• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

pate

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 08, 2020, 11:57:14 AM
... Now that I have experience with a family member with dementia I recognize some of the same behaviors he presented...
Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 08, 2020, 06:17:24 PM
... If you're lucky that person still keeps the same persona that you're used to, often times they don't...
Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 08, 2020, 04:31:33 PM
...Also, people, stop eating cholesterol, I don't want this to happen to your loved ones.

Heya Roz, my grandfather and my uncle both went down the dementia road.  I feel for you.  If they stay semi-lucid they will keep the same personality, just they will sometimes not know who the hell you are.  We always approached this with a bit of humor, which helps a bit as there is not much you can really do and laughing/chuckling about some of the "scenarios" and "incidents" is better than the alternative.  Not that it is a fun thing to go through by any stretch, but we found humorous moments from time to time...

I am sure cholesterol plaque doesn't help, but my in-expert opinion was that it was Aluminum.  I read a study that linked Aluminum to Alzheimers, and my family all used the Magnalite brand of cookware (big heavy thick aluminum stuff) which is reactive to acids like tomato sauce.  Also, there was Aluminum processing going on down in the area very close to where both grandpa and my uncle lived.  I have been gradually retiring my own Magnalite cookware as I find stainless stuff to replace it, and I never cook anything acidic in the ones I still use, mainly for boiling water or making rice if anything.  But what do I know?

Anyhow, my mother, who spent time with her dad (my grandpa) and her brother (my uncle) during "the end" is now worried about my dad losing it.  I think both ma and pa are losing it, but not too badly yet...  I have promised that when the time comes, I will move back in and chain them up in the basement with a weekly garden-hose bath and generous crusts of bread once a day as I will not see them housed in a "people warehouse" facility to suffer such abuse from strangers.

Yes, I am terrible!

Seriously, though my sister and I are already making subtle plans for such eventualities and are monitoring the situation.  But it sounds like you either recently went through or are presently going through a similar deal:  keep a good sense of humor, it helps I swear!

Yours,

-p 

K_Dubb

I can absolutely second what pate said, and would point out that there are certain benefits:  I have always been a bitter disappointment to him, both in my failure to understand the merits of carburetors and the forced enthusiasm with which I greeted the Craftsman socket sets he lovingly picked out at Christmas, and this has largely been forgotten.  Neither do I have to explain why the polite, slender, soft-spoken men I bring around on occasion have different names and faces each time.

chefist

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 09:14:49 PM
I can certainly second what pate said, and would point out that there are certain benefits:  I have always been a bitter disappointment to him, both in my failure to understand the merits of carburetors and the forced enthusiasm with which I greeted the Craftsman socket sets he lovingly picked out at Christmas, and this has largely been forgotten.  Neither do I have to explain why the polite, slender, soft-spoken men I bring around on occasion have different names and faces each time.

Are you suggesting there is a market for hand tools geared towards the limp wristed?

K_Dubb

Quote from: chefist on September 08, 2020, 09:35:06 PM
Are you suggesting there is a market for hand tools geared towards the limp wristed?

Yes, maybe ornaments in repoussé, mother-of-pearl handles, monograms, inlaid cases lined in velveteen, that sort of thing.  The way fine pistols used to be marketed to gentlemen.

Ciardelo

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 05:30:49 PM-- the light-bulb incident

What light-bulb incident? Would you refresh my memory please?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Ciardelo on September 08, 2020, 09:44:26 PM
What light-bulb incident? Would you refresh my memory please?

Art “ate a lightbulb” on MITD one night. It was riveting radio.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 08, 2020, 09:45:34 PM
Art “ate a lightbulb” on MITD one night. It was riveting radio.

Oh yeah...I had forgotten that. How many watts was it?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Ciardelo on September 08, 2020, 09:48:07 PM

Nautical shore.

albrecht

In my limited experience:

1) Alzheimers (and various dementias) end up being worse for the spouse and family. Especially spouse. Men handle this FAR worse if the wife is the one who gets. Which is usual. Women are tougher in many aspects. One can take some, hard to do, solace in the later stages the victim aren't there, often. But important to take care of others because hard for them. Especially spouse but also caregivers, especially if family.

2) in earlier stages older memories etc are seem more easily accessible. One wonders a lot about this. Certain other maladies, like kinds of autism, also wish 'familiarity' or such. One notes an interesting program in The Netherlands where they created a whole 'village' where everything is like the 1950's. I've heard places in Japan where they have fake "businesses" for older men because they are so used to work. So fake work, secretaries, offices, etc. And used to keeping a schedule and retirement stresses marriages and health (this was not, necessarily for dementia)
https://hogeweyk.dementiavillage.com/en/   
https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-hogewey-dementia-village-2017-7?op=1 

ps: I note here this might seem like a Potemkin Village or "The Prisoner" type of conspiracy deal by some. But when I first saw I thought what an interesting idea- instead of throwing people into a chair, get on meds, and set them in front of a tv with minimally paid staff.

