• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Marc.Knight

Quote from: aldousburbank on March 18, 2011, 09:45:47 AM
I heard somewhere about how since the spread of the cellphone, when you call someone, you now no longer know their location until they tell you.  I thought that was interesting.

In a similar vein I was thinking about because of the omnipresence of internet access, one can no longer claim ignorance of almost any subject due to lack of access to information, but only for lack of interest.

I semi agree with this.  The problem that persists however, is the quality of information that you can access.  Most of the sources that are free, such as data from Wikipedia, are dubious repositories of information, at best.  Any university adhering to academic standards never allows references from Wikipedia.  It might point you in the right direction for further research, but it should never been utilized as a trusted source of information on anything.

Unfortunately, the best sources of vetted information, including scholarly research, high level studies, professionally maintained encyclopedias all require paid subscriptions.  This effectively blocks the majority of internet users from the best sources of secondary or tertiary information.

aldousburbank

Signal to Noise ratio is a huge deal on the net for sure.  I think the level of relevance breaks down quickly dependent on source/subject.  For example, I'm a plant geek, so I love doing searches for articles by species for example, just to see what's out there.  The best sources I recognize, such as the major journals and published botanists, so the material sorting is rather linear and simple, and yes, not always free.  But say for example somebody wants to do research on God or 9/11 or vaccination then God forbid... The sorting process might exceed the interest level and rate of return.

Added point: so I should modify with- ignorance of a subject is no excuse providing you have the web access (with all the prerequisite stabilities and infrastructure), and the digi-cash to pay for the information sought.

onan

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 19, 2011, 06:39:19 PM

I semi agree with this.  The problem that persists however, is the quality of information that you can access.  Most of the sources that are free, such as data from Wikipedia, are dubious repositories of information, at best.  Any university adhering to academic standards never allows references from Wikipedia.  It might point you in the right direction for further research, but it should never been utilized as a trusted source of information on anything.

Unfortunately, the best sources of vetted information, including scholarly research, high level studies, professionally maintained encyclopedias all require paid subscriptions.  This effectively blocks the majority of internet users from the best sources of secondary or tertiary information.

I agree with your point on access. I think there is another point that you touch on and that is scholarship. Even if one has access to the most accurate source material without discussion and educational discipline (for lack of a better term) that material may not really be fully understood. Worse than that is the temptation to cherry pick information to form what seems like well thought out positions but in reality is void of full examination.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: aldousburbank on March 19, 2011, 07:03:54 PM
Signal to Noise ratio is a huge deal on the net for sure.  I think the level of relevance breaks down quickly dependent on source/subject.  For example, I'm a plant geek, so I love doing searches for articles by species for example, just to see what's out there.  The best sources I recognize, such as the major journals and published botanists, so the material sorting is rather linear and simple, and yes, not always free.  But say for example somebody wants to do research on God or 9/11 or vaccination then God forbid... The sorting process might exceed the interest level and rate of return.

I think most libraries have "Athens" or some other log-in credentials so you can get the scholarly journal articles for free, although I am not sure about that.  I have access currently through my university.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on March 19, 2011, 07:08:01 PM

I agree with your point on access. I think there is another point that you touch on and that is scholarship. Even if one has access to the most accurate source material without discussion and educational discipline (for lack of a better term) that material may not really be fully understood. Worse than that is the temptation to cherry pick information to form what seems like well thought out positions but in reality is void of full examination.

yes, the application of scientific methodologies, both quantitative and qualitative as applicable, is imperative in the research process.

Random stupid shit:

I am as sick as a fucking dog and have been for way too long. It's getting worse.

Inner ear infections have left me half deaf in both ears (supposed to be temporary but its been a long fucking time now)

Also, lung infection and I cant smoke any damned cannabis, or breathe properly at all.

Now they just casually drop that my ear issues could be related to the presence a tumor in my brain. maybe. FUCK.

FUUUUUUCCKK.

aldousburbank

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 20, 2011, 03:58:09 PM
I cant smoke any damned cannabis

WTF?  That's horrible!

Seriously, hope you're ok.

haloedorchid

Oh no, guildnavigator! I hope it is not a tumor and everything turns out well. You're in my prayers.

anagrammy

Random stupid shit:

I am as sick as a fucking dog and have been for way too long. It's getting worse.

Inner ear infections have left me half deaf in both ears (supposed to be temporary but its been a long fucking time now)

Also, lung infection and I cant smoke any damned cannabis, or breathe properly at all.

Now they just casually drop that my ear issues could be related to the presence a tumor in my brain. maybe. FUCK.

FUUUUUUCCKK.

Well, that's just dandy.  Just what you wanted to hear---I have never heard of that connection. 

