• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 10, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 10, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Daily Star-Mirror., February 11, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 11, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 12, 1921.

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 12, 2021, 02:27:04 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 12, 1921.

I wonder which he preferred after the month? While the beds in the workhouse may be softer- I don't generally believe they were places you wanted to end up...

Rix Gins

February 12, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on February 12, 2021, 02:31:01 AM
I wonder which he preferred after the month? While the beds in the workhouse may be softer- I don't generally believe they were places you wanted to end up...

I was wondering about what kind of exhaust was in the pipe.  Apparently a type that was warm enough to keep him alive during the winter months.  That, and what kind of toilet facilities were available to him.

Jackstar

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 12, 2021, 02:42:15 AM
I was wondering about what kind of exhaust was in the pipe.  Apparently a type that was warm enough to keep him alive during the winter months.  That, and what kind of toilet facilities were available to him.

I'm probably not allowed to share my knowledge on this--Tribal patent claims are a real nightmare weasel--it's really not that big a deal when one can meditate at the drop of a whim and then directly translate to a sideline dimension while making minor adjustments in the local timestream.

Let me guess: you adorbables think that's all bullshit. Okay then. I bet you think The Lottery isn't rigged either.

/flex

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 12, 2021, 02:42:15 AM

Being NYC... 100:1 that it was a subway vent.*

*Though it could have been a boiler room for one of the larger buildings...

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Albuquerque Morning Journal, February 13, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 14, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 15, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 15, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram.  February 16, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 16, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 17, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 17, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 18, 1921.

Henry would die four days later.
https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-henrystarr/

Rix Gins

February 18, 1921.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 18, 2021, 02:49:46 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 18, 1921.

Henry would die four days later.
https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-henrystarr/
Hidden a rifle in the vault? Wow. I guess the "bandits" should have kept a closer eye on the people they were robbing...

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on February 18, 2021, 03:01:54 AM
Hidden a rifle in the vault? Wow. I guess the "bandits" should have kept a closer eye on the people they were robbing...

I think the bank official got the rifle as the bandits were leaving the vault.  It doesn't say it in the clipping, but Henry was shot in the back.  But you're right, Henry and the other bandits should have been more careful.   

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 19, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 19, 1921.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 21, 1921.

Rix Gins

February 21, 1921.  Public Domain

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 19, 2021, 02:44:39 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., February 19, 1921.

Interesting. At first I thought neighborhood kids were playing a prank but....

https://www.nature.com/news/1999/990902/full/news990902-9.html

"The researchers gave these dainty formations the name 'yukimarimo'. 'Yuki' is the Japanese for snow, and 'marimo' is a globular water plant found in a lake in Hokkaido, Japan's northern island. Marimo are highly esteemed in Japan, being designated a Special Japanese Natural Treasure for their beauty. The researchers saw a likeness between these velvety green spherical plants and this novel frost formation. The resemblance is, perhaps, one that only a home-sick worker in the monochrome world of the polar regions would see. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_roller

pate

Did we ever get to the end of that Great War?

Axing for a fiend, TIA.

-p

Rix Gins

Quote from: pate on July 24, 2022, 12:05:22 AMDid we ever get to the end of that Great War?

Axing for a fiend, TIA.

-p

We certainly did.  The winning countries set about trying to prevent another one, but only caused another to happen later on.  

pate

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 24, 2022, 01:19:54 AMWe certainly did.  The winning countries set about trying to prevent another one, but only caused another to happen later on. 
I am Khan-fused about the definition of...

...winning, Nautical Shore?

-p