3)  Another interesting thing is either truth comes out or filters off happen. Sometimes funny. Sometimes bad. I recall once a funny item in which a relative said "take those screaming children out of here, I've had enough of that my whole life" and "you have always been crazy!" -this to folks bringing grandkids to see. And to a daughter who was a caregiver. From someone who never was mean to anyone and doted on kids. And neat things like grab-hand and soft voice:" when are you going to marry her" (when married a long time but still thought girlfirend not wife.)

4) the aluminum thing I've heard before. Also that certain anti-cholesterol drugs and 'fake butter' etc actually is bad because the brain needs 'good' cholesterol. So eat your sardines and eggs.  ;)
5) Important for everyone to have living wills, real wills, and pay attention to care givers, estate, maids, bank accounts, scout out places, get good doctors with admitting privileges, etc. Before Shit Happens. This is important for everyone, actually. Avoid less mess or family troubles after death or if incapacitated.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 09:39:24 PM
Yes, maybe ornaments in repoussé, mother-of-pearl handles, monograms, inlaid cases lined in velveteen, that sort of thing.  The way fine pistols used to be marketed to gentlemen.
No, no. Put the sockets into a stocking and defend The Trumpeteer against those evil cops. Like a blackjack against the Capitalist running dogs!

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on September 08, 2020, 09:48:07 PM
Good point. I THINK it was before the mandated mercury CFL crap. I hope. If not, that could explain "some things."

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2020, 09:52:02 PM
No, no. Put the sockets into a stocking and defend The Trumpeteer against those evil cops. Like a blackjack against the Capitalist running dogs!

That is an excellent idea, but what shall I do with all those stockpiled urine bags?

It is unusual that my dad would get it but I wonder since, by the time I knew them, both my grandfathers had been stunned into virtual silence by their voluble and overbearing wives and could have been suffering for years without anyone noticing anything amiss, just sitting in their armchairs smiling and nodding.

Oh man. Did I have some silly issues with the VA nursing home during the last little portion of my Father's life.  My folks moved here to the South after my kid was born to spoil her a bit.  After a number of years my Dad became bedridden and between my Mom and me we could take care of him. Up until my Mom got sick - I couldn't take care of both of them and sadly Dad needed more care than I could give him.

He went to a VA facility and it was really nice and well run. They kept insisting he had dementia - I'm not a Doctor but he seemed pretty with it to me. They would say he was "confused" when the staff would speak to him.  I'm like look - the dude can't hear well and he's from up north. The southern african american woman and the indian dude you have talking to him might as well be speaking Chinese - he can't understand what they are saying.

One time they gave him some sort of cognitive test where they had him watch a TV show but they picked the Andy Griffith Show which is much beloved in NC. Fine - except my Dad always hated it in general and Don Knotts in particular.  So they had asked what happened to the Deputy in the episode and the Old Man was like who cares? He's an asshole.   Well that ended that session right there.

Finally had to work it out where they would write down what they wanted and let him read it. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2020, 09:59:54 PM
Oh man. Did I have some silly issues with the VA nursing home during the last little portion of my Father's life.  My folks moved here to the South after my kid was born to spoil her a bit.  After a number of years my Dad became bedridden and between my Mom and me we could take care of him. Up until my Mom got sick - I couldn't take care of both of them and sadly Dad needed more care than I could give him.

He went to a VA facility and it was really nice and well run. They kept insisting he had dementia - I'm not a Doctor but he seemed pretty with it to me. They would say he was "confused" when the staff would speak to him.  I'm like look - the dude can't hear well and he's from up north. The southern african american woman and the indian dude you have talking to him might as well be speaking Chinese - he can't understand what they are saying.

One time they gave him some sort of cognitive test where they had him watch a TV show but they picked the Andy Griffith Show which is much beloved in NC. Fine - except my Dad always hated it in general and Don Knotts in particular.  So they had asked what happened to the Deputy in the episode and the Old Man was like who cares? He's an asshole.   Well that ended that session right there.

Finally had to work it out where they would write down what they wanted and let him read it.

How could anyone hate Mayberry?!

Did...did he ever tell you he loved you? ???

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 09:59:26 PM
That is an excellent idea, but what shall I do with all those stockpiled urine bags?

