• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

Quote from: ItsOver on November 17, 2015, 11:45:07 AM
Yes.  ;D  HR seems to be composed of characters similar to my pre-teen sisters having a tea party, setting-around, coming-up with goofy ideas to impose upon unwilling victims...

In any medium to large organization, of the directors/VPs of the various departments, the HR Director/VP is almost always the dumbest, the least qualified for upper management, often a PC hire to fill a demographic for the organization at that level.

Quote from: chefist on November 17, 2015, 11:45:23 AM
Unfortunately, HR has shifted from employee acquisition and retention to risk prevention (avoiding litigation). Well, I will be letting my HR manager go at the end of January. Just one example of schadenfreude justice I guess...

You mentioned your largest customer their operations of of state.  Sorry to hear that.

Regarding the shift from attracting and retaining good people to risk prevention, you're right - but those are not opposing goals, why on earth can't they do both?

chefist

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 17, 2015, 12:39:35 PM
You mentioned your largest customer their operations of of state.  Sorry to hear that.

Regarding the shift from attracting and retaining good people to risk prevention, you're right - but those are not opposing goals, why on earth can't they do both?

Thanks...sucky times for sure around here...

No, they really are not apposing. I was having a talk about HR "professionals' last night with a friend.  It is a very strange profession...there are certificates in HR, bachelors, masters, weekend courses...it is not regulated at all...

GravitySucks

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 17, 2015, 12:36:42 PM
In any medium to large organization, of the directors/VPs of the various departments, the HR Director/VP is almost always the dumbest, the least qualified for upper management, often a PC hire to fill a demographic for the organization at that level.

Whatever demographic they choose, they send them to the same orientation class as they do for Corporate Controllers:

"Just say no."

ItsOver

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 17, 2015, 12:36:42 PM
I remember when it was called Personnel.  It displayed it's true idiocy and contempt for personnel when we became "human capital."

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on November 17, 2015, 01:06:30 PM
I remember when it was called Personnel.  It displayed it's true idiocy and contempt for personnel when we became "human capital."

Or worse 'human resources' at least capital is something one usually likes to preserve....resources you just burn up or use.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on November 17, 2015, 01:14:02 PM
Or worse 'human resources' at least capital is something one usually likes to preserve....resources you just burn up or use.
Human capital makes feel so warm and human inside.  Just like the rest of the inventory.  Maybe I should file a grievance for hurting my feelings.  Then again, I wouldn't want any nuts or bolts to feel disciminated against.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 17, 2015, 11:38:54 AM
    Entering the USPS means three full days of purely HR orientation. It was like the Parallax View. Here watch these videos.

The best was the Edward James Olmos as his Miami Vice character telling us not to steal mail...

I haven't heard of anyone "going postal" for awhile, the videos instructing the new hires not to shoot each other must be making headway

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 17, 2015, 12:58:11 PM
Whatever demographic they choose, they send them to the same orientation class as they do for Corporate Controllers:

"Just say no."

Isn't Accounting the world's second oldest profession?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 17, 2015, 01:26:06 PM
I haven't heard of anyone "going postal" for awhile, the videos instructing the new hires not to shoot each other must be making headway

I do wonder if they've addressed that in recent years. In my time there, not only was "Going Postal" denied by management, they considered it a smear campaign. They fought the release of a book called "Going Postal".

"We're safer than gas stations and fast food places". Yeah, but those are robberies. Not getting shot by your fellow mailhandler and carriers.

BobGrau

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 17, 2015, 12:30:59 PM
The bozo in the met office who decided that storms hitting the UK will be named. Started with the hola hoop being imported, then Halloween, then school proms now naming storms!! Oh, current storm has been called Barney. Barney?? Are they for real?

La la la la,
la la la la,

Elmo's Storm.

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 17, 2015, 01:34:09 PM
Isn't Accounting the world's second oldest profession?

Someone had to count all those beads and shells coming in from the world's oldest profession.

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 17, 2015, 11:38:54 AM
    Entering the USPS means three full days of purely HR orientation. It was like the Parallax View. Here watch these videos.

The best was the Edward James Olmos as his Miami Vice character telling us not to steal mail. It had to been made in 1985-86. And still showing it to us in 1995.
Ha!  This is even mentioned in his Wiki write-up.

