• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Meanandnasty

Quote from: Morgus on April 15, 2013, 12:15:03 AM
Ian sure his plugging his newest book a lot tonight,
He also mentioned he is moving to start his work on a phD.
Noory has a Phd, potty head down degree.  That's how he got the job and keeps it.

Meanandnasty

Stories of the digestive system made me queasy last evening, so I turned it off.

ItsOver

At least Ian isn't Jorch Snooree.  That's a big plus.

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on April 15, 2013, 04:07:37 PM
At least Ian isn't Jorch Snooree.  That's a big plus.
Agreed........yes, Ian has his idiosyncrasies, but he is smart and knows how to interview a guest.  He always asks the questions that I want answered. 

I'll take Ian over Noory.........no contest.     ;)

Finally, an Ian night.  A night we can dig into some ideas and focus on content rather than agenda.  Ian won't sell out.  And his guest was featured on Colbert recently so hopefully it will be a decent night.

I'm looking forward to the update on the Jordan Codices as well.

Nebraska888

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 12, 2013, 08:35:42 PM
Finally, an Ian night.  A night we can dig into some ideas and focus on content rather than agenda.  Ian won't sell out.  And his guest was featured on Colbert recently so hopefully it will be a decent night.

I'm looking forward to the update on the Jordan Codices as well.

Absolutely!  I'm looking forward to tonight's program!

Morgus

Ian mentioned on the air tonight that he would be the first hour guest with Noory on Wednesday, probably to discuss his newest book.

Scully

Quote from: Morgus on May 13, 2013, 02:31:57 AM
Ian mentioned on the air tonight that he would be the first hour guest with Noory on Wednesday, probably to discuss his newest book.

Thanks for the heads up, Morgus.

If they're going to talk about Ian's new book, I wonder how Noory is going to deal with the title, "How to Pray When You're Pissed at God"?  8)

MTB

I hope he reads it as "peepee'ed".

There was a Saturday Night Live sketch a few years ago where Peter Sarsgaard was invited to a pirate convention. The pirate attendees did not care about Peter's movies or acting, they just wanted to say "arrrgggh". More on this later.
      Ian's first guest was Ken Hanson, on to discuss the Jordan Codices. Tune in if you like that segment, I am lost. The main guest was Douglas Rushkoff, here to discuss his new book Present Shock. Rushkoff talked about all kinds of aspects of how society has changed and drew parallels to this with how fast technology is changing. From just this show, it sounds very similar to some of the premises in Alvin Toffler's Future Shock. There is more, some of it dealing with  Zen Buddhism ("the mind of the present is the dao") or perhaps Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (the importance of being aware of everyday tasks) and how this is becoming more important to us in our era of rapid change. However, is this really Present Shock or Present Sales? These themes are 2000 years old. Rushkoff and Punnet touched on Occupy Wall Street and the Tea Party for about two minutes during the main interview.
     Now back to the pirate convention-the callers seemed to really want to talk about Tea Party vs Occupy and their comments were essentially "arrrgghhh." I couldn't stick around anymore since this is the kind of chicken farm that C2C has cultivated in the last few years. The only future for those remaining on the chicken farm is to be made into a chicken pie. So this chicken got on his tricycle and left.

Ephemera: The only time a pirate listened to Sarsgaard was when Sarsgaard gave out the web address of an "adult barnyard antics" website.

ItsOver

C2C "Then"

C2C "Now"

Arrrgggh!!!

Morgus

Quote from: Scully on May 13, 2013, 02:56:38 AM
If they're going to talk about Ian's new book, I wonder how Noory is going to deal with the title, "How to Pray When You're Pissed at God"?  8)
Noory will probably shorten the title of the book just like the c2cam website has done on the mini-article on Ian up there right now, it only refers to the book as "How to Pray..."  :o

valdez

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 13, 2013, 07:54:42 AM
... Ian's first guest was Ken Hanson, on to discuss the Jordan Codices...The main guest was Douglas Rushkoff, here to discuss his new book Present Shock...  Zen Buddhism...Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...Occupy Wall Street...Tea Party..."arrrgghhh"...chicken farm...chicken pie....

