• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Jackstar

Quote from: whoozit on January 31, 2021, 04:55:38 AM
Please demonstrate for us. 

I don't have a demonstrations licence.

Quote from: whoozit on January 31, 2021, 04:55:38 AM
The loss of you would be...indescribable.

This is Next Level stuff. Operating without a licence simply isn't done here. Availability granted on a case-needed basis. It's very strict. Very regulated as one may imagine. The penalties can be quite severe; for example one transgression of the wrong nature, and I might have to be stuck here forever. Eewww, gross.

That said, if you find a freshly OD hooker with a needle still in her, I can show you a trick or two that'll really impress you. Don't off one just on my account, if it's not legit it's not going to work. Got to be hot and fresh.

The gig has perks, I'm not going to lie. Aim high, Aces.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 1, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 1, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 02, 1921.

WOTR

Quote from: Jackstar on January 31, 2021, 05:30:56 AM

That said, if you find a freshly OD hooker with a needle still in her, I can show you a trick or two that'll really impress you. Don't off one just on my account, if it's not legit it's not going to work. Got to be hot and fresh.

Hey Rix. Do you ever leave this place for the night, return the next day, and question just what the hell happened in your absence?  ;)

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 02, 2021, 02:11:33 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 02, 1921.

I don't mind heights. But 90 feet with a pulley in hand, probably a wrench in the other and no platform? Can you imagine the fit that the modern day health and safety committee would have? It would not be a furlough, it would be the stockade...

Rix Gins

February 2, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on February 02, 2021, 02:14:55 AM
Hey Rix. Do you ever leave this place for the night, return the next day, and question just what the hell happened in your absence?  ;)

Ha ha, no, not really.  This is BellGab.

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 02, 2021, 02:25:34 AM
Ha ha, no, not really.  This is BellGab.

It may be true. It may be expected because... Bellgab. You know how I'm sure that the hotel maid expects to find a stain on the carpet, a dirty sink, maybe some guest stole the towels. But we seem to go "above and beyond."

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on February 02, 2021, 03:28:56 AM
It may be true. It may be expected because... Bellgab. You know how I'm sure that the hotel maid expects to find a stain on the carpet, a dirty sink, maybe some guest stole the towels. But we seem to go "above and beyond."

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 03, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 3, 1921.  Public Domain

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 03, 2021, 02:15:04 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 03, 1921.

:gasp: Unlit spooning!

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 04, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 4, 1921.  Public Domain

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 04, 2021, 02:33:42 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 04, 1921.

And here I thought waiting on the cable company was bad!

whoozit

Why didn’t he just go to the store and pick up the phone?   ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 04, 2021, 01:49:07 PM
And here I thought waiting on the cable company was bad!
It has been lacking now that Google went other direction and the merger but for a while the cable service was AMAZING. Call and operator would send someone (contractor usually) almost instantly. It is amazing how capitalism works- even in places that are, almost, natural monopolies. 

One will note that contractors and sub-contractors would often bitch about the company(s) and the former persons who set the system, lines, etc up.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on February 04, 2021, 03:49:13 PM
It has been lacking now that Google went other direction and the merger but for a while the cable service was AMAZING. Call and operator would send someone (contractor usually) almost instantly. It is amazing how capitalism works- even in places that are, almost, natural monopolies.

I have to call every year (pre-covid) to get our "emergency" hard-wired phone turned on for the pool. AT&T (SWBell) is our provider. Virtually no wait time the last couple of years. Of course we didn't open the pool last season and may not this season either. 
Quote from: albrecht on February 04, 2021, 03:49:13 PM
One will note that contractors and sub-contractors would often bitch about the company(s) and the former persons who set the system, lines, etc up.

Sweet baby Jeezus I hate that. Every time I need some plumbing or electrical work or something done on one of my properties I have to hear about how a fucked up job the "last guy" did. It must be in the Official Contractor Handbook they all are working out of. ;)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 05, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 5, 1921.  Public Domain

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 05, 2021, 02:57:07 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 05, 1921.

I wish newspapers printed such interesting stories today.   

What was the bird in question? Any Audubon types here?

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Pueblo Chieftain., February 06, 1921.

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 04, 2021, 05:10:38 PM
I have to call every year (pre-covid) to get our "emergency" hard-wired phone turned on for the pool. AT&T (SWBell) is our provider. Virtually no wait time the last couple of years. Of course we didn't open the pool last season and may not this season either. 
Sweet baby Jeezus I hate that. Every time I need some plumbing or electrical work or something done on one of my properties I have to hear about how a fucked up job the "last guy" did. It must be in the Official Contractor Handbook they all are working out of. ;)
I like the 'shaking of the head.' Maybe an 'wiping of the brow' and elaborate sigh when 'explaining' what the PREVIOUS person did and necessitates redoing etc.  Hollywood has nothing on some professions!

I was related an hilarious car dealership situation a few hours ago in which the 'same story' was told, and recorded. Friggin awesome an alleged 'call' to the former owner who sounded like Paco working back in the detailing part of the dealership who just responded to questions like a C2C guest to the salesman's questions. And then the owner, "we run a family business" related the same story about the vehicle and was "amazed at your credit history" and "let's get you into that Denali, you know the former owner of the vehicle only used a bit before the virus cut down on his hours and it just came in. I can't believe it is still in the lot." (Meanwhile besides same story, the VIN look up etc shows they've had it for months.)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 07, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 7, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 08, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 8, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 09, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 9, 1921.  Public Domain