• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151123 - Michio Kaku - Sciencey Stuff - Live Show Chat

Started by jazmunda, November 23, 2015, 05:30:09 PM

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: TigerLily on November 24, 2015, 12:30:23 AM
Merde. My sucky internet. Tune in keeps dropping every time I refresh.  I will leave you all to your own devices.. Night

Bye Tiger.

inuk2600

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on November 24, 2015, 12:31:17 AM
The Los Alamos story.  OUCH!!!   :o

Cecil Kelley, a chemical operator working on plutonium purification, switched on a stirrer on a large mixing tank, which created a vortex in the tank. The plutonium, dissolved in an organic solvent, flowed into the center of the vortex. Due to a procedural error, the mixture contained 3.27 kg of plutonium, which reached criticality for about 200 microseconds. Kelley received 3,900 to 4,900 rads according to later estimates. The other operators reported seeing a flash of light and found Kelley outside, saying "I'm burning up! I'm burning up!" He died 35 hours later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticality_accident

Reading about these criticality accidents are terrifying.

coaster

Ohhh that psychic commercial is just gross. Exploiting people's grief is just disgusting.

Rocky4228

One of my dogs has taken dumps on the base of street lights, and people's decorative stones.  It's hard to clean up.

WanagoBleu

Merde. My sucky internet. Tune in keeps dropping every time I refresh.  I will leave you all to your own devices.. Night
nite TL.

doctor weird

just tried that "psychics" website. its a dead link lol. a bit like her

maren

Quote from: WanagoBleu on November 24, 2015, 12:17:27 AM
have you watched, "What the Bleep Do We Know?"  Ps I would LOVE to see him.

Yeah -- I'm into all that shit.  ;D  He's so low key and NICE.  There are several YouTube vids with him, and I've read a lot of his books, too.    I just checked his site and it hasn't been updated since 2014 -- he's 80, so maybe he's not doing live appearances anymore?

Go to his site (fredalanwolf.com) and there's a Ted Talk vid on the front page (I'm going back to watch : :))

Zenman

Quote from: zeebo on November 24, 2015, 12:29:55 AM
If you haven't heard it, go back and listen to Art's interview with Michio about early nuclear research.  It freaked me out, fantastic show.  He talked about "tickling the dragon's tail" which gave me shivers.

That's where the guy was playing around with plutonium rods, iirc, and got them too close together and got the blue flash. Yow.

Barfly

Quote from: zeebo on November 24, 2015, 12:26:30 AM
Guys I could listen to Art & Michio and chat on Bellgab for hours.  Good times.  Thank you arbitrary, capricious universe.
The only issue i have with Art having Michio is guest is after a while you really have nothing new to talk about, Michio has a podcast already and he has been on Arts show many times.
I respect him and would rather have him over some nut Ghost hunter or OBE wacko, or the worst case scenario Linda Moulton plastic face, she needs to expose her plastic surgeon.

Donald Noory

Quote from: coaster on November 24, 2015, 12:34:04 AM
Ohhh that psychic commercial is just gross. Exploiting people's grief is just disgusting.

Yeah they ought to refuse to air that dumb cunt's commercial and refuse her advertising money. Trying to take advantage of people's losses.

Take Care Sister Tiger :)

Zzzzillion

'nite Tiger.

This is always perplexing in this day and age. I've never had an internet problem since the dial-up days. It's always really rock-solid on my phone, wifi, and tv. Where do you people live?

WanagoBleu

Quote from: maren on November 24, 2015, 12:34:39 AM
Yeah -- I'm into all that shit.  ;D  He's so low key and NICE.  There are several YouTube vids with him, and I've read a lot of his books, too.    I just checked his site and it hasn't been updated since 2014 -- he's 80, so maybe he's not doing live appearances anymore?

Go to his site (fredalanwolf.com) and there's a Ted Talk vid on the front page (I'm going back to watch : :))
thx. I'll look up his Ted Talk, didn't know he had done one! He's funny too.

Barfly

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 24, 2015, 12:28:50 AM
No, I mean I'm not a cable customer in any way, so nothing they do effects me in any way. I have hundreds of channels and all the on-demand I want via other modes.

... or am I missing something ...
I just misunderstood the comment, now i get ya

Sean92008

Quote from: doctor weird on November 24, 2015, 12:34:31 AM
just tried that "psychics" website. its a dead link lol. a bit like her

...if she were truly a psychic, she'd have known that advertising on any Art Bell program would have crashed her server and she could have paid her web hosting company to help handle the additional traffic.

Zzzzillion

Quote from: Donald Noory on November 24, 2015, 12:35:48 AM
Yeah they ought to refuse to air that dumb cunt's commercial and refuse her advertising money. Trying to take advantage of people's losses.

Wow, just heard that commercial. That's gross.

I'm not sure whether it's that or listening to Abba making me sick. Probably both.

Quote from: zeebo on November 24, 2015, 12:08:00 AM
It would be weird to see that stuff on a youtube vid someday, no?  Some of mine are completely baffling.  But cool settings - weird buildings, landscapes, cities, etc.  Where does it all come from?  Oops, sorry, wrong show.  Back to string theory.

All that you described, and I occasionally have some very cool, realistic flying dreams I wish I could hang onto.  It would be fantastic to be able to capture those!

inuk2600

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 24, 2015, 12:36:23 AM
'nite Tiger.

This is always perplexing in this day and age. I've never had an internet problem since the dial-up days. It's always really rock-solid on my phone, wifi, and tv. Where do you people live?

I think Tiger gets some Mexican internet service, Telnor?.

albrecht

Ugh, people bitch about commercials. Yeah. But if they support Art's show? So what, I already know from normal tv or radio that I have to take various drugs and cola products to have a life and then some pills to have sex, but, if risk for sex take some more pills and buy some other shit, maybe some Budlight and volley-ball game would help. In my world I'd ban but but, caveat emptor.

Zzzzillion

Quote from: Barfly on November 24, 2015, 12:38:13 AM
I just misunderstood the comment, now i get ya

Cut the cord brother. No need for cable these days.

Zzzzillion

Quote from: albrecht on November 24, 2015, 12:40:34 AM
Ugh, people bitch about commercials. Yeah. But if they support Art's show? So what, I already know from normal tv or radio that I have to take various drugs and cola products to have a life and then some pills to have sex, but, if risk for sex take some more pills and buy some other shit, maybe some Budlight and volley-ball game would help. In my world I'd ban but but, caveat emptor.

So would you be okay with a NAMBLA commercial?

FLLFlash

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 24, 2015, 12:22:40 AM
You're forgetting she likely does not look like her avatar.

She looks exactly like her avatar.  ;)

albrecht

that brain project he mentioned by Obama is an interesting thing. There already is some directives.