Ian has a thing for those Codices.  I heard the whole thing was a fraud, but this Hanson guy said some of it is, and some of it isn't.  I dug what Hanson said about how the Hebrew language hasn't changed in thosands of years.  Awesome.  Even though I read that Motorcycle book when I was a snotty wretched kid, I understood nothing about what Ruskoff was talking about.  Nada.  But listening to Ian tackle these esoteric subjects, and how he adds to what the guest has said, and how the guest adds to what he has said, and all of it spinning into a genuine intellectual discussion, reminds me of why I like him.  Except for his twitter obsession.   

The C2C website no longer lists Ian as a guest for this Wednesday - it just says 'TBA'.

Perhaps Ma Noory got wind of it and threatened to wash George's mouth out with soap if he had that damn sacrrilegious book on.  That, or George didn't need the comparison with a host that actually knows the definitions of the words he uses.

What a shame - it would have been interesting to see how Ian played it.  Two old colleagues reminiscing?  Saccharin sweet at first, his competitive side finally giving way to un-contained sputter and bluster, with unaware George cluelessly asking him questions just before cutting to a break?   Perhaps Ian reprising his nonsensical call to George the time he *wasn't* drunk or hooked up with pharmaceuticals?  A live announcement regarding Ian's lack of a future on C2C?   An hour of Ian telling all the jokes he's made up this week, mixed in with the big words no one uses that he wants to impress with?

With Itchy and Scratchy off to university and Ian out west to broadcasting school, perhaps a Margery update is in order.  Any recent sightings of Dog the Bounty Hunter in the Twin Cities? 

Let's hope they can reschedule.

John Smith

What a breath of fresh air compared to that embarrassing babbler JBW. Give me Punnett and his faults over JBW and Noory any day. You know that when Punnett is hosting a show he is prepared, and he can hold his own intellectually with just about any guest.

Nebraska888

Quote from: John Smith on May 14, 2013, 06:31:28 AM
What a breath of fresh air compared to that embarrassing babbler JBW. Give me Punnett and his faults over JBW and Noory any day. You know that when Punnett is hosting a show he is prepared, and he can hold his own intellectually with just about any guest.

AGREED!!!!!    ;)

sleeplessinca

I like him too.  I think he was busy with his divinity degree when Snoorey was offered the show.  His medical issues may have undermined him anyway. 

b_dubb

For those of you who seem to want to piss on Ian for talking over guests ... Art did that ALL the time. I've been listening to stream and that happens all the time. I've also noticed that Art was all about the doom and gloom. Having trouble understanding why.

I really enjoyed Ian's recent show.

Quote from: b_dubb on May 15, 2013, 09:10:21 AM
For those of you who seem to want to piss on Ian for talking over guests ... Art did that ALL the time. I've been listening to stream and that happens all the time. I've also noticed that Art was all about the doom and gloom. Having trouble understanding why.

I really enjoyed Ian's recent show.

That's what I didn't like about Art.  He was entertaining and a great host but I came to believe his main purpose was to monger fear.  That's when I came to the conclusion that the purpose of C2C was to help control the masses by replacing the fear of God in people's lives.  After all, it was hard to believe a thinking host could believe most of that stuff.  I don't really believe it anymore -- not with Noory's ineptness -- although I still wonder considering the nature of his military background.  I hope I'm not sounding like a certain Art Bell conspiracist on here.

Even back then I looked forward to Ian for his genuinely thoughtful and honest interviews.  It was a refreshing change although Ian might do better on NPR than Coast to Coast.

Tinfoil Hat

That's an excellent point, GfP2216. One thing I've noticed is that those in power and those that have a public platform always seem to espouse some sort of religious bent, but practically never followed such in their own lives.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 15, 2013, 11:23:46 AM
It was a refreshing change although Ian might do better on NPR than Coast to Coast.

The format is completely different. He would have to go from 3 hour content to 20 minutes of content. Or if he did an hour long show it would have to be heavily produced (Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Radiolab, The Story-these three selected by newness + success) and he doesn't have the experience for that.

Boxcarro

Hello, Coast Gabbers! I listen to Streaming Classic Art Bell programs, but I joined to give a little info on Ian Punnett, a Minister in a Minneapolis, Minnesota church, I tried many times to get on the Call- In to ask him but never do...If you listen at his Sign-Off Remarks..
...and I Love Tiamat, too...
Well,  Tiamat is a chaos monster, a primordial goddess of the ocean, ... she gives birth to the first generation of deities; she later makes war upon them and is killed by the storm-god Marduk...(from Wikipedia) however in the Hebrew Scriptures, Marduk is the Evil God who Yahweh Hated, the God that demanded CHILDREN to be SACRIFICED by "passing them through the Fire." God spoke "which I hate!" On Ian's web page (or as it was 8 or so years ago) he states he is a Minister (Methodist? or Presbyterian? I am not sure..doesn’t matter) married to a Witch...and in the past he has spoken about Preaching...Yet he Claims to Love the Goddess of Chaos, and mother of the Cannibalistic  Evil God Marduk...I am sure he would Weasel if I was to ask, say "It s a CAT," or something, but These Are Majik spincaster's Spell-Words.

Aside from that, he Browbeats his Guests into backing down from their Statements, and instead of Interviews, He Leads The Discussion,

Therefore I believe he is the "ALEX JONES" of Mainstream AM Talk Radio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NOj_aXzew ::)

Morgus

Its now confirmed on the c2cam website (Ian mentioned it last Sunday) that Ian Punnett is to appear tonight as Noory's first hour guest to talk about his new book.
As expected the c2cam website doesn't list Ian's book full title, but shortens it to "How to Pray" 8)

Quote from: Boxcarro on May 15, 2013, 06:06:28 PM
Hello, Coast Gabbers! I listen to Streaming Classic Art Bell programs, but I joined to give a little info on Ian Punnett, a Minister in a Minneapolis, Minnesota church, I tried many times to get on the Call- In to ask him but never do...If you listen at his Sign-Off Remarks..
Well,  Tiamat is a chaos monster, a primordial goddess of the ocean, ... she gives birth to the first generation of deities; she later makes war upon them and is killed by the storm-god Marduk...(from Wikipedia) however in the Hebrew Scriptures, Marduk is the Evil God who Yahweh Hated, the God that demanded CHILDREN to be SACRIFICED by "passing them through the Fire." God spoke "which I hate!" On Ian's web page (or as it was 8 or so years ago) he states he is a Minister (Methodist? or Presbyterian? I am not sure..doesn't matter) married to a Witch...and in the past he has spoken about Preaching...Yet he Claims to Love the Goddess of Chaos, and mother of the Cannibalistic  Evil God Marduk...I am sure he would Weasel if I was to ask, say "It s a CAT," or something, but These Are Majik spincaster's Spell-Words.

Aside from that, he Browbeats his Guests into backing down from their Statements, and instead of Interviews, He Leads The Discussion,

Therefore I believe he is the "ALEX JONES" of Mainstream AM Talk Radio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NOj_aXzew ::)

I'm not sure if you're serious.  He says 'Deus te amat, and I do too' which means 'God loves you and I do too.'  I never knew anything about his wife so thanks for that.

..and welcome to the forums.

Morgus

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 15, 2013, 07:00:09 PM
He says 'Deus te amat, and I do too' which means 'God loves you and I do too.'
Thats correct, Ian has explained many times before and translated that latin phrase he has signed off with for years.

Quote from: Boxcarro on May 15, 2013, 06:06:28 PM

... married to a Witch...

Married to a witch?  I don't ever remember hearing that, has he really claimed to be?

Well that sucks.  It sounds like Ian will be leaving completely.

Morgus

Yes, Ian just announced tonight with Noory that he will be retiring from his final radio gig, one Sunday a month on c2c, to try to help with his tinnitus.
Looks like only two more shows left for Ian, his final c2c show will be the second Sunday in July.

Morgus

Ian and Noory and callers are now recalling some of Ian's strangest guests - including the DB Cooper expert guy, the man that thought he was a horse, and the Lindbergh baby...