first ones to come up with that phrase.

ks3484

Quote from: alger on May 30, 2015, 09:46:32 AM
I don't understand why people want Art back?  He had a good run for a time but the genre is as boring as George Noory  He must be 75 years old and he's certainly been exposed as a bad parent to say the least. He has always employed the same interviewing stye as Jorche. Talk over the guest.  I bet old "Long John Neville" shows would be more interesting than the stuff Art or C2C do now.

alger, you are probably partially right, and partially wrong, in what you say. Our Constitution guarantees that by default anyone and everyone has been endowed with certain inalienable rights that entitles them to voice their thoughts, theories, ideas, and opinions. You say that you "don't understand why!" I can't, and do not purport, to speak for all or any of Art Bell's friends, fans, followers, volunteers, and listeners. I would venture a guess that most of Art Bell's friends, fans, followers, volunteers, and listeners considers Art Bell as more than just a friend, and he is not just some radio personality on the airwaves spouting just his / hers , or their thoughts, theories, ideas, and opinions ad hominem.  Once again you are partially right, and partially wrong. On June 17, 2015 Art Bell does embark on a ride through his 70's, and I would venture another guess that some, if not all of Art Bell's friends, fans, followers, volunteers, and listeners consider 70 as just a number. Its' not an obstacle that can't be overcome in this time and space.

Morrigu

Quote from: ks3484 on May 30, 2015, 11:13:01 PM
Once again you are partially right, and partially wrong. On June 17, 2015 Art Bell does embark on a ride through his 70's, and I would venture another guess that some, if not all of Art Bell's friends, fans, followers, volunteers, and listeners consider 70 as just a number. Its' not an obstacle that can't be overcome in this time and space.

Personally (and I'm still mid 40's) I think that while 70 is just a number, the freedom in expressing one's opinion and sharing of their intelligence in ones' 70's is probably one of the most attractive things in the universe - honesty, sense of self direction, intelligence and lack of tolerating BS all rolled into one?  Gimme More!!!!!!!!

WOTR

Quote from: Morrigu on May 30, 2015, 10:30:22 PM
oh man it's been eons since I posted here.  I don't even have a post count of 10 yet, but have been a member for 4 years... and so much's changed in that time.
People must have been slacking and not said "Welcome, post often..."  So, now with the invitation, and Art returning, we expect to see a little more of you.

zeebo

Quote from: Cwn Annwn on May 30, 2015, 06:21:38 PM
...(Also, I don't even own a device that can use "apps"...)

Trying to figure out how to load one of these "apps" into my old C. Crane radio.  I can't find a USB port even.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wotr1 on May 30, 2015, 05:57:22 PM
Somewhere around page 10 MV tells a story of his first contact with Art... and very quickly it falls into place why Art likes this place.  Great sense of humour and needling somebody just a little for fun...

***Edit- I just went looking for it and cannot find it... Maybe a different thread?

by first contact, do you mean when i called his show in the 90s?

Zenman

Quote from: zeebo on May 31, 2015, 12:10:40 AM
Trying to figure out how to load one of these "apps" into my old C. Crane radio.  I can't find a USB port even.

It's probably next to the floppy drive. If not, you may have to get an adapter at Radio Shack.

Engineer55

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on May 30, 2015, 06:17:44 PM
Ugh, don't like it when apps require you to get a social media account to sign in to their service.

.....and don't get me started on apps that REQUIRE you to UPGRADE your operating system or processor!!!  "This app requires iOS 7.1 or above to operate."  That's just Apple *making* their developers build in hooks to make *us* have to move to another OS! Even if doing so *breaks* a bunch of other apps!

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on May 31, 2015, 12:30:44 AM

This call needs to be tracked down.

Whoever finds it will be rewarded handsomely.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on May 31, 2015, 01:26:16 AM
This call needs to be tracked down.

Whoever finds it will be rewarded handsomely.

my two 1990s calls were both a great exercise in douchedom.

