• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

Nebraska888

Quote from: zeebo on October 16, 2016, 04:42:17 PM
I have a few precious ounces left of my Ardbeg 10 which I'll be nursing tonite.  My favorite review of it called it a 'caramel-coated bonfire' haha. 

Curious about both guests tonite, looking forward to the show.

I'm with ya', Zee.

Robert

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 16, 2016, 02:51:25 PMI also remember the "National Lampoon Radio Hour" syndicated show from the 70s.
I did so too in NYC, forgot what station, though I didn't hear many installments of it.  It was the first I heard of Harold Ramis; it predated SCTV.

TigerLily

Sounds like a great show tonight! Thank you, good George. Cat, check; beverage, check; silky jammies, check; candles, check.  Good to go. Enjoy, fellow Knappsters

zeebo

With this edgy satire I may need to go to my safe zone.

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on October 16, 2016, 11:20:52 PM
Sounds like a great show tonight! Thank you, good George. Cat, check; beverage, check; silky jammies, check; candles, check.  Good to go. Enjoy, fellow Knappsters

Hey TL. Good to see you.

Uncle Duke

Doesn't sound like Hendra is going to take calls, would have liked to have spoken to him.

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 16, 2016, 11:24:35 PM
Hey TL. Good to see you.

Hi Grav. Always a pleasure to see you. Hi zeebo. You knew I would make it

GravitySucks

I have always remembered bits of a "poem" that was written in like a letter to the editor sometime after the fall of the shah in Iran

There once was an old Ayatollah, that didn't know shit from Shinola

Now, Pahlavi, the Shah of Iran, used to piss on the poor working man

That's about all I remember. Weird how what snippets of randomness get stuck in the neural net.

Simpler times.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 16, 2016, 11:34:06 PM
I have always remembered bits of a "poem" that was written in like a letter to the editor sometime after the fall of the shah in Iran

There once was an old Ayatollah, that didn't know shit from Shinola

Now, Pahlavi, the Shah of Iran, used to piss on the poor working man

That's about all I remember. Weird how what snippets of randomness get stuck in the neural net.

Simpler times.

Sounds familiar.  I also remember a satirical quote attributed to the Shah, "Before I ran, I ran Iran".

Nebraska888

First hour was delightful!  Knapp rocks!

zeebo

Really enjoying the show so far, cool topics.  The whole VR thing is intriguing.  I used to be blown away by 8-bit worlds of blocky pixels ... now I expect 3d videogame trees to sway just right in the breeze.  Took this screenshot from Skyrim awhile back.  Everytime I hear about this miserable election I wanna go there, can you blame me?

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on October 17, 2016, 01:12:42 AM
Really enjoying the show so far, cool topics.  The whole VR thing is intriguing.  I used to be blown away by 8-bit worlds of blocky pixels ... now I expect 3d videogame trees to sway just right in the breeze.  Took this screenshot from Skyrim awhile back.  Everytime I hear about this miserable election I wanna go there, can you blame me?

lol.. Only if you won't let me tag along. Great show. And we get to do it again next Sunday  8)

136 or 142

I thought the first hour guest was okay, but not great.  His comedy was hit and miss and he sounded to me every bit as smug and arrogant as the people he likely likes to satirize.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on October 17, 2016, 01:12:42 AM
Thuh, trooth!  I'm sure hoping we get Knapp three times this month or is Jorch going to screw it up by doing something on the last Sunday of the month, like dress up as a creepy Morgus with alien child and do Shecret Halloween Doors?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 17, 2016, 06:30:33 AM
I thought the first hour guest was okay, but not great.  His comedy was hit and miss and he sounded to me every bit as smug and arrogant as the people he likely likes to satirize.

I wasn't going to comment, but since you brought it up, I agree with you. In fact, you said it very well.  I think Knapp was even taken aback a couple times by Hendra's arrogance.  He sounded to me like he never outgrew the "I know everything"  teen/college student phase most of us have gone through.  I still admire Hendra's comedic brilliance, but am disappointed he doesn't seem to have grown as a person and/or satirist since the 70s.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 17, 2016, 12:19:21 PM
I wasn't going to comment, but since you brought it up, I agree with you. In fact, you said it very well.  I think Knapp was even taken aback a couple times by Hendra's arrogance.  He sounded to me like he never outgrew the "I know everything"  teen/college student phase most of us have gone through.  I still admire Hendra's comedic brilliance, but am disappointed he doesn't seem to have grown as a person and/or satirist since the 70s.