"From 1984 to 1989, Olmos starred in his biggest role up to that date as the taciturn police Lieutenant Martin Castillo in the television series Miami Vice, opposite Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas. He was awarded a Golden Globe and an Emmy in 1985 for his work in the series. At this time, Olmos also starred in a short training video for the United States Postal Service entitled Was it Worth It?, a video about theft in the workplace.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ItsOver on November 17, 2015, 08:51:00 PM
Ha!  This is even mentioned in his Wiki write-up.

"From 1984 to 1989, Olmos starred in his biggest role up to that date as the taciturn police Lieutenant Martin Castillo in the television series Miami Vice, opposite Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas. He was awarded a Golden Globe and an Emmy in 1985 for his work in the series. At this time, Olmos also starred in a short training video for the United States Postal Service entitled Was it Worth It?, a video about theft in the workplace."

That's beautiful ;D ;D ;D. I'd say a USPS member did that Wiki edit. There were about 50 of us in the room when the video was shown, and about 90% of us were either laughing or rolling our eyes. In terms of pure belly laughs, watching that silly video was "worth it".

Barfly

Flat tires on my motorcycle.
And every fucker in Hollywood that thinks they are better than everybody else, and can give not only political opinions but life advice as well.
Fuck them pompous overpaid dicks suckers.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Barfly on November 18, 2015, 02:16:02 PM
Flat tires on my motorcycle.
And every fucker in Hollywood that thinks they are better than everybody else, and can give not only political opinions but life advice as well.
Fuck them pompous overpaid dicks suckers.
Hey Barfly.  Mang, ya really got to get over suppressing your emotions. ::)

BobGrau

Stupid new meds and their stupid twitchy side-effects. I'm like MC Hammer when I try to go to sleep.

Yorkshire pud

Fucking inconsiderate wankers who park their white van on the junction of two roads, so that when I nudge past to turn left the timing is perfect....to hit the car that was driving past the van towards me on my blind side...Thus causing my Volvo to write off her Ford. Fortunately she (driver) is okay. Very shaken and upset but not injured. Modern cars these days just take the damage; and the damage on her car is pretty much from front to rear wheel and both door panels mangled. But both doors opened, air bag went off and she's unscratched. Because of the airbag deployment, the insurance will write it off. It's just not worth the cost apparently.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 21, 2015, 12:59:09 PM
Fucking inconsiderate wankers who park their white van on the junction of two roads, so that when I nudge past to turn left the timing is perfect....to hit the car that was driving past the van towards me on my blind side...Thus causing my Volvo to write off her Ford. Fortunately she (driver) is okay. Very shaken and upset but not injured. Modern cars these days just take the damage; and the damage on her car is pretty much from front to rear wheel and both door panels mangled. But both doors opened, air bag went off and she's unscratched. Because of the airbag deployment, the insurance will write it off. It's just not worth the cost apparently.

That's what happens when you post on BellGab while you're driving, you twit.  Thank goodness you didn't injure anyone.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 21, 2015, 01:22:23 PM
That's what happens when you post on BellGab while you're driving, you twit.  Thank goodness you didn't injure anyone.

She understood my fans' needs were paramount. She did ask though if she could host GC next time. I told her no. She'll just have to deal with it.

If you all drove on the proper side of the road over there, none of this would have happened   ::)

I'm glad everyone is ok anyway..

VtaGeezer

Glad no one was hurt.  Was it on one of those quaint 14th Century lanes where you just close your eyes, pull out, and hope?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 21, 2015, 02:51:38 PM
Glad no one was hurt.  Was it on one of those quaint 14th Century lanes where you just close your eyes, pull out, and hope?

No, oddly.

This is the van in the parked position, and the damage to the car caused by mine.

b_dubb

When I bite my tongue or the inside of my mouth while eating

Ouch

albrecht

Quote from: b_dubb on November 22, 2015, 05:27:52 PM

Ouch
Tortilla chips are my Nemesis. They seem to be perfectly designed to be able to find an edge and cut into/wedge under my gums. Revenge for comments about illegals? Who knows but they give them out free and somehow always target my gums.

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on November 22, 2015, 05:27:52 PM

Ouch

Have you ever bitten a fork? That's unpleasant.

jazmunda

How did I know you'd drive a volvo.

albrecht

Luckily I'm not up there but got some relatives in Spokane and E.Washington area and they are still without power for a week now due to the wind storm and cold weather and now snow coming.
http://www.khq.com/story/30570589/power-outage-updates