It is unusual that my dad would get it but I wonder since, by the time I knew them, both my grandfathers had been stunned into virtual silence by their voluble and overbearing wives and could have been suffering for years without anyone noticing anything amiss, just sitting in their armchairs smiling and nodding.
Use them to help the alert elders to escape the "nursing home." Take off the antifa black and don some techno white gear, left over from that wild weekend in Rotterdam in the White/Black Techno Fest, or your summer gear at the Hamptons, and yell to a slack-jawed worker: "hey what the hell, dispose of these bags. What the hell are you doing? They have been filled up and hanging on the chairs and beds for hours!" As the stunned colored staff member throws down his joint, hangs up the phone call with one of his girlfriends, and runs to accommodate your order. Meanwhile you steal out the patients via a back entrance into freedom! The keys will be in the hearse, btw.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2020, 10:11:14 PM
Use them to help the alert elders to escape the "nursing home." Take off the antifa black and don some techno white gear, left over from that wild weekend in Rotterdam in the White/Black Techno Fest, or your summer gear at the Hamptons, and yell to a slack-jawed worker: "hey what the hell, dispose of these bags. What the hell are you doing? They have been filled up and hanging on the chairs and beds for hours!" As the stunned colored staff member throws down his joint, hangs up the phone call with one of his girlfriends, and runs to accommodate your order. Meanwhile you steal out the patients via a back entrance into freedom! The keys will be in the hearse, btw.

Haha you mean the White Party in Palm Springs?  Yes, storm the Norse Home, set up a commune with Trumpet Man for the elderly, much like your Dutch Potemkin village except with mead halls and feasting, run on the principles of primitive anarchy.  Launch raids across the lake in fast ships crewed by geriatrics on Bellevue and Medina for designer luggage and flowery shirts and cigars.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 10:23:34 PM
Haha you mean the White Party in Palm Springs?  Yes, storm the Norse Home, set up a commune with Trumpet Man for the elderly, much like your Dutch Potemkin village except with mead halls and feasting, run on the principles of primitive anarchy.  Launch raids across the lake in fast ships crewed by geriatrics on Bellevue and Medina for designer luggage and flowery shirts and cigars.
I like it! MV though has already his AI who has copywritten- and submitted- our plots. And a certain joo, untainted by #metoo, has secured funding by some more tainted #dontchoppeopleupforoil funding for this movie. That apparently will be a franchise.  :( They liked the idea of targeting older audiences with youthful ideals for retirees with expendable income. Since no more economy in kids who don't want to drive, work, or go to movies and to whom everything will offend.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2020, 09:49:54 PM
In my limited experience:

...One notes an interesting program in The Netherlands where they created a whole 'village' where everything is like the 1950's...

So eat your sardines and eggs.  ;)
I guess I’m all set if I inadvertently stroll into losing my mind land, at least in a virtual sense, what with my my favorite OTA broadcasts of MeTV, COZI, Movies!, and H&I.  But, I’m still fighting the good fight, while consuming massive quantities of sardines and poached eggs and enjoying Perry Mason and Twelve O’Clock High. ;)

Silphion

Quote from: ItsOver on September 08, 2020, 10:39:03 PM
I guess I’m all set if I inadvertently stroll into losing my mind land, at least in a virtual sense, what with my my favorite OTA broadcasts of MeTV, COZI, Movies!, and H&I.  But, I’m still fighting the good fight, while consuming massive quantities of sardines and poached eggs and enjoying Perry Mason and Twelve O’Clock High. ;)

Not to mention Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock and Peter Gunn

ItsOver

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 08, 2020, 10:22:09 PM
Thelma Lou was one happy lady.
Thelma Lou was a hottie.  Helen Crump was a bitch.  What the hell were you thinking, Andy?

Ciardelo

Quote from: ItsOver on September 08, 2020, 10:43:50 PM
Thelma Lou was a hottie.  Helen Crump was a bitch.  What the hell were you thinking, Andy?

Was ANYBODY married in Mayberry?

ItsOver

Quote from: Silphion on September 08, 2020, 10:43:44 PM
Not to mention Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock and Peter Gunn
I thought I did.  Or didn’t I? Oh, well, let me open another tin and crack another egg.

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on September 08, 2020, 10:39:03 PM

You are in good hands. Imagine the nightmare scenario for him! He WISHES he was in some Chinese Falong-Gong, Christian, prison camp getting his organs taken out for sale because likewise eviscerated all the time by this guy MASON!

ps: I don't wish to offend our Chinese masters with these comments. My liver is a no-go. And likewise due to your Corona-Chan other organs, sirs.

ItsOver

Quote from: Ciardelo on September 08, 2020, 10:45:54 PM
Was ANYBODY married in Mayberry?
Otis, the town drunk, was.  Go figure.