Sorry to hear that, Duke, because I was a big fan of National Lampoon during its heyday. Maybe the stress of managing Spinal Tap turned him arrogant and bitter.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 17, 2016, 12:31:56 PM
Sorry to hear that, Duke, because I was a big fan of National Lampoon during its heyday. Maybe the stress of managing Spinal Tap turned him arrogant and bitter.

Damn Ghost, I forgot Hendra played the manager in "Spinal Tap".  He was quite good in that role, I especially liked his exchanges and interplay with McKean's girlfriend's character (June Chadwick?) as she tried to take over as band manager.

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on October 17, 2016, 06:39:03 AM
Thuh, trooth!  I'm sure hoping we get Knapp three times this month or is Jorch going to screw it up by doing something on the last Sunday of the month, like dress up as a creepy Morgus with alien child and do Shecret Halloween Doors?

Triple Knapp......wouldn't that be great?!  Halloween is on a Monday......Noory will be sure to ruin it.

ItsOver

Quote from: Nebraska888 on October 17, 2016, 02:59:51 PM
Triple Knapp......wouldn't that be great?!  Halloween is on a Monday......Noory will be sure to ruin it.
Let's hope it happens and Jorch just ruins Halloween on Monday.  Knapp on the Sunday before would help make-up for not having Art doing something for the holiday.

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on October 17, 2016, 03:39:19 PM
Let's hope it happens and Jorch just ruins Halloween on Monday.  Knapp on the Sunday before would help make-up for not having Art doing something for the holiday.

Now, that's what I call a great plan! 

Juan Cena

Quote from: ItsOver on October 17, 2016, 03:39:19 PM

I'd imagine Halloween in Las Vegas is a major time for the party scene. I'll bet Knapp has some major scandalous Halloween party stories that we'll never get out of him.

MrHippie

Bayou Killings/ Unmasking of a Cult
Sunday - October 23, 2016
Hosted by George Knapp
Guest(s): Ethan Brown, Meagen Gibson, Alex Howard

--

The Oct.16 show was a monster.

Sunday - October 16, 2016
Host:George Knapp
Guests: Jules Urbach, Tony Hendra

Someone should tell Mr. Knapp that Coast has flat lined because he keeps
making shows like this that give us hope.

---

Tony Hendra is a pro and has been in the game for a long time. To say
he has been influential in the comedy world is an understatement.
Political satirist and National Lampoon guiding force he is still going
strong with "The Final Edition" website and "The Final Edition Radio Show" podcast.

Tony Hendra was here at the beginning. As you all recall, National
Lampoon Magazine led to "Lemmings" that led to "National Lampoons Radio
Hour" that led to "Saturday Night Live" that led to ...everything else.

George Knapp just shines here. His sense of humor and genuine interest
and knowledge of Tony Hendra's life and work compliments Hendra's
intelligence and personal experience.

re: above comments
I don't feel that Knapp thought Hendra was arrogant.
He's just ,ya know, British.

http://www.thefinaledition.com/

--

Virtual Reality
Living in the Matrix
Red pill or Blue pill ?
and more

Jules Urbach was enthusiastic and sounded younger than expected.
And really, really, smart.

Let me see if I have this right.
When a computer simulation becomes so powerful that the characters in a
computer become conscious and self-aware but have no idea that they are
one's and zero's in a computer - they will be able to create another
computer simulation in their virtual world who will then create another
simulation inside that simulation and so on. And all these characters
won't realize that they are actually in a computer in a virtual
computer inside another virtual computer ... and so on.

My head hurts.

OK G.K.
Always ready for another Pot'O'Joe
We're with you man.

TigerLily

'Nother Knapp night nears  8)

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2016, 11:59:32 PM
I already have an eyepad.

Brings new meaning to keeping an eye out