Lung infection and ear infection, oh man, and no weed.  What about taffy?  I used to do editing for a marijuana testing lab and people who can't smoke can still get relief with taffy or some other edible.  Don't give up hope, man.  The Gab wouldn't be the same without your pithy comments, so we're here for you.  I take it they are scheduling you for an MRI?  When will you know for sure....F U U U U C K is right.  I don't pray, but I will definitely send you positive healing energy.  Is that your photo for your avatar?

Anagrammy

b_dubb

Taffy?  i guess that's another variation of pot butter?  eat it instead of smoking it.  that's out of the bowl ...er ... box thinking

onan

I just realized GuildNavigator has the same initials as George Noory... coincidence?

Sorry to hear about your troubles... gotta be scary. Good luck keep us informed please.

Thanks guys. I have been using edible cannabis products... mostly just capsules of ground cannabis infused to sesame oil. I have a stupid-high tolerance and usually require more than two simultaneous cannabinoid profiles to feel relief, meaning I need to ingest multiple strains.

The avatar picture is actually a photo of Art Bell from the 1970's.

guildnavigator is from a book called Dune written by Frank Herbert. (There was an absurdly incomprehensible film version directed by David Lynch that I also love)

No resemblance to george noory- abbreviated GN or otherwise- was intentional... in fact it's bothering me so much that I am considering asking Noory to change his name so I can keep guildnavigator.

Thanks again for your kind words!

b_dubb

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 21, 2011, 10:32:27 AMguildnavigator is from a book called Dune written by Frank Herbert. (There was an absurdly incomprehensible film version directed by David Lynch that I also love)

.... spice ...

best wishes guildnavigator

aldousburbank

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 21, 2011, 10:32:27 AM
The avatar picture is actually a photo of Art Bell from the 1970's.

Stupendous!

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 21, 2011, 10:32:27 AM
guildnavigator is from a book called Dune written by Frank Herbert. (There was an absurdly incomprehensible film version directed by David Lynch that I also love)
I enjoyed "The Saratoga Factor" by F. Herbert as well.  It's about a valley in California, where all commerce is local.  Turns out they're all tripping on a naturally occurring fungus which turns them into liberal birkenstock wearing locavores, more or less.

aldousburbank

Talk about Random Stupid Thoughts:

You know how in Mars Attack and, I think Independence Day, the shit all goes down in Parumph?  Allright, so I was thinking... Maybe Parumph is THE place for a dang ol' Winter Solstice 2012 hoedown, peaceful uprising, Art vigil, and pajama party.  You know, a CoastGabCon. (?)

i have extended family who live in pahrump. When they married in, and me and my wife found out what town they lived in, we were excited. We mentioned art bell.

"...who?"

they have no idea and don't seem to care.

might be worth a "family visit" though. they seem like real dicks, so maybe not!

CoastgabCon... PahrumpCon... hah...

EvB

Random stupid shit:

FUUUUUUCCKK.

that stinks- keep us posted!

Glad they went with Hal J.

In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light!

someone reported one of my art bell torrents & a mod deleted it. (on demon-oid)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 999 on March 25, 2011, 04:22:19 PM
someone reported one of my art bell torrents & a mod deleted it. (on demon-oid)
why was it deleted?

MV/Liberace!

nancy grace is a fear mongering CUNT.  i hate her and wish she would be struck by a decommissioned satellite plummeting to the earth.  if you can watch the following video without agreeing, then you've been feasting on lead based paint chips for the last 35 years.  she's just atrocious.

Nancy Grace, Weatherman Bernie Rayno Fight About Radiation

What the Hell was that???????

You know, every other week or so, as I'm scrolling through my too many cable channels I come across a listing for this person. 

"Oh," I think.  "An educated woman with a news show. Perhaps I should watch." 

Within two minutes something inside of me starts to scream, "Run away, run away, run away!" 

I usually just change the channel.  Until, in a week or so, as I'm scrolling through...................

Maybe now is the time to cancel that cable thing.  That money could go toward a reputable therapist.
;)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Michael V. on March 25, 2011, 05:27:41 PM
nancy grace is a fear mongering CUNT.  i hate her and wish she would be struck by a decommissioned satellite plummeting to the earth.  if you can watch the following video without agreeing, then you've been feasting on lead based paint chips for the last 35 years.  she's just atrocious.

Nancy Grace, Weatherman Bernie Rayno Fight About Radiation

Genetically vacuous.

haloedorchid

Quote from: Michael V. on March 25, 2011, 05:27:41 PM

Just wait until the next marginally attractive blonde girl goes missing. Then she will leave the radiation talk to scientists, where it belongs.