WOTR

Quote from: MV on May 31, 2015, 12:30:44 AM
No... it is a little fuzzy- but you had threatened that if anybody asked you a certain question again that you would toss your computer monitor against a wall and crap into the broken screen... I believe that Art then emailed you asking the question (wow, do I ever hope that I am even somewhat close...)  Could it be that I recall a different posters information and story?

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on May 31, 2015, 01:57:24 AM
my two 1990s calls were both a great exercise in douchedom.

Hence the handsome reward.

WOTR

Found it! Page 6 if anybody cares...  Also, it may not have been "first contact" but it was a good story...
Quote from: MV on September 06, 2010, 08:44:49 AM
i've not sent art an email that i can recall, but i did receive one from him.

i used to stream through this program called... coincidentally enough... streamer.  it was a small .exe that people could install on their computers and listen to the stream.

i used to get an occasional email from someone asking if the .exe contained viruses or spyware, if you can believe that.  or i'd occasionally get a message from someone saying it DOES contain viruses or spyware, which i found to be even more ridiculous.  soooo... i put a message next to the .exe download on my old website saying essentially, "This installer contains no viruses or spyware.  Please don't ask me if it does.  If you do, I will be forced to place my monitor on the floor so that I can physically shit on your email."  Art then sent me an email simply asking, "Does the Streamer application contain viruses or spyware?"  He obviously has a good sense of humor.

Heather Wade

Streamer, that brings back memories.   

WOTR

Quote from: (Redacted) on May 31, 2015, 02:34:34 AM
Streamer, that brings back memories.
It does.  Also, probably before the flat screen monitor... Placing a monitor on the floor to crap on it shows some real dedication.  Those CRT monitors were a little heavy and awkward.  Also, the cords were short and usually tangled...

Heather Wade

Quote from: wotr1 on May 31, 2015, 02:43:53 AM
It does.  Also, probably before the flat screen monitor... Placing a monitor on the floor to crap on it shows some real dedication.  Those CRT monitors were a little heavy and the cords were short and usually tangled...

Then pick up another monitor and heave it up on the desk.  That's some active hatred.

jazmunda

i used to stream through this program called... coincidentally enough... streamer.  it was a small .exe that people could install on their computers and listen to the stream.

i used to get an occasional email from someone asking if the .exe contained viruses or spyware, if you can believe that.  or i'd occasionally get a message from someone saying it DOES contain viruses or spyware, which i found to be even more ridiculous.  soooo... i put a message next to the .exe download on my old website saying essentially, "This installer contains no viruses or spyware.  Please don't ask me if it does.  If you do, I will be forced to place my monitor on the floor so that I can physically shit on your email."  Art then sent me an email simply asking, "Does the Streamer application contain viruses or spyware?"  He obviously has a good sense of humor.

In case it wasn't already known this is reason #637 why Art Bell is better than George Noory.

jazmunda

My small dose of OCD compels me to ask what you replied to Art?

ks3484

I'm just curios ....... is anyone here via AOL?

PaulAtreides

Quote from: ks3484 on May 31, 2015, 04:53:09 AM
I'm just curios ....... is anyone here via AOL?

No, but I just found out that my AOL email account is still active. 

coaster

just because everyone forgot about it. I am not at all drunk as hell all night and this early into the morning... and jamming to tunes on youtube and this was the next song that popped up. The second I heard it, Art Frickin Bell.  I can not wait until july.. my god I cannot wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmPFrkuPq0

coaster

I may actually fold my company and go back to third shift. Work goes a lot faster when the radio is on..

nika01

Quote from: coaster on May 31, 2015, 05:39:11 AM
just because everyone forgot about it. I am not at all drunk as hell all night and this early into the morning... and jamming to tunes on youtube and this was the next song that popped up. The second I heard it, Art Frickin Bell.  I can not wait until july.. my god I cannot wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmPFrkuPq0

One of the many bands not in the Rock and Roll hall of Fame. What a joke that organization is. No Jethro Tull.... the list goes on and on.

PathoJen

Does anyone know how to get a notification when Art is